For profit and the God-Emperor (Earthling)

Forum for publicly viewable but closed-group role-playing.

For profit and the God-Emperor (Earthling)

Postby Phoenixcz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:39 pm

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Name: Falkon de Aquile
Sex: Male
Appearence: https://www.deviantart.com/yuchenghong/ ... tion_stack
Background: Falkon de Aquile is the heir to the once great Aquile dynasty of Rogue Traders, alas, they have over the last few centuries fallen on hard times, not least because another Rogue Trader dynast seems to have set it as their purpose to destroy them.
Never the less, after growing up and learning on his fathers ship, Falkon has now inherited command over it, as his father retired to a pleasure world.
And the young man is fully set to restore their family's name to greatness, and bring about the truth of the target on their back.

Attributes
Power 1
Finesse 1
Intellect 2
Charisma 2
HP 12/12

Proficencies:
Swordsmanship
Marksmanship
Leadership

Ship:
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Name: The Valiant Rose
Ship: Dauntless-class light Cruiser
Armaments: broadside Sunsear laser batteries, prow Titanforge lance.

The Valiant Rose, an ancestral ship of Falkons dynasty, is a millennia-old Dauntless-Class Light Cruiser.
In it's time as a rogue trader vessel it has been modified to suit it's owners' vanities to include numerous cargo holds and luxury passenger cabins. Not to mention the grandiose trophy hall where an entire dynasty's deeds have been collected.
It's crew have not been forgotten either, actually afforded amiable accommodations, after all. They need to be in shape if need be.

Along with this it carries the requesite medicinal facilities, armories and so on.

However, the most interesting facet about this ship is it's ancient machine spirit, which seems to have a much higher level of intelligence than usual. Helping Falkon coordinate information on the bridge, and aim the weapons. Question is what more it can do.

Success breeds envy, and the competitors of de Aquile rogue trader dynasty had reasons to be very envious indeed. At the height of their power and wealth, trade routes used by the dynasty criss-crossed the galaxy, from the edges of the Eye of Terror to the realm of Ultramar, from the orbit of Holy Terra itself to the farthest borders of the Imperium of Man. Hundreds of vessels in dozens of separate fleets, wealth beyond counting and ears and favors of planetary governors, sector commanders and even High Lords of Terra. Or so the stories and ancient records say. But wealth also breeds complacency. Why brave the dangerous void beyond the Imperium's borders, when you can live a life of luxury and indulgence? Why seek new trade routes, when the ones you already have earn you more than you can spend in dozen lifetimes? Why fear the uncertain future, when life is good and easy?

A mercantile empire that took millenia to build collapsed in less than a century. When Cadia fell and the Great Rift tore the galaxy asunder, trade routes were no longer traversable, fleets lost to the dangers of the void, mutinies or simply beyond the reach of astropathic communications and the light of the Astronomican, wealth lost to the pirates, xenos, traitors, and even just desperate and panicking imperial citizens. After a lifetime of idleness, your ancestors couldn't adapt to the new realities in time. The few captains they had left felt abandoned and sought new patrons, or their own paths. Competing dynasties took over once profitable contracts. Your father did all he could, but as his last remaining freighter vanished without trace, even he surrendered the hope of regaining what was lost. Taking a significant portion of the dynasty's remaining wealth, he retired to a paradise world, accompanied by his former helmswoman, leaving his ship to you.

The Valiant Rose. Not the biggest or most powerful ship your dynasty has ever owned, but the oldest. The one that, in a different age, formed the foundation of de Aquile's achievements. The ship whose name is listed on the ancient parchment held safely in stasis, the very warrant proclaiming the birth of de Aquile dynasty. The ship that will be there when, the Emperor willing, your dynasty will rise from its ashes.

Your ship.

The Imperium is in chaos. Countless worlds lost just in the Imperium Sanctus, where the Astronomican's light still shine, many more beyond the Great Rift. Enemies everywhere, without and within. But with turmoil comes opportunity. A primarch walks amongst mortals once again. Indomitus Crusade, the greatest undertaking since the Great Crusade ten millenia ago, is ongoing. A new routes will need to be found, lost worlds rediscovered. New and old enemies to be fought, rivals to be faced, treasures to be claimed. Time to get to work.

As far as anyone can tell, 74.M42. Give or take a thousand years.
Void port secundus, orbiting hive world Phaera

The Valiant Rose is ready. It took most of your remaining funds, but you had to be certain your new flagship is as close to a perfect working order as humanly possible. Systems had to be maintained, stores filled, accumulated damage from past battles and the everyday dangers of void travel repaired, the ship's crew filled with new blood. The void port's workers, adepts and servitors disembarked your ship, ensuring you that their work is done. Too many details to keep in mind for a young captain. Luckily for you, Calia Houte, your father's seneshal, and, in some ways, your adoptive mother, decided to stay with you and keep her position in the crew. Without her, you would be truly overwhelmed.

Calia approaches you on the ship's bridge, her expression severe. She's not here as your friend, but as an officer on duty. "Captain." She salutes you. Formal, but understandable... many members of the crew are still uncertain about your captainship, and she has to set an example for them to follow. She softens her voice "We have a problem. Nobody on station wants to make a trading contract with us." That is indeed a problem. You need to make at least some profit, and soon. With the docking fees, the maintenance payment and supplies, you are pretty much broke, and the mercenary company serving as the ship's security and your army-for-hire won't stand not being paid. "It seems that traders were threatened by local criminal group to stop dealing with us. Why, I don't know. We've also been contacted by the representitave of van Hepels" She frowns. Van Heppel is a mercantile family that took over some of former de Aquile trade routes and is the suspect in the case of at least one of your lost merchant ships. They have influence in the surrounding sector, and contacts beyond, though they they aren't proper rogue trader and lack the rights to travel beyond pre-approved routes. "And by unknown party. Both parties want to arrange meeting with you, though they did not mentioned why. It could be related to the merchant problems, or some sort of trap."
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Re: For profit and the God-Emperor (Earthling)

Postby Earthling » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:18 pm

"Gh..." Falkon grit his teeth as he bit lightly on a knuckle before sighing and brushing some of his lustrious hair out of his face "Indeed, they are probably traps. But they are ones we have to walk into, and turn around."
Turning around he begins to head back towards his massive vessel "We might as well put our mercenaries to use. I'll talk to Miss Aran, she is responsible for my personal safety after all. Can you send acceptance letters to their delegates? Hopefully we can resolve this with profit in our pocket via diplomacy, or by eliminating our enemies."
Earthling

Postby Phoenixcz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:01 pm

Calia nods slightly. "Do you want to invite them aboard, or meet them on the station? And which one do you want to meet first?"
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby Earthling » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:09 pm

"I doubt they'd agree to meet me on my own ship at this time. And I would loathe to invite hooligans so soon. Nay, let's meet them here on the station. See if there's a nice canteen or some such where we can meet them... Aaaand lets start with the Criminals. If things work out with them, we can immeditately take some contracts with the local factoriums. If it doesn't... We may be able to make a deal with the Van Helpes as a stopgap, as Loathe as I am to say it, they have influence we could make use of." Falkon nods to himself "And don't worry. I will make sure to bring enough protection."
Earthling

Postby Phoenixcz » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:52 pm

"I will look for a suitable meeting place and send the messages. Any other things I should take care of while I'm at it?"
Phoenixcz

Postby Earthling » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:19 pm

"Uh... yeah, can you see if you can find any more contraceptives? I think I'm out."
Earthling

Postby Phoenixcz » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:27 pm

Calia's serious expression cracks and she gives you a sly grin "Planning to celebrate the Rose's launch, are you? Good thing you take it responsibly, nobody wants battle for succession few decades down the line. I'll get you some, don't worry."
Phoenixcz

Postby Earthling » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:23 pm

The young man blushes slightly "Heh, thanks...." Before straighening up "Don't tell Sofie I still blush about that. She never lets me live it down."
Earthling

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:28 am

Her expression turns back serious. "I won't. But an advice, be careful when you mention your weaknesses. I won't abuse that knowledge. Propably...." Calia winks mischievously at you. "But other people might. If you tell me you want to keep it a secret, I now have something I can hold over you, even if I wouldn't pay attention to a blush otherwise. And there will be time when more than just some friendly teasing will be on the line." You know Calia means it well. She want you to be ready for the perils you'll undoubtedly face as a captain of your own ship and a rogue trader. She may not be much of a warrior, at least as far as you know, but she's a shrewd negotiator, and can bark orders like she owned the Rose in a way that would make guard sargeants jealous when she needs to. And she does tend to collect useful informations, even though she never used any against you.
Phoenixcz

Postby Earthling » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:09 pm

"Heh, but was it not also you that taught me to mislead with false weaknesses?" Falkon suddenly smirked as his blush faded "She teases me anyway, and in return I take out my frustration on her."
The young man's loins stirred slightly as he remembered last time such an exchange occurred. His seed seeped out of his childhood friends every hole after he was done.
Earthling

Postby Phoenixcz » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:09 am

Calia smiles again at your retort. "It was, and I'm glad you remembered those lessons." When you continue, she looks thoughtful: "I'll have to talk to her about that. Such behavior is acceptable amongst siblings, or at least as close to siblings as you two are, anyway, but you're a captain and am officer under your command now, such insubordination shouldn't be tolerated. It would set up a bad example for the others, and that's the last thing you need right now." Calia doesn't look entirely happy about that, and you wonder how'll Sofia react. The girl clearly loves when her misbehavior provokes you into 'punishing' her, but Calia's right, an insubordinate officer is a problem for a new captain who didn't yet earned his crew's trust.
Phoenixcz

Postby Earthling » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:46 pm

"Yeah, she should probably at least keep it to private." Falkon sighed "But right, we should both set off with our tasks."
Earthling

Postby Phoenixcz » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:04 pm

Calia gives you a perfect salute. "Yes, sir!" She's a bit louder than strictly necessary, no doubt more for the benefit of any other bridge officers in the earshot than for yours. She then promptly departs to make the necessary calls and arrangements.

You, on the other hand, make your way to find Sialla Aran, the commander of the mercenary company you employ as your enforcers and the security force aboard The Valiant Rose, the head of your security detail, and defacto your Master-at-arms. Your first visit the barracks where the mercenaries live, but she's not there. Few questions later, you're directed to the ship's munitorium. There, you find Sialla accompanied by her quartermaster and a small army of servitors, tech-adepts and mercenaries. For the reasons of safety, the mercenaries are required to store most of their arsenal while in transit, instead of keeping it with them, and it seems Siella makes sure every piece of equipment is accounted for and ready before the ship departs. She's busy, so unless you want to grab her attention right now, you'll have to wait a bit before she finishes whatever inventory checks she's currently busy with. Not that it's necessary a problem, at least it'll give you some time to appreciate the *very* form-fitting blue bodysuit she's wearing, which would definitely be against uniform regulations aboard Navy vessels or amongst Imperial Guard units.

When she notices you, she waves off the quartermaster's next question and focuses her attention to you. "Boss? Need something?"
Phoenixcz

Postby Earthling » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:41 pm

Falkon had indeed been admiring her firm behind when she turned around, causing his gaze to quickly rise in oder to meet hers "Right, I have a small assignment for you. Eventually I will have meetings with individuals that might want to infilct harm upon me. I want you and a couple of your finest to be my bodyguards during those engagements. But subtly. I have asked my senechal to set the arrangement in fine dining, and a number of heavily armed soldiers in full combat gear would disrupt the atmosphere."
Earthling

Postby Phoenixcz » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:48 am

Sialla either didn't notice, or doesn't react to your stare. But even if she did, how could she blame you? If she didn't want to be ogled, she could've picked something more modest. No doubt the mercenaries are also enjoying the view. Perhaps she dresses like this on a purpose?

She thinks about your words for a moment. "I'll see what I can do, but my men aren't exactly trained in subtlety. Could use more informations, check out the place first to see what we're working with."
Phoenixcz

Postby Earthling » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:12 pm

"Calia is still working on arranging the locale, and don't worry your men will just have to put on dress uniforms and enjoy themselves unless there's trouble (it'll be on my bill anyways). We do need to find you some clothing befitting a Rogue Traders woman though. We want them to underestimate you. "
Earthling

Postby Phoenixcz » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:29 pm

Sialla narrows her eyes and looks down her own outfit. "Very well." She doesn't look thrilled about it. "I'll feel naked without a proper weapon, though."
Phoenixcz

Postby Earthling » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:55 pm

"Mmh... We will find something sexy, but that can still conceal a pistol. I still want you to be able to inflict serious damage." Falkon smirked as he eyed her up and down "I think my tailors ought to be able to put something nice togheter."
Earthling

Postby Phoenixcz » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:25 am

Sialla looks at her attendants briefly before turning her attention back to you. "Is this meeting going to be soon? I still have a lot of gear to check here, and I assume the dress will take a while to make too."
Phoenixcz

Postby Earthling » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:05 pm

"Time... Is also still being arranged, but I expect to hear from Calia soon." Falkon nodded "So the sooner we can get the measurements done the sooner you can return to the arsenal."
Earthling

Next

Return to Private Games