Our Hidden Sins (Reaperbones/Sallin_Kari)

Forum for publicly viewable but closed-group role-playing.

Re: Our Hidden Sins (Reaperbones/Sallin_Kari)

Postby Reaperbones » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:49 pm

Alex was about to speak when Kira interrupted him with her hand. Alex grumbled held his tongue as Kira walked over to a nearby desk. She opened it up and pulled out a letter. She stood in front of you and read it with a bland tone. "Dear Mrs. Cross, it is our proud duty as members of the Draconic Nation's Military to release all information involving your husband's military service and final services. We hope that this will bring you some peace of mind. Your husband Sergeant Cross was a skilled and honorable....yada yada...ah here we go...Sergeant Cross' unit was captured by the Elven Commander of house Uthilamina. Reports indicate that after capture and execution was planned, an Elven enchantress assisted in the escape of part of his squad, but Sergeant Cross was not among them. We hope it brings you peace to know that the commander was captured soon after and has been sentenced to life as a class five slave. Walk strong and proud, may the dragons' spirits watch over your husband's soul."
Kira put the letter back on the desk and looked at you. She gave Alex a glare when he was about to speak which silenced him. It was obvious that if anybody were going to be speaking. It was to be you.
Reaperbones

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:25 pm

As I expected... no feared. It lined up too neatly to be mere coincidence... I suppose that also explains why the soldiers... revealed me despite my request they don't tell anyone of what I did... How are they suppose to look a widow in the eye and lie to them why you survived yet her husband didn't. Still, the is the matter of Alex. For him to specifically bring me to this place in order to get outfitted... Despicable. "I understand master's intentions for bringing me here. I thought it was uncharacteristically nice for him to get properly tailored clothes for me." My eyes lock onto him as my eyes narrow into daggers as I perk up my ears to try and track Tali's footsteps.

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

By the way... you might a very clear note of aggression against Alex here. She's pretty much expecting the worst, and it is related to the reason she's trying to keep track of Tali's location.
Random person in the comments section of a random hentai manga- "Now I am ashamed of myself."
Me- "Posh, shame is for fools and people with friends... we need no such things, we have the internet."
Sallin_Kari

Postby Reaperbones » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:09 pm

Kira didn't stop Alex this time as he answered Lara's accusation. "You're only partially right. Yes I brought you here so that you can see what your half-assed attempt at a rescue caused. I also brought you here because this is the best clothing store in this city. Most of all I brought you here so that Kira could speak to you."
Alex stepped closer to Lara as he continued. "Let me make something very clear. I appreciate that you saved some soldiers, but you only saved those you could safely get away with. I will never believe that you were powerless against your uncle. That you couldn't threaten him into doing as you asked. Most of all I won't ever believe that you truly stood up for what you believed in. You weren't willing to risk it all for your belief, and that's cowardice to me. Your cowardice meant that I had to watch an adorable little girl break down as I told her that her father wasn't coming home. Your cowardice cost me family."
Kira grabbed Alex's shoulder and stopped him. He gave her an angry glare before she pointed out of the room. He grumbled again before walking past Kira and out of the room. Kira waited for the door to close again before she spoke. "I don't hate you, just so you know."
Reaperbones

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:20 pm

"And the fact that you think that shows just how privileged a life you lived," I calmly state. At least you had family to loss. Your preaching of how your loss is so great is hollow to someone who was denied those things in the first place. If anyone holds the right to loathe me, then it is Tali, because at least she understands that pain. Yet this man who's grown up in a practically pampered way thinks his first experience of true pain is unforgivable? He has no right. My eyes do not waver from him until the door closes.

"Surprising. Why not? It is true that I did not save him," My eyes shift to her, turning into my normal cold look, "Many would find that sufficient grounds to curse one's very name."
Random person in the comments section of a random hentai manga- "Now I am ashamed of myself."
Me- "Posh, shame is for fools and people with friends... we need no such things, we have the internet."
Sallin_Kari

Postby Reaperbones » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:40 pm

Kira pulled a chair up to where you stood. She sat down in another chair and spoke. "Because you're broken. I can't hate someone who has already had their heart shattered on the battlefield. You're cold expression says it all."
She leaned back in her chair and spoke. "You say Alex grew up privileged? Maybe a little bit, but he still has had to work for what he has. That's not what you mean by privileged though is it? Losing a family member is one of the most painful things ever. Especially when you didn't even get to them in their final moments. Imagine having some one there your entire life who has be helping you and keeping you from falling apart, and then one day they are just gone. Forever. Imagine waking up and thinking I'll just go visit- oh wait he's dead. It's heartbreaking."
She leaned forward and face you as she finished. "But that's just how he's suffering, and that doesn't mean you aren't. You've both been on that battlefield, you both have lost important people. Neither of you are worse off than the other. Just two broken soldiers attempting to live after having seen so much death. What do you think Alex's job was in the war?"
Reaperbones

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:19 pm

I didn't take the seat as I feel a fire being burning in my throat as I listen to her. "You think I haven't felt that? I witnessed my friends die, but I had to leave them behind... Press on so that others may live... So that their deaths were not in vain... Yet when I return my reward was dagger in my back, as even my family hurled abuse at me... and when the chance arrived, they happily sold me to a fate worse than death, cheering all the while" I pause running my hands over the collar around my neck. The fire in my voice switches to pure venom, "I haven't just lost a pillar of my life, something that has always been there to support me... I lost everything. My race... My family... My home... Everyone I ever loved has either died, betrayed me, or is enslaved..." The venom gives way to sorrow, as I feel myself tremble, but I force out," I have no intention of measure our pain, but I have no sympathy who thinks he's the greatest victim of the war just because he lost someone in it... Just like everyone else."
Sallin_Kari

Postby Reaperbones » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:31 am

Kira listened to you with a calm expression. When you finish speaking she nods and speaks with a serious tone. "The hypocrisy in your words is stunning. You claim he believes he is the greatest victim? No you mistake something, Alex believes he was lucky. It's why he gave up living for himself, and only lives for others. You on the other hand seem to have decided that it's pointless to be anything except a victim. Yes you've been enslaved, but it's not like you've been forced into something like brothel work or breeding like you would for the other races. Here you have a chance to find a new life and new purpose. Either take it or be the pathetic coward Alex thinks you are and stay a victim."
Kira looked you up and down before nodding again and speaking. "You're no coward, but you are a bit broken. Your feet don't want to take you forward, but you have to find someway otherwise your past is going to eat you. Do you think you're capable of that?"
Reaperbones

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:41 am

"You seem to think I think of myself as the greatest victim of the war. You are mistaken. If anything, I am a victim of my own pride. But let me tell you this. When I was drafted into this war, I was promised that this would give me purpose, that it would grant me a new life... Yet here I am, sacrificed by those very same people... And here you are offering me the same thing... If I can't trust my own kin's promises, why do you think I would trust your words?"
Sallin_Kari

Postby Reaperbones » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:54 am

Kira gave you a warm smile and spoke. "Well my honest answer is because we're not asking you to charge into battle against an enemy of unknown power for ridiculous reasons. But the best answer is probably, because the new purpose I am offering you is quite simple and easy."
Kira stood up from her chair and walked over to you before speaking again. "Emi'lara of house Uthilamina. I offer you the position of godmother for my daughter. Should I pass away, I wish for you to take over the care and nurturing of my little Tali. Could you accept this responsibility for me?"
Reaperbones

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:51 pm

"Words are cheap, especially when you can rescind them without consequence. I can't believe your words," I retort, before letting out a sigh, "However... I believe in Tali, and wish to protect her smile." I offer my hand. As I understand it, humans have a tradition of grasping or shaking hands to signify trust, and to seal agreements.
Sallin_Kari

Postby Reaperbones » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:50 pm

Kira takes your hands before pulling you into a hug. She speaks with a warm tone. "Alex will be happy to hear this."
She lets you go before continuing speaking. "I honestly think you'll be happy here. Although that might just be my own sense of Nationalism speaking. I'll let you decide, but I did want to offer you some advice on handling Alex. If you want to hear it?"
Reaperbones

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:00 pm

A slightly scowl forms on my face as she mentions my master, "I fail to see why I should care."

Hearing her offer to learn about Alex, I wanted to reject in disgust... but, "Information is always valuable."
Sallin_Kari

Postby Reaperbones » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:13 pm

Kira spoke with a grin. "Don't be afraid to challenge him when necessary. He's mostly acting when he's being mean. You can't tell me you haven't noticed inconsistencies in his behavior. He has to focus on being mean, and I know for a fact that he has his limits. He'll never do anything that will permanently hurt you, and I can guarantee you that it would take you attacking him physically or emotionally for him to actually consider something sexual. I don't think he actually hates you, but he wants to because you're the only one he can blame for everything."
Kira began gathering up fabric before continuing. "Honestly if he did hate you then he would have petitioned for you to be classified as a class five slave. Afterwards he would have bought you and killed you. Alex isn't very merciful towards his enemies."
Reaperbones

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:42 pm

"I find it difficult to believe that he doesn't hate me. I've known many that hated me for far less transgressions, real or imagined," I shake my head, "He does seem to very fond of trying to destroy me mentally, so I find it likely that he is aware that if I was a class five, he'd just kill me, and ruin his revenge."

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Funny... I do recall her challenging him before and it ending up with her prancing around the store naked for his enjoyment... Wait, that was retconned.

Also, Lara's deep seated trust issues start showing themselves.
Sallin_Kari

Postby Reaperbones » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:07 am

Kira gave chuckled and spoke. "Alex is a very good actor, and if he focuses it's hard to tell when he is and isn't angry. He hates lying though. Honestly his insults are probably just to make you hate him. It'll make it easier for him if you both just mutually hate each other. It's amazing how a broken mind works."
Kira brought some blue cloth over to her and spoke. "Look Kira, I know enough about Elves to know that they are very xenophobic and tend to shun those who don't agree with them. A good example is the fact that High Elves and Wood Elves have entirely separate cultures. We Draconic people tend to accept differences. In fact our differences tend to be what attract us to each other. My scales for example. The more mixture someone has between scales and soft skin, the prettier they tend to look. It's kind of like freckles. In short, don't compare our opinions and judgements to the elves. They differ too much."
Reaperbones

Postby Sallin_Kari » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:43 am

"I wasn't. If you were an elf, I'd be dead and used to fertilize the trees," I reply, "I understand what you're getting at, but if you think I'll just believe that human are incapable of hating another because of poor reasons, then you must think me dreadfully naive."
Sallin_Kari

Postby Reaperbones » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:47 am

Kira nodded and threw the blue cloth over one of your shoulders. She moved to grab another blue cloth of a different shade. She spoke as she looked through them. "Hatred is a thing all races deal with. We just have developed a culture where mass hatred is less likely. Yeah some people are discriminatory and rude, but the vast majority tend to be accepting. We learned centuries ago what the effect of hatred was, and we decided not to let it become what defines us."
Reaperbones

Postby Sallin_Kari » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:58 am

"Aren't you optimistic," I sigh, "From what I've experienced, groups are defined by what they hate. It distinguishes you from them, and unified you as a group. The most obvious group would be things like criminals, but when it comes to nations, especially those divided up by races, when competing for resources, it because a very easy tactic to hate the other. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if your people hate 'The Elves' but come to like the elves. After all, isn't that exactly how your concept of redemption works?"
Sallin_Kari

Postby Reaperbones » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:50 pm

Kira chuckled as you spoke of hatred and then of redemption. She grabbed a lighter shade of blue fabric and threw it over your other shoulder. She spoke as she compared the two. "You're overly pessimistic. Not many here actually hate any of the others races that much. We have no reason to compete for resources nor even a reason to continue fighting. If we honestly hated any of you then we wouldn't have increased our losses to decrease yours. Even now we are trying to re-establish the balance between the other nations. It's going to be a long struggle though, you elves don't reproduce quickly enough."
She pulled the lighter fabric off of you before continuing. "Redemption isn't the concept of stopping hating someone. Has anybody honestly shown you hate outside of Alex? You haven't redeemed yourself, so by the logic that redemption is all about getting rid of hatred, we should all hate you right? Until you redeem yourself that is. Redemption is about proving that you regret the bad decisions you've made. It's about paying for your actions in full. It's why enemy soldiers are being put through it. We don't want to kill them, but we can't just let them go while they think their actions are righteous and justified. That'll just lead to another war in a century if not sooner."
Reaperbones

Postby Sallin_Kari » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:46 pm

"I think you misunderstand my point," I retort, "What I am arguing is that you hate is the collective 'Elves' rather than elves individually. Or are you honestly going to tell me you hold no ill-will to the collective that invaded without provocation and killed your husband? In other words, your explanation of redemption fits in nicely with my concept. You remove their ideological frame work that justified their actions. That is because your enemy isn't the individuals, it's the ideological framework associated with the elves that justified their actions. Big E Elves versus little e elves."
Sallin_Kari

PreviousNext

Return to Private Games