Elder Holes: Dongerfall (Phoenixcs)

Forum for publicly viewable but closed-group role-playing.

Re: Elder Holes: Dongerfall (Phoenixcs)

Postby Mashugana » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:27 am

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

encounter roll: 32

The next room appears to be larger when you open the door, but before you can get it open all the way you hear a high pitched howl, and see a small humanoid figure roughly shoulder height to you hurl something large and heavy your way! You have just enough time to close the door partly to block the projectile, which makes an audible thunk when it collides and then falls to the floor, a cursory glance revealing it to be a busted up brick. However, the creature within the room isn't done as it scrabbles for something at it's belt, growling and barking at you in a garbled language, the smell of sour sweat and sight of filth in the room telling you that while repugnant, the creature is likely a living creature as it starts scrabbling over the bed, the dim lighting revealing what looks like moss colored green skin and large, vaguely bat like ears on it's hairless head.
Look, all I'm saying is that Batboy is our lord and savior.
Mashugana

Postby Phoenixcz » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:30 am

I'm not entirely sure what that thing is... a goblin, propably... as I was more interested in the inhabitants of Oblivion and various magical creatures than more mundane beings. But that doesn't matter right now. I'll have to deal with it, before the noise awakens and attracts the ogre. I don't think talking is an option here, I'll need to dispatch it quickly. It doesn't look very dangerous, but of course, looks can be decieving. I don't exactly relish the idea of a life-or-death close combat, but the thought of the potions I've left behind gives me some comfort in case I'll get hurt in the fight. I lunge forward with my new sword, ready to switch to spells if the opponents proves thougher than expected.
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby Mashugana » Fri May 03, 2019 5:33 am

Rolling for big boi hearing, 55
Combat rolls:
Elayne's attack: 8 vs 9, miss!
Goblin's attack, 4 vs 14, miss!

The goblin shrieks in terror and scrambles to the left, narrowly avoiding your lunge! Down the hall, you hear a loud sound caught between a bellow and a yawn, coarse and phlegm laden going by the gurgling. You don't have time to focus too much, however, as you jerk back just in time to avoid the swing of the little bastard's rusted cleaver before it bit into your side! The monster eyes the door as if gauging a potential escape route, but you've got it cornered between the bed and wall!
Mashugana

Postby Phoenixcz » Fri May 03, 2019 12:01 pm

Ah crap. Sounds like the noise did awaken the ogre. I hiss at the goblin "Shut up idiot, do you want to get us both killed?", but I don't expect the order to work and the question is more rhetorical than anything. It is more likely the goblin and the ogre go along somehow, the goblin wouldn't be here otherwise, so it's my problem, not his. I consider stepping out of the way and letting the goblin run, hoping it'll distract the ogre, but if they indeed work together, I would only cause more problems to myself. I can't exactly turn and run away myself, though. I press the attack, still hoping to end the fight quickly, aware that my chance to get out of this alive gets worse every second.
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby Mashugana » Sun May 05, 2019 7:58 am

Eh fuck it, I'll roll a Charisma check to see if you actually get through:
10 vs 12, fail
Elayne's attack: 3 vs 8, miss
Goblin attempts to escape, prompts attack of opportunity: 1 vs 3, critical fail, takes 3+2 damage for 5 hitpoints, and loses a limb

Your first strike passes gets nothing but air, the goblin managing to duck the swing and yelping in fear as it attempts to scramble for safety by clawing it's way over the bed. However, this leaves it open to another swing, and while it's quite possibly the most awkward, clumsy and ungraceful hacking strike you've ever done, you feel the impact of your weapon striking just above the creature's foot, the sickening *thwop* accompanied by a shriek so loud and high pitched that it almost feels like it's going to burst your ear drums as your sword arm and waist area are splashed with a hot fluid, which smells faintly of copper. The goblin manages to get over the bed and onto the floor, but you realize he's not getting back up and running, but going by the sudden sobbing and chittering as well as the scratching noises, he's likely crawling, around this same time, you'd notice that his foot is lying on the bedding, bleeding from where you'd chopped it off.

Unfortunately, you hear what sounds like an excited roar from the same creature as earlier, this time without any trace of tiredness, and more bloodlust as you hear loud footsteps down the hall, approaching the doorway!
Mashugana

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun May 05, 2019 9:55 pm

I stare at the injured goblin in disbelief. It's one thing to practice swordfighting and read or listen to tales of battles, it's entirely different to see a living being, bleeding and in pain, and knowing I did it. Even if the goblin attacked me first, and had to defend myself... but couldn't have I let him go anyway? I've never hurt someone like this before. It's terrifying. Even the zombie earlier was something different: it was a mindless *thing*, it wasn't alive anymore, and while it was disgusting, it was the scamp that did most of the damage. Using a blade feels different than summoning a daedra to fight in my stead, or even more direct combat magic. Much more personal. I have to remind myself it was necessary self-defense, but I'm not sure if I believe it. I've trained for combat for a reason, but I never imagined it would be something like this.

The roar from outside the room wakes me from my momentary shock. I can still easily end up just like the goblin. I look around the room in panic, looking for any place to hide. If there's nothing, I'll have to run and hope I'll avoid and escape the ogre... I doubt I could slip away without being seen. The goblin's cries are disturbing, though. I look at him, and stutter "I... I'm sorry. I didn't want to... I had no choice!" I move towards him with the sword ready. The thought is horrifying, and I'm wasting valuable time, but clean death and end to his pain... it sounds more merciful than leaving him here to bleed to death. This memory will haunt me for a long time.

If there's some halfway-decent hideout, Elayne will try to hide in there. Under a bed, inside a cabinet, doesn't really matter. If not, she'll try to escape the room, sneak away to closest other room if the ogre can't see her, run away if he can. Either way, she'll try to finish the goblin first.
Phoenixcz

Postby Mashugana » Tue May 07, 2019 8:47 am

Alright, rolling for hiding under the bed and avoiding big boi. 19 vs 10, success!

The goblin's eyes widen as you thrust forward, stabbing into his throat and cutting off his pained groans and sobs, replacing them momentarily with gurgles and sputters before he goes still. Under different circumstances, this might prompt for a more sober aftermath, but with the sounds of hurried footsteps on the way, you don't have time to fully process your first time taking the life of a sentient creature. Moving in a panic, you almost find yourself diving under the bed, frantically clawing your way through dust and cobwebs in order to stay underneath it's shadows, and you just manage to tuck your legs in when the door crashes open, revealing the beast.

You've sometimes seen the Orcs and Nords, those often considered the burliest among Mer and Men in Tamriel, known for their great strength and fortitude and ugly temperaments, but this monstrosity makes even the rowdiest of them look like frail youths in comparison. Mottled gray skin that looks clammy and slick with sweat, stretched over a body that looked at once morbidly obese and packed full with muscles, with arms and legs like tree trunks and a head that looked almost comically small compared to the rest of it's body, with a flat face, dark eyes and odd ears that appeared to be a combination of bat like and pig like. The beast inspects the room from outside the doorway at first, though he appears to be excited at the sight of the dead goblin on the floor, and he sniffs the air, cautiously entering the room, going still every few steps as if to listen for anything.

After a few heart pounding moments, the ogre leans down and grabs hold of the corpse's arm at the wrist, before placing his other hand on the corpse's shoulder. You then see him begin to pull in opposite directions on the body as the beast smacks it's lips and shows cracked yellow teeth in an expression caught between a grin and a grimace.
Mashugana

Postby Phoenixcz » Mon May 20, 2019 9:20 pm

I don't have the luxury of time to think about the unfortunate goblin I've killed, as I've barely made it into a hiding spot in before the ogre barges in. I'm aware my hideout is far from perfect and I wish I've had more time to get deeper in the shadows, but I don't dare to move out of fear of causing any noise. I almost don't dare to breathe, to avoid the slightest sound, and the dust and dirt under the bed doesn't make things easier, as I have to suppress the urge to cough. My heart is beating like crazy. During the storm, when I almost drowned, I haven't even had the time to feel afraid, and during the battles with the undead and the imp earlier, I was confident I can win. This is so much worse... if the ogre finds me, I'm dead, I know it, and I can't do anything but wait.

When I see him grabbing the goblin, I realize what's about to happen, and close my eyes. The sounds will be bad enough, I don't need to see it too. But it does make me feel a bit better about the goblin's death... somehow, I don't think the ogre would act any differently if the goblin was still alive. It really was a mercy of sorts.
Phoenixcz

Postby Mashugana » Tue May 21, 2019 8:45 am

The creature's feeding is short, but messy, with tearing and squelching, the sound of blood dripping onto the floor and soaking into the rug evoking images of freshly butchered meat, still bloody. Normally, such thoughts would've brought forth mouth watering hunger and a desire for suckling pig, fresh mutton chops, and beef steaks, but as the ogre devours the goblin it seems to almost taint such thoughts, replacing hunger with nausea and the succulent taste of roasted meat becomes that of soured bile. After some time, it's finished, and you hear the monster give a happy, gurgling burp, almost like an overgrown infant, before the floors creak under it's weight as it lumbers out of the room, going in the direction you'd originally come from.

The scene it left behind isn't pretty, and what's left of the goblin doesn't really warrant description, largely for your own sanity. At the very least, there probably isn't enough of the corpse that's intact for a necromancer to muck about with. Still, you appear to be safe for the moment, and the goblin's blood likely masked your scent.
Mashugana

Postby Phoenixcz » Thu May 23, 2019 11:10 pm

I keep my eyes closed and fight the urge to vomit at the noises and the thought of what they represent. I don't know how long the ogre's dinner take, but here, hidden under the bed, it feels like hours of horror. Even after the ogre leaves, I stay hidden out of fear it'll return, but as minutes pass and there's no sign of his presence, I slowly crawl out of my hideout. Even when I avoid looking at the goblin's remains, the main reason why I don't vomit is that I haven't eaten anything in a while.

Even though there may be something valuable, I don't feel like staying in this room any longer than I have to. Or, indeed, in this whole place. After this incident, I just want to get away, even if I haven't found anything especially valuable. The danger just outweights any potential gain in my mind. If I was better prepared, if my magic was more powerful, if I had allies, perhaps. But right now, I feel it would be better to use the information from the imp and get out of here, and look for civilization.

I make sure I still have the sword, but I leave the torch on the floor where I dropped it. Light would be a danger as much as help right now. I try to be careful to avoid drawing any more attention towards my position, and peek out of the doorway to check for any sign of the ogre's presence. If the air seems clear, I'll take the way Fitwick described, alert for potential danger, and trying to be as stealthy as I can. Leaving my source of light behind makes both harder, of course, the former more than the later. While I don't give up my position, I don't see where am I going.
Phoenixcz

Postby Mashugana » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:49 am

You can hear the ogre shuffling through the other rooms, loudly snuffling and stepping around in the room where you'd encountered what could've been a ghost. The creature appears to be doing a sort of lazy patrol of it's environment, or perhaps it's hunting for you. That goblin blood might be more of a lifesaver than you'd thought, but your idea to leave might be a good one indeed if he's cottoned on to your scent or presence.

6 vs 12. Oof.

You make your way out of your room carefully, trying to use your senses of hearing and touch to find your way around without your light source. For the first yard or so everything seems to be going well, the ogre appears to be content to poke around lazily in the ghost room, perhaps it's meal after just waking up was keeping it lethargic. You find yourself nearing a bend from where the ogre had come from, and in the distance, you hear wind blowing and smell fresh air from a narrow set of stairs leading down into a corridor. Could this be the route to your escape?

Then your foot strikes the stone, sending it tumbling loudly down the steps.

The ogre stops moving for a second, then you hear it's footsteps begin moving towards the hall.

Fast.
Mashugana

Postby Phoenixcz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:07 am

Despite the darkness, my escape goes well. The ogre is busy elsewhere, and when I guess his propable location, I kinda wish he'd provoked the ghost. It would be a good distraction, and the brute would be unable to hurt a bodiless spirit anyway. The ghost could even be able to kill the ogre, solving the whole problem for me. But as I continue through the lightless corridor and feel the breeze, I know the ogre won't be my problem soon.

Or so I thought until the disadvantage of walking around in darkness proved me wrong. I hit an unseen rock or something and drew the ogres attention. And this time, even though there may be hiding places around, I can't see them, there's nothing to draw the ogre's attention away from me this time, and he would likely be able to smell me. I don't know if I can outrun the ogre, even assuming I won't stumble over something in the darkness, but I'm not gonna wait to see what he'll do with me if he catches me. I start running towards the propable exit, throwing caution to the wind. I'm not sure how much good it'll do to me, as there's no reason why the monster wouldn't chase me outside even if I'm faster and get out before he catches me, but at least I'll be able to see where I'm going.

If I can't outrun him and he gets closer to me, I'll summon a scamp as a distraction, but I won't waste time and magicka for now. I'll need it if it comes to battle.
Phoenixcz

Postby Mashugana » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:03 am

Rolling for sprinting down without a light: 2 vs 12. Damage roll: 4.

Ogre's movement, 14 vs 15, partial failure

Scamp is summoned, Elayne magicka: 5

Initiative roll: Elayne 92, scamp 51, ogre 32

Your maddened rush down the stairs, driven by the need to escape the narrow, darkened passageways costs you as you trip midway down the stairs, tumbling down along the hard steep stone steps and feeling one of your ribs crack, sending white hot bolts of agony shooting through your brain! Still, your forethought does you credit, as despite the pain you're able to gasp out the incantations to summon your scamp, though your magicka reserves drop alarmingly. You've probably got one or two more spells before you run out, at this point, you've managed to go a couple more yards down the hall, the smell of fresh air and small streams of light beckoning you towards escape.

Thankfully, it seems that the ogre's clumsiness has also impeded it as he too trips going downstairs, smacking into the wall and catching himself with his hands to avoid hitting the ground too hard. He's able to stand, snarling and growling as he glares at you and your scamp, a scant few feet separating you.

Your scamp puts itself between you and the ogre, preparing to launch a fireball as the great beast hunkers down in a half squat, not unlike the wrestlers and pugilists in the arena and fighting tournaments back home.
Mashugana

Postby Phoenixcz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:34 am

Running in an unknown places in total darkness wasn't very good idea. I hope I'll get to remember that advice in the future. I wish I haven't left the potions behind, but I'm lucky that my injury, while painful, isn't more serious. It will slow me down, though, something I don't really need, as the ogre seem faster than myself already. I concentrate to overcome my pain and to conjure a defender for myself, and I'm relieved when I feel my power reaching out call forth a servant from Oblivion.

The ogre's close, but the darkness hinders him just like me. However, he's able to take a fall better than myself. I watch the scamp taking position between the two of us. I still have some energy left, but I don't feel confident to engage in battle even with the scamp's help. My only offensive spell requires me to touch the target, the ogre's stronger, tougher and with better reach, and I'm already injured. I really need to find myself a valiant knight... I'm a sorceress in High Rock, it's only proper.

I leave my minion to face the ogre alone, and turn to run away. In the unlikely event it wins, good for me... if not, I hope it'll buy me enough time to escape.
Phoenixcz

Postby Mashugana » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:08 am

Scamp launches a flare! 6vs20, ogre critically succeeds dodging. The Ogre lashes out at the scamp! 18vs6, dmg 8! Scamp is fucking dead! I think my dice roller's being fucked with by Daedra.

Mustering it's power, the scamp fires off a flare that goes careening towards the ogre as you make a break for it, but the ogre appears to have been anticipating this, showing that being stupid doesn't necessarily mean that it's animal cunning can be discounted. The beast ducks the shot so cleanly that it almost seems to contemptuously avoid the projectile, before lunging forward and driving it's fist directly into the scamp's face, sending it careening in your direction by a good two yards before crashing to the ground, it's face, jaw and well, most of the rest of the front side of it's head pretty much having been destroyed as the brute gives a deep, cruel laugh. Thankfully the scamp's sacrifice has bought you enough time to make it to the exit and get out, the sunlight almost blinding you at first as you rush through the tall grass, weeds and brush. You've escaped the fort!

Now it's just a matter of dealing with the ogre.

Your surroundings appear to be mostly woodland, but you can make out a thin trail about the same size that a mule would be able to go through, leading through the forest. It's old, but it does look like it's been used frequently. You could also take your chances moving through the forest itself, though it could slow you down as you go deeper into it, and you don't know what you'll encounter there. Of course, you could also take your chances with the ogre, or try something else.
Mashugana

Postby Phoenixcz » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:00 am

But is that daedra "let's get drunk and have an orgy" Sanguine, or Molag "King of Rape" Bal? Important distinction....

I don't slow down to check what's happening behind me, but it doesn't sounds like the fight went in my favor, or lasted long at all. I haven't bought much time for myself, and unfortunately, conjured creatures disappear after being defeated, so I can't hope the ogre will distract itself with the scamp's corpse. But I've made it out. I'm relieved to see the sunlight, even if it's glare is almost blinding after the time I've spent underground. Aren't ogres nocturnal? Or... do they turn into stone in the sun? Or was it trolls? Or just stories? Perhaps it'll stay out of light, though I shouldn't depend on it. I have to keep running.

The trail would be easiest to travel, but the ogre could easily follow me there, and I don't think I could outrun him. And if the path leads to civilization instead of being made by the ogre and whatever else lives in the ruins, I doubt any help would be close enough. It looks enticing, but it's very much a trap. I can't face the ogre in battle, so the forest is my only option. Perhaps I could hide from the ogre... I still don't know how keen his smell is, and if he could find me that way, or the vegetation slows him down more than myself, however unlikely that is, or perhaps I'll run into something else to distract the beast... Fitwik has warned me about wolves and rat-things, whatever those are, but it's not night yet. Not that running into a wolf while fleeing from an ogre would improve my situation much. Ugh. What have I done to have the gods punish me like this?

For now, I'll keep running deeper into the forest. I hope I'll be able to find the way out later, but I can't focus on remembering my way too much.

XP: 4/30
HP: 6/10
LP: 10
MP: 5/13

Gear: damaged dress (worn), spellbook and journal (??), iron dagger (stuck into a hole in the dress?), shortsword (held in hand), old leather gloves (worn), old leather apron (worn)
Spells: Shock (?? MP), Summon Scamp (4 MP)
Phoenixcz

Postby Mashugana » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:38 am

Could be Malacath for all we know, boy does like his ogres.
Let's check your luck: rolling1d100. 91! Looks like the Divines are there too, though

The ogre bellows behind you, but as you rush through the foliage you find his crashing and howling growing slimmer and slimmer, til finally you appear to have lost him. Large and powerful as they are, Ogres are also rather lazy and stupid beasts, and he had just eaten recently. It was pretty likely that he'd decided that you were more trouble to hunt down than you were worth as a meal. and broken off to head back to the ruins and find easier prey. Of course, now you're in the woods, but at least you're able to catch your breath, and you can hear running water a short distance away, opposite the ruins. On either side of you is just more forest, but there do appear to be some common herbs and berries. Of course, if you're feeling brave you could head back the way you came and investigate that path, but there's always the off chance that the ogre's watching and waiting.

In fact, you can almost hear what sounds like admittedly fairly bad singing coming from the direction of the water, it sounds like a rougher male voice. A little bit on the drunk side, too.
Mashugana

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:46 pm

I'm not accustomed to running long distances, not to mention avoiding tripping over roots and underbrush in the process. I slow down as the noise the ogre's making fades in the distance, but don't stop moving for a while longer. Then, panting, I lean against nearby tree. Though my ribs still hurt from the fall, I don't think anything's broken... I wouldn't be able to run here if it was. I look at my surroundings. The berries remind me how hungry I am, and the sound of water is also a good sign. I need fresh water and a way to clean myself before the stench of the goblin's blood lure some creatures to me. And while I have no idea where am I beyond "somewhere near a coast in High Rock", following a stream or a river should lead me to civilization. Eventually.

The ogre's clumsy and loud enough I don't worry about him deciding to follow me after all, but I have no idea what time it is. I still remember the imp's warning. Staying in the woods isn't safe. I also hear a voice coming from the same direction as the sound of water, but my recent expeciences make me wary. It may be help, but it may also be more trouble... and I don't have much energy left for spells, if I'll have to defend myself, in addition to being hurt, exhausted and hungry. I consider how to proceed. Foraging for berries would sate the worst of my hunger, but it would take time, and whoever is singing there may leave. Investigating the voice, on the other hand, may lead me to further danger. But at this point, a chance to find help is too great to pass. I'll follow the voice, but I'll be careful to avoid revealing myself until I'm sure it's not a band of orcs or brigands. Luckily, the forest provides plenty of cover for any sneaking.

Gear: damaged dress (worn), spellbook and journal (??), iron dagger (stuck into a hole in the dress?), shortsword (held in hand), old leather gloves (worn), old leather apron (worn)
Phoenixcz

Postby Mashugana » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:24 pm

Right, it's Friday evening, week's finally done, I'm a touch drunk, and it's a good time to get back to posting.

Having made your decision, you creep your way towards the stream, carefully avoiding trodding on any loose branches or twigs and staying wary of fallen logs in case of any vipers or the like. The sound of running water and humanoid activity gets closer and louder, and you find yourself just at the edge of a clearing.

A very small, very humble looking cottage is a short distance from you, next to the creek. There's a strong scent of fermenting berries or the like coming from it's direction, possibly a still. The building itself is a small wattle and daub ensemble, with a hole in the center of the roof from which a small trail of smoke can be seen flowing out. Sitting at a chair with his attention turned to the creek, a fishing rod in hand, is an orc. An old, white haired and bearded orc in dirty looking overalls and underclothes, with his boots sitting next to him, but an orc nonetheless. You can see the glint of metal at his side and see a large knife, almost the size of a shortsword. He doesn't appear to have noticed you, nor does he seem to be hostile yet, but then again, hermit types could be unpredictable.

His singing is terrible, by the by.
Mashugana

Postby Phoenixcz » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:21 am

I'm not surprised when I find it's really an orc. I guessed as much from my previous luck. Him being alone, however, is not a bad thing. He doesn't look very dangerous, all things considered... alone, old, drunk and not ready for battle. But still an orc... not really someone I'd like to meet. I've seen some back in Cyrodiil, and they apparently serve well in imperial legions, but they do have a reputation for savagery and violence, especially out in the wilder parts of Tamriel.

It's not like I have much of a choice, anyway. I have no idea where I am, and he may be of some help, at least with informations. I don't really expect anything more, and I don't have any coin or anything for trade. While I can't see anyone else, there may be someone in the cottage, or around. Well, I still have enough magicka for another summon or more direct spell, and my new sword looks about as good as his own weapon. I'm inexperienced, and he's an orc, but also old and drunk... I'd give myself about equal chance if he proves to be aggressive.

I move towards the hut, but I make sure I make some noise... I'm not sure how attentive he is, but I don't want to sneak upon him, that could be taken badly. I'm not sure how to greet him, or if he even understands tamrielic... I leave the greetings up to him, but I'm ready to defend myself, if he decides to attack instead.

Phoenixcz

PreviousNext

Return to Private Games