In Her Parent's Footsteps [Phoenixcz]

Forum for publicly viewable but closed-group role-playing.

Re: In Her Parent's Footsteps [Phoenixcz]

Postby devilbird » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:58 pm

In between insults and threats, you try to weave in the gestures and words needed to cast your spell. Somehow you manage to pull it off without the goblin ever realizing what you are trying to do. You glance toward the rope and see that you have managed to light a small flame, about the size of a candle's flame, upon the rope near the branch. It'll take a bit longer to burn through, but anything larger might alert the goblin no matter where it was lit. However, it seems like that need not have been a concern. The goblin turns around, bends over, and slaps his ass at you before running away down the trail. He must not have wanted to stick around while your friends were still near. Even with him moving at his full speed, he's still in range for a few spells.

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Lina casts prestidigitation
Deception 17 vs Goblin's Insight
Rope catches fire
Slight of hand 11 vs Goblin's Passive Perception
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:23 am

Looks like my plan is working, but it will take some time for the rope to burn through or just weaken enough to snap under my weight. I hope I'll be able to defend myself from more thrown rocks before that happen. But it doesn't look like I'll need to... the goblin is satisfied with his small victory and looks ready to run away. I can't let that happen... with the trap here, we may be close to their camp, and even if I could free myself before he brings reinforcements, I don't want them chasing me back to the cart and the rest of the girls. But I can stop him. Though being upside down and in a hurry doesn't help, I open my pouch and reach inside for a handful of rose petals, pouring out most of the rest in the process thanks to my position. It's not easy performing the gestures right in these circumstances, but finally, I make the final gesture and throw the petals in the goblin's direction, hopefully before he gets beyond what I can only guess as the maximum range for the spell. Whether I succeed or not, I start to wriggle and squirm to put more strain on the rope to free myself faster. If the goblin falls asleep, I'll have only minute to get free and do something about him... propably binding him with the very rope I was restrained with, I'm not going to wrestle with a naked goblin again. And if he doesn't, I want to be out of here as fast as I can.

Using Sleep on the fleeing goblin. Can hit target up to 110' away (90' range, 20' AoE from the center)

HP: 8/10
Spell slots expended: 1/level 1
Other resources: Bardic Inspiration, 2/3
Conditions and effects: Restrained?, angry, humiliated and glad nobody's around.
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:21 am

You may be restrained, but only by the legs. You perform the gestures and words needed to cast your spell, and watch as the goblin staggers and drops. With him out cold, you swing and struggle while the fire eats at the rope. You need to escape before he awakens once more, and have no time to lose. You hear a snap and the ground rushes upwards to meet you with a painful thunk.

After you remove the rope from your leg, you quickly use it to tie up the naked goblin while he sleeps. Minutes later, your party emerges from the bushes behind you and make their way towards you on the trail. From the look of things, Torga has patched up your wizard and she looks no worse for the wear. Before following after you, they've hidden away the cart of supplies so it won't be stolen in their absence. They are glad to see you safe and that you've caught the goblin before he got away. Though they do show some concerns for the bump on your forehead.

4 falling damage
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:59 am

The fall hurt more than I thought it would. While it didn't look like that much of a height from my perspective, I still hit the ground head first, even when i tried to use my hands to protect myself. I was in a hurry and I couldn't predict when exactly will the rope break, and I was trying to speed it up, which didn't exactly helped me. But I'm still alive and conscious, so that's a win.

Even with the goblin tied up, I keep my eye on him. The little bastard is slippery as an eel, and I'm not taking any chances. I'm about to go back to the cart when the others arrive to meet me. I'm glad to see Arara seemingly unharmed, healing magic really is a great gift. I show them the tied... and now awake... goblin, and explain he managed to lure me into a trap before I subdued him, though I don't go into any embarassing details involved. When they ask about my injury, I wave it off as nothing serious. It is not life-threatening, though admittedly the resulting headache is unpleasant and distracting. I could use some rest, or better yet, some magical healing, and in a different circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to use my spell, but... "I got him, but I believe that trap means their camp is close. We should move back to the cart and try to interrogate our prisoner to find out how many of them are there, what are their defenses, and anything else we could use either to attack or to warn others. Does anyone know goblin language? And..." I turn to Torga, looking a bit concerned: "I ran after the goblin in a hurry and haven't noticed... was Gundren there? If not, we need to know if he's escaped, was captured or... dragged to their camp dead." Though I won't say it out loud, the interrogation would also allow me to rest a bit to see if the headache subside. I wouldn't want to attack the goblin camp in this state... or, given how dangerous that kind of thing would be, at all, if I could help it... but I want to keep up the appearance of "tough girl".

HP: 4/10
Conditions and effects:
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:43 pm

The goblin wakes up as the time has run out on the spell. He notices that he is bound and sees Avreene's imposing figure as she bends to pick him up. He screams and tries to struggle, but is unable to do anything to free himself. She tosses him over her shoulder and rejoins the group. They agree to your plan of interrogating him back at the cart, as the screaming might attract attention from other goblins otherwise. Arara says she can speak goblin, so she can translate if need be. She herself, however, doesn't really know how to conduct an interrogation and isn't really imposing. Anything she says may or may not have the desired effect. The others look to you to decide who will be participating in this.

As you walk back, Torga answers your question, "Nay lass, neither Gundren nor Sildar were there, but those were definitely their horses. I'm glad you caught this pipsqueak, as they probably captured him. With any luck, that means they aren't dead." She tries to speak with confidence, but you can hear the shakiness of her voice. She's clearly worried about her cousin.

Gain 34 exp for the goblins
You have the option of taking a short rest while the others interrogate him, or being an active participant.
Attempts to do both will result in you being too active to rest, or getting disadvantage on checks performed while resting.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:52 am

I can do some thinking on the way back to the cart. It is true that Arara isn't the most physically imposing from our group, but all of us except Seraphina already have advantage on the goblin simply by virtue of being members of larger races. Even Torga, shortest of us after the halfling, has the advantage of the shared dwarven stoutness and her own muscles. Obviously, Avreene is the tallest and strongest, but to a goblin, the difference may not be that important. Arara serving as a translator would also lessen the effect of someone else doing the threatening part. But she's got different advantages.... aren't elves and goblins natural enemies thanks to hostility between their gods? Or are those orcs? I'm not sure, religion isn't my strong suit.

The narrow path doesn't allow me to get next to her and talk with her during the walk back to the cart, but I'll catch up with her when we arrive. "I'm not sure if mere physical threats would work, but you're the only one capable of talking to him. Do you know any magic that could be used to make some displays of power, ideally without expending too much energy? I think it would be better if you've used something like that yourself, instead of just translating Avreene or someone else's threats. One of the others could propably advice you and add some direct threat, if needed. And he's the one who shot you, if you need something to rouse your anger." I take a look at her body, where the wound used to be, though my eyes stray a bit and linger longer than what would be necessary to just check if she's all right.Meanwhile, the others join us. "If anyone knows anything about interrogations, go ahead, but someone should watch the path, just in case more goblins would show up. And I'm sure Seraphina is good at getting the men to talk, but I don't think a goblin is a good target for those methods." I grin at the halfling to indicate it was just a joke, though I do remember the impression she gave me when we first met. "I'll leave the questioning to you, I hit my head when I walked into the goblin trap. It's nothing serious, but I'd like a moment until my headache passes. Torga, can you join me, unless you want to take part in the interrogation?"

I leave everyone to do what they want and go sit on the wagon. If Torga joins me, I'll let her take a look at the bump on my head, though I'll decline any possible offer of magical aid, arguing that her energy will be needed later and the injury isn't that serious. I also try to calm her down a bit, to assure her that, if the goblin even got them at all, Gundren and Sildar were propably captured for ransom and are likely fine. I hope she won't act as rash as before when (and if) we attack the goblin encampment. I also ask if her family name Goblinbane means she has some experience with, or at least knowledge about fighting goblins, and if she could offer any advice.

Leaving the interrogation to the girls, taking short rest and using HD to restore HP. d8+2

HP: 4/10
Conditions and effects:
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:49 am

You and your party reach where they hid the cart and set down the goblin. You sit down to rest while Torga helps tend to your wounds. She admits that she's been present for a few interrogations back when she was a mercenary. However, she would be remiss if she didn't give you medical attention first. While she looks you over, the rest head over to the goblin to try to get any information out of him. All except Rowan, who decided she wouldn't be much help. Instead, she volunteered to be look out.

While looking you over, the cleric tells you that you managed to get a pretty nasty knock on the head, and to be on alert for signs of a concussion. Since you ask, she tells you that before she became a mercenary, her clan got it's name for a history of battles to wipe goblins from the Underdark. She hates them as much as any self respecting dwarf, but hasn't had a personal run in until now. She does, however, know a few thing that her parents passed down to her about their mortal foes. They may be weak, but they are cunning. They like to trap and enslave whomever they can, just to feel superiority. They love to display their cruelty to their slaves, often treating them worse than anyone else. It is always a good idea to kill a goblin when you come across one, though she still wants this one alive to find her cousin. Finally, she tells you that a great majority of them actually know common, right before you hear the goblin yell, "Lemme go ya elvin cunt!"

With the language barrier out of the way, Seraphina convinces the goblin that she has actually fallen for such an imposing goblin warrior, and wishes to become it's personal slave. All it needs to do is tell her what it can about it's camp so that she can help him get to it. The goblin reveals several things as it's ego and manhood both inflate. The Cragmaw hideout as he calls it was further down the path, just past a pitfall. There aren't a lot of goblins there, so he'd be able to keep her to himself for the most part. The only person he even has to answer to is a bugbear named Klarg, who in turn only answers to the king of the Cragmaw tribe. Seraphina tries to ask about Gundren and Sildar, but the goblin doesn't seem to think that's relevant to his new slave.

Max roll on the hit die, regain back to full.
Seraphina uses Deception: 17
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:23 am

I'm glad for Torga's help, and take her advice to heart. I wouldn't want to be distracted by a headache, or dizziness, or whatever the symptoms of concussion are while fighting goblins. I also listen to her explanaition about goblins. Even without the goblin's confirmation, it seems more and more propable they took Gundren prisoner... and the tale of their cruelty means we really have to do something about them now, instead of trying to find help in Phandalin. Not that I wouldn't want to free them as soon as possible anyway. The bump on my head also confirms the "weak, but cunning" description nicely. And, hearing the shouts, it seems like my worry about the need for translation was baseless.

I also watch Seraphina to work her magic. I make mental note for later. You never know when you can use something like this, though I would prefer to try it on someone else than a goblin... and someone smarter would see through it. Or would they? Men are men. Her method seems very effective... a bit too effective, perhaps. I don't think I really needed to know how erect goblin dick looks like. Rest of the informations is interesting, though, assuming the goblin isn't lying. Not too many goblins is a good news, their leader being bugbear... I'm not so sure about. Bugbears are more like hairy orcs than goblins, if I remember correctly. He may be a problem. And the mention of "king"... perhaps an information people in Phandalin will be interested in. No confirmation about the captives, though.

I don't want to interrupt Seraphina's efforts, but I think the goblin could tell us more. I excuse myself from Torga's presence for a moment, than make my way to her, eyeing the goblin. "Be careful with him, he is quite capable for a goblin. It took a lot of effort to catch up with him, and he still almost got me." It's not just to further feed the goblin's ego, it's not far from the truth. While I managed to take him down, it took way more effort than it should have. I continue in whisper, so only Seraphina hears it. "Try to find more about this Klarg and the king he mentioned... say you're worried they'll try to take you for themselves, or to sell you with other captives, or something." With that, I leave them again, but keep in hearing distance.

HP: 10/10
Other resources: Bardic Inspiration, 2/3. Hit die, 0/1d8
Conditions and effects:
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:59 am

The goblin eyes you suspiciously as you whisper to Seraphina. She doesn't nod or anything to give away that she understands, but subtly taps you on the leg without the goblin noticing to affirm. The goblin waits for you to wander away before grilling Seraphina on what just happened.

"What was that all about?," he asks. Seraphina replies with, "She was simply warning me further about your cunning. She was confiding in me how you humiliated her with your clever traps and wolf like agility. In all truth, it only made me desire you more."

With her flattery at your expense, the goblin puffs up in pride. "Well, I'm not going anywhere," he says as he gestures his head down to his erection, "Why doesn't my new slave show me how much she wants me?"

"Oh! Um... uh," Seraphina says as she tries to come up with something, "I would love to, master? But I've already doing everything in my power from hoping on you and letting you breed me as much as you like. If I started doing anything to pleasure you while they were watching, then they would know I was on your side. If they were to become suspicious of me, then I wouldn't be able to help you escape later tonight."

"That is true," the goblin muses, his ego blinding him, "It sucks, but we'll have to wait for our escape before I can fuck your brains out. What exactly is your plan for saving my ass?"

Seraphina's smile twitches at the goblin's plans to fuck her, but she carries on, "That part won't be an issue. I'll volunteer to keep watch when everyone goes to sleep. Then, once I cut you free, We can then ambush them while they're unaware and capture them as well. I'm sure six new slaves will help you earn the recognition you deserve. My only worry is about your king or this bugbear you were talking about. Won't they try to take us for themselves?"

The goblin laughs and whispers to her, "You don't have to worry about King Grol, as he's off at Cragmaw Castle. As for Klarg, he may be big, but he's not as smart as me. If he tries to take you from me, then it might be time for someone new to take control of the hideout."
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:38 am

I don't interfere in Seraphina's efforts any further, and return back to Torga, dividing my attention between her and trying to listen to the goblin and his new "slave". Unfortunately, I can't hear everything, as even my ears aren't keen enough to understand the goblin's whispers. Seraphina's "betrayal" could be used as potential way to get us to the goblin's camp, but it would be risky... and I imagine not everyone would be willing to play along. I'll mention it to others and find out who would be interested later, when we decide on our next move, but for now, let's call it plan C. Plan B is, of course, direct attack on the camp to free the captives, and plan A is about the same, only with more stealth involved. And we still don't have confirmation that Gundren and his friend are really there... I'm tempted to sneak in and do some scouting myself. I'm sure Seraphina could do it better, but she's already done enough, and I don't want to send her to do something more dangerous. Ironic, considering we'll likely attack a goblin raider camp soon.

I let Seraphina finish her interrogation, then call everyone closer to listen to her finds and deliberate on a plan.

Conditions and effects:
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:13 am

Everyone gathers around while Seraphina finishes her interrogation. She whispers something to the goblin before joining with you. She shares what she learned from the goblin, including numbers and strength. She also shares the fact that your captive is more than willing to kill the bugbear to keep you, and that the king is somewhere else. Unfortunately she wasn't able to learn about Gundren at all. With everything on the table, your party start debating on how to proceed.

"Well obviously we should sneak in as far as we can," Rowan whispers so that the goblin can't hear, "We know roughly were the last trap is, so we can avoid that on the trail. And we know know they've got about twenty goblins or so at their hide out, so a frontal assault would probably be suicide."

"I agree," says Seraphina. Arara chimes in as will with, "That sounds sensible to me, Ms. Tallstag."

"Whoa, hold on!" Avreene says butts in, "That's all well and good for you lot, but some of us can't quite sneak like you can."

Torga agrees with Avreene saying, "Aye, they'll probably hear us coming, and we'll just gifting ourselves to them if we walk up thinking that we tricked them. Besides, goblins aren't that much trouble if'n yer prepared. The only real threat would be the bugbear."

"That's a good point, perhaps we should focus on just fighting our way through?" says Arara.

"Are you kidding me?!" Seraphina asks indignantly while trying not to raise her voice, "They might be weak, but they aren't dumb. If we want to just charge in recklessly, then we're as good as slaves already. We may as well just untie the one over there and prostrate ourselves in front of him. It's the same thing!"

Everyone suddenly looks incredibly uncomfortable with Seraphina's outburst. No one is looking each other in the eye, and Avreene and Torga are even blushing. After a few moments of awkward silence, Avreene is the first to speak up again, "Look, I'm not saying we should go in unprepared. Phandalin isn't far from here. We could stock up on supplies and take their hideout in earnest. Maybe even recruit some locals to help bolster our numbers."

Torga shakes her head, "That won't do. Every moment we waste is one were something could happen to Gundren. Heading to town pretty much turns this from a rescue mission to one where we are just recovering a corpse to bury. Hells, for the same reason we should fight our way in instead of sneaking. We don't have time to sneak about."

Arara just looks overwhelmed and turns to give you a weak little smile. It seems she isn't sure what side to be on and is turning to you. That makes you the deciding vote. You might even be able to persuade them to follow any other plan you come up with, since they voted you leader.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:35 pm

I listen to both plans. They aren't that far from our own, but there are flaws with both. When the girls turn to me, I answer. "Frontal assault is risky. Besides facing superior numbers, and maybe more traps, there's also the chance the goblins will kill the captives if they start losing. We can try, but we had wounded in the battle with much smaller force, even though the moment of surprise will be on our side this time." I look at Arara when I mention her injury.

"That said, the stealth option isn't much of an option either. Two of us can't sneak in their armors, and they would need them if fighting starts..." I turn my gaze to Avreene and Torga. "And if we wait for the darkness to improve our chances, half of us can't see in the dark, while the goblins can. And I'm not sure if sending the stealthier members in to rescue the captives in the night would be possible. They may be wounded, and we don't where and how are they imprisoned."

"Combined approach sounds like the best chance to me. Those stealthier would go ahead, get near the camp, preferably from a different side. If we can sneak in to secure the prisoners, good, but even if not, the other group would go for the frontal attack. We hit them from two sides, keep them divided and confused. We'll be divided too, which is a disadvantage, but if things go wrong, there will be a better chance at least some of us could escape to get help in Phandalin."

I turn my attention to Seraphina, but hesitate for a moment before I mention the idea the interrogation has given me. "There's also another option, but it's both risky and requires certain personal sacrifice. You're free to slap me if you don't like it, and without your agreement, there would be no vote." I nod towards the halfling. "We can try to use the goblin to cause trouble in the camp. If we play along with your lie, you could pretend to betray us. The goblin would take us.... you and any other volunteers, and I would be up for that, it is my idea, after all... to their camp. Anyone who doesn't want to take a part in that would pretend to leave to get help in Phandalin, leaving you, me, the goblin and any other volunteer alone. No matter what he thinks, I'm pretty certain the other goblins would be interested in us too. If they would fight and kill each other over us, it would make our job easier, or at least distract them. The other group could use the distraction to get closer and wait until they forces are weakened before the attack... but I presume it would take up to until dawn, just for the light. A willing slave will likely get more freedom, so it would be easier for you to escape and cause more troubles. But the downsides of this plan should be pretty obvious... besides being divided and maybe without some of our equipment, you'd have to go through with your promises to the goblin. And if the plan fails, the slavery would be certain for those of us in the camp." I look at all of them, and wait for the slap from Seraphina.

"Volunteers only. Being voted for leader or not, this isn't something I'd order to any of you. The captives will propably be parted from their equipment... I can deal with that, this..." I tap on my hardened leather corset "Is more for looks than for any real protection, and I think I can sneak in any reagents I'd need for my magic... but not everyone can. And, you know, the prospect of being molested by a band of goblins." When I mention it, it's my turn to blush, judging by the heat i feel from my face. It is a risky plan, and so many things could go wrong, but if it works, we'll make the battle much easier. In my thoughs, I promise half of the ten gold pieces we've been promised to the first shrine of Tymora I'll come across if she grants us her favor. And... to Nine Hells with it... the other half to Beshaba if she focuses her attention on the goblins instead of us.

Conditions and effects:
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:18 am

Seraphina looks you dead in the eye. Her expression is more serious than you've ever seen her have. Everyone is silent to your suggestion. But a slap never comes. Instead she carefully reads your face and says, "Are you sure you'd want to do that? I have no problem taking a gamble like that, but you sure aren't kidding about the costs. First of all, we would probably have to stage a struggle to help sell that I'm betraying you guys. Anyone planning on playing the part of a prisoner would probably have to take a few knocks just to show that we aren't faking it. The other problem is that he'll probably want to sample his slaves before taking them back. His 'slaves' will get fucked and humiliated, probably painfully too. Goblins like to show their dominance and superiority. I can try to satiate him as best I can, but I'll probably be expected to humiliate you as well, as a show of loyalty. So don't expect any kindness from me until we get to the hideout."

Everyone else looks uncomfortable, like they can't believe they are actually entertaining the idea. Torga looks extremely conflicted, as she shifts uncomfortably while rubbing her holy symbol in thought. "If that's what we decide to do, then I'll volunteer. As long as it can help me rescue Gundren, then I would be a coward to refuse."

"I guess I volunteer as well," Avreene says with a bitter expression on her face, one that's clouded by blushing as she realizes what she'll have to do, "If I went with the second party, then I still run the risk of drawing too much attention. Better to have me where I can be of more help. That said, I don't particularly want to bow down to a goblin of all things."

Arara and Rowan decide that if you do decide to go through with this crazy plan, then they'd rather be part of group B. That way they can help if something goes wrong. Everyone seems at least willing to consider the idea now that Torga got the ball rolling. She's definitely determined to go after her cousin, one way or another. With everyone prepared to vote on it, you probably have one last chance to sway the vote toward which ever option you'd prefer. Not everyone may side with you, but it wouldn't hurt to gain what ever support you can.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:29 pm

I nod when Seraphina finishes, my expression also serious when I answer. "Yes. It won't be pleasant, and I don't especially relish the idea, but I believe we need some sort of distraction. Even if they aren't great fighters, if the goblins outnumber us three or four to one, there's a real possibility some of us will die or we all end up captured. I don't think we have the time to get help in Phandalin, and other distraction ideas I've had... setting something on fire or having someone show up in the camp and draw the goblins away... are either just as risky, or worse. If we get the goblins to fight amongs themselves, it will make things easier... and it will also draw their attention away from Gundren. I think I can deal with whatever comes, and I wouldn't mention the idea if I wasn't willing to take part in it myself."

I'm surprised when Torga and Avreene volunteers to play prisoners. Torga, I can understand doing it from the concern for her cousin, but I figured Avreene as the one most likely opposing this idea. Still, I shake my head. "Thank you for the offer, but I'd like you two in the rescue team. You and Rowan are better warriors than us, and you'd need your gear to fight. I have magic." I'm not mentioning I don't have enough strength left for more than a single spell, and it is unlikely I'll get enough rest to gather more. "And Seraphima may be able to keep some of her equipment if she'll go with the goblin voluntarily and cooperates with him. You four will be better able to get our asses out of trouble if my plan doesn't work. And the less captives, the less convulted and complicated will the "betrayal" need to be." I focus back on the halfling. "You can do whatever you'll need to to me. I'll consider myself lucky if it's you instead of the goblin." I smile encourangingly and blush. It's not like I haven't entertained some thoughts about having some fun with the halfling since her offer when I first met her. I'm not that interested in halflings, they look too much like children to me, but let's be honest with myself: I am curious. Even though the circumstances would be different from what I've imagined.

"The other team will have to pretend they are leaving. If you think you can put stealthy observer near the camp, do it, watch what's going on in there, others may keep their distance and attack when the scout signals them it is the right time. But, please, at dawn at the latest, if there isn't any better opportunity sooner... I don't want to be there longer than necessary, and we'll switch to more direct plan if it takes that long. I'll leave the tactics up to you." I trust them they'll know their abilities better than myself, and that they won't leave us to our fate. And I really believe we can not only pull this off, with a bit of luck, but also that it's our best option at the moment.

"Given the circumstances, if anyone objects to this plan for any reason... and you don't have to share the reason, if you don't want to... we'll ignore it and go with majority vote for the other plans. In that case, my vote is for the stealthy assault." Now, to wait. I doubt I can persuade them any further, no matter what I say.

Conditions and effects:
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:56 am

With everyone else vetoed, the entire party looks at Arara, whom was supportive of your choices until she was thrown under the bus. "Wha?! Don't look at me!" she scrambles, "I'm not letting anything take my spellbook away."

"Look," Avreene says as she turns back to you, "I refuse to let you do this on your own. Seraphina said that she wouldn't be able to help you if things went south, so if you don't take anyone, then I reject this whole plan. You have your volunteers for this suicide mission. Even if you only pick one, then I should at least go with."

"Now hold on," Torga pipes in, in a rare instance where she raises her voice, only to control it once more, "If anyone should go, it should be me. I've got more reason to do this than you do."

"Yeah, but you also have more reason to hold back if something goes wrong," Avreene replied, "Meanwhile I'm the more sensible choice. I could ruin the rescue party's chances of sneaking anywhere, so I would be better suited in the front line. Besides, whomever volunteers will definitely be stripped of their weapons and tools. I'm pretty sure I'm the best suited to holding my own unarmed."

"Yer not the only one that can throw a punch, as I'll gladly show ye," Torga threatens. Finally Seraphina butts into the argument by tensely whispering, "Look, I don't care who does what, but can we all agree on something soon? The goblin's probably getting suspicious."
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:25 pm

I quickly interrupt Arara. "Don't worry, you said you don't want to take part in it, nobody will force you to."

i'm surprised at both Avreene's and Torga's insistence. I can understand why Torga wants to get to her cousin as soon as possible, but why Avreene? She doesn't seemed like the type for something like... this. "In truth, I would be perfectly fine doing this on my own, but Seraphina's presence is required to convince the goblin. I believe this will work, but if the plan fails, I don't want any of you to suffer the consequences of my idea. But you two..." I look in turn at Avreene and Torga. "Both look determined to go with me, even when you're aware of what would it mean. I won't stop you... not both of you. I trust Rowan's and Arara's skill, but I still think the rescue team should have more people than just the two of them. Both of you have good reasons to go... I think." I look at Avreene. I appreciate if it's just for my and Seraphina's sake, but if she has other reasons, they are unclear to me. "And there are good reasons for both of you not to go. I think trying to convince one or the other wouldn't work. So..." I still have my doubts and a feeling that the more "prisoners", the higher the chance something goes wrong, but I reach down my cleavage, pull out the golden coin on a string serving as good luck charm, untie the string and present the coin to my companions.

"How about we let the Lady decide? Heads or tails?"

Conditions and effects:
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:03 am

"Alright," Avreene says while looking oddly smug, "Since I'm clearly the sensible choice, I'll choose heads. That way clearer heads prevail."

Torga actually gets mad at this as she angrily whispers, "Why you arrogant... So I'm the arse then? Fine! Tails!"

You flip the coin into the air so that the goddess of luck may bless it. Fortunately Arara is standing so that the goblin can't see the coin go into the air, as that might tip it off to something. You snatch it from the air before the coin hits the ground, and slap it onto the back of your off hand. Pausing for suspense, you slowly lift your hand to reveal a solemn face on the flat of the coin. Heads!

Avreene smiles at her victory, "It seems even the gods side with me. I'm sorry Torga, but you are just too valuable to let fall into enemy hands."

"Whatever," Torga replies, clearly pouting, "So what's the plan here? I want to get this over with."

"Well..." Seraphina pauses as she thinks, "We should probably stage this at night so that it's believable. Plus, if he thinks he's caught everyone while they were sleeping, then I can probably convince him that he won't need to be too violent lest he wake everyone. If we want to look like we are splitting up, then Torga, Rowan and Arara should probably leave soon so that they don't get caught up in everything. Rowan can probably find a spot for them where they can stay hidden, but still stake out the camp."
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:58 am

Tymora has decided, and I agree with her decision. I would've prefered Avreene with me, but this way, I didn't have to tell Torga she should stay aside. But still, there's something I can hopefully use to soothe her anger at the decision...

"Don't worry, Torga, I'll keep a healing spell ready for your cousin, if he needs it. And look at the bright side... when you come for us, he'll see you as a hero rescuing everyone instead of a prisoner, propably naked, humiliated and molested by goblins."

I also make one last attempt to dissuade Avreene from joining the prisoner team, using the one thing I know she cares about. "Are you prepared for the fact that in addition to whatever they'll do to us personally, they'll also mess with your heirloom? It's too big weapon for a goblin, he may bring it to their leader or try to break it"

I nod when Seraphina explains the plan. That about sums it up, only a few things to add."Look out for a good opportunity to attack... either when they weaken themselves by fighting... if that part of the plan works... or whem most of them falls asleep. We'll try to cause as much chaos as possible, if we can get them fight over us, or at least assassinate their leader, either ourselves or get the goblin to do it for us."

With that, I stand up and loudly proclaim, more for the goblin's benefit than for any of us: "It is settled, then. You three will go to the town and get some help, we'll stay here and watch the camp. We should be able to last for the few days it'll take you to get back, and we'll warn any other travelers of the danger and deal with any goblin patrol we'll find."
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:41 pm

The mention of her axe does shake Avreene's resolve. She tries to think of how to protect her heirloom while avoiding losing the argument. After a few moments, she insists with a grin, "Well then I won't let him get near my axe. If it isn't here to loot, then he can't do anything to it. And come to think of it, you sure are trying to keep everyone else out of this. Why hasn't anyone tried to talk you out of this madness? If you can heal, then shouldn't you stay back for the same reasons that Torga is?"

Before the warrior can go further down that rabbit hole and point out all of the flaws of your argument, you cut her off to address Seraphina. With the last few details in place, you make your anouncement for the goblin to hear. Avreene gives you a look of frustration, but joins in by saying, "Here, I have some sway in Phandalin. Take this axe to show you are my friends, that should get you what you need."

With her axe leaving with the other half of the party, she goes and picks up one of the short swords that one of the dead goblins dropped.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:56 am

It was worth a try, even if it didn't work. There isn't much to do before the others "leave", but I spend some time securing the camp... which mostly include checking if the goblins have anything intersting on them, and in turn keeping an eye on our prisoner and the path leading to the goblin encampment. As we wait for the evening, I mostly leave Seraphina and Avreene do whatever they want, but I do try to find a moment to talk to the warrior in private.

"I understand Torga wanting to do this for her cousin, but what about you? As for me and your question from before, I wouldn't let anyone talk me out of this, I'd rather scrap the plan entirely. It was my idea, and I don't want anyone else to suffer the conseqences, that includes you... that's why I've tried to talk you out of it to the last moment. You don't strike me as the type to do something this... well, you've said it yourself, mad. It may end badly, and it likely won't be fun even if it works. So, if you don't mind me asking, why?" If she doesn't want to share her reasons, I won't pry, though I am curious. If it's just concern for me and Seraphina, I'm truly lucky to have a friend willing to risk so much, though having more people ready to pull our asses out of proverbial fire if needed would serve the same purpose. I can't shake a feeling she's having some ulterior motive.

Conditions and effects:
Phoenixcz

PreviousNext

Return to Private Games