Really? (Why can't you people finish anything?)

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

Really? (Why can't you people finish anything?)

Postby holyfamily4 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Fuck, no bitching on this. Bitching results in a tl;dr.

Why can't you people finish anything?

I swear most people that actually try and make games, get bored and start a new one that takes longer to complete.

And i'm sure as fuck a lot of you think the same thing. So. If your going to put up a game, finish it, THEN post it. Or, you take the "unfinished" games you have now, and just make them into full games by deleting content that you haven't finished.

Oh yeah, ban my ass if you want. It won't change anything.
holyfamily4

Re: Really? (Why can't you people finish anything?)

Postby Mechanios » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:45 pm

Have you ever made a full complete game?
Mechanios

Postby Z-Fied » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:38 pm

Well, as mechanios has said, have you ever made a full complete game... or just a game for that matter?

I'll use my game as an example here.

So, my game is divided up into several elements:

Graphics
Sound
Music
Gameplay
Story

The last one is the easiest, as the way I've done it is produce an outline of the plot, and I'm fleshing it out as I go along. So, that's the Story out of the way.

Graphics

For the Graphics... things are a lot harder when you're not using flash, because you can't just animate it by moving/stretching parts. Anyway, let's divide graphics up into several more parts:

Item Graphics
Character Graphics
Enemy Graphics
Backgrounds
Animation

Still not looking that bad? Okay, then here's what character sprites there are, note, this will have to be done for ALL characters, and for EACH weapon:

Standing Still
Aiming
Running (only one frame as this will be done in the animation section, and some running animations will have to look different for different weapons.)
Crouching
Crouching & Aiming
Jumping
Falling
Dead

However, this isn't the amount of sprites that needs to be done. So, let's say we're only doing Rebecca in my game, and that there's 11 weapons. So, we already have 88 (8x11) sprites. However, we haven't taken into account the clothing destruction system, so there is 7 (we may be lowering the number) frames of clothing destruction.

So, now we're currently at 616 images. This is for the character by herself only.

Animation

For the biting animation, there is 9 frames of animation, which have all been hand-drawn by FAPCOM. Once again, we have to times this by the number of clothing frames, which adds on another 63 images. (Total: 679)

Then we need to add the frames to the running animation, which there is about 8 frames, so we need to add another 49 (7x7) images. (we already counted 1 frame above)
(Total: 728)

Now, let's move onto the sexual grapples. We don't need to worry about clothing frames with this one, since the character will be nude for these. For each sexual grapple there is currently:

A Sex Loop Animation
A Sex Finish Animation

The Loop is about 6-10 frames long, we'll go with 8, and for the finish we'll say about 12 images, so that's 20 images. (Total: 748)

Well, if we times this by the number of characters (currently 6), here comes the best part, the current total comes to 4488 images (6x748)

We haven't even covered enemy sprites yet, so let's go onto enemy sprites and their animation.

Enemy sprites:

So, we have 6 enemies, and for each one, we need:

Standing/Idle - 1 image
Walking/Moving - 8 images, approx.
Attack (lunge, leap, etc.) - 10 images, approx.
Dying - 8 images

So, let's work out the total, (1+8+10+8)*6 = 162 images

Then let's move onto bosses, let's say we have 8:

Standing/Idle - 1 image
Walking/Moving - 6 images, approx.
Attack (lunge, leap, etc.) - 8 images, approx.
Special Attack - 12 images
Dying - 8 images

Once again, let's work out the total, (1+6+8+12+8)*8 = 280 images

Let's work out our overall total for character + enemy sprites: 442 + 4488 = 4930 images

I'm going to leave it here, otherwise I'll just spend the rest of my life typing out how much work there is. Note: That was only character + enemy graphics, I didn't even move onto backgrounds, item sprites, my coding, music, or sound.

All I can say is, I hope you really think about what you say before you say it next time. Sure, many people won't put as much work into their games, but it doesn't make it any easier. Hope this has helped you realise why a lot of games get scrapped early on.
Composer, Songwriter, Guitarist, Singer, Programmer, Gamer, and Zombie Expert!

My Project: Resident Evil: Progeny - Blog

"Our limits are only created by our mind, our dreams, our desires."
Z-Fied

Postby bed_intruder » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Really? (Who approved this guys post?)

Anyway everyone on here is very open to criticism, but when you're a jackass about it nobody really cares what you think. I'm surprised Z-Fied even bothered typing that much for you. Most people here don't have their entire life revolving around the making of a game. Maybe you should try actually using flash and opening up games' .fla and see the hard work that people put into it. Personally, I haven't finished mine because flash is complicated as hell for me and I find it hard to get into. I'll never understand how some people can make flash games so easily.

tl;dr stop bitching.
bed_intruder

Postby BlueLight » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:33 pm

holyfamily4 Wrote:Fuck, no bitching on this. Bitching results in a tl;dr.

I swear most people that actually try and make games, get bored and start a new one that takes longer to complete.

And i'm sure as fuck a lot of you think the same thing. So. If your going to put up a game, finish it, THEN post it. Or, you take the "unfinished" games you have now, and just make them into full games by deleting content that you haven't finished.

*SHAMELESS BULLSHITING BRAGGING*

So I have a perfect mind for programming. When i see a puzzle i keep at it until it's finished and since i have a very logical mind it doesn't normally take very long on most stuff.

Now with that in mind i got a question for you. HOW FRICKING EASY DO YOU THINK THIS IS!
I've got a 500kb sized application from a GUI alone and half the stuff in it i had to learn while programming it. That slows down the speed. from my understanding people are basically revere engineering action script games to make theres and that is amazing feet programming. I spent 5 month i guess learn java and these people who have a life were able to modify a game for you before they died or their girl friend dumb them for looking like a male slut. doen't matter... you know this rant is kinda pointless. Maybe i shouldn't make them 15 minutes before i wake up.

The low down of what i said ... sorta.

Programming hard.
Art is hard.
Logic is fun but hard.
I am not hard at this time.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Digfree » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Hey, i took all the code from a "complete game" called mario is missing, and put it into neooffice to show you how much code there is.

If you look in the BOTTEM LEFT you can see, there are 990 PAGES OF CODE. I mean sure there are books that long, but this is action script coding, that means you need to have EVERY PEICE OF CODE woven together. Even if you do EVERYTHING perfect and there is ONE mistake, that will FUCK UP THE GAME. Have fun debugging.

Also, I am an animater, it takes me hours to make one zerg for example. And more hours to animate it. again, have fun mate making your own game for free. People do this for money and a living, we are doing it for free and fun. It's like if I came to your fast food joint you work at and I went behind the counter and started flipping burgers, for the fun of it and for free.
Attachments
code.tiff
ImageImageImageImage
Digfree

Postby rooiehaan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:35 pm

people at this site: *start making game*
you: *get interested*
people: *stop making game*
you: *FFUUUUUU, make new thread, start bitching*
I: you mad bro?
Breathe easy, the doctors are about to arrive
rooiehaan

Postby holyfamily4 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:03 pm

Aha oh shit you guys are funny.

I'm TROLLING you. I troll because it's fun. And i accomplished my goal.

Yes, i like your games, and no I haven't made one.

So now, that you have explained what all goes into a game, maybe people will quit bitchin
holyfamily4

Postby bed_intruder » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:19 am

I couldn't help myself

lokrage.png
bed_intruder

Postby holyfamily4 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:26 am

That was pretty funny. But yeah.

That's why I'M making cats fuck dinosaurs. No big deal.
holyfamily4

Postby Z-Fied » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:04 am

Lol, t'was good, except I'm the british guy here, I deserve monacle & top hat :3
Composer, Songwriter, Guitarist, Singer, Programmer, Gamer, and Zombie Expert!

My Project: Resident Evil: Progeny - Blog

"Our limits are only created by our mind, our dreams, our desires."
Z-Fied

Postby Mechanios » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:29 am

Hahahahaha. That was a great rage comic, even if you spelt my name wrong. A handshake to you, my good sir.

As Z-fied had said, making a game (even a small one) is quite a task to under take. I've a game I've been working on for almost 10 years now. (Not in flash, mind you.) For the main character alone I have a good 2000~ animations. Throw supporting characters in there, enemies, cutscenes, special things, etc. That number can easily surpass the 10 000 mark.

That's not saying anything for programming, sounds, testing, storyline, etc. It's a fuckload of work. Just recently I passed the 40 hour mark of storyline gameplay. That's a huge achievement for me! :lol: I believe many programmers on here aren't flash designers/actionscript programmer by career, much like myself, and do this as a hobby. So: they do it bit by bit, day by day. All it truly takes it time, effort/passion and a willpower.
Mechanios

Postby Zaraki » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:25 am

holyfamily4 Wrote:Fuck, no bitching on this. Bitching results in a tl;dr.

Ignorance is bliss, and you must be high on it. Making flash games or any project of the kind takes lots of hard work, effort, and motivation to complete. Last time I checked, most of us on here have a life outside of this forum and our projects, and I don't know about you but that takes first priority over anything that goes on here. Projects are just that, projects, and will come to life as we find the time to finish it. Seriously, have some thought before you post. You might have the sight that the blind man does not have, but if the blind man uses his senses to see what your eyes cannot, that makes you the blind one.
"It has the form but not the spirit.But if something has the spirit, it is sacred enough."

"As long As I am still in the fight physically, mentally, and emotionally, I can never lose."
Zaraki

Postby holyfamily4 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:02 am

Look, your still not getting my point.

It would be better, if you just finished the game FIRST, then put it on here instead of people waiting around. Also, i have a life, everyone does, it would be scientifically impossible to not have a life.
holyfamily4

Postby Digfree » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:50 am

Z-Fied Wrote:Lol, t'was good, except I'm the british guy here, I deserve monacle & top hat :3

Oi, over my dead body >.>...

*fixes monocle*

And yeah. nice comic lol
ImageImageImageImage
Digfree

Postby BlueLight » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:18 am

holyfamily4 Wrote:Look, your still not getting my point.

It would be better, if you just finished the game FIRST, then put it on here instead of people waiting around. Also, i have a life, everyone does, it would be scientifically impossible to not have a life.

Why? Game live off feed back. By the time we release the game it's going to be so bug ridden and lacking of imagination that no one would play it.

think of them as alphas... think minecraft. Thats still in beta and yet it has sold how many copys?
BlueLight

Postby dndman997 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:50 pm

thumbs up to you bluelight. i agree live feedback as the game is being made so much better. it lets the creators know what the fans want inn the game. im sure every game ever made has done so this way.
dndman997

Postby bed_intruder » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:52 pm

holyfamily4 Wrote:That's why I'M making cats fuck dinosaurs. No big deal.

I don't think he's saying you have no life, but that people on here actually have a life outside of the forums and don't want to spend 90% of their free time developing a game. Or maybe they do and think it's fun idk. The reason people put up their games on here is for some feedback. "Hey you should do this and this." "Oh you can fix that by doing this." "This looks good, do you want any help with it?" Besides that, there's zero drive to complete a game if you don't know whether or not anybody would be interested in seeing it.Or if you add something that you like but everyone else finds disturbing then you can change it or and an option for it. Really if nobody posted their games until they were finished this site and probably many others wouldn't exist.
bed_intruder

Postby BlueLight » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:46 pm

I do it for the ego stroking.
BlueLight

Postby Zaraki » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:51 pm

bed_intruder Wrote:
holyfamily4 Wrote:That's why I'M making cats fuck dinosaurs. No big deal.

I don't think he's saying you have no life, but that people on here actually have a life outside of the forums and don't want to spend 90% of their free time developing a game. Or maybe they do and think it's fun idk. The reason people put up their games on here is for some feedback. "Hey you should do this and this." "Oh you can fix that by doing this." "This looks good, do you want any help with it?" Besides that, there's zero drive to complete a game if you don't know whether or not anybody would be interested in seeing it.Or if you add something that you like but everyone else finds disturbing then you can change it or and an option for it. Really if nobody posted their games until they were finished this site and probably many others wouldn't exist.

Epic Win Quote. And not just becuase it has an image of Jackie Chan trying to do a mindfuck.
"It has the form but not the spirit.But if something has the spirit, it is sacred enough."

"As long As I am still in the fight physically, mentally, and emotionally, I can never lose."
Zaraki

Next

Return to General