Winterfell's Trap Heir [Sallin_Kari]

Forum for publicly viewable but closed-group role-playing.

Re: Winterfell's Trap Heir [Sallin_Kari]

Postby Firehead » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:36 am

The three of them greet you in turn before you all begin the small talk. The pair talk about a particularly nasty set of bandits they had to clear out of the mountains near their land, and you'd heard word that the two, when fighting together, were quite the pair to be rekoned with. You are also informed of the lovely Plums that are growing in their orchard which Mistress Whiteguard calls for a bowl of. Once the bowl is in place, she settles in to get down to business. "Now Princess, I'm sure you have much on your plate to be discussing trivial matters from the borders. Please, is there anything a humble family could offer one such as you?"
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:19 am

I comment on their story of bravery with respectful awe, inquiring if they are fine, knowing full well that if they weren't they wouldn't be here, but I was fishing to see if the lord would mention his blade being in disrepair of any kind as an opening to offer my gifts but don't press the issue if he doesn't give me anything to work with. It seems like the mistress is tired of beating around the bush. "Yes well unfortunately my mother's love of spectacle has created quite the mess and I find myself at odds with my beloved elder sister," I play up the melodrama a tad in an almost pouty way to show my dislike for facing against my sister before getting more serious, "So I do find myself in need of allies and I'm not so silly to trust the first person to approach me with sweet promises, and need someone I can trust to help me shift the glass from the diamond."
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

I figure that the nobility of a country that worships beauty will probably not use the phrase 'separate the wheat from the chaff' hence my new saying, which has the added layer of those who pretend to be beautiful diamonds but are really just cheap glass.
Random person in the comments section of a random hentai manga- "Now I am ashamed of myself."
Me- "Posh, shame is for fools and people with friends... we need no such things, we have the internet."
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:00 am

Lord White guard shakes off your concern. "No, they were tough enough to give the average soldier trouble, but our blades suffered harm cutting into them than they manged to do to us." You figure that's about the best opening you're going to get for the oil before you turn to the real reason for your visit.

The Lady of the house smiles. "I'm glad to hear that you see us as such trustworthy allies, my Princess." She leans back a little with a smile. "Would you be looking to seal our assistance with some kind of alliance?" It was clear she was looking for some kind of reward while not wanting to outright ask for it.
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:00 am

"I heard that quality oil can help prevent that," I lead in, "I did happened to bring some that you might want to try." I look to my maids for them to produce it hands it over to the lord, letting him examine it as I state, "Which reminds me, I did bring some gifts as well." Handing over the rest and giving the lady a speak about how rare and popular the perfume is.

"Of course. The most trusted should get special positions. Traditionally this would be through marriage but I wouldn't want to impose on my friend," I stop to look at Celeswyn's reaction. Last thing I want to do is force her into it.
Random person in the comments section of a random hentai manga- "Now I am ashamed of myself."
Me- "Posh, shame is for fools and people with friends... we need no such things, we have the internet."
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:48 am

They each take a look at the gifts you had provided each looking rather pleased with their new prize. "Well, these are quite a generous gifts, your highness. We had brought presents of our own, but with so many others presenting gifts, I felt it best to present them privately, so as to not be so overbearing." She claps, and a few moments later a small box is brought to you. Inside is a chocker made of silk with diamonds in the shape of a heart. You knew the mountains in there territory had their fair share of diamond mines, but its climate is completely wrong for silk, so thay had to have imported that.

Celeswyn blushes and turns away looking more embarrassed by the prospect than bothered by it.
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:25 am

"Thank you for your thoughtfulness... The court can be overbearing at times when they all want something," I gratuitously thank them. I open it up and let out a little gasp, "Oh, how lovely! May I know who crafted it? I simply must know!" I proudly put on this lovely gift immediately, wearing it with pride. Of course Celeswyn would know of my tastes in accessories. The little girl is learning to be devious it seems.

With her not objecting I continue, turning over the discussion to the Lady, "Do you think a marriage alliance be the most appropriate?"
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:19 am

The lady smiles as you ask about the crafter of the item she had presented to you. "We have recently found a young girl with quite the talent as a seemstress. We have done our best to make use of her talent, but it can be difficult to get her materials to work her art." You do take note that they are dressed a little finer than you remember them to usually being.

"Yes, a marital alliance would certainly be appropriate. Our Celeswyn would make a fine wife for a future queen." Celeswyn blushes grows even deeper, "Mother, do you really have to say such things?" She turns back to you taking a deep breath to calm herself. "Of course, I would be more than happy to accept and join our houses."
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:57 am

"I understand that... Perhaps we can make an arrangement were I can source some material for her?" I offer. No reason to limit the profits you make after all.

"Well I think your mother has a point," I tease Celeswyn before smiling at her as she accepts. After the moment passes I add, "Unfortunately I still have my sister to compete with. I don't see why she is so set on being Queen when she is just like mother in loathing court. She'd probably be happier and better at being a general or the Queen's champion."
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:54 am

She shakes her head, but she does have a smile on her face. "Don't you join her like that."

Things grow a bit more serious when you bring up your sister. The Lord finally joining the conversation. "As I recall from teaching her the sword, your sister always gave me the impression of having a drive that bordered on fanatasism. It wouldn't surprise me if she thought she could change the court to suit her in a way your mother either couldn't or wouldn't, but that's just my mpressions from years ago." He didn't say it, but there was a strange gleam that almost seemed like curiosity.
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:04 am

"And that's exactly why she's not suited to it. Her only option to enforce that is tyranny, and a sovereign can never survive opposed to her own base," I sigh, "Sometimes I can't tell if she matured early or has yet to mature."
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:37 pm

Lady Whiteguard nods, "Well, I don't know about your sister's level of maturity, but yes, the court is what it is, and it'll likely take more than the efforts of one monarch to make any major changes to it. Better to focus on aspects of life that are less...defined in people's minds."
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:01 am

"Unfortunately she is quite popular with the knight families and I'll need their help to win the crown. You wouldn't have an ideas about that would you?" I ask them.
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:20 am

The lady rubs her chin, "Your sister has always had closer ties to families like ours. I'm sure you're aware how some of the older families with draconic blood look down on us as pretenders. There is some belief that she'll bring more honor to us with her tenency towards more...agressive diplomacy. Of course, if another way to achieve more honor without a threat of war were possible, they might be drawn from her."
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:58 pm

"Yes, well I always found that line of snobbery pitiful at best, since those most afflicted with it spend most of their time not doing anything. Still war is like fire. Controlled it can be a very useful tool, however it loathes to be controlled, and if it is your first move then you will burn down more then you intend," I retort with a long sigh, "I will take your advice to heart, though I'm not to sure what could be considered honor, when it sounds like they are hunting glory instead."
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:25 am

"Well, they certainly would relish such an oppurtunity, but people have a hard enough time just knowing what they truly want let alone expressing their true desires. Many of those families see themselves talked down by the more established family and would relish any way they could become important enough to the Kingdom that those snobs have to hold their tongues."
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:36 pm

"That I understand," I sigh, before musing out loud,"... Perhaps I could make an order of paladins? A direct hand of the saint would be a status symbol that the other nobles would not dare challenge, and would be a source of honor... I just need an excuse to do it."

So while we mentioned Raalis being bless by Selyssah, I think they would have a shorter title. Saint seems appropriate and helps reinforce the connection with the church. If you have another idea I'm open to it.
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:25 am

"Hmm, that could work. Of course, it would be very important to delineate such a group from, a certain other organization..." The way she trails off makes it clear she's dancing around the subject of the Eyeblight Cult which, while their existence is well known, is a fairly taboo subject of discussion due to their sheer fanaticism.

Yeah, Saint could work, or I could see using Prophet instead. Chosen could also work though it feels a bit generic. I'd be fine with any of those three.
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:47 am

"Point taken. Hmm... perhaps a chosen branch for service of the royal family? Probably best to have them tasked with directly protecting the people..." I deliberate, "We don't have any dedicated monster hunters in the military, no? Perhaps a subjugation chapter. Are there any monster troubles currently? Most of those in the castle don't tell me of such things since they view it as something I don't need to worry about."

Prophet implies that she'd be telling the future or something. Chosen is a bit generic but true. I think Saint makes the most sense as she constantly works miracles and is recognized by the church.
Sallin_Kari

Postby Firehead » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:59 am

She stops, thinking for a moment before leaning in seriously. "There is a fairly dangerous creature. Every so often freak snowstorms will occur in a mountain. The lucky ones that get caught in it will tell you they saw a lovely woman who turned out to not possess a face. The not so lucky ones will be found frozen with the skin over what was once their face completely smooth. Until recently, they've been incredibly rare with only three or four such incidents in a five year span. Last year alone, there were three cases, and we've already had two in the first two months of this year."
Firehead

Postby Sallin_Kari » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:35 am

"Doesn't sound as urgent for me to rally the troops, but I can lay the ground work by asking about this terrible rumor and what's being done about it. Should the inevitable happen and it not be solved I can use that as justification to move independently, giving the more glory hungry nobles an opportunity to jump on. Small beginning I imagine, but we have something we can grow from there," I plan it outloud, "I hate to ask this but Celeswyn, I might have to ask you to join this. Not only would I feel better with you by my side, despite the danger, but it would help others work up the courage if someone else already steps forward."
Sallin_Kari

PreviousNext

Return to Private Games