Computer crashes

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

Computer crashes

Postby BlueLight » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:50 am

Hello. So i am basically a computer hacker(not cracker) as much as one can be with out knowing how to program(I know how to program but never used it for anything hacker worthy)

Anyways i've been having computer crashes off and on now for a I guess 4 months now.
It really hasn't bugged me a before and it was only when i ran flash stuff like youtube at high resolution in full screen.
Anyways it stopped and i think it was something i did to fix it. Anyways before when it would crash it would pop up with a dialog box and say random exception has crashed and i would say 2 or 3 minutes after the computer would crash.

Well now i'm getting simpler crashes but this would seems to pertaining more to heat or general activity more than any one thing i'm doing.
It says random expection error has happened and i would say in 4 minutes it would shut down windows and crash.

It seems i have some bad sectors on my hard drive so i'm going to fix those and maybe play mine craft with fraps running to see how well it's working.
Now i'm just posting this so i can get feedback and suggestion of what to do.

EDIT
It seems i did error report 101 and didn't give any computer specs.

OS: Windows vista 64bit home upgraded to Windows7 64bit ultimate
Hard Drive: 320GBish drive
GPU: Nivida 9800m GTS
RAM: 4GB
Processor: something intel. I got a sticker that says "intel centrino 2 inside'tm" however i believe that the motherboard. I think the processor is a duecore but it might be a quadcore.
motherboard: no clue for sure. Maybe a intel centrino 2 inside'tm
HardDrive free space : 29GBish

Not sure what else to say until i make sure of things of my specs.

EDIT joke

New crash.
my computer says it's running critical on power and then i guess 10 minutes later it goes in to hibernation mode. It seems i need to lower how low the battery can get before it tells me it's on critical.
Last edited by BlueLight on Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Re: Computer crashes

Postby GolanTrevize » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:25 pm

What happens when the crash occurs? It´s a windows error, or it´s from one process?
Current project: Dark moon (Artists needed)
GolanTrevize

Postby BlueLight » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Unsure of the question or can't really answer. All i know is that i got a exception that might look lie "24530349f39e" when ever it crashes.
How ever this last time i noticed that the dialog had a title that said something "IPoint" something and I know IPoint is a application or a driver that starts up when i start windows.
Not sure what it does. Likely something that came with the computer.

I think it was some bad sectors on my hard drive. I chkdsk and i got some results.
BlueLight

Postby BlueLight » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Can't be sure if it's fixed yet. Anyone want to see me playing minecraft? that should tell me.
BlueLight

Postby bed_intruder » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:21 am

Not sure what to tell you, if the problem persists I'd try finding a spare hard drive out of an old computer or borrowing from someone or reinstalling windows. If all else fails you might just want to have someone you know check it out. Have you been doing anything graphics or processor intensive lately?

Edit: Here's something about the IPoint thing.
bed_intruder

Postby demise23 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Does it just crash randomly, or does it crash whenever you try and run a certain program?
Yes, This is Gorz, the Emissary of Darkness. So what if I play Yu-Gi-Oh? At least I don't smoke, do drugs, drink, or break the law!
demise23

Postby BlueLight » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:07 am

randomly. I have a higher chance with a flash video like youtube or VLC since i'm normally watching a lot and in HD so i'm just have a higher amount of chance and resources being used.
If i play something like tropico4 it will crash the computer i would say in 20 or 10 minutes depending on how hot it was to start with.

I'm saving up money to send it in to a repair shop. While i bet i could get my dad and step mom to pay for it i would rather not since some of what needs to be repaired is from a abusive owner (Damn your stupid powers that i trip over).
BlueLight

Postby BlueLight » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:10 am

bed_intruder Wrote:Not sure what to tell you, if the problem persists I'd try finding a spare hard drive out of an old computer or borrowing from someone or reinstalling windows. If all else fails you might just want to have someone you know check it out. Have you been doing anything graphics or processor intensive lately?

Edit: Here's something about the IPoint thing.

This is a gaming laptop that was able to Battlefield bad company 2. So it has the beef to do graphic or processor intensive stuff.
The thing is that it's crashing at a heat that it's normal for it and i'm watching stuff like youtube when i can crash so mildly processor intensive stuff if anything.
BlueLight

Postby bed_intruder » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:17 am

Not sure. In that link I posted it says something that may be part of the problem as far as the IPoint is concerned.

Non-system processes like ipoint.exe originate from software you installed on your system. As most applications store data in your system's registry, it is likely that your registry has suffered fragmentation and accumulated harmful errors.

What you could do is find a registry checker and find out if there are any errors in the registry and try to fix the problems or I'd imagine deleting the files associated with the error would work as well.
bed_intruder

Postby BlueLight » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:19 am

Good idea and have software i need to renew to do this. Still need time to get money in the bank account.
BlueLight

Postby BlueLight » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:08 pm

So i was talking to my dad and he put in my mind the idea of dust cause this error.
Anyways i unscrewed all the panels i was willing to on the back cleared a bit of dust off. I also noticed that i have like a giant dust bunny covering 1/3 of a fan. I was able to deloge some of it but that all i will be able to do.

Anyways the casing seeming to be warming up more and computer seem to stop crashing. I was playing minecraft for a good hour or so with a few slow downs. I less worried about my PC crashing now but i'm still going to take it slow on what i test it with.
BlueLight

Postby bed_intruder » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 am

Lol well dust would be a pretty obvious reason why it's heating up. If you can't get all the dust out of the fans with compressed air try unscrewing them and dampen a Q-tip with water (which would be why I said to take the fans out). Dust should come off pretty easy. If your fan covering the processor is dirty then it wouldn't matter how clean your other fans are because when the processor heats up too much it will automatically shut down by itself to prevent you from killing it. If it's clean then you might try cleaning the power supply's fan as well; it's probably pretty dirty the way you're making it sound.
bed_intruder

Postby BlueLight » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:58 am

So i have a Gateway computer that is possible to upgrade and to make that easier they added panels to the bottom for easy access so i was able to get to my memory and harddisk.

I sorta cleaned these areas as best i could with out killing my self or the computer.
I think alot of my heating is coming form the one fan that i can't get to really.
My casing is really screwed from me tripping over the power code one to many times and while i think i could possible re screw the bottom on i don't want to try so i'm just going to bank some cash and get the people at the repair shop to look at the PC, clean it, and replace the case. I need to get this done before i go to college.
BlueLight

Postby BlueLight » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:35 am

My computer has more than a 1000% increase in proficiently. Price = priceless!
My computer with new casing and repairs. price = 300$ that i aint playing yet.

basically i got my computer working for free (so far) and told to get the casing of my computer fix would be 300$ if they buy the parts. 150 + parts if i get them and they rebuild the computer.

Anyways i have been running my computer harder than normal.
Before my computer would over heat in about 20 minutes playing tropico 4.
I just did another tutorial level and i didn't check the time but i was watching TV so i don't think i was less than 30 minutes. anyways my computer wasn't even stressed. Now to up the graphics to a playable level.

Anyways the only thing they did to fix my computer was blow alot of compressed air in to my PC.
BlueLight

Postby Not Scarface » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:23 am

Wow.. I can't help with that.
In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.
Not Scarface

Postby BlueLight » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:31 am

I was playing dwarf fortress for a few hours so it seems to be fix. Battle field bad company was a little laggy at random times but most likely that's just lack of maintenance software side.
BlueLight

Return to General