Dungeons of the Kragmor Plains(Devilbird)

Forum for publicly viewable but closed-group role-playing.

Re: Dungeons of the Kragmor Plains(Devilbird)

Postby Sallin_Kari » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:28 pm

"I've heard about this before," Elisa nods, "Don't know why, but sometimes there are these rooms that monsters just won't leave... well unless you physically attack them, but they also somehow know if someone enters it even if they are gone."
"I've also noticed that... they're even hostile to me," Cikuma notes, "They strike me as strange, even among monsters, and have a foul smell around them. Perhaps they've fallen full victim to the dungeon?"
Random person in the comments section of a random hentai manga- "Now I am ashamed of myself."
Me- "Posh, shame is for fools and people with friends... we need no such things, we have the internet."
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:46 pm

"Alright, new plan," I muse, curious about the peculiar guardian, "Kal Kul and I will use our ranged abilities to provoke it and draw it out. She'll do her best to keep it blinded, as I'm certain we don't want to be risking any attacks from it. If she succeeds in blinding it right away, then Cikuma and Elisa charge in and take advantage of the creature. If not, then we draw it out and let the two of them maul it when it leaves the room. Sound good?"
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:53 pm

"I wouldn't recommend that. Minotaurs are prone to charge, and if we're all cramped into a corridor, we're prime targets," Elisa points out, "It might work if you manage to blind it, but that's too risky in my opinion."
Random person in the comments section of a random hentai manga- "Now I am ashamed of myself."
Me- "Posh, shame is for fools and people with friends... we need no such things, we have the internet."
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:18 pm

"Good point. Then perhaps Cikuma can rush in and try to lock it down? Keep it from having any room to charge. While he's doing that, Kal will be trying to blind him at the same time to put him at a disadvantage. That's when you and I swarm in and lay on as much punishment as possible while he's at his most vulnerable."
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:57 pm

"Understood. I will warn you that his strength is quite high, and so he is quite capable of inflict damage on me... though on the same hand I can do the same to him, so I should be able to force his attention," Cikuma nods.
"Sounds good to me," Elisa nods.

You follow Kal Kul's directions and soon find yourself an entrance to a wide room, about 30m by 30m, a dramatic increase from the comparatively tight corridors you are in. The minotaur is pacing at the far end, in front of a door that you can clearly see the sparkle of gold through. It does look like Kal Kul's harassment has successfully annoyed him from his mannerisms. Cikuma rushes forward letting out a loud growling hoot, taking a good swing, leaving four bloody wounds across the Minotaur's chest. It, however, returned the favor with its ax, striking deep into, and possibly even through Cikuma's collarbone. Kal Kul quickly took advantage of the fight breaking out, and fires off her dazzling spray at the Minotaur.

Elisa and you follow up, You conjuring three darts which strike home, and Elisa manages to slip past Cikuma, slicing at the Minotaur's flank. Cikuma on the other hand lets out an enraged howl, and looks like he's ready to tear the Minotaur to pieces for that injury he received.
Combat Rolls
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Cikuma attacks Minotaur: 17 Hit - 29 Heavy Blow
Minotaur attacks Cikuma: 16 Hit - 44 Critical Blow
Kal Kul dazzles Minotaur: 15 Success
Elisa attacks Minotaur: 18 Hit - 19 Solid Blow
Willow casts at Minotaur: 15 three stone darts- 23, 22, 22 3 Solid Blows
Cikuma- Status activate, Frenzy.

Status

Willow: Unharmed
Elisa: Unharmed
Cikuma: 1 Devastating Injury, Frenzied(3 turns)
Kal Kul: Unharmed
Minotaur: Severe Injury, 4 Injuries, Dazzled(3 turns, -5 to attacks)
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:16 am

Seeing how capable this beast was at tearing into Cikuma, I waste no time trying to do any fancy with my darts like before. All that mattered where accurate hits to put the monstrosity down before he could do the same to Cikuma. I instruct Kal to do what damage she can now that she blinded him, and Elisa should keep up the hit and run tactics. Cikuma seemed ready for revenge, and I had no intention of robbing him of that.
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:32 am

Blinded, the minotaur swings wildly at Cikuma, whom simply stands up onto his back legs, out of reach of the wild swings, before dropping back down, raking the minotaur across the chest with both claws. By the time his paws reach the ground, there is already a growing pool of minotaur blood. Elisa meanwhile continues around behind it, before, in a spurt of blood, you can see the tip of her blade poke out of his chest. Kal Kul, however, can't seem to bring up enough flames to cause any damage.

Your attempts, meanwhile, are slightly less successful, as with all of the action, you have trouble lining up the shots with the minotaur's vitals. Two of your darts catch in its arms and only one makes to the torso. Still, it is taking quite a beating, and you doubt it'll survive much longer if you keep this up.
Combat Rolls

Cikuma attacks Minotaur: 20,20 2 Hit - 26,25 2 Heavy Blow
Minotaur attacks Cikuma: 9 Miss
Kal Kul Feyfire Minotaur: 13 Failure
Elisa attacks Minotaur: 27 Critical Hit - 18 Solid Blow
Willow casts at Minotaur: 16 three stone darts- 18, 24, 15 1 Solid Blow 2 Hits

Status

Cikuma: 1 Devastating Injury, Frenzied(2 turns)
Minotaur: 4 Severe Injuries, 4 Injuries, Moderate Injuries 2, Dazzled(2 turns, -5 to attacks)

Side note... You've already over half killed the Minotaur in two bloody turns. I mean I wasn't expecting this to be nearly as difficult as the fight against Cikuma as they're both bosses of this level, and with him on your side its basically a guaranteed win, but I was expecting it to take a bit longer.
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:54 am

This is it. The beast is on death's door. One more push will probably do it. Seeing how my attacks are aren't doing as well since I have to worry about hitting my friends, I decide that it is less important for me to aim for vitals, and more just to line up my shots to slow it down. I do my best to wait for a moment when the minotaur overextends itself in its blind rage, then attempt to punish it for its mistakes rather than just going for the kill. If I can keep it from hitting one of the others again, then I will have done my job well. Meanwhile, I leave Kal Kul to her own devices. She doesn't seem to be able to do any damage, but perhaps she can find an opportunity to pull a prank on the monster that will, in turn, create an opening for Elisa or Cikuma.
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:33 am

Cikuma capitalizes on the minotaur's conditions, stepping to it, cause the minotaur's swing to harmlessly strike with the haft just above its hand before Cikuma rakes it once more with its claws. Elisa, meanwhile, once again stabs it through the chest, painting Cikuma's chest feathers crimson. Kal Kul, however, can't really do much, but you manage to get one of your darts into the creature's neck, and two into his left bicep. You can tell the blood loss is crippling the minotaur as it is struggling to even lift its ax, and even if it could, you can tell it is more interested in escaping the encirclement than fighting to the death. This battle is over, you just need to decide if you wish spare the creature, let it bleed out, or kill it yourself.

Combat Rolls

Cikuma attacks Minotaur: 16,24 2 Hit - 22,24 2 Solid Blow
Minotaur attacks Cikuma: 9 Miss
Kal Kul Feyfire Minotaur: 12 Failure
Elisa attacks Minotaur: 28 Critical Hit - 11 Hit
Willow casts at Minotaur: 15 three stone darts- 27, 15, 12 1 Heavy Blow 2 Hits

Status

Cikuma: 1 Devastating Injury, Frenzied(1 turns)
Minotaur: 5 Severe Injuries, 7 Injuries, 4 Moderate Injuries, Dazzled(1 turns, -5 to attacks), Dying(Rolls Stamina every round or dies, all other rolls results are halved)
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:33 pm

I never considered myself a cruel or evil person. Nor do I particularly hate monsters, thanks to my constant exposure to them in my upbringing. Even the monsters here are mostly acting under the influence of the dungeon itself. As such, I try to make it a point to kill only in defense. I consider giving up the potion that I kept, allowing the creature to save its life. It certainly has high risks for no reward. The creature could immediately come after us again, and would certainly be a constant road block until we could teleport to the next floor. Even if the creature did decide to flee, it would mean that I would be down a vital potion. It wouldn't be fair to her companions to put them at risk. In the end, I decide it just isn't safe to spare the creature, but it would be cruel to let it just bleed out. I do my best to put it out of its misery.
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:59 am

Turns out that your worry was unfounded, as without any comment from you, your allies continued their assault. Cikuma lungs forward, biting deep into the minotaur's collarbone, forcing it to the ground as he tears at the gut with his foreclaws. Elisa, after backing up from the falling minotaur, grips onto on of the horns, pulling its head back, before stabbing it through the throat, and a few short moments later, the minotaur ceases any movement. At that both Cikuma and Elisa plop down onto the ground. Elisa lets out a gasp of exhaustion while Cikuma tends to his wounds. "Nice... I'd never imagine I'd win against a minotaur before..."
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:21 pm

With the creature out of the way, I brush aside my philosophical debate for a later time. There wasn't going to be any way to safely spare it. Instead, I move onto my companions, and congratulating them on their efforts.

"We really handled that well," I cheer enthusiastically before gesturing to the treasure in the room, "And we managed to earn a decent payout to finally get started. Great work everyone. When we are ready, we should see how much we just earned."

Afterwards I move and sit down with Cikuma. Careful not to brush up against any of his injuries, I pet him gently.

"Thank you for keeping us safe," I say softly to him, "We can rest as long as you need. I also have a potion if you need it."
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:50 pm

Treasure roll: 18 Magical Item!
Type: 3 Consumables... I'm picking scrolls
Number: 4
Gold: 59 gold

A smile of excitement grows on Elisa's face as you head for the treasure as Kal Kul zips ahead cheerfully giggling. By the time you get there, she's holding a couple of gold coins in her hands, which look almost like small plates to her small stature. You are at first disappointed by the relatively small pile, but then you notice some parchment with in the pile, and shifting it aside you realize these are scrolls. You could try to identify them, but that requires probing them with magic, which has a non-zero chance of accidentally activating the scroll. Regardless, they could be exceptionally valuable, if not useful.

[I... appreciate the offer, but those should be kept for you who can't heal as fast. We don't have enough to use them for comfort] Cikuma pauses from his grooming to look up to you, shaking his head at your offer.

To indicate that he can't speak yet, and is talking to you directly though the bond, I think I'm going to format his comments like this, that way you don't get confused if Elisa, for example, doesn't respond to what he says.
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:20 am

I nod to Cikuma, as what he said was pretty rational. And I know that ultimately he will be fine, but I still care. I get up to look at the haul, to find it was quite the payout that I had been lead to believe. At least, that is what I first thought. Then I discover the scrolls. I wish I could identify them safely, but have no way of doing so without accidentally activating them. Regretfully, I may need Kalia again, as I don't know of anyone else at Base Camp that is actually trained to use magic items like this. I put them into my pack for now, and wait until everyone is ready to move on before looking to see what ways from this room there are to progress.
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:47 am

There is no way out of the treasure room, but the room the minotaur was in is an offshoot of a hallway. "So, are we going to continue or call it quits while we are ahead?" Elisa asks.
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 am

"If Cikuma is feeling up to continuing, I say we press on," I answer, "We at least need to make sure we are proffiting enough to cover living expenses, and to increase our supply of health potions for hazards like another minotaur. We didn't make a lot of gold out of this fight. Now, potentially those scrolls are valuable, but we can't safely assume that until they are appraised."
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:11 am

[You need not worry about me, I ensure you that I can continue longer than anyone else here,] He replies, which answers your question.

A short while later you hear growling and shouting ahead, Kal Kul zips forward and reports back, "Orcs! Filthy little things! Two of them it looks like... They seem to be trying to fighting for dominance." Her tone is laced heavily with venom, reminding you that fey have an almost universally bad relationship with orcs, due to the orcs tendency to destroy the fey's habitat in search for resources, plunder, and, on occasion, even the fey themselves.
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:27 pm

I was glad to hear that Cikuma was ready to go. I definitely feel safer with him around. With that in mind, I packed up the gold to divvy later, and stowed the scrolls away. We continued onward until Kal Kul spotted something up ahead. Orcs. I held my reservations about fighting aside. The dungeon might be affecting these monsters in weird ways, but orcs still caused problems no matter where they were, and should be considered a threat.

"Alright, since they seem to be preoccupied, we'll set up an ambush. We'll spy on them until they seem worn out, then move in to finish them off quickly. With luck, this will mean we can deal with them with little fuss," I strategise.
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:14 am

Luck roll: 6

One of the orcs backs down before it comes to blows, and they begin slowly moving away, but are alert, constantly checking their surroundings. "Perhaps this isn't the best path... We can back track and take another route if you don't feel like taking them," Elisa suggests.
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:57 pm

"Yeah, alright," I whisper as I quietly back away, trying not to agitate the orcs. I'm confident we could take them, but my goal should be to find as many resources and treasures as possible without expending energy. We'll fight if we have to, but I shouldn't go seeking conflict until I am ready. I apologize to Kal Kul, and tell her we'll get them next time.
devilbird

PreviousNext

Return to Private Games