A Boy and his Stantler (Firehead)

Forum for publicly viewable but closed-group role-playing.

A Boy and his Stantler (Firehead)

Postby Mashugana » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:34 am

(Char sheet)
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Name: Devon Richter
[link=]https://chan.sankakucomplex.com/post/show/16066871
[/link]
KNO: 4
GUT: 9
PRO: 6
KIN: 1
CHA:10

It's a beautiful day in New Bark Town, a small sleepy little place with not a whole lot going on either way. Most people just keep to themselves, live and work, going about their business as usual, but that doesn't mean that things are always boring either. New Bark is known for it's trainers as well, and occasionally something particularly interesting occurs. In this case, it's that a particular trainer has managed, after a long, tough fight, to catch a pokemon that he'd never seen in the area before. A deer like critter with antlers and a strange, kind of bulbous hindquarters and nose. You're currently at the home of Professor Elm, a woman known for her knowledge about almost all things Pokemon to quite frankly figure out what the hell you just caught while also getting your other pokemon treated. She purses her lips faintly as she inspects the beast, occasionally making small noises before looking to you with a mildly disbelieving look on her face.

"You're serious in that you caught him around here?" she asks for possibly the third time. She may be brilliant, but the professor did have this fairly annoying tendency to doubt people heavily whenever they brought something strange to her. She straightens back up, her tall and slender frame only looking even more wispy in the large lab coat she's got covering her normal attire, a green shirt and brown pants.
Look, all I'm saying is that Batboy is our lord and savior.
Mashugana

Re: A Boy and his Stantler (Firehead)

Postby Firehead » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:01 am

Devon sighed as it was getting bothered that she kept asking the same question time and again. "Professor, I've answered this again and again. Yes, I caught him just outside of town." A smile crossed his face as he muttered the next line under his breath. "You really need to work on your listening skills." She was a pretty attractive woman, but her habit of being incredulous when faced with something unusual was certainly hard to tolerate.

Combing his hands through his hair, he decided he needed something else to focus on while she continued inspecting his latest acquisition. "Are the others done with treatment yet?" Walking over to the machine, he gave it a look to see if there was any indication of how close his other Pokémon were to the end of their recovery.

That Stantler really had been an unusual fight. He'd used Hypnosis to put Eevee and Houndour to sleep quickly. He was lucky that Chikorita was able to hold out long enough to do some damage before passing out as well. None of them had been harmed during the fight but having your entire team asleep would be a pretty big handicap if he'd gotten caught in another battle. Coming back to recover was the only reasonable choice.
Firehead

Postby Mashugana » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:52 am

"Hmm? Oh, yes. They should be fine." the professor answers, patting the stantler on the head and letting him hop off the examining table as the treatment machine beeps in confirmation, showing the statuses of each of your pokemon to be in the green, with no effects or conditions afflicting them. "Well, it seems like you've got yourself a healthy Stantler here. Really strange that it'd be in Johto of all places, though." she muses, seeming to be pondering something for a second before shaking her head.

"Either way he's yours fair and square. I'm sure that you're gonna be the talk of the town with him, hell, maybe you could even try the gyms with him, see how he fares." she said with a shrug and an encouraging smile. "So, need anything else?"
Mashugana

Postby Firehead » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:52 am

Once it was clear the three Pokémon were recovered, he put them back on his hip next to Stantler's Pokéball. "Good to hear. He'll make a good addition to my team." He still wasn't quite sure what this new Stantler could do besides Hypnosis, but putting opponents to sleep was a useful effect none the less. That just left the mystery of him being around this place. "Heh, who knows, maybe he got away from his old trainer or something."

He thought for a moment about anything else he might need but couldn't think of anything. "Nothing I can think of, and if I'm gonna try the league, it's probably about time I moved on to Cherry Grove." He walked up pulling out Stantler's Pokéball.
Firehead

Postby Mashugana » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:09 am

"Alright, be safe then and good luck! Don't get into any trouble with your pokemon!" The professor calls after you as you leave.

So, now you've got your new pokemon, with Hypnosis and who knows what else for moves. Your pokedex lists him as a Normal type, so that should give at least a hint as to his general capabilities, but you wouldn't know til you used him in battle.

Which meant Cherry Grove. The route leading there could have a couple of trainers waiting, mostly just looking to catch some pokemon, but a couple were always ready and willing to have a battle or two, betting money, food, and all manner of other things over who had the more powerful and better coordinated team. Now that you've got a full party, you might indeed have a solid shot at beating them.

You could think of at least three trainers who were probably available, ready, and willing to fight. Maurice, Delilah, and Daniel.

Maurice was a careful and urban looking man, slightly older than you, who made a living as a courier. He was known for having a bit of cash on him at all times, but he often also dealt in discounts on bike sails. He liked wearing a green t-shirt and brown shorts, with a preference for flying types. It was hard to figure how many he'd have on him at one time.

Delilah and Daniel were blonde twins, both were trim and athletic, with Delilah being a somewhat short tomboy with tanned skin and freckles, and her brother looking a fair bit like her, but taller and lankier, the often wore matching sporty outfits as well, usually red. Delilah liked fighting type pokemon, but only had one or two, while Daniel favored ground types, and probably had three.

Of course, you could always ignore them and press on, or even hunt for some extra pokemon. Who knows what you'll find in the bush?
Mashugana

Postby Firehead » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:22 am

He waved the Professor off with a sigh. "Sure, I'll make sure to be careful." It wasn't like he hadn't been practicing for weeks while building up his current team. He was definitely in a good position to do whatever he decided to do with his team. Taking on the league challenge seemed the obvious place to start, but all paths led through Cherrygrove first and foremost.

He headed back to the entrance of Route 29 figuring there wasn't likely to be any decent finds he'd want to replace anything from his current team with, so he figured a battle with another trainer to get warmed up and comfortable with his latest Pokémon would be the best thing. It was hard in such a short route with such small towns to either side to not know most of the people you're likely to see hanging around looking for a friendly matchup.

Maurice certainly would have the cash to drop for a prize, but the guy rubbed Devon the wrong way for some reason he just couldn't pinpoint. The twins, on the other hand, were at least pleasant company even if Delilah's type preferences put much of his team on their back foot. He still had a couple of options with her, and she tended to run with a small team anyway, so he figured he could challenge her.

Walking about the route he kept an eye out for either of the twins certain seeing as how they were almost never far apart.
Firehead

Postby Mashugana » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:09 am

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Tossed a coin and got Delilah

It doesn't take long to find Delilah, as you discover her leaning against a tree and having some water, while her two pokemon appear to be sparring with each other near a small pile of smashed branches and sticks. They're a Hitmon-Lee and Hitmon-Chan, trading punches and kicks, parrying, dodging, and countering. They definitely look like they've gotten faster since you last saw them, those strikes are almost a blur. Seeing your approach, she nods and waves, turning her attention from their training.

"Hey Devon, here to catch somethin' or you lookin' to fight?" she asks, she was certainly the more aggressive and straightforward of the twins, and well, she wasn't exactly wrong. Hitmon-Lee and Hitmon-Chan hum and murmur, limbering up hopefully.
Mashugana

Postby Firehead » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:51 pm

I looked over her two Pokémon trying to remember if I'd ever seen them not training. "Afternoon Delilah, just caught myself a new Pokémon, and I was hoping to try him out before I head off on my journey. Care to help a fella out with a little two on two?" He reached for his Pokéballs almost grabbing Stantler's, but he hesitated. If this was to debut his new teammate, he might as well hold him back for the finish. Considering the disadvantage, he needed to start off strong.

Pulling his Heracross' ball. "That being said, I'll wait before I bring out my newest acquisition. Go, Heracross!" I watched the two opponents wondering which Delilah would start with as the three enjoyed testing their strength. Must be a fighting type thing.
Firehead

Postby Mashugana » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:14 pm

After several months and the GM finally googling what a heracross is, a large cobalt blue pokemon roughly shoulder height to you (not counting the big horn) bursts out in a small flash of white light, landing on the ground with a hearty, confident stomp. His long and spiny arms end in two sharp, pinching claws, each one roughly the length and width of a nine year old boy's hand, and the same largely goes for his feet.

Your Heracross lets loose his cry with a confident, arrogant flourish before entering a wrestling pose, knees bent, arms forward, and feet planted wide as he set his eyes on his opponents.

"Hey, looks like your Heracross bulked up a bit! That's good, don't want Hitmonchan to not get a sweat out of this!" Delilah notes with a grin as the boxing pokemon approaches, his own stance loose and fluid, with his glove like fists lower, towards his belt and his left foot ahead of his right as he slightly bounces on the balls of his feet. Unlike Heracross, he's a lot calmer, his eyes don't look away from where his opponent's at and what he's doing.

Suddenly, he sprints forward, launching his right towards Heracross' abdomen like a round fired from a rifle! Delilah's grin doesn't waver, it's clear that she taught him to do that right at the start of a battle!
Mashugana

Postby Firehead » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:25 am

"Well, that's to be expected with the training regimen I give them. Can't just stay the same all the time, but if you think a sweat is all Hitmonchan is going work up this time, you've got another thing coming." I got ready to shout an order to my Pokémon but wasn't quick enough apparently.

I was caught off guard when my Heracross' opponent rushed him without even a command from its trainer. I didn't have time for doubt though as Heracross needed a command quick if he wasn't going to fall behind. Thankfully, he had already taken his fighting stance with his legs spread wide for stability as he'd been taught. "Heracross catch him." Quickly, the bug brought his arms to the side in an attempt to grab Hitmonchan by the wrist before that attack could connect.

Even if he wasn't able to stop the blow, he should at least be able to weaken the blow plus he'd now have his opponent's wrist clenched tight in his claws. "Alright Heracross, flip him." Hearing the command, Heracross twisted his body at the waist and moved Hitmonchan's arm over his shoulder looking to toss the opponent over himself and slam Hitmonchan hard onto the ground leaving it laying on its back for my next command.
Firehead

Return to Private Games