In Her Parent's Footsteps [Phoenixcz]

Forum for publicly viewable but closed-group role-playing.

Re: In Her Parent's Footsteps [Phoenixcz]

Postby Phoenixcz » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:39 pm

I was putting the rest of my food on the ground and standing up, ready to act on Rowan's behalf, if she's not in a state to defend herself, when Seraphina's charge drew my attention. It's surprising to see her be the one to react: she doesn't seem like the type to help someone when there isn't anything in it for her... on the other hand, she did stayed with us back in the cave, when she could've left... her objection that she would be caught later sounds more like excuse. Perhaps her tough attitude is just an act? Or maybe it's personal... as a halfling, she's propably got a reason to hate big people bullying those smaller and weaker than themselves. Today is full of surprises, and not all of them unpleasant.

In any case, I can't let her face the orc alone, even if she certainly drew the attention of every prisoners, and even the nearest guards. I finish my move and run towards the orc before he can stand up. I'm not above kicking the enemy while he's down, but I'm not sure how effective it would be in this case. Instead, I'd better make sure he'll stay down. Or try to, anyway... the orc is still bigger and stronger than myself, even if I have temporary advantage thanks to Seraphina's action.

The chains limit our movement, so if I can keep the orc's arms in check, he'll be more-or-less helpless. I grab his shoulders and rest my knee on his back, putting my weight to use, but I'm aware that it may not be enough... it seems there are situations where my lighter build is a disadvantage.

"Stay down and don't try anything... you've got what you've been asking for."

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Move towards the orc and attempt Grapple to keep him prone. +4 Str (Athletics) modifier.

HP: 10/10
Spell slots: 2/level 1
Other resources: Bardic Inspiration, 3/3. Hit die, 1x1d8
Conditions and effects: Naked
Achievements: One Time at Bandit Camp
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:01 am

You do your best to pin him down and hold onto his arms, but you are not a fighter, and this is an orc. He struggles with you on his back before he screams in anger and forces himself up to his feet, with you tumbling backwards. However, he is aware that he is quickly growing outnumbered in this situation, with you and Seraphina picking a fight, and Avreene and Arara on their way as well. The bully seems to wrestle with himself before spitting out in frustration, "Fine!" He then tries to walk away while pouting, "Shitty food isn't worth it anyways."

Seraphina tries to chase after him, claiming she isn't done with his sorry ass yet, but Rowan grabs her arm and stops her. It's quiet, so you almost miss it, but you think you hear her say thank you. Unfortunately her food was ruined when the orc face planted into the bowl, but at least you know he'll think twice about picking on her. With the briefest hint of a smile on Rowans face, you at least know that you've shown her that you all have her back. Meanwhile, several of the prisoners and a few of the drow guards are laughing at the orc caked in mushroom gruel.

Grapple with advantage:19
Second roll:16
Orc Str vs Grapple: 21
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:12 am

That went... not as I've hoped, but about as I've expected. Good enough. The orc was wise enough to avoid fight when he's clearly outnumbered, and we've shown the others we stick together. It may prevent similar incidents in the future. I check the other "big" prisoners to make sure none of them wants to try succeed where the orc failed, but it seems all of them are content with laughing at his misfortune. Good, looks like there won't be more troubles for now.

I wonder if Seraphina hates bullies so much, or if she did it for Rowan. I'll see, I guess. My "food" is still fine, and I'll gladly share it with Rowan... and not just because it's an excuse to avoid eating all of it, I'd do it even if it was more edible. If I'd acted faster, perhaps I could've saved her portion... but propably not. My plan was about the same as Seraphina's, only I've wanted to taunt and bait the orc into making the first move.

For now, I turn towards the halfling and smile at her. "That was awesome! Are you all right? I know you're tough, but halflings aren't as thick-skulled as dwarves, and that was some impact." That... sounded vaguely insulting. I hope Torga and Eldeth haven't overheard that comment, or they won't take it personally.

Conditions and effects: Naked, restrained (full movement speed)
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:57 am

While not the most dignified victory, a win is still a win. Your group gathers around and makes sure that the three of you are all right. With any luck, this will keep all but organized groups or the drow away from you if they bare you any ill will. That means you should be relatively safe as long as your group doesn't make too many enemies. Out of the corner of your eye, you see Jimjar collect something from one of the other prisoners. Some type of dwarf with grey skin and wild hair. Finally, everyone else in the group shares a bite out of their gruel to help feed Rowan without anyone else going too hungry as a result.

You turn to the rage filled half-pint and praise her for her violence. If the dwarves find your remark insulting, they don't show it. She seems to revel in the praise with a goofy smile that fits most halflings, but admittedly is a first that you've seen on her. She boasts about her might and jokes that if anyone wants to bow before her might, she wouldn't mind a change of view for once. However, she starts to go quiet and deflect when questions turn to why she did it. (Insight 12) You try to read her face, but it doesn't seem like her silence is motivated by anything dark or traumatizing in her past. Rather, and you find this hard to believe, but you think she might not be answering because she's shy about the subject.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:04 am

I'm glad to see our little group standing by each other. It makes me feel worse for getting the girls into this mess again, but it also gives me hope we'll find a way out of this. I notice Jimjar's action and remember his bet offer from when we've met. Was he betting on the outcome of this fight? If so, I'm not sure what to think about that. This isn't really a place for such behavior, but everyone's got their vice, and prisons propably don't have many way to entertain yourself unless you're guard. I don't bother Seraphina with questions she seems unwilling to answer, and instead address the whole group, discreetely, if possible, to avoid prying ears: "I'm not sure how far would our captors allow any violence to go, but I think it will be better if we stay together and keep someone on watch when we go to sleep." There's no good way to measure time here and I don't know how long will the drow let us sleep, so the shift length will be unfair, but there's nothing we can do about that. But my magic energy is replenished and I can't use magic here anyway, so I wouldn't mind taking more than my fair share. And it would keep me from having more weird dreams I would remember after I woke up.

Not that I've minded last time.

I also need to talk to Arara and Torga. "I've tried to use my magic to change the taste of that wondrous meal we've got, but it didn't worked. But Stool's spores most certainly did, and I think that had to be magical too... got any idea about that?"

Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:19 pm

"About that," Arara interjects, "Stool is a Myconid. I didn't read too much about them, but I believe the telepathic effect is based of psyonics, and not magic. It is likely just a biological effect from breathing in it's spores. It will probably wear off in an hour or so, but I doubt it will have any side effects beyond our simple lack of control."

Everyone goes silent for a moment, as if to mourn the loss of their remaining dignity at the hands of the recent fiasco. But it doesn't last long as everyone is starting to feel the wear of their long trek to the camp. It's difficult to tell what time it is but, at least for your party, it is time for sleep. Since you are willing to keep watch, you are nominated to go first and warn anyone if something starts to happen. They secure a spot to lay down and try their best to get comfortable on the cold stone ground. It feels even more jarring against everyone's bare skin, and is quite miserable all around.

While you keep watch, most of the other prisoners start settling in as well. Maybe your group was more sensitive to the time than you thought? Or perhaps the others just decided that rest was a good thing after watching you. One of the prisoners do approach you. It seems to be a male dwarf of some sort, though is skin is gray and his hair and beard are wild and unkempt. Seeing you on edge, his holds his hands up to show he means no harm. Then he starts babbling at you, in what you recognize as undercommon.

"Greetings friend," he says with a dissarming smile, "My name is Buppido. I suppose it is regretful that I must welcome you to our humble camp. It isn't much, but I suppose one can't complain when we are given so little to work with. And please excuse Ront. He tries to show that he is tough, but amounts to little more than a bully. Please don't think poorly of the rest of us due to his bad example."
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:22 am

I don't press the issue of the antimagic, as it's doubtful we could do anything about it. And I've warned our spellcasters, so they won't be surprised by it. And for the spores... they could be useful tool, but we would need to learn to use them and learn its limit, and I doubt any of us is interested in that now. And I'm not sure how I'd feel about the idea of (ab?)using Stool's ability to our advantage... the little guy is quite endearing in his... its?... innocence.

I'll gladly take the first watch, even though I'm also tired. I don't know how much time to rest we'll get, and have no means of timekeeping, but I'll think to keep the length of my watch fair. I think I'll wake Arara next. Elves don't really sleep and require less time to rest, something that regretably isn't a part of my elven heritage. There was a lot of times I'd welcome that ability.

When the dwarf... a duergar, I think, judging by his skin color...makes his way to our group, I watch him suspiciously, but nod at him when he shows his peaceful intentions. When he starts talking, I shush him to keep his voice down to not disturb my sleeping friends. I can understand his words, but it puts me in a hard position. It is the language of the Underdark, and I've planned to keep my knowledge of it secret, in hope our captors may talk more freely amongst themselves if they'd believed we can't understand them, perhaps letting some useful information slip. But I don't want to offend fellow prisoner by pretending I don't understand him if we could use his help to escape.

I choose a compromise. "Ah, sorry... do you speak surface language? [elven] <Or elven, that would be good too.>" I keep my voice low, to avoid waking the others. If he responds, good, if not, I guess I'll have to resort to Undercommon after all. "I'm Lina. In different circumstances, I'd say it's a pleasure, but here, it's really not. But I can hardly blame you or any other roommate for that, can I? And don't worry about the incident earlier, others have proven themselves more civil company, so I won't judge you for one bad example."

Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:51 pm

You reply to the odd deep dwarf, but endeavor to keep your knowledge of undercommon a secret for now. Starting first with common, then with elvish, you try to establish another connection of communication. However, both times seem to fail, as he understands neither. Buppido frowns and replies in a strange language as well. It takes you a moment, but you recognize it as dwarvish. Not out of place. Unfortunately it all sounds like gibberish to you.

"Hmm," Buppido scowls while commenting to himself in undercommon once more, "It looks like we won't be able to talk normally. Pity. I was hoping to find a new person to converse with. It does get boring waiting around, but I suppose that's just what my destiny has in store for me. Ah well, I'm sure I'll be seeing adventure soon."

He looks over toward your sleeping companions and smiles, "Perhaps one of them would be able to indulge me when they wake."

The peculiar dwarf then turns his smile to you, bows his head, and starts to wander off. In the mean time (perception 20) you notice that someone has been eaves dropping on your conversation already. The big furry monster that you have been imprisoned with seems to have perked up when he hears you talking. You make a mental note of that before stopping the dwarf from leaving. (Performance 12) You reveal that you understand undercommon, but play up your flaws and mistakes to give the illusion of less fluency than you have. You believe yourself to be fairly convincing. He seems elated to find out that he can communicate, his smile never once leaving his face.

"Aha," he grins, "I'm glad to hear that you consider us so hospitable, all things considered. It's a pleasure to meet you Ms. Lina." He takes one of your hands and kisses it like a gentleman before continuing, "If you have any questions, please feel free to call upon me. As a hero, I would be remiss if I didn't come to the aid of a lady in need."
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:21 am

Interesting. Is the furball spying on us? That wouldn't be surprising... others of his kind are serving the drow, and while it's possible he did something to deserve being thrown with the rest of the prisoners, he may also be there to keep an eye on the other prisoners. I'm not sure how smart he is, but the animalistic look would get me to underestimate his intelligence. Better to be careful around him. He looks more dangerous than the orc, even if he isn't serving the drow... but that could also make him a great asset if he's not on their side.

I'm taken aback a little by the grey dwarf's politeness. I wouldn't expect something like that here, but then, I clearly have some misconceptions about how things work here in the Underdark. And I do need more informations... "Thanks, I appreciate that. I do have a lot of questions. We've been caught on the surface and as far as I know, none of us is familiar with this place. Where we are, who are our drow captors and what are they planning to do with us, how things work in here, even basic knowledge about Underdark, like what the drow's furry minions are, what's else is around. Surface stories apparently aren't very reliable source of informations."

I avoid mentioning anything about an escape, for now, I really do need even basic information to start thinking about escape plan. It would be better if the others heard it too, but this way, they'll get some sleep, my watch will be less boring, and I can tell them everything when they wake up.

Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:19 pm

"Furry minions?" he asks in confusion, before his grin returns once more, "Ah, you must mean the quaggoths. I wouldn't really classify them as underlings. They are really more like trained beasts in this case. Usually they are pretty feral, though it seems that priestess Ilvara has had some success in taming them. Still, I would be careful about picking a fight with one. They could easily tear your arms out if they get upset, and the drow are fine with keeping us as slaves only as long as we aren't more trouble than we are worth.

As to who our captors are and what they want with us? They are drow raiders. They often make trips to the surface in order to steal supplies and capture slaves. It's as much a status symbol as it is a way of hurting those they deem inferior. That would be just about everyone, by the way. Here at the camp, they will be putting us to labor, attempting to break our spirits, and occasionally one or two of use get pulled away to be trained. In anywhere between a few days and a couple weeks, a caravan will arrive to take us and what ever loot the drow were able to obtain back to Menzoberranzan to be sold off. After that, your guess is as good as mine. The drow tend to be as frivolous as other fae, but with a sadistic streak. So we may be servants or permanent labor, but we may also be ornaments and living furniture. It depends on the person that ends up buying us.

As for the rest of the underdark, I'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have."

He seems rather calm considering some of the dark things he just said. Additionally, he may have said those things about quaggoths, as he called them, but the one in the corner clearly isn't like that. He is at least smart enough to understand you, so who knows how smart the beast actually is.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:56 am

Not gnolls, then. I've never heard of quaggoths. Obviously, they present an obstacle to any escape plan, and if they are bestial and stupid, some tricks may or may not work on them differently than they would on humans. Though the one here in prison doesn't look very feral... perhaps Buppido is prejudiced against them and they are smarter than they look. Or he may be an exception. Either way, after the dwarf's warning, I'm not very eager to go talk to him and potentially provoke him. But I'll keep an eye on him, certainly.

As for the drow, that's about what I expected. "Few days or couple weeks" doesn't sound very precise, but then, Buppido wouldn't have a way to know how long until the caravan shows up. But it means we may not have time for some slow escape plan. And while the drow are known slavers, I know they especially hate elves... they may decide they'll use Arara and me as sacrifices to their spider goddess instead of selling us. Not an encouraging thought.

But I do have more questions. "Well, about Underdark... are there any settlements, cities, or something like that nearby? Any hope someone more agreeable than the drow shows up to deal with this place? Or even other drow... if they start fighting amongst themselves, perhaps we would get a chance to escape." Most of the prisoners are locals, obviously, but there's a few of them, and it's a strange mix of different races, so they propably weren't captured in a raid on some settlement. But if they are random travelers caught by the drow, they had to come from somewhere... perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think Underdark is a kind of place where someone would travel long distances alone or in small group.

Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:34 am

"Hmm..." He ponders, "Well there are a few places, I suppose. I'm from Grackltugh. Not very welcoming to strangers though. Still, the duergar are willing to at least put up with other races, and the slavers are far more practical and less sadistic. So that's at least a step up. And they hate the drow. After that, I would say that Mantol-Derith is the next closest town. Well, trade post. It isn't very large, but it is a neutral ground for all of us down here. Farther still would be Blingdenstone. That would be the home of the deep gnomes. It may be far, but it's probably the friendliest to you surfacers."

He seems interested when you ask about a rescue. "Why?" he asks, "Are you expecting someone?"
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:19 am

"Expecting? No, not really." The only two people that knew where we've been going and what happened to us are long dead by now. There are the goblinoids who sold us to the drow, of course, but those don't count. "Hoping for? Sure. Hope dies last, and all that. I don't want to spend the rest of my propably short life as a slave to the drow, but any escape seems very unlikely without some external help. It doesn't need to be specifically to help us... I'm willing to take any chance that offers itself. It can hardly get worse than this, can it?" While I'm not revealing we'll try to come up with some escape plan regardless, by talking about possibilites, I'm testing the waters a bit. If there will be an escape, we'll need the help of other prisoners. I think we can count with Eldeth, maybe Jimjar, though I don't know if he'll be any help. I don't want to put Stool at risk, but his spores could come in handy, if we can manage to avoid an incident like earlier. The orc, quaggoth and the drow seem most physically capable out of the prisoners, but I don't think getting them to cooperate will be easy, or even possible. As for the others, including Buppido himself, I have no idea.

We'll need to observe the drow and their quaggoth servants to see if there's any weakness in their security. This place is unfortunately well-protected by its position, the lift seems like the only way down... besides the quicker and more direct way, and next to impossible to use. We'll need to get out of the prison first, of course, before we can even think about escaping the outpost itself. And we'll need to get our hands on some weapons. Even if fighting the drow would be foolhardy, the Underdark is too dangerous to wander through unarmed. Preferably all of our gear, but that seems unlikely.

Should I be even thinking about this? Considering the disaster that was my last plan, I'm not sure if the others will trust me to come up with something. Hells, I don't trust myself to come up with something.

"Thanks. Even if that knowledge ends up being useless, you've at least satisfied my curiosity. I... don't think I have any more questions, for now, anyway.

Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:55 pm

"Well I'm sure something will happen," Buppido says with confidence, "I'm not sure what, but I don't intend to die here." With nothing more to talk about, Buppido shrugs and bids you a good night. The quaggoth that was watching you also moves off to his own portion of the cell, now that your conversation has ended. Nothing else occurs during your watch. You wake Arara for her shift, and go on to get some sleep yourself. However, your rest itself is not so calm. Visions of shadows bound and flicker from your thoughts, dancing on the walls of your inner mind. They reach for you, clawing and thrashing, as you try to flee. The walls of the maze you find yourself trapped in begin to close in, and soon you are crushed and entombed. But then the walls begin to crack, and you emerge as a fly from its egg. The smell of rotting meat draws you forward, but oily tentacles reach up from the abyss below and try to grasp at you. A primal howl echoes in the inky blackness. Fear overtakes you, but you fly into a space where your friends are, and you feel safe. However, one by one, they each start to warp and pervert until they become inhuman caricatures of what they once were. As their twisted bodies wriggle and writhe together, you find yourself envious of what used to be your friends. Then you start to feel your body shift. You look down as your once human body begins to corrupt, and you feel a perverse joy as your very soul slips away.

You awaken in a cold sweat. As your eyes readjust to the dim light provided in your cell, the shadows on the wall quickly remind you of the nightmare you just had. It takes you a moment to calm down. When you do, you notice Arara standing over Torga with a worried look upon her face. Torga tosses and turns in her sleep, as fear and discomfort adorn her face. Finally, she screams herself awake before realizing it was just a dream. This awakens everyone else in the cell. Your friends look worried, but the rest of the prisoners chalk it up to a first night in captivity. Still, you can't help but feel like this was an omen of something worse lurking in the underdark.

----------

The next morning, all of the prisoners are lined up in the cell. The drow with the burned face looks at everyone. After sizing everyone up, she addresses the crown. "Alright," he shouts, "These are everyone's assignments for the day. You lot will be on laundry duty. We have new prisoners, and I'd rather not be forced to stare at their naked bodies all day. Next, you five will be gathering water. Finally, you five will be taken to stack rocks."

In respective order, the first group concists of Avreene, Seraphina, Eldith, Buppido and Shuushar. The second group gets Torga, Rowan, the quaggoth, Jimjar and one of the other deep gnomes. The last group claims you, the orc, stool, the drow prisoner, and the remaining deep gnome. Noticing the mathematical discrepancy, Arara meekly asks, "Umm... and me?"

The drow scowls at her in disgust, "Priestess Ilvara has decided to care for you personally today, surface elf." He practically spits those words as several guards funnel in to escort the prisoners to their stations. The scarred drow grabs Arara by the arm and starts to drag her away.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:48 am

That dream sounds disturbing. Great work!

I panic when I wake up from my nightmare, scrambling for a weapon before I realize where I am. It's not my first bad dream since our capture, but it's definitely the weirdest. More goblin rape or the torture at the drows' hands, sure, but this? And it was so vivid. But it seems I'm not the only one. I join Arara in watching over Torga, and I consider if I should wake the dwarf, but before I decide to act, Torga wakes on her own, startling me with her scream. I'm at her side, trying to calm her down and reassure her everything is fine, but my own words sounds hollow to me, and not just because our imprisonment. I can't shake a feeling something sinister is going on, and when I look at the mark at Torga's breasts, can't but wonder if I'm somehow responsible, even if I'm not sure what for.

When the drow arrives to put us to work, I feel a bit relieved, as work, even hard work, sounds better than some alternatives, until Arara points out she wasn't assigned to any job. When the drow explains, I can only shudder at imagining what the priestess' "personal care" could entail. I almost intervene, but stop myself in time as I realize that at best, I would be taken instead of... or alongide to... the wizard, and at worst, won't achieve anything besides getting punished. I merely glare helplessly as the drow takes her away from the rest of us. As I'm led towards my own job, I have to worry about Arara's fate in addition to all the other problems occupying my mind. I hope I'll see her again, alive and not seriously hurt.

Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:21 am

Thanks. I might know know my ass from Sunday when it comes to DMing half the time, but I do know my horror.

You are taken away to the elevator and down to the floor below. From there, your group of prisoners is lead to a large pile of rocks. From that point on, your task is rather pointless. Rather than try to build anything useful out of them, you are tasked with simply picking up these heavy rocks, some as large as 2ft in diameter, and move them from one spot to another. You are ordered to stack them perfectly, a request that seems arbitrary and judged solely on the whims of the guards. Once done, you are ordered to move them back to where they were and stack them there. This is to continue until everyone is exhausted. The rocks are heavy, but you manage to just fine. The only one that really has problems out of the five of you is Stool, whom of which is lacking in arms. The drow jeer and taunt him as he tries his best to roll the rocks instead, and constantly kicking him when he moves to slow. Likewise, the drow have taken to bullying you and the drow prisoner as well. Every time you start to build up your stacks, they knock them over and say they weren't good enough. All and all, it is a miserable experience.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:04 pm

Now that I've had some time to think about an escape plan, I try to pay some attention to my surroundings, especially the elevator, or any other potential way down from the outpost. It's not like I have anything better to focus on. The work is completely pointless. I wonder if the drow make us do it just for their amusement, or if there's any actual purpose, like keeping us exhausted to stop us from causing trouble. After a while, it doesn't matter. Lift a rock, haul it to the pile, drop it there, rinse and repeat. It doesn't even seem to matter how well I stack them, the drow will keep bothering me anyway. I try to help Stool with his own work, if possible, but I don't think it's worth trouble with the guards... I have to restrain myself from giving them a piece of my mind about this stupid, pointless excercise already, no need to push it further.

Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:07 pm

The drow don't stop bullying either of you, but they don't really seem to care that you help the young shroom, aside of a few extra taunts. Stool spores and lets you know that he his very thankful, then proceeds to chat away about various things, while asking you questions about the surface once more. You find that when you are expecting it, it is far easier to control your thoughts than before. The orc glares at you the entire time, but otherwise doesn't make a move against you. After what seems like a lifetime of tedious work, the drow call out and say it's time to go back. They gather everyone into a line, and march them back to the elevator. On your way back up, you look around. The elevator seems to be the only safe way down, but you do catch sight of giant spiderwebs residing under the two spires. They would most definitely be dangerous, but they may be another option for climbing down. Having gotten a better look at both the top and bottom of the lift, you notice that there is only one place that it operates from. There is a drow working the only controls. The lift would be the safest way down, but it is slow and would require a person to stay behind. You keep an eye out for more options.

Your group is the last to get back to the pen. You see your group talking when you come in. They are all dressed now in tattered rages, and Avreene tosses a set to you as well. Oddly enough, you see the quaggoth has joined your group, and is sitting next to Rowan. Everyone else is uncomfortable around him, but she seems just fine. Indeed, the only one that seems to be missing is Arara, whom still hasn't come back from wherever the drow took her.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:30 am

I answer Stool's question as best as I can while using the opportunity to try to control the telepathic communication. Noticing it's easier when I'm ready for it and can focus on sharing only what I want to, I get an idea and ask the myconid if he could produce the spores in a more discrete manner... a pinch, or however much would be needed for just two people instead of the big cloud. I don't want him to do right now, but I think some experimentation is in order. I'm not convinced that breathing in the spores is entirely healthy, and I do have a baseless, yet nagging suspicion that it may be somehow linked to the bad dreams we've had. But the ability to set up secret and private communication could be very useful, I wonder about the range...though I likely won't get a chance to test that in the prison... and if the spores need to include Stool in the "conversation". Not that I distrust him, but I'm sure the other girls would rather train the use of the spores in private, to avoid the repeat of yesterday's incident.

As for the orc... Ront, I think? Or something like that. I've got enough to deal with even without him, so I don't pay him much mind. He can't do anything here, and I'm confident the result will be same as yesterday if he tries something in the prison.

When the work is finally over, I'm so tired I don't bother coming up with any other plans. I just want to get back to the cell and get some rest. I do remember I've wanted to look for other ways from the outpost, and the webs look promising, but that's about all I care about.

Back in the cell, I accept the clothes and put them on as best as I can with my restraints. My own nudity doesn't bother me anymore in itself, but wearing something would be slightly more comfortable than sleeping naked on the bare rock. Slightly. I'm alarmed when I notice Arara's continued absence. We've been working for hours... surely she should've been back here. A dreadful thought that she could've been killed crosses my mind, but I try to banish it. I don't want another death weighting down my conscience... she wouldn't be here without me. I'm not entirely successful with that, so I'm grateful there's something to distract me from Arara's fate. I turn towards Rowan and the quaggoth, force myself to smile and ask: "Making new friends?"

Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:46 am

Stool's does his best to explain how his spores work, but his thoughts sound confused and frustrated as he tries to put them into words another species would understand, even when he himself isn't old or educated enough to understand the details himself. "I don't think I can do any less," he admits, "It all kind of just builds up and releases at once. I mean, some of the adults might be able to, but I don't think there has ever been a reason to try before." When you ask him about if he needs to be part of the conversation, he nods (or more bows, you guess, since he doesn't have a neck) and says, "Yeah. There isn't really a way around it. It isn't like I just make people think to each other. More like... I hear what people think, and then people hear what I hear? It kinda goes through me first."

Back at the cell, you get dressed. One of the guards unlocks the chains on your wrists and feet to do this, but not without at least two crossbows trained on you the entire time. The effect of Alara still being missing fills your head with red flags, so you decide to distract yourself with the furry teal elephant in the room.

"Well, I've been a bit curious about him since we got here," Rowan explains, "There were a bunch of creatures just like him that were already slaves and guards for the drow, right? So I wondered why this one was a prisoner like us instead. I approached him cautiously, but still caught his attention. I don't think he was expecting me to understand him, but he snarled at me in elven to leave him alone. So of course I started trying to have a conversation with him to satisfy my curiosity."

At this point, she looks at the quaggoth and pats his arm. Recognizing his cue, the monster extends his hand delicately and begins speaking in the most posh and regal elven accent you have ever heard. "Yes, well... It is a pleasure to meet you, Miss Lina. My name is Derendil, elven prince of Evermeet."
devilbird

PreviousNext

Return to Private Games