Forum Cleaning

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

Forum Cleaning

Postby Thaedael » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:41 am

Hey Thaedael here,

Essentially I have been a little bit caught up in side projects lately, not to mention health issues and of course school starting again. Now that a bit of free time has been loosened up for my schedule combined with a long weekend, I finally plan to address the issues of the database errors by going through the forums and cleaning up threads that are abandoned, really old, or just serve no purpose anymore. This might cause some other database issues but should be dealt with decently fast. I also plan to expand the forum rules a little more to prevent hundreds of image macros from being posted as well as a few other things that have come to light as of late.

Sorry for any inconveniences this may bring, the moderating team will try and fix any issues arising from these transitions.
Thaedael

Re: Forum Cleaning

Postby Zaraki » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:26 am

Sounds great. Love the forum on here. Keep up the good work.
"It has the form but not the spirit.But if something has the spirit, it is sacred enough."

"As long As I am still in the fight physically, mentally, and emotionally, I can never lose."
Zaraki

Postby Thaedael » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:47 am

Quick Update;
Discussion Section is done, moving to the Role-playing Section;
For anyone checking out the tutorial section, moved a bunch of stuff from here to the discussion section which will need to be edited a bit to snip to the useful bits. Once again working as fast as I can so just bare with me a little longer. At least you got a mostly clean slate for discussion. Just try to keep threads in the proper areas, and try to find threads for the same topic if possible. Also cut back on the image macros if possible ^^.

Edit; The RP section has now been cleaned too. I am done working on it for now, having spent a lot of time doing everything up to now. I am going to continue tomorrow and finish off the next to sub sections if possible.
Thaedael

Postby GolanTrevize » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:20 pm

Could you move this topic to creative corner?I think now is a more adecuate location for it
Current project: Dark moon (Artists needed)
GolanTrevize

Postby Renara » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:37 pm

While I don't really want to contradict Thaedael, I'm not actually convinced the database errors having anything to do with database size (I've had much larger databases behave just fine).
I think the issue is mostly to do with the high volume of traffic these forums receive, resulting in limits being reached on the maximum number of simultaneous database connections, which I unfortunately don't have any control over.

Anyway, for those of you encountering database errors, I'd appreciate it if you can copy the contents of the error and post them in this topic in the Bugs forum. Don't worry though if it's a message about connection limits or such, as those are to be expected unfortunately, unless I can find a way to buy a private server in future!
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby GolanTrevize » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:01 pm

Renara Wrote: unless I can find a way to buy a private server in future!

We could put adverts in the forum,i´ve seen them in forums like this. They dont have to be molest, we could place them at the end of every page. We could get some money if only the members clic, and a lot if we could get money from most visitors.
Current project: Dark moon (Artists needed)
GolanTrevize

Postby bed_intruder » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:16 pm

Pretty sure this has been brought up several times before, but basically the main reason why there can't be any ads on here is that the project itself is based upon copyrighted characters. As of right now, it is legal for people to be making these types of games on here because it would fall under the fair use laws. The fine line between making a parody, and stealing copyrighted work, is whether or not you are turning a profit of any kind from doing so. As soon as Renara puts up an ad or accepts any donations for the furthering of this project or site, it can be shutdown and he can be sued by the copyright holders. My understanding of the law anyway. Here's a wiki about it.

As for the forum cleaning, thanks for taking the time to do so Thaedael.
bed_intruder

Postby Renara » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:57 am

I don't believe that it would be illegal for the forums themselves to have adverts, as they're a side-interest and they're not part of the game really. Just like any fan-site for franchise that wants to support itself. The question of legality would only really come in if we were charging money for people to play the game.
I doubt advertising revenue would come close to a proper server though, as the site currently uses over 850gb of bandwidth a month, and mostly via the forums! There may be some ways to slim that down a bit to help things run a bit more smoothly in the short term, but in the long-run my aim is to upgrade the forums with a little something I've been working on for a paid project, though its message board capabilities are currently far too basic to do that any time soon.
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby bed_intruder » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:52 pm

Maybe you could idk, really I doubt Nintendo would break out a law suit over it but if they saw it they'd probably send a cease-and-desist type deal over to you. Just out of curiosity, how much would it cost you a month for better servers on here?
bed_intruder

Return to General