weird forum issues?

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

weird forum issues?

Postby Kuragari » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:53 pm

Anyone else getting messages like these when posting or accessing certain pages?

g] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/message_parser.php on line 69: preg_match(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/message_parser.php on line 69: preg_match(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/memberlist.php on line 512: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/memberlist.php on line 513: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
Kuragari

Re: weird forum issues?

Postby Kuragari » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:09 pm

spoiler codes and other things also seem to not be working anymore.
Kuragari

Postby musical74 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:14 pm

Happened too quick for me to see what it was, but there was "something" right before the "post was successful" thing. Maybe tied to a webpage glitching?
musical74

Postby MiscChaos » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:45 am

Issue has been reproduced and reported. Will let you know when it is resolved
There's organized chaos, then there's normal chaos. And then there's miscellaneous chaos...
Moderator primarily hanging out in the RP section
Also, ran the Pokemon RP!

Need to contact the moderation team?
MiscChaos

Postby Renara » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:43 pm

Sorry, recently installed some updates to the server, including an update to a newer PHP version; I thought I'd tested enough but it seems specific BBCode tags were affected, not all of them for some reason, so the ones I tried didn't cause the problem, bah!

For those interested, older versions of phpBB use a horrible old pattern matching option /e (eval) which PHP stopped supporting a while ago, which caused all pattern based replacement functions to break where that option is used, and sadly its used heavily for BBCode; I replaced all of these, but it seems the newer version of PHP has also broken pattern matching if the option is found there too, even though it's harmless when matching (as no replacement takes place).

Anyway, I've fixed it again where this occurs for the time being; really, really need to find the time to properly upgrade to either a newer version of phpBB or another forum software that has the features we need.

If you still encounter this warning anywhere, please post here or PM me directly (if you can)
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Kuragari » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:17 pm

Roger roger, will keep an eye out, and glad to hear that it should be fixed~

EDIT: Well okay, had a sudden issue trying to reply here.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php on line 451: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php on line 212: Illegal string offset 'entopic_notify'
Kuragari

Postby Renara » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:27 pm

Kuragari Wrote:Roger roger, will keep an eye out, and glad to hear that it should be fixed~

EDIT: Well okay, had a sudden issue trying to reply here.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php on line 451: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php on line 212: Illegal string offset 'entopic_notify'

Thanks, this should be fixed too!

This one's weird, as it's just a flat out bug with phpBB not resetting some values properly; the odd part is that it was a bug before the upgrade, so I'm not sure why it's only surfaced now, maybe earlier PHP versions just ignored them?
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Hugh mann » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:51 am

A screen displaying this message appears briefly before the profile page loads, afterwards it is displayed at the top of the page.
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Screenshot-2019-12-31 Legend of Krystal Forums • Viewing profile - Renara.png
Hugh mann

Postby Renara » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:40 pm

Hugh mann Wrote:A screen displaying this message appears briefly before the profile page loads, afterwards it is displayed at the top of the page.
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Screenshot-2019-12-31 Legend of Krystal Forums • Viewing profile - Renara.png

Whoops, I saw your post not long after you submitted it, but forgot to say I'd fixed it. (Late) thanks for letting me know about it!
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Renara » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:28 pm

Hey everyone, sorry about the site being down earlier, seems to have been another connectivity problem at Dreamhost. They say it's now resolved and things seem fine again, though they didn't explain what was wrong.

It's actually been a weird day for technical issues; one of my paid jobs suffered an outage due to some weird bug in a new version of OpenSSL, which was causing all of a site's API calls to fail, I wonder if the two problems are related? It's easy to forget how reliant most of the modern internet is on OpenSSL, that is of course until it breaks ;)

Anyway, hope everybody is well and that the downtime didn't affect anyone too badly; if it did, let me know and you'll give you a full refund on totally free :D
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Kuragari » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:05 am

Let's just make this into the general thread for such things.

The forum seemed to be down, something about an incorrect certificate? It seems to be fine now.
Kuragari

Postby Renara » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:23 am

Sorry about that, security certificate for the site didn't install properly so the previous one was still being used and expired.
Let's Encrypt is a great service for getting free security certificates, but their tools are a bit of a pain in the arse when you need to use custom install paths.
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Postby Kuragari » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:31 pm

Gotcha. It didn't last terribly long (or it didn't seem like it) but it was a surprise since the forum has been working rather well of late.
Kuragari

Postby musical74 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:03 am

Error 522 Ray ID: 5ccb4da46ba21392 • 2020-09-03 00:20:09 UTC
Connection timed out

Site seemed to be down for a few hours when I tried to log in, kept getting the time out error. Was the site being updated or something?
musical74

Postby musical74 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:52 am

Just got this, but refreshing worked, so not what to make of it...

Error 525 Ray ID: 61d23ecd7e7af595 • 2021-02-06 04:49:34 UTC
SSL handshake failed

What does a SSL handshake mean anyways?
musical74

Postby Renara » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:25 am

musical74 Wrote:Just got this, but refreshing worked, so not what to make of it...

Error 525 Ray ID: 61d23ecd7e7af595 • 2021-02-06 04:49:34 UTC
SSL handshake failed

What does a SSL handshake mean anyways?

SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is the S in https and provides the encrypted connection between your browser and the LoK site (you should see a padlock or similar around your address bar to indicate this). The SSL handshake is the procedure during which your browser and the site's server establishes how to handle the encryption; basically to encrypt data you need a secret key, but to do that with a web-site you can't just ask for one (as this wouldn't be secure) so the handshake is a process that uses clever math™ to generate the same secret key at both ends without having to send it between them (this is called Diffie-Hellman key exchange, which uses public key/asymmetric key cryptography if you want to read up on lots of technical details ;))

It is weird that it would fail though; if refreshing worked then it's hopefully just a one-off issue or the server was too busy to respond or something.
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Return to General