In Her Parent's Footsteps [Phoenixcz]

Forum for publicly viewable but closed-group role-playing.

Re: In Her Parent's Footsteps [Phoenixcz]

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:08 pm

I nod and move next to her. I'll likely tell the story to the others later, if I get a chance, but it's only for Avreene now."Yes. I don't know how interesting you'll find it, but I feel like I should tell you."

I take a deep breath and start: "It starts with two adventurers. They were good at their job, but not especially famous. They weren't friends with Elminster or the Seven Sisters, they haven't saved the world, they haven't defeated some legendary monster. At least as far as I know, I haven't met anyone who really knew them. I don't know if they really were heroes, just mercenary types looking for riches, or even secret villains. Anyway, this story isn't actually about them. They made enough gold to live comfortably and, as it happens, had a child together, a girl. They settlet down a bit, but still continued adventuring from time to time"

"One day, they left their daughter...she was about five years old...in a friend's care to go on another adventure. It must have been something important, but I never found out what it was. Unfortunately, the village where they lived was attacked in their absence. Maybe it was just a random raid, maybe it was their enemies out for blood, hard to say... Sword Coast is full of danger. Many people died, and though the girl survived, her caretaker didn't. Luckily for her, some nice people took her in, thinking her parents died in the raid."

I stop talking for a moment. I don't remember much from the raid itself, I was just a kid, but I remember being terrified. It's a distant, faded memory, but I still don't feel comfortable talking about that. I just stare in front of myself as I continue.

"They were good people and treated the girl like their own daughter, and while she missed her true family at first, she grew to love her foster parents quickly. She was just a kid, after all, and not understanding what's going on. Her new family owned a roadside inn on the High Road, close to Waterdeep. Many travelers and adventurers were passing through and telling stories. The girl loved those stories, and as she grew older, wanted to be an adventurer too, even before learning about her true parents. Her new family had to talk her out of running away to get herself killed gods know where, and put her to work in the inn instead. The girl didn't liked it at first, but it was an opportunity to meet and talk with more passing travelers, so that was good. As the years went by and she was getting older and smarter, the girl found out the innkeepers weren't her real parents... they were both humans and she was half-elven... and they told her what happened years earlier. The girl wanted to find out what happened to her real parents. Did they died on their last adventure, or did they return to the ruined village and only to find no sign of their daughter? Did they look for her, or assumed she was dead like so many others? How did they react to the news? Did they hunt down the raiders, seeking vengeance, continued adventuring, moved elsewhere and settled down, or died? Did they had more children later? But nobody knew."

This time, my silence last longer, and I close my eyes. If it was just a story, it would be just for dramatic effect, but though I talk about myself in the third person, it's much more personal. Though the story was originally intended just for Avreene, I no longer care if other girls move closer to listen too.

"Once again, the girl desired to be an adventurer, and there was no talking her out of it this time. To find her parents or what happened to them, or to become famous so they'll hear about her deeds and her name... and any adventures experienced and riches gained along the way are a nice bonus on top of that goal. Being older and smarter now, she realized she can't just pack up and go on the road, she had to learn how to defend herself, how to survive, how to do the whole adventuring business. Luckily for her, she had plenty of visiting adventurers to learn from. She couldn't exactly decide what to focus on, so she learned a bit of everything... swordsmanship, archery, sneaking around, wilderness survival, even magic and a bit of healing. And she needed equipment. None of that is cheap, and not every teacher was willing to share their knowledge just because she was asking nicely, so she had to earn some gold. Through tips at the inn, through running the occassional errand, and, well, sometimes through more... personal... services, when she was old enough for that. It took her years, but eventually she felt she's got everything she needs, and that she's ready. She said goodbye to her parents... there were tears and last ditch attempts to get her to stay... and set hit the road. She had some small, almost insignificant adventures before she arrived at the jewel of the North, the city of Neverwinter...."

I turn towards Avreene, and smile, hiding my previous somber expression under the familiar facade of a storyteller. "Not very entertaining story is it? I doubt I would earn a meal with that one. And it yet lacks proper ending, though I'm not sure if the ending would be good. Or if someone else ever hears it again."

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

HP: 10/10
Spell slots: 2/level 1
Other resources: Bardic Inspiration, 3/3. Hit die, 1x1d8
Conditions and effects: Restrained (full movement speed)
Achievements: One Time at Bandit Camp
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:52 pm

Avreene kept stone faced for a good part of the story. Slowly, though, it was dawning on her what the tale was actually about. The hint of a frown flickered upon her normally stoic face, and it was clear that she didn't know what to do with this information. Once the tale was done, she hung her head heavily and sighed. Avreen put a hand on your shoulder and said, "I don't know if I know those specific adventurers, but I don't doubt that they would be proud of their daughter." She looked up at the cieling in a silent pause. One that went on entirely too long to be comfortable. Then she looked back at you and said, "Look, when the time comes, do what you feel is right. I don't want you risking yourself for my sake, but I won't stop you."

If there was nothing else to talk about, Avreene would excuse herself, having some things to think about. Shortly after she wandered away, a voice spoke up directly behind you.

"Fuck her!" it exclaimed, "Where the fuck does she get off thinking that she can do that to you?"

The voice belonged to Seraphina, whom had snuck up behind you. It seemed she had been eaves dropping for at least a good chunk of the conversation.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:25 pm

I'm not surprised Avreene doesn't know what to make of my life's story. I'm not entirely sure myself why I've told it to her now, I just felt I should. I don't think there's any point, perhaps just a hope someone will remember me if I won't make it out of the Underdark alive. When the story is done and Avreene speaks, I shake my head. "No, I haven't expected you to have heard of them. They either weren't famous, or intentionally kept low profile. And I like to think they would've been proud of me, but.... right now, right here? I don't think so." I don't really want to dwell on this further, and even if the resulting silence is awkward, I welcome it. When she says she won't try to dissuade me from helping her and Arara, I'm surprised... convincing her wasn't the reason for my story... but I just nod in response. I'll see what I'll do when we got to that point, right now, we still have to figure out how to get out of this prison.

Seraphina's voice startle me, as I thought it was just me and Avreene. The halfling sure is sneaky. But her rather crude exlamation is sufficient to stop me from focusing the past. I can't help but grin as I turn to face her, already having a response. "I believe you already did, didn't you? And she's enjoyed that, as did I, despite the circumstances." I'm not sure how she'll react to me reminding her what happened at the camp when this whole mess started, but I just couldn't let the chance for this retort pass.

"I'm not sure how much you've heard, but I do understand her reasons, even if I don't like it. She doesn't want to risk our lives, even when she's risking hers, just like I wanted to back then." Seraphina caught me by surprise. I did want to talk to her, sure, but this isn't exactly how I imagined that conversation would go. I can only guess if she's got her own thing to say beyond just chiding Avreene.

If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:37 pm

She walks up with a chuckle and gives you a slap on the ass. "Given how tempting the two of you are, I'd do it again in a heart beat," she says with a laugh, before turning more serious, "But you know that's not what I'm talking about."

Seraphina frowns and looks at the warrior as she wanders away. She scowls and shakes her head, "Don't let her honor act fool you. She's from a noble family, yeah? We all kind of dumped this leadership thing on you, but shouldn't she have been the first to step up? She just doesn't want the responsibility. And I'm not even sure she cares if she's captured again. Between you and me? I think she enjoys it! She's just pushing the burden on you, and making you feel terribly for what you choose. Pretty shitty if you ask me."
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:27 pm

I can't supress a small yelp when she slaps my ass and I smile at her. "Well, all the more reason to escape, then. But I'll pass on the goblin next time." I certainly wouldn't mind another round with the halfling. If there's one thing I don't regret, it's the sex before Dregs joined in, even with how worried I was about her true allegience. On second thought, if anything that may have made it even better.

My next answer is more hesitant. "You...aren't wrong about that." So, apparently she didn't hear Avreene admitting to pretty much the same thing. Having felt the burden of responsibility myself, I don't hold it against her, though bit of an up-front warning would've been appreciated. Too late for that now. "I have been considering if things would've gone differently if someone else was in charge and I haven't come with my plan, but I can't change the past. I know it's not entirely my fault, but I still feel responsible for us ending up here. First, we need to escape, then we can worry about picking a new leader. Or each going our own way, whatever. I just wish I had a plan better than 'look for an opportunity and make the most of it when it comes'. But given how my last plan went, not having one may be a good thing."

To change a topic a bit, there are other things I've wanted to talk to Seraphina about. The memories she's inadvertenly shared with us through Stool's telepathy, for one, but won't press her on that, as curious as I am. It's up to her if she wants to talk about her past. There's a better question. "Speaking of everyone going their own way, you could've just walk away, back in that cave. Why haven't you? It would've certainly ended up better for you."

Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:00 am

Seraphina flinched at your question. It was certainly something she wasn't expecting to talk about. She quickly adopted a dopey grin and said, "Eh, I've been in worse scrapes than this. Hells! This is practically a vacation. I don't have elf blood, so I don't get the worst treatment, and I'm sure eventually one of the guards will be lonely enough that I could have some fun. And while you may not like looking for opportunities, I can say that method has done alright by me so far. I'm sure I'll get out of here alright, so there's no use worrying."
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:38 am

I shouldn't be surprised Seraphina doesn't want to talk about herself and her motivations. I suspect she cares about the rest of our group more than she pretends to, though, of course, I may misjudge her reasons, it's hard to say with her. I won't ask again, if she'll want to talk about it, she can do it on her own. "Well, good luck then. If any of us escape, I'll consider it a small victory, even if I feel partially responsible for all of you, regardless if Avreene maneuvered me into this position or not." I smile at the halfling. If she'll be the only one who could get away and ditches the rest of us in the process, I won't hold it against her. I wouldn't do the same, and I would miss her, but taking any advantage of any opportunity would be the smart thing to do.

"I should've listened to you more, though, you've had the right ideas. Got any suggestions this time? Not lewd ones, I mean, though of course I'll listen to those too."

Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:14 pm

"Nothing immediately, other than maybe asking the people that have been here longer about the place in general," she sighs, "Though I have noticed scar face doesn't seem to like the priestess or her boy toy much. I doubt he cares about us, but if he has a grudge he's been nursing, then that could be something we could use."

She smiles at you with a naughty expression after giving her insights, "As for lewd suggestions? You might need to get laid a few more times to be able to keep up, but I've definitely had my eye on you. I wouldn't mind training you into a proper slut whenever you feel up to it. Hell, if we wanna get along with everyone here, we can even try to push for a cell wide orgy. Invite anyone you like, cept the orc. If he wants to get laid, he can go fuck himself to do it."
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:18 pm

I nod. "I doubt he would side with us just because of that, but maybe it'll open some opportunities. I'll keep an eye on him." I don't know much about drow, but I've heard stories, and I don't think a male would be willing to go against a priestess for the sake of some random surface captives. Unless he's more like Drizzt, but what are the chances of that?

When she mentions a cell-wide orgy, I have to stiffle a laugh at the image. "Wouldn't that be something. I don't think there would be many takers, though, but it would be hell of a distraction. And yeah, the orc is out of luck." Not much of a distraction, actually... it would draw the guard's attention, sure, but if we're still all in the same cell, we wouldn't be able to take advantage of that. And even then, I don't see many of the prisoners... our group included... actually going for it. Her other offer, however, sounds intriguing. Something to look forward if we escape, perhaps?

"Thanks anyway. Do you want to talk about anything else?" She's private about her own background, but perhaps there's something she wants to ask me, or maybe she just want to talk. Otherwise, I may try to meet more of our fellow prisoners.

Spell slots: Level 1: 2/2
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:42 am

"I don't know. Hate can be a powerful motivator," she says pensively. (Insight 16) It sounds like she is speaking from experience. The halfling shrugs and stretches her stiff arms as the conversation winds down, sticking out her small but perky breasts. She smirks as you agree about the fate of the orc, though you have to wonder how serious she was about the orgy. She's often hard to read, and has proven to have a perverted sense of humor. But that doesn't mean that she might not be trying to find a way to make it work. So far, it seems like she is treating being captured as little more than an inconvenience. Seraphina shakes her head at your inquiry and replies, "I didn't have anything else in mind for now. Though I must say I am curious about you. If you have time, I wouldn't mind getting to know you better. Take that in any sense you like."

She says that last part with a wink. She leans back against the cavern wall and waits to see if you bite. If you decide to investigate the other prisoners, she will go about watching everyone in the alcove.

Looks like I get a lot of free time for the next little while.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:24 pm

I can't help but watch as Seraphina stretches. I'm still a bit conflicted about that... I'm well aware she's an adult woman, but she's the first halfling I've been involved with intimately, and I'm still weirded out how much smaller she's than myself. I'm on a short side myself, but she's still look somewhat child-like to me. At least dwarves have enough bulk to make the difference clear, and I think I'm closer in height to Torga than to Avreene. It's weird, but not weird enough to not to think about having more fun with ler later... the fact she's pretty damn good certainly contributes to that.

I don't mind getting to known the rogue better, but not in the way she propably wants to... at least for now. I don't think she'll open up about her past, and I won't press her on that, even if I'd like to get some answers, but if she wants to talk, I don't have much to hide myself. And I think I'll have a favor to ask of her later. I respond with a smile. "Hmmm... I don't think this is the right time and place for what I'd like... if nothing else, I should get a bath first, I think I still stink like goblins... but if you want to ask me anything, I'm an open book... or, well, unpublished story. Or, if you don't want to feed my ego, we can talk about anything you like."

Lina
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:31 am

"Alright, let's hear a bit about ya then," she smiled and sat down with her legs crossed, "You've told us a couple of stories in our travels, but not a lot. And certainly embellished in places, not that I mind. Entertainment is entertainment. But I don't think we've actually learned much about who you were before meeting us in Neverwinter, or why you do what you do. So let's start with that? What made Lina Danelis take up the life of adventure?"
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:43 pm

"The lure of fame and fortune, of course, what else?" I smile and then explain. "I'm not sure how much of that story I've told Avreene you've overheard, and I can tell it again, if you want, but as a child, I've heard a lot of tales from various adventure, wandering bards and other visitors of my parents'... my stepparents'... inn. Well, that sort of things leaves an impression, and I always liked the idea of being the valiant knight slaying the dragon more than being the pretty, but helpless princess. Wouldn't surprise me if that kind of thing ran in my blood. Of course, the stories usually don't mention the less fun parts of being an adventurer... danger, goblin rapists, sleeping in some roadside bush in the rain, so the lure of adventure was still there when I grew older, and I figured I'll want to do more than just being a tavern wench, and eventually, perhaps an inkeeper myself... not that there's anything wrong with that, apparently, surprising amount of successful adventurers tend to retire to buy a tavern or an inn."

"I also got the idea that if I'll become famous and successful hero, my true parents, if they are still out there, may hear my name and find me again... or I may find out what happened to them along the way. Foolish, perhaps, but girl can dream. And if that won't happen, there's still the wealth that comes with the job... bounties and rewards, treasures found, magical artifacts uncovered... riches I wouldn't see in a lifetime of serving drinks and being molested by drunks..." I give Seraphina a sly wink. "Not that the later is always unwelcome."

"So, heroism, sure, but not exactly that kind that would make me refuse any potential reward. And I'll make sure anyone nearby will hear about it. Not.... exactly heroic, I guess, but I'm not a paladin. Aaand I think I'll skip some parts of this adventure, if I'll get to tell it at all."

[link=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1407502]Lina[/link]
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:04 am

"I guess I can get behind fame and riches," the halfling smiled, "The heroics, I could take or leave myself. But if they are paying the bills, then I guess it's good that something good is being done. And I guess I can understand not wanting to fall into a boring life, no disrespect to your family. All in all, there are worse reasons to get into this kind of work. I hope you find your family, some day."

As you tell your story, some adventure finds some of the people you share a cell with. The drow, you now know as Sarith, ended up getting in an argument with some of the guards. It looks like they were looking for trouble, and the prisoner's pride got in the way of his self-preservation. A couple of the guards come in and beat him down for insubordination, and continue to kick him a couple times for their own amusement once he has fallen to the ground. The rest of the nearby guards keep crossbows trained on as many prisoners as possible, to dissuade anyone from trying anything funny. Oddly enough, you notice they don't track everyone. (Perception 190) Out of the corner of your eye, you see Jimjar standing near the gate door. The guards closed it behind them, so no one would run for it, but that doesn't seem to change much. You see something shiny glint under the door, and Jimjar quickly stoop and snatch it, slipping it in his pocket. With everyone focusing on the fight, you doubt anyone else noticed.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:43 am

"Thanks. I hope I will, but I realize it's not very likely. How about you, got any motivations beyond gold you'd wanted to share?"

As I see the fight between the drow, I wonder what that one did to end up amongst us other prisoners. The guards don't go any easier on him than they do on the rest of us... perhaps he'll be willing to cooperate. I don't interrupt them... I'm not stupid enough to provoke the guards myself, even if they didn't look ready to shoot everyone. When I notice Jimjar, I wonder what he's up to, and how he got away with it. The drow seem to keep an eye on everyone else. Of course, there's more prisoners than guards, so they can't watch everyone, but still. He's not part of 'our' group, but we're all in this together, perhaps he's found something that would help us escape... I'll have to talk to him, once the guards are done and gone. And the drow too, if they don't beat him to death in the meantime.

Lina
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:55 pm

"I do," Seraphina said quietly, "but I don't want to bore you with them."

It probably has something to do with the visions you saw thanks to Stool. It's becoming clear that she has something in her past that she wants buried. You may be able to pry it from her eventually, but you would have to do a lot to gain her trust.

Eventually the guards get enough of beating the drow and move on. Jimjar has already moved from the gate at this point, and was sitting at a table, the guards none the wiser. One guard detours over to Stool on his way out of the cell, and kicks the young miconid over. He laughs cruelly as the little mushroom's legs wiggle desperately in the air to try and right themselves. The gate closes behind them, and Sarith tries to crawl to his feet. Failing to do so, he sits for a bit and tries to recover a bit of his strength.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun May 03, 2020 7:58 pm

Yeah, I didn't expect to get an answer, but my curiosity couldn't be helped. While I don't mind talking to Seraphina and answering more of her questions, if she has any, my attention is inevitably drawn to the beaten drow. How did he end up amongst us? Is he a captive from a different drow faction, a criminal, or just someone who angered the priestess or some other superior? Could he be a potential ally, a threat to any escape plan, or just someone to more-or-less ignore, like the orc? A drow would be an useful ally, but could he be trusted to not betray us to his fellows? I'll have to find out more about him and his standing with our captors. And... not that it has any bearing on anything... he is the best, or at least the least most monstrous-looking of all the prisoners outside my group and Eldeth.

I stay with Seraphina until the guards are finished with him, then excuse myself and make my way to Sarith. I offer him a hand when I notice his attempt to stand up. "<Want some help?>" I'm not sure how he'll react, so I try to make it sound as to imply he doesn't need any help, even though he clearly does. A drow likely wouldn't want to show weakness, but if he wants to use me to get up, that's his choice. I ask him in elven... I'm not sure if anyone besides Buppido noticed I understand uncommon language, but let's not make a show of it anyway.

Lina
Phoenixcz

Previous

Return to Private Games