In Her Parent's Footsteps [Phoenixcz]

Forum for publicly viewable but closed-group role-playing.

In Her Parent's Footsteps [Phoenixcz]

Postby devilbird » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Character

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1407502

Name: Lina Danelis
Description: The most obvious sigh of Lina's elven heritage are her slightly pointed ears, but those are usually hidden by her hair. Rest of it mostly serves to confuse humans about her true age. She's short and lean, and (together with lack of bodily hair most people won't find out about) overall looks younger than she really is. Elves would have less of an problem. Thanks to the amount of physical activity she gets, her body is decently toned. Her breasts would be average for an elf, a bit smaller than average for a human. Her face looks human, lacks elven angular features. She has green eyes and long red hair, usually worn in a single ponytail, with headband to keep the rest of it away from her eyes.
Background: Lina's parents were adventurers, a human and an elf woman, who got close during their travels. For a time, they continued adventuring even after their daughter was born, though they were more careful. When Lina was 5, they left her with an aquitance to take care of her while they fought against a dangerous foe. However, the village they left Lina in was attacked by raiders, and while she was unharmed, the attack caused led to multiple deaths, including her caretaker. Lina was taken by one of the survivors, and never saw her parents since, or even found out if they're still alive.
Lina grew up with foster parents, who owned traveler's inn. When she was old enough, she started to help in the inn to earn her keep, and met adventurers who frequented the place. She loved listening to their tales. That's how she learned about her parents' adventures. None of the visitors knew if they are still alive, but hearing the stories made Lina wish to become an adventure herself. She started learning from the visitors, a bit of swordsmanship from a warrior, stealth and lockpicking from a rogue, some obscure lore and even some magic from a wizard, archery and wilderness survival from a ranger... She's obviously not as good as any of them, but she has learned a bit of everything, giving her great versatility at the cost of true mastery. Though she likes telling the stories of heroes and villains, and learned music to entertain the guests (along with... other ways... to entertain some of them, when she was old enough), she wouldn't call herself a bard: she's simply an adventurer.
She would've ran after some adventure that would get her killed years ago, but her foster parents convinced her to wait until she's more capable, and until she makes enough money to buy herself some proper equipment. That time is now, and Lina is on the road, with a heavy pack, trusted sword, and the hope she'll meet her true parents, or that she'll at least follow in their footsteps. She's had some "adventures" already, including obligatory rat cleaning quest, fighting orcs (if you can call smashing one over the head with a chair in a tavern brawl a fight) and other heroic deeds, her true adventure just awaits her..

Allies

After a couple of weeks traveling the Sword Coast, finding work and adventure where you could, your travels finally lead you to the City of Neverwinter. While not a bad place to live by any stretch of the imagination, this city has had its share of trouble through out history. Dragons, volcanoes and the spellplague have all left it's mark upon Neverwinter, and yet here it stands. A beacon to adventurers such as yourself. Surely if you wanted to meet your destiny, this place was the place to start. Indeed, not to long after entering the gates and asking around, you hear that a dwarf by the name of Gundren Rockseeker has been asking for the aid of adventurers to help him in a little business venture. No one is able to tell you much more than his name, that he's planning a trip to Phandalin, and the tavern he is staying at. Apparently he's been super secretive of this job of his. But to you; secrets sound like mystery, mystery sounds like adventure, and that sure as hell sounds like a story worth telling.

You make your way to a tavern by the port called The Angry Barnacle. You are sure there has to be a story behind that name, but it will have to be a story for another time. You enter the door and peer inside. You aren't sure how, with the busted windows and the hole in the ceiling, how the place managed to be this dark inside. The amalgamation of different odors make your hairs stand on end. Various stains coat the floor, walls and a little bit of the ceiling. Maybe the inn you grew up in spoiled you, but this place ought to be condemned. Not surprisingly, there aren't a lot of people here. Most are dock workers that have wandered in simply because this was the closest place to get a drink. Some sip down their drinks while one at the table you are standing next to is completely passed out drunk. However, there are a few people that stand out.

Over by the bar is a tall, dark skinned woman dressed in garb far too fancy for a place like this. Over her clothes, she is wearing chainmail, which you know can be pretty expensive as well. Strapped to her back is a large, ornate greataxe. The lady is chatting up the bartender and seems friendly enough. However, a drunk tries to make his way over to order another drink, stumbles and knocks into the axe. She quickly spins around and slugs the man in the face, sending him sprawling over the floor.

"Let that be a warning to you, you drunken cur," she yells at the poor, unconscious drunk, "Don't. Touch. My. Axe."

Of in one odd corner of the rundown tavern is another woman. Unlike the previous woman, this one makes no attempt to seem refined. The lady looks and sounds like she is from the country side. She and several patrons are laughing over past exploits. She regales the story about how she saved some of the dockworkers here from a cruel taskmaster, and how she is destined for great things. A couple of them seem to remember this, and they hold her in high regard, try to explain that she might be getting too far ahead of herself. She, in turn, claims that she is a mighty hero and one that everyone deserves. The drunks agree on the last part and toast their friend.

One strange sight you see is a heavily armored female dwarf talking to what looks to be an elven priestess. Both manage to stand out on their own, as the dwarf seems to be a mercenary of some sort, and the elf is completely decked out in tattoos. Not only do they seem to be getting along rather well, but they are also some of the quietest patrons of the tavern. They seem to shy away from any of the dock workers that wander by, and only resume their conversation once they leave. Beyond that though, no one seems to be bothering them.

While gazing about, you realize that there is a strange noise coming from nearby. You look about trying to find out what it is when you realize that it is coming from the table next to you. The drunk is still passed out, but seems to be shifting around slightly. He starts to moan a little before spasming. Finally he goes limp. You're worried for a second until you realize that he's fine. You can hear his snoring. Something shifts underneath the table, and out crawls a halfling woman. She stands up, notices you, and smiles. You can clearly see jizz coating her face.

"Hey cutie," she says to you as she licks some sperm off her lips, "Want me to do you next? Bet the pair of us get a lot of action in this place."
devilbird

Re: In Her Parent's Footsteps [Phoenixcz]

Postby Phoenixcz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:10 pm

Ah, Neverwinter. Even though it's not the biggest, or the wealthiest city on the Sword Coast, it's certainly the most famous. I've heard lot of stories about adventures that started here, or involved the city, which has a bit of disadvantage: it would be harder to stand out amongst all of them. Still, there's a better chance to find some great adventure in Neverwinter than in any random village along the road, or at least adventure that isn't "protect us from bandits/orcs/zombies/cultists/whatever". And, though I wouldn't admit it out loud, I liked the comforts of the inn more than sleeping in bushes, trodding through mud, and all those natural parts of adventurer's life that don't make their way into stories. Besides, while my magic is enough to keep me clean, there's something to say about nice, hot bath.

Neverwinter itself is bigger than any city I've seen in my life. I'm not a country bumpkin who's never seen more than five houses at one place, but I'm still awed somewhat by it, even thought it looks a little... neglected... in some places. Like the tavern I'm visiting to meet potential employer... or quest giver, if I wanted to be fancier. That one is outright dump. I wouldn't be staying here, even if they offered lodgings and not just drinks. But if that's where the dwarf wants to meet, that's where I'll go. Hopefully this isn't the best establishment he can afford to visit. It also doesn't look like much of a place to earn something by telling stories, so I'll have to look for something better later.

The clients are about as expected, but the women are out of place. Are they also adventurers looking for a job? Wow... competition here is heavier than I thought. They all look capable enough too. Depending on the work, it may be better to join forces than to compete with each another, but I'll see when I learn what the work is in the first place. I'll make mental notes of my first impressions: Do not mess with the warrior woman, talk with the heroine, she seems like a kindred soul, find out more about the dwarf and the elf.

Before I can react to the events at the nearby table, the halfling takes me by surprise. Another adventurer, regular patron, or part of the service here? "Cutie"? To be fair, she looks cute herself, even though halflings aren't my usual fare, and a little relaxation after my journey would be pleasant... I blush a little at her straightforwardness, athough I was in her place before, there was usually lot of flirting involved before things got further. "Not... right now, I'll be waiting here for someone, and I want to rest a bit first. But perhaps you'd like to keep me a company? I'm new to the city and I'd like to hear more about it from a local. And everyone else seems to be already busy." I take off my heavy backpack and take a seat at the nearest table, either an empty one or the one with the passed out patron if there are more than one chair, putting the backpack on the ground in the arm's reach, leaning it against table's leg.
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:05 am

"You wanna talk instead?" she asks as she sits down as well, leaning back and using the drunkard's lap as a foot rest, "Eh sure, I can do that too. Gotta tell ya though, I ain't really a local either. I only got to town a couple days ago myself. I needed some cash, and heard about a dwarf with a job. I'm guessing that's who you're lookin' for as well? I'm not surprised. Unless you're a dock worker, there's really only one reason to hit up this dump."

The halfling reaches over and grab's the drunk's unfinished mug and starts to chug it down. You notice that mention of the dwarf seems to caught the attention of the other women in the pub. Each of them drop what they are doing and make their way over to your table.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:57 am

"Couple days? Still better than me. I've been here for what, two hours? First chance to sit since I've arrived. I'm Lina, by the way. And yeah, I'm looking for the same dwarf. Though I must say his choice of meeting place doesn't really fills me with high expectations for his offer." So the halfling is another adventurer, not what passes for entertainment here. A little surprising, but I've long since found out that all sorts of people fit under the label of "adventurer". I watch her with a fascination. She's surely audacious. I hope we'll end up working together, it looks like it wouldn't be boring.

As the other women starts approaching my table, I'll take another look at them. Seems like they are really interested in the dwarf's offer, if mere mention of him can draw them away from their conversations. I hope they aren't too competitive. "More adventurers looking for work, I presume? I hope we'll all be willing to cooperate instead of competing with each other. I'm Lina Danelis, traveling adventurer and great hero. But I'm sure you've already heard of my exploits." I accompany the last sentence with a smile. Not much fame for me so far, I hope this job will change that, whatever it is.
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:28 pm

"I wouldn't be to harsh on this place, my fair lady," says the fancy looking lady with the greataxe, "Murdock over there has been a perfect gentleman during our conversation. It wasn't his fault his establishment was trashed. All that lost heir nonsense not too long ago left a lot of Neverwinter in shambles. My name is Avreene Amblecrown. It is a pleasure to meet you."

She reaches out her hand in greeting. It surprises you to hear her speak so eloquently, considering she just flattened a guy for bumping into her. (History Check 17 vs DC 15) When she mentions her name, you actually recognise it. Several knights and nobles have passed through your inn that have mentioned being friends with that family. You've heard they've hit hard times since Mount Hotenow erupted years ago.

"Hey, a dump's a dump," replies the halfling. She repositions herself upon the drunkard's lap to use him as a booster seat. She stares unflinchingly at the scary noble lady and concludes, "Doesn't matter how it got that way if the result's the same."

"I dunno," chimes in the rowdy heroine, "If you can get drunk and have a good time, then I say the dwarf picked as good a bar as any. Speaking of which, anyone know what this is all about?"

The elf priestess speaks up, "Ah, well... I was actually discussing this with Ms. Goblinbane here. It turns out that this Gandeln person is a relative of hers."

"Gundren," the dwarf woman corrects, "and aye, he's me cousin. Unfortunately, he hasn't told me much. Just that he and his brothers have found something big. I was hoping to find out more."

"Well if we are all looking to be under Mr. Rockseeker's employ, perhaps we should all introduce ourselves properly? The same way Ms. Amblecrown and Ms. Danelis have?" suggests the elf.

One by one, the resto fo the women introduce themselves. The first to go is the elven priestess named Arara Mystralath. She explains that she is actually a wizard of some skill, not a priestess at all. Still, she has somewhat of a religious background. Her robes are proof that she is a disciple of Oghma, the god of knowledge. You also note that she can be a bit abrasive as she talks about how that means she pursues knowledge relentlessly, and how that means you can rely on her to know things when you inevitably don't.

The actual cleric turns out to be Torga Goblinbane, the dwarf. She is a devout follower of Marthammor Duin, (Religion 20 vs DC 10) which you know to be the dwarven god of wanderers, travelers and outcasts. Torga's eyes light up when you recognize her god, as most non-dwarves don't care about the dwarven gods. She shows off the holy symbol on her necklace, an iron boot overlayed with a mace, and mentions that she was compelled to train as a Mintarn soldier for awhile. When she got to Neverwinter, however, all she found was that the group abused their power. She was so disgusted whit how they bullied the people they were supposed to protect, that she quit on the spot. That's when she heard news that her cousin was here and looking for people.

Avreene reveals what you already knew about her, that she is a noble of Neverwinter, though that's just a title since the eruption destroyed her home. You chat with her a bit about the people that visited your inn. She recognises a few names, but none that she has ever met in person. Her parents were the socialites, not her. Not much call to rub elbows with a noble that owns no land. Her axe is her only remaining hearloom. She gets a bit touchy when it comes to it, and apologizes for her earlier outburst.

The halfling calls on going next, but Arara insists that she clean her face before she talks anymore. The Halfling woman, which you come to learn is named Seraphina Honeypot, does what the elf asks. She doesn't go much into what she does, but insists that she is a fun loving and free spirited adventurer. (Insight 9 vs DC 10) Between all of the jokes and sexual innuendo, you feel like she hints at something darker about her past, but you aren't able to figure out what that is. She ends her introduction by stating that she likes things dirty, but her name is not to be used as a sex joke. It's gotten old real fast, and she considered it a deal breaker.

That just leaves the energetic adventurer. Her name is Rowan Tallstag, and she intends to make it a name known throughout the Sword Coast. She tells you the same tale that you heard her reciting when you walked in. Hearing the full thing, it sounds like all she did was get some guy to stop bullying his workers. Not really a tale for the ages, and she agrees. She plans on using this excursion to show that she is the hero she believes herself to be.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:16 pm

After they introduced themselves, I think these women sounds like good bunch. Obviously, I have more in common with some than with the others: It doesn't looks like I have much in common with either the wizard or the priestess, and both dwarves and elves are known for making friends slowly. Perhaps in time, if we'll travel together for long enough.

While Avreene doesn't go into details of her motivation to become an adventurer, I can make a guess: proving herself and restoring her family fortune. I can understand that: her familly has fallen on hard times, while mine... are my parents even still alive? Would we recognize each other if we ever met? Isn't my own decision to become an adventurer an effort to find them? And she seems nicer than the initial impression would indicate. I hope that, if I've guessed right, she'll get lucky and succeeds in her quest.

Seraphina Honeypot. Honeypot. Is she serious? I stop myself from asking that question out loud. It's understandable she's sensitive about her name, but then perhaps she should reconsider her behavior. But who am I to give her such advice? We've just met, and I know how much *I* hate when someone tells me what to do. Or is her behavior just a mask? I couldn't point out anything concrete, but I just have this funny feeling about her. Certainly, she seems the most interesting of the group.

And Rowan... I like her, and it seems we have most in common. Likes to tell stories, wants to make a name and prove herself a worthy hero, even her personality. I wonder if we'll clash trying to compete and outdo each other, or become friends. Or maybe both? I don't diminish her story, even mundane deeds can be turned into much more exciting stories with bit of an effort. Speaking of which, as there's no trace of the dwarf anywhere, I'll add something about myself beyond the short, one-sentence description I've given them and tell one of my own stories.

I look around, ignoring the sleeping (and apparently quite satisfied) drunk and smile at the women. "Well, it seems I owe you something beyond my own name and self-described profession. Want to grab seats first?" I'll wait, whether they take chairs or stools for themselves or not before continuing. "Have you ever heard of Beast of Swanford? Well, Swanford is a tiny village on Dessarin river, nothing fancy, few houses, farmers, fishermen, woodsmen... I think you can imagine. A horrible monster started to terrorise the village, and it seems Tymora smiled on the locals, because I reached the village during my travels. Naturally, when I've heard about the Beast, I agreed to slay it. Armed with torch and my trusty blade..." I pat the hilt of my sword for emphasis "I descended into the depths of Beast's den. Inside I was surrounded by what I assume were the Beast's numerous spawn... dozens of ugly, foul smelling critters, hungry for my flesh. I wouldn't stand a chance against them, but luckily, they've seem to be afraid of the flames of my torch. Using their fear to keep them at bay, I continued deeper into the lair. Then I saw it." I stop for a moment to build suspense before continuing "Pair of red eyes shining from the shadows. The Beast! It was huge, with mangy fur caked with who knows what, long, yellow teeth sharp as swords, dragging naked tail like venomous snake behind itself. It hissed at me, and I barely had time to defend myself when it charged me! My armor was no match for its fangs as they sunk into my flesh. A life-or-death struggle ensued. I don't know how long we battled, I was injured, but eventually managed to stab its black heart with my sword and free myself from its corpse." Another short pause, to make it seems like the story is over, before adding a twist. "But that was not the end. Enraged by death of their progenitor, the lesser beasts overcame their fear of fire and threw themselves at me with terryfying squeaking! I thought I was finished, but I managed to cast a spell that dropped most of the pack. The display of arcane might drove the rest away once again. I finished as many survivors as I could before crawling back to the surface. The Beast and many of its spawn were defeated, but I was bleeding and barely standing. I survived, obviously, but I spend the whole reward to pay for healing in the nearest temple. I wait for their reaction and suppress a smile. Best stories are those told without lying, but with a bit of embelishment, even mundane story can sound epic.

Like story how I've agreed to deal with rats in farmer's disused cellar, drove them away with a torch before giant rat the size of a dog threw itself at me, bit my foot straight through my boot, I was jumping around frantically trying to shake it off before I stabbed with a sword, put most of the remaining rats to sleep with a simple spell before murdering them when they were helpless, and then spent the handful of silver coins I've got on making sure the bite wasn't infected. And even though I've used a healing spell, I kept limping for a week.

Sorry for the wall of text, I wanted to establish some bard cred.
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:49 am

They all sit and listen to your tale. (Performance 20 vs DC 10) They are all clearly enthralled by your story. If any of them ever realized you were only talking about a simple extermination job, none seemed to care. When you finish, there is a brief pause from your audience. They were all waiting to see if there was one last twist. Even some of the other patrons of the inn were waiting to see if there were more. Then, after a moment, they all clamor to tell you praises. Some for your heroic deeds, and other simply for the entertainment you brought them. Rowan claps you on the back and admires your bravery. She even lets you know that she'll happily let you be her squire when she's famous. Avreena points out that Rowan would have to actually be famous first.

Once introductions were out of the way, the room suddenly felt like it was full of old friends. Everyone started telling stories of their own. Not necessarily tales of heroism, but simple anecdotes of mischief and misadventures in their youth. Some people bought your table a round of drinks as they continued to listen. Everyone joked, laughed drank and enjoyed themselves fully. For a moment, this broken and battered inn even reminded you of home.

Around the time Seraphina was telling you about the time she accidentally framed a guy for the actual crime he committed, you see some people walk into the tavern. One was a fair skinned dwarf with a long, red beard braided down to his knees. His nose and cheeks were rosy, as though he had decided to get drunk before coming to the bar. You could only assume that the was Gundren Rockseeker, the dwarf you all were waiting for. He was accompanied by a grey haired and stalwart human knight. You would place the gentleman in his fifties, and he looks to be as refined as Avreena has turned out to be. They walk over to the bar and Gundren climes onto the counter.

"Can ah have yer attention please?" his voice booms over the party you had inadvertently started, "As some of ye may know, I have been looking for adventurers to help me with a wee project of mine. If anyone here is interested, please come here so I may take a look at ye."

"What's this about, Gundren?" Torga catches you off guard as she raises her voice to match her cousin's. This is the first time since you've met her that she's gone any louder than a timid whisper.

"Torga! There ye are," laughs Gundren, "I know yer curious, but I can't go into details just yet. Just that me and the boys have found something big. I promise I'll let everyone in on the secret when we get to Phandalin, but for now we need to get some supplies out there. I've already purchased them, and they'll be ready to ship out tomorrow. Unfortunately Sildar and I need to go on ahead to make some more preparations, so everyone's first job will be to escort the gear to Phandalin. If anyone's interested, please let me know now. I'm willing to pay ten gold per person to get the gear safely there, and we can discuss further work afterwards."

Caravan guard doesn't sound like the most exciting of work, but Torga seemed curious. At Rowan's prodding, Torga says that she's known Gundren since she was a baby. If he insists he's stumbled upon something, then she believes him. That seems to be good enough for the rest of the group, as they get up to sign up. Seraphina seems particularly antsy when she hears that the destination is Phandalin. It seems like she was the only one that didn't know that ahead of time. She's one edge as she considers something, then get's in line with everyone else.

Hey, that easily makes the best story of slaying rats I've ever heard, so I'm not complaining.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:28 am

It seems my story made the right impression. I'll have to remember this on for later, though I wouldn't want to stick to one tale forever. Variety is the spice of life. And when others start telling their own stories, I listen carefully for any worth retelling. Not to change them and claim them for my own, I hope I'll get plenty of my tales, but good story shouldn't be told only once. As everyone's having fun, I drink the ale (ah, the perks of being a good storyteller, I rarely have to pay for my own drink. My looks helps, too), admittedly better than what I'd have expected from the looks of the tavern, and lose sense of time as I laugh, joke and add few other stories, though none of my own.

When the dwarf arrives and calls for everyone's attention, I'll excuse myself from my new friends and step out to listen to his offer. Caravan duty doesn't sound that interesting, but the promise of further work is intriguing, especially if Gundren think it should be kept secret from public. Some lost dwarven ruin? A new deposit of valuable ore? With the mention of gear, it could be either, or something else entirely. I'm trying to remember how far is it to Phandalin. Ten gold pieces may sound like a lot to a common laborer, but standard mercenary wage is about two gold pieces per day. Less for guard duty, but not for traveling through potentialy dangerous territory. If I found disrepancy between the estimated length of the journey and the wage, I'll raise my concerns. I don't want to sound greedy, but girl's got to be aware of her price and not underself herself. Besides, dwarves love bargaining. If everything's in order, I'll just tell Gundren I'm in.
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:31 pm

It turns out you were pretty spot on about your wages. He explains that Phandalin is about two days out on horse back if you make good time. With a cart, it would probably be about four or five days travel instead. With no other objections, Gundren has you sign the same contract that everyone else did. With no others stepping up for work, Gundren and his friend wish everyone well and leave the bar. They are burning daylight after all. The rest decide to head out as well and get some rest before their journey.

-----

You have been on the High Road a few days since then. Once again you find your guess to be accurate, as the cart you were tasked with escorting was filled with food and mining supplies. It doesn't reveal to you if it was the ruins or the ore deposit, but that will be revealed when you get to town. Before heading out, the group decided that someone should be in charge to call the shots while your employer was away. When the topic was brought up, Avreene immediately nominated you as group leader. She claimed you to clearly be more experienced then the rest, and no one other than Rowan felt the need to argue with the massive brute. As such, you found yourself in charge of the band of misfits. Everyone, even Rowan, was content to follow your orders, though both Rowan and Torga insisted on being the ones to drive the cart as no one else really knew how. For everyone else, you got to decide who was in front and who was bringing up the rear.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:47 am

With everything in order, I also use the time to rest. It would be nice to sleep in a proper bed and eat something that isn't my cooking or travel rations.

----

I was surprised at Avreene's suggestion I should be the leader of our merry band. Perhaps I shouldn't have embelished my accomplishments so much. I'm not sure if I'm the best option. I've made my share of mistakes, and I wouldn't like if others had to pay if I made another, and, knowing myself, I will. I've also never led anyone, and I mention the fact, though as nobody else seems to have any leadership experience, I'm at worst as good choice as any other. Still, it's nice being so trusted. For now, I've decided to be a more a hands-off leader, trusting the other women they know what they are doing. I readily agreed with Rowan and Torga taking turns at driving. Anyone else may walk or ride the cart as she wish, though I suggested someone should scout ahead. Far enough to notice trouble before we drive straight into it, but close enough to call for help or run to others if needed. I think both me and Seraphina would be good for this duty, and possibly Rowan too. Torga and Avreene would be hindered by their armor, and Arara is a wizard, while keen elven senses would be good for scouting, it would be safer to keep her with the group.

I've thought about hunting and foraging as we travel, as I was accustomed of doing, but ultimately decided against it. There's no need to slow our group even further, and it would seem unfair, as I doubt I would be able to provide fresh food for all of us. Hardtack, preserved meat and dried fruit it is, though I watch for sources of fresh water at every opportunity. If nobody objects, I'll take out my flute and play from time to time, and I talk with my companions if they wish to pass the time. Otherwise, the journey seems more boring than when I'm alone, propably because with everyone here, I can pay a bit less attention to my surroundings when I'm not scouting. Note to self: buy dice, or better yet, cards at the first opportunity. I think my companions will also appreciate it.

I'm not sure how much resource management we're going for. I'm usually pretty anal about it when I'm a player (to the point of counting material components for spellcasting), but most people don't care, and I'm less hard on my players when I'm the GM. It's more important in OotA anyway. I'll deduce coins for moderate inn stay and meal for the rest in the city, and any travel rations you say for the journey.
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:17 am

The group acknowledges your suggestion and follows suit. Currently it is Rowan's turn to drive the cart while Seraphina scouts ahead. Arara is resting in the cart as the walk has exhausted her. That leaves you, Torga and Avreene to guard the rear. The trail hasn't been that rough or eventful, but you make sure never to let your guard down since bandits do travel this road. At night, each of you takes shifts keeping watch. One night Seraphina tried to slip into the blankets of Torga's bedroll, and the lasting red bruise let you know the next morning how well that went. The group has been enjoying your music for the past few days, as it has been breaking up the monotony. When you finish an elvish instrumental piece you picked up awhile back, Avreene moves closer to you. She seems to have noticed your misgivings about being in charge.

"I wouldn't be too worried, Ms. Danelis," Avreen whispers cheerfully, "I'm sure you'll do fine as a leader. I'm not so dense that I suggested you based solely on a story. You're a generalist, are you not? Jack of all trades, that sort of thing? You may not have any of us beat in any one thing, but you understand it all. I chose you because you would know how best to make use of everyone's skills. More than that, you know how to talk to people. I'm sure if we ever hit trouble, you can inspire this lot to overcome it."

As if on cue, you see Seraphina running back to the group. She tells everyone to be on guard. Up ahead are some dead horses, each shot to death by arrows. At this, Rowan yells out in outrage, and you can see her fuming over the loss of the animals. As your group rounds the bend, you can see the horses up ahead.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:52 pm

I'm glad the journey so far was quiet, the incident between Seraphina and Torga nonwithstanding. I admit, I took all my willpower to avoid laughing or joking at the halfling's expense, but honestly, what did she expected? Not everyone is as open and free with her affections as her. But it doesn't seems to sour the relations between the two, so everything is fine.

When Avreene approaches me with her reassurances, I welcome it as an opportunity to voice some of my concerns I've kept to myself in front of the rest of the group. "That is true. I know how to use a sword, I'm a decent archer... or slinger, given the weapon I have on hand, and I know some magic too. Amongst other skills with less direct combat application. But all that is because I've traveled alone, and expected to continue doing so, so I had to pick skills to cover all bases. I'm not sure if leadership is amongst those skills. I'll do my best, but I still have this nagging fear that if I mess up, people besides me may pay for it. And... thanks for reminding me, this is just another mistake: I've tried to know all of you as people, but I haven't really asked what you can do as adventurers. I mean, you have your axe and decent armor, but I don't know about how you actually fight. Given the choice of your gear, I would guess you're more aggressive type..." I smile at the memory. "And your first impression back in the tavern sort of confirms that. And I'd expected you to have some training in commanding men, being a noble and all, no? But what about the others? Rowan has both a bow and a greatsword, and lighter armor, that may mean she's prefering more versatile combat style like me. And, despite my stories... which are true, mind you... I think she's more expecienced than me. Arara is a wizard, but I have no idea what magic can she do. There's big difference between an illusionist and a battlemage. Same with Torga: she's got good armaments, but what can she do as a cleric? Is she more of a healer or a warrior? And I can't really imagine Seraphina in combat. She seems just too carefree for a battle, but I trust she can handle herself if it comes to that. How am I supposed to... well, I don't want to say "order you around", so... hm... lead and inspire you, if I haven't learned these things?" And, seeing the last named woman running back towards us, I fear I really should've asked sooner.

Hearing her explanaition, I tell Rowan to stop the cart. No sense in driving into possible ambush when we've learned about it up front. I have more questions for our scout, though. "Just horses? No riders, or wagons? No bandits in the open?" It may mean the attackers have picked the site clean and are long gone, but better not to risk it. And something feels wrong. Who would shoot horses? If you tried to stop fleeing victim, or by accident, but horses are valuable, and any proper bandit should know that and try to capture them alive, either for his own use or to sell them. An act of pure malice, or was there some reason to do so? Dead horses would block the road, but the same thing may be done with logs or boulders. Perhaps to lure someone to investigate? "All right, be wary and prepare yourselves for battle...I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it would work." I move toward the bend in the road carefully. I want to see for myself, not only the horses, but surrounding terrain as well, the core of a plan already beginning to form up in my mind. If there are enemies still unaware of our presence, perhaps me, Seraphina and maybe Rowan would be able to use the terrain for cover to move closer and flank them. With no source of cover, and Torga the only one with a shield, approaching group of archers openly would be suicide. Perhaps there's something amongst the supplies in the cart to use as a portable cover?
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:06 am

As you look around, you see the two horses dead on the road. The woods press close to the trail here, with a steep embankment and dense thickets on either side. Almost any spot you look at is a potential hiding spot. You have a bad feeling about this, but none of you are able to see if or where any assailants may be. Without any way of already knowing how many you are dealing with, or where they could be hiding, this place seems perfect for picking off people that split from the group. Moving as a group could be an issue as well. Trying to cover one side at a time could leave your backs exposed.

You try to devise a plan, but one of your team mates gets antsy. "I think that's Gundren's horse," Torga cries out in panic as she runs over to it. In that moment, four goblins pop out from all sides. Two of them rush at your team while the other two start firing with their short bows. They swarm around the hapless dwarf that moved ahead of the party. She does admirably defending against the surprise attack, but one manages to slash at her leg with it's scimitar.

Goblin Stealth 19 vs Passive Perceptions
Suprise Round!
Attack Roll 23 vs Torga's AC 18
Damage Roll 6
Attack Roll 13 vs Torga's AC 18
Attack Roll 6 vs Torga's AC 18
Attack Roll 11 vs Torga's AC 18
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:13 am

"Ah dammit!" I would curse Torga for her recklessness, but if that's really our employer's... and her cousin's...horse, it's understandable. I'm about to shout orders at the rest of my companions, when I see the attackers and notice it's just four goblins. Just four? Weird that they would attack people without overwhelming number advantage... but good ambush position and just two riders... or one dwarf on foot... must seem like good odds. I trust the others will know what to do and run towards Torga, drawing my sword on the move. "Stand fast, Torga! We're with you!"

If I can get close enough, I'll grip the sword in both hands and join the dwarf's fight against her attackers. I'm painfully aware I'm easier target for the archers than the smaller, armored dwarf, but I can't leave her alone against multiple opponents. I can worry about the archers when she's in a better position.

Drawing weapon as object interaction, moving to Torga.
Action: either attacking one of the melee goblins with two-handed longsword attack or Dash if I can't reach her with normal movement
Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration on Torga
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:09 am

As you rush forth to help your companion, your party reveals that it has archer's of it's own. Seraphina and Rowan both draw their bows and focus on the same goblin in the back. Their shots fly true and turn the little monster into a pin cushion. Arara tries to assist with a blast of cold energy from her hands, aiming to strike down the other archer. But when his friend dropped dead beside him, the goblin quickly ducked back into cover, causing the wizards spell to miss.

With the people in the back giving you artillary support, you make it to the front line. You swing your longsword at one of the goblin assailants, but they manage to duck under the blade. He spins and brings his blade up to hurt Torga once again while his friend jumps up and slashes at you. You step back and parry while Torga blocks with her shield. You feel pretty good about yourselves before you hear a cry of pain. A quick glance allows you to look back and see Arara with an arrow sticking out of her stomach. You can only guess that the goblin she attacked before had singled her out. Torga curses, but can't safely get away from the goblins to heal the elf.

Fortunately Avreene joins you in the front lines and swings her axe upwards. She cleaves into the goblin that you had attacked, and sends it's corpse soaring over the dead horses. With one off her, Torga is free to gang up on the other one. She smashes her warhammer into it's skull, killing it as dead as it's compatriots. As soon as it drops she ducks back to the wizard to administer aid. With all of it's little friends dead, the last goblin tries to cut and run. It rolls down the embankment and tries to dash across the road.

Seraphina Attack 18 Vs Goblin 3: 6 Damage
Rowan Attack 23 vs Goblin 3: 4 Damage
Arara casts Ray of Frost 9 vs Goblin 4: miss
Lina Attack 14 vs Goblin 1: miss
Goblin 1 Attack 16 vs Torga: miss
Goblin 2 Attack 8 vs Lina: miss
Goblin 4 Attack 23 vs Arara: 6 Damage
Avreene Attack 22 vs Goblin 1: 13 Damage
Torga Attack 20 vs Goblin 2: 9 Damage
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:14 am

Well, that wasn't exactly how I'd wished my first battle besides my new companions to go. The nimble little bastard is harder to hit than homemade training figurine, oversized rodent holding onto my own leg or drunk orc (or was he an half-orc?) looking the other way. But the battle went well with numbers on our side and goblins being surprised when more of us showed up. Though Torga was hit, blades aren't very effective against mail, and she doesn't seem seriously injured. But the scream from behind me warns me that the others aren't that lucky. For a moment, I freeze, uncertain if I should deal with the goblins first or run to Arara's aid, hoping to get out of the reach before one of them could take advantage of my distraction. But before I can decide, the battle is over as Avreene joins the fray. With immediate threat dealt with, and Torga already on her way to help our wizard, I notice the last goblin. We could just let him run, he's not a threat at the moment, but he may tell us what happened and if there's more of them.. besides, he's the one who shot Arara. "Take care of Arara." I say, a bit redundantly as that's what our cleric already intends to do, and turn towards the fleeing goblin.

"Stop and surrender!" I don't really believe he'll obey, so I chase after him. If I can catch up to him, I'll either try to grab him, or knock him unconscious with the flat of my blade if he pulls out a weapon and tries to defend himself.

Move towards the goblin
Action to Dash if he's too far away to reach in a single move, otherwise either grapple or an attack with intent to knock him unconscious instead of killing him.
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:12 am

Everyone drops what they are doing and run to Arara, as no one was completely sure if that order was meant for them. You charge at the goblin and tackle him down to the ground. As the two of you struggle, you grab him by his armor and lift him up. Unfortunately, the little bastard is more nimble than you gave him credit for. He quickly manages to wriggle out of his clothes somehow and drops to the ground completely naked. He takes advantage of your shock and bolts into the thorny bushes to the north. You try to give chase, but the shifty little bastard must be used to running away. He may leave you completely in the dust, but you do manage to notice a hidden trail on the other side of the bushes. The trail leads further north and looks well used by a what could easily be dozens of goblins.

Meanwhile, your cleric does what she can to treat Arara's wound. Avreene hold the elf steady while the dwarf breaks the arrow and pulls it out the other side. Arara cries in pain, but Torga does what she can to sooth her. Torga begins chanting a prayer while holding tightly onto her necklace. Once the prayer is done, a warm blue light radiates from her hand as she presses it to the wound. Those that are there can see the hole seal back up and fade away. Before long, Arara looks as though she were never shot in the first place.

Lina Attack 18 vs Goblin: hit
Grapple 4 vs Opposed Acrobatics 22
Goblin uses Disengage as a bonus action
Goblin dashes
Torga uses Cure Wounds: Arara heals 14
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:29 am

I would've appreciated the goblin's quick thinking and agility more if it didn't resulted in his junk being waved in my face. I really didn't need to see that. Perhaps if it wasn't a goblin.... Still, it is a nice trick, too bad it's unlikely I'd be able to add it to my own arsenal. I drop the rags and continue chasing after goblin, leaving the others behind for the time being. He may have got a headstart, but I've got longer legs... though, admittedly, his own short legs are quite fast. The bushes don't look too welcoming and the trail is better suited for a goblin than someone of my own size. I hope my clothes are sturdy enough to protect my skin from thorns, even if they may not be so lucky themselves. But I can deal with any damage I may have recieve later, that's what I've learned that repair spell for. The trail itself confirms my worries, it looks like there might be many more goblins, and we really don't need the escapee to draw them towards us. And though I've noticed the dead horses, I've been focused too much on the goblin ambushers to notice if the riders were there... the goblin may be able to answer what happened to them if they're not. "If you don't surrender, I'll drag you back straight through those thorns when I catch you!" I may have lost the sight of the goblin for a bit, but I intend to catch him again. I run after him as fast as I can, focused on what lies in front of me, paying little attention to my surroundings. The sword in my hand may slow my sprint a bit, but I may need it if I caught up with my quarry.

I just hope Arara will be still alive when I return. Healing magic alone makes me grateful for the existence of gods.

Running after goblin, using actions to dash, at least until the situation changes, I'll reach him or just catch a sight of him. Opportunity attack with my sword intended to knock him out, single-handed, in the unlikely event I'll reach him without him surrendering.
Technically, I can never caught him... same base speed, I can dash to him, he'll just disengage and dash away again... I know I've abused the hell of that ability when I played a rogue.
Phoenixcz

Postby devilbird » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:45 pm

You continue to chase after the buck naked goblin, refusing to let him get away. You can see that while he is successfully managing to duck and weave through the wilderness to evade your capture, he is not so fortunate to evade nature's wrath. His entire body is covered with cuts and scratches from the bushes earlier, and further branches and rocks have only added to his suffering. You dash after him for several minutes before you notice something odd. Even for his spastic movements and zigzagging, you notice the goblin step oddly at one point. Before you even get a chance to think about it or stop, you charge right into a trap and feel your legs pulled out from under you. You look up to see the ground above you, and realize that you've been caught in a snare. The goblin finally stops and turns to face you, an event you regret more than the trap itself. He picks up a rock and chucks it at you while you hang. It stings as it hits your arm. The bruised and cut goblin then simply points at you and laughs at your misfortune.

Lina Dex Save 5 vs DC 10
Goblin Attacks 16 vs AC: 2 Damage

You know the character Benny, from The Mummy (1999)? I think I'm gonna make this goblin my Benny. The overly confidant little weasel that constantly is losing, even when he wins.
devilbird

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:18 pm

While I'm not really gaining on the goblin, he's not getting away earlier. Unfortunately, I'm too focused on him, and as I grow angrier by the moment at how long the chase takes, I fail to notice the trap. Before I know what's going on, I'm hanging upside down, disoriented, my sword out of my reach where it fell on the ground, with a naked, laughing goblin throwing rocks at me. This is not my day. I try to shield my head with my hands, return the goblin's attack with the only thing I can throw at him at the moment... profanities... and think what to do next. I'm helpless, but the goblin is alone... at least for now, with how lucky I'm getting today, the rest of his tribe is about to show up any moment.... Well, not exactly helpless, I still have some tricks in my proverbial sleeve, but first, I'll have to find out if I can get out of this snare. If I haven't dropped my sword, I could cut the rope holding me, but even if I draw my dagger, it's too short, and I'm not sure if I could bend up enough to reach my legs. But perhaps there's another option... Though my position doesn't help, I'll try to cast a spell to set the rope on fire... preferably without doing the same to myself. Maybe i'll surprise him this time, though I can't hide my attempt to cast a spell, perhaps I can manage to hide the result... as unlikely as that seems.

Trying to use Prestidigitation to burn the rope (too bad it doesn't have the telekinesis option it had in 3.5, though that would be too weak to lift the sword anyway). Preferably setting the fire somewhere the goblin wouldn't noticed easily

BTW, I was checking if there's a new post just before I went to bed, then decided to write a PM concerning something else, and found out that the new post has appeared while I was writting the PM. Heh.
Phoenixcz

Next

Return to Private Games