Dungeons of the Kragmor Plains(Devilbird)

Forum for publicly viewable but closed-group role-playing.

Dungeons of the Kragmor Plains(Devilbird)

Postby Sallin_Kari » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:06 am

You wheeze a bit, stopping as your finally see your destination. As light as your load is, it still weighs you down. Considering you've never had to walk more than from one side of your master's mansion to the other, this trip is quite the ordeal despite taking a carriage most of the way here. Still you are almost there, so you press on and, after about an hour, you find yourself catching your breath below a sign welcoming you to 'Base Camp,' a settlement that grew up from the adventurer's camp set up outside the dungeon entrance here, and as such never officially had a name before it finally grew up enough to be put on the map. Apparently no one could agree on a name, so eventually the cartographer just named it Base Camp to be done with the argument. Regardless of the unusual name, your master, Revor Kalmor, sent you here to further your training as well as to help you amass wealth and fame, by helping a former colleague of his research the place. You were given a name, Kalia, as well as where to find this Kalia, the town's potion shop. An easy enough find, since it has a giant sign of a potion hanging outside of it, once you made your way to the 'town square' which was more of a ring, surrounding a strange stone plate with a spire jutting out from the middle. It's function was revealed as an adventure group moved up to it, tapped something against it, vanishing in a flash of light. Still, your investigation of the strange teleporter would have to wait, as you had to meet with your contact.

Entering the potion shop, your nose is assaulted by an array of smells ranging from simple herbs, to sulfur, to a troglodyte's stench glands. In addition you here soft bubbling in the distance as you survey the store. A simple layout with the corner you face upon entering being dominated by the counter, behind which is a door to the back, where presumably the brewing takes place, with shelves lined up to your left, each with multiple racks into which the potion bottles are snugly fitted into. Even at a brief glance you can't help but be amazed at the selection. However, before you can browse further, a strong feminine voice politely calls out, "May I help you?" Turning you see the counter is now occupied by a young lady who looks only slightly older than you wearing what appears to be a leather outfit, dyed white.
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

CS

Name:Willow Gale

Physique: -2
Finesse: 0
Stamina: 1
Magic: 2
Focus: 3
Charm: 3

Looks: 5'6”ft, 22 yrs

Pale skin resulting from a strong desire to stay indoors. Long dark brown hair in a pony tail. Piercing brown eyes. Cynical smile. She is scrawny like a scarecrow. B cup breasts.

Wears drab brown and black robes, marked on the back with a simple eldritch symbol on the back. The symbol marks her as an apprentice of the conjuration school. She wears nylon pantyhose over plain white panties. Her bra is a matching plain bra.
c12b816c5ebbafa7cc6cad2539b682a5--oversized-sweaters-anime-girl-hot.jpg
c12b816c5ebbafa7cc6cad2539b682a5--oversized-sweaters-anime-girl-hot.jpg (53.09 KiB) Viewed 2334 times

Inventory: a light stone, 2 healing potions, 2 stamina potions, 2 numbing potions, a scroll of spider summoning, a ring enchanted with a single use 'Impact' spell, an amulet with Revor's insignia, and 142 gold.

Spell book: Rock Dart, Summon Monster, Ritual Summoning.

Summons:
Level 1: Celestial Dog(Tulimak), Pixie(Kal Kul)
Ritual: Earth Elemental{Precious gems}

Personality: Willow has a hard time relating to people. However, due to her interactions with various creatures and demons, she has at least learned how to socialize well enough to get what she wants. She generally doesn't mean much harm, but prefers to lie and manipulate people rather than opening up to them. She enjoys being challenged, and has a competitive streak when it comes to both puzzles and people. She gladly engages in battles of wits with people, and enjoys herself whether she wins or loses. Willow has a mostly kind heart, but a sharp tongue and a cynical mind. Her cutting remarks make her seem much more mean and sadistic than she actually is.

Back Story: Willow was orphaned by an accidental fire when she was six years old. The people and children at the orphanage weren't bad people, especially when one considers how little people cared about orphans in that day and age. But try as they might, they never felt like more than strangers to the little girl. Instead, she would often try to avoid people by burying her face into any book she could find.

In her books, she would live out the escapist fantasies of the heroes mentioned within. She always fancied herself as clever, so would gravitate towards the mages and their immense power. She would dream of one day leading a glamorous life like that of the heroes of old. While she would become a wizard, it wouldn't be through any sort of harrowing ordeal. Her master was looking for an apprentice in his old age, and simply wanted a pupil that was young, smart, and wouldn't be pulled away from a family. After three or four towns, she was chosen to leave the orphanage to train under him.

Willow was happy to go, and spent the latter half of her life training under the wizard. She was a quick learner, and by her early twenties had already understood most of the theories involved. Recently, her master has taught her her first few practical spells, and has been sent on adventure to aid a friend of her master's explore a mysterious dungeon. Willow herself is excited to match her wits against the surreal wonders that await her.
Random person in the comments section of a random hentai manga- "Now I am ashamed of myself."
Me- "Posh, shame is for fools and people with friends... we need no such things, we have the internet."
Sallin_Kari

Re: Dungeons of the Kragmor Plains(Devilbird)

Postby devilbird » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:29 pm

It seems sedentary life with my master had taken it's toll on me. While I was never as athletic as the other children in the orphanage, I'm sure I would have had much less trouble with this trip in my youth. I gave myself a wry smile as I thought to myself how I could possibly be past my prime so early in life. Still, I started to think about the many adventures I had read about. I had waited all my life to go on an adventure of my own, I refused be defeated before I had even reached it. And so I continued onward. By the time I had reached the town square, I was a mural of sweat, dirty and bug bites. I wheezed my way into the center, then collapsed from exhaustion. There I remained, face down in the dirt, until one kind guard fetched me some water. I greedily guzzled it down as my eyes darted about, searching for the potion shop. Fortunately it was easy enough to find. Once I felt I was no longer on death's door, I made my way towards it. Upon the way, I noticed a strange device in the square. As much as I wanted to investigate it in person, it would likely be more prudent to ask Kalia when I met them.

I planned out a grand entrance to the shop, similar to that introduced the heroes of the history books. However, my actual entrance was far more timid than I would have liked, or even cared to admit. The smell of an alchemy lab, a smell that combined all the intrigue of a spice shop with all the subtlety of a waste heap, violated my nostrils the moment I was through the door. A look of stunned surprise adorned my face as my senses adjusted to their surroundings. When my body decided it was safe to breath again, I let out a few weak coughs to kick start my lungs once more. It was then that my curiosity took hold once more. I started to explore and snoop around the shop, fascinated by the rare ingredients and strange concoctions. Then my eyes rested upon the books, and a strange glee overcame me. I moved over to the book case, but was halted by a voice. I turned to see a beautiful woman at the counter.

"Ah yes," I said as I composed myself, wishing to seem at least somewhat dignified, "My name is Willow. My master, Revor Kalmor, has sent me here to aid in the exploration of the local dungeon. I am looking for his colleague Kalia. Shall I presume that is you?"
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:05 pm

She smiles at that, playfully saying, "Ah, so you're the help he promised me... Aren't you a darling! How is the old scab by the way? Still scowling at anyone who dares visit I assume?" She pauses to chuckle to herself, clearly having fond memories of your master, "He didn't tell me that he'd be sending his pupil though... Well than again just about the only thing he told me about you was that you existed and your name," She shrugs at that with a grimace, clearly also having not so fond memories of your master as well. She shakes herself out of it, her jubilance returning as she introduces herself, "As you have correctly guessed, I am Kalia Rueger, or Kalia the White, which ever you prefer, darling. I am a transmuter of some level of skill, and I was sent here by the College of the Magi, because of some... interesting changes that were occurring to the dungeon or more specifically the monsters within it that the College believed would be more with in my specializations than any others... Unfortunately the dungeon seems to have taken exception to my efforts and... reacts poorly to my attempt to enter it. As such I have been forced to subcontract to adventurers but that has been... frustrating in a number of regards as well... First off, my stipend from the College has not increased despite my increased expenses, hence why I have to peddle potions in order to make ends meet, and well, most adventurers can't tell the difference between a dash of sulfur and a gout of magefire." She pauses once more to sigh as she reminisces on her troubles, before smiling once more at you, before, "But that's where you, darling, come in! Still, before we get ahead of ourselves, I need to ask. How much do you know about this dungeon?"
Random person in the comments section of a random hentai manga- "Now I am ashamed of myself."
Me- "Posh, shame is for fools and people with friends... we need no such things, we have the internet."
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:08 pm

"Not much I'm afraid," I admitted, more than willing to shuffle past what ever awkward drama was between her an master. I was admittedly not a very social person myself, but master could easily put me to shame. While I was sure that he was a good person, he wasn't a necessarily kind one. He was gruff, and blunt, and often short of patience. Even those I had met that did have something good to say about him, had plenty else to say as well. With master raising me for most of my life, I very nearly could have been a hermit like him, had he not had me running errands for him in the nearby town. A task I assume was more for my benefit, seeing as he could always conjure food and water, or have some imp gather supplies.

"Master seemed very keen on having me learn about it without many preconceptions," I continued, "That said, my travels gave me some time to think. I do have a few thoughts at least. First, this dungeon must stand out from the usual ruins and crypts that attract adventurers such as those outside. That difference must be magical in nature, otherwise master wouldn't spare it a second thought. Second, there must be a reason that you aren't able to enter, but novice adventurers are. Either the dungeon, or something inside it, is aware of you and only wants weaker people to enter. While I'm aware that my master is using this place to test me, I suspect that another reason I'm alone is that he wouldn't be able to enter as well. The reasons why elude me so far, but I do admit that my curiosity is piqued. Other than that, however, I have no real clues as to what I will be dealing with."
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:52 pm

Her eyes glimmer at your explanation, "Correct... Revor always had a good eye for talented minds... Let us start from the beginning. Yes this dungeon is magical in nature, and it is 'alive' rather than discarded ruins who's magic is struggling to keep the place running. This was discovered two hundred years ago when the first adventurers entered, and after coming back to their camp to spend the night, realized that the map they made the previous day had become useless, as the dungeon had re-arranged itself, including restocking any looted treasure. Naturally it didn't take long for a dungeon with presumably endless treasure to become known, and with the influx of adventuring parties a few new bit of information became known. First off, not only did the dungeon change, but each group that entered experienced a different layout, which leads me to believe their is spatial magic involved. Second, they came across these strange devices with crystals attracted to them, ones reminiscent of the structure outside, which I should add was here from the beginning. In addition a similar structure was found with in the dungeon itself, which, when touched to one of the device, resonated, and after some trial and error teleported the one holding it back outside, and allowed them to return to the dungeon. Further exploration, revealed that there are different... levels for lack of a better term, which has stronger monsters, but also better treasures. In addition each of theses levels appear to have a teleporter of their own, which one could use to return to that level from the one outside. This dungeon was certainly strange but not one that garnered much interest from the College until an event fifty years ago... The monster's behavior changed... Instead of merely trying to kill adventurers they began eating them. There were also reports of larger teeth, constant drooling and other such indications. This sparked a debate within the College, though it largely went no where as there were several proponents that declared that this was merely natural monster behavior and there was nothing of interest, but many who argued that this was a clear magical mutation and that we should investigate... And then a similar event happened about three years ago that put that debate to rest... You see, the monster stopped eating adventurers... and started raping them. And the changes was quick, switching from one to another in only about a weeks time. In addition male, or at least heterosexual males, began running into feminine versions of typically masculine monster. Cute goblin girls, female cowgirls with tits out to here... That kind of thing. Obviously such stark changes in such a small time frame could not be a natural change, and obviously some magic, presumably transmutation, was involved."

She pause to allow you to digest this before adding, "Now when I tried to enter, it wasn't long before entire armies of monsters, including the rarest for the level attempted to attack me. To put this in perspective, an early level... boss monster for lack of a better term is a minotaur, almost always found alone... Yet when I entered I ran into thirty seven of them, maybe a hundred orcs, within ten minutes. Now while they are not a threat in and of themselves, they did provide a significant distraction that prevented me from actually researching the dungeon itself. Which indicates to me, along with the... personalizations of the monsters, that there is some level of intelligence behind the dungeon, though I do not know it is integral to the magic behind the dungeons operations, or a controller, perhaps the architect himself... Or perhaps he was 'replaced' which may explain the sudden changes in the monsters. It is hard to say with what we have at this point. Regardless of the source, it does not like incredibly powerful individuals poking around in there, presumably since it views us as a threat to what ever purpose is being served by luring adventurers within the dungeon."
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:23 am

I listened in fascination to Kalia as she explained the nature of the magic dungeon, or at least what people had discovered so far. Something occurred to me as she spoke. The dungeon had changed at least twice that people had noticed. Two theories formed in my head, depending on whether it was the dungeon or some sort of mastermind that was in control. If the dungeon was sentient, then it was likely evolving for some reason. Every time it changed, it would be able to collect a new set of data. That would suggest that it was trying to learn about people through the adventurers that entered and died in there. As for if a mastermind of some sort was involved, then this becomes less likely. While not completely out of the question, there isn't any evidence to suggest why they would keep changing their modus operandi. A person wouldn't really need a dungeon like this to study people. However, Kalia's theory makes more sense in terms of a mastermind. If someone killed the original creator of the dungeon, then maybe the dungeon re purposed itself to fit the desires of it's new master. In this scenario, it's easy to imagine a wizard creating this dungeon for gods know what reason. It would kill off adventurers until only the worthy could reach the end. If then some sort of beast was the one that killed the wizard, that might explain why the monsters simply started eating people. Maybe the current master of the dungeon was some sort of incubus, or maybe just a pervy adventurer. It was pointless to speculate further from that point, though the idea that the dungeon could bend itself to my whims if I beat it was a nice thought. Besides, none of it explained why it even needed adventurers in the first place.

Even so, it was my job to study it as thoroughly as possible. As such, I would need to get prepared and find a base of operations. When Kalia was finished speaking, I asked, "I don't suppose you've been able to discover anything else about the dungeon? If not, then I'd be more than happy to hear where you would like me to get started. No rest for the wicked, as they say. Though, I do suppose I could still use directions to the inn, as well as any other shops and services you believe could benefit me?"
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:40 am

"Nothing about the dungeon itself, however I have discovered a little bit about the teleportation matrix that exists... first off, the spires and the device do not generate the effect, rather they serve as focuses. The device collects the energy from an outsides source, presumably from somewhere within the dungeon, and focuses it into the actual teleportation spell, and while the spires are beacons, that dictate where the spell will take you. As for inns and shops, all the essentials should be along the town square itself. Though if you can't find a place to stay, I have space for you to roll out a mat... It's hardly the most ideal sleeping arrangement but it beats sleeping in an alleyway or within the dungeon itself," She explains, before adding, "Oh, by the way, once you are ready, I have a little something that you can do for me. If you want a room at an inn, best get there first, since they tend to be gone by night fall."
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:05 am

"What might this task be?" I asked, "Depending on how long it might take, I might be able to do it before setting out to the inn. Otherwise, I would gladly be willing to come back after securing my room for the night. I wouldn't want to impose after all."

I say I didn't want to impose, but the truth is that I felt uncomfortable accepting help so easily from people I didn't know. The thought of sleeping on the ground wasn't too appealing either. It didn't help that I had no bedroll to lay out, as it was ruined in my travels. Still, this was one of my master's friends, and I didn't want to seem like I took too much after him. It would also help to hear this task before I set out to explore the square, as I would hate to run around only to be asked to run errands.
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:22 am

"It requires entering the dungeon, so I doubt it will be quick... Doing anything in the dungeon typically isn't so simple," She starts giving you a wry smile, before continuing, "Now, as mentioned, the on going theory is that transmutation magic is being used to change these monsters, hence why I was chosen to come. In order to confirm this I need samples... Something that seems beyond the capabilities of the local adventurers despite their pretenses to professionalism. As it stands, I need three samples from different monsters, blood is typical, but considering the mutations semen might be better and potentially easier to get... preferably, keep them separate. I'll pay you more for that... Oh, did I mention I'm giving you a reward for this? I believe I forgot to mention that. As it is, the most important part is that you keep the resident magic trapped with in the sample... the sticking point for my adventurer... 'friends.' It shouldn't be too hard, as I have appropriate containers." You understand exactly why she was having issues... Magic exist in all living things to some degree, typically referred to as resident magic though the term is not exclusive to that, and by tapping it you can find out more about the creature, however it is very fleeting and will fade when the creature is killed or if the sample in question is removed from the main body... It is fairly straight forward and easy procedure, but one that requires a good bit of understanding on what is going on. In fact, despite being one of the first actual applications of your magic education your master taught you, you studied under him for five years before you could understand what needed to be done.
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:05 am

I blink and blush as I realize what she is asking of me. My skin crawled at the thought of actively letting those creatures have their way with me. I would much rather obtain their blood and be done with it. But as much as I would prefer it, I couldn't deny the truth in her words. Semen would be both more potent, and likely easier to get. As a mage, even one just starting on their career, I knew that I was obligated to at least consider the option. After all, I would have to keep the creatures alive if I wanted any sample at all. Given their non-lethal subduel, I could possible tie one up and stroke it off for my sample. I thought a thousand curses towards my master for this job, but I doubted he would even understand why what he did was wrong. He was so clinical in his research that he likely would be in and out with those samples without ever batting an eye. Perhaps I was simply being squeamish? Either way it wouldn't help to worry about it now. For now, my priority should be lodging. I bid Kalia farewell and promised that I would return in the morning to collect those containers and form a plan. Afterwards, I left the shop to find the inn.
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:56 am

"Very well, I suppose that I've been kept waiting for a couple of years now, another day won't be any worse," She accepts your delay, before stating, "Might as well take the containers right now though, that way you don't have to worry about having to find time between customers... Morning is peek hours for me... Adventurers stocking up for the day and all." She hands over the tubes each with a cork. At first glance they may not seem like much but you notice a subtle enchantment on them that prevents decay of what is stored within as well as a reinforcement so they won't break if dropped... but not much more than that.

Heading on out, you quickly find the inn, The Bleedin' Goblin... Hell it was so obvious you could have found it with at least two other senses from the smell of food, ales, and puke and the rowdy sounds... Still once you enter you hear a bolster voice bellow out, "Welcome! I haven't seen your face around here! A newcomer, hoping for fame and fortunate? Come 'round, and tell 'ld Barris your tale!" The owner of the voice, a man who looks to be in his late forties, early fifties, polishing off a tin beer mug, quickly turns to a couple of ruffians in the corner who are getting ready to start a fight with one another, shouting out in a surprisingly menacing tone for someone so cheerful mere seconds ago, " 'nd you two knock it off before you break something. You remember what happens when someone does that don't you?" The two of them stare at Barris for a moment before drunkenly staggering off, each telling the other how lucky they are and how they were close they were to the ass whooping of a lifetime. His jubilant mood returns as he re-encourages you over, "Don't mind those two. Now where were we? Oh yes, come over, I got an ale on the house for you to wet your whistle while you share your tale!"

Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:49 am

I head on my way to find the inn and secure a room for the night. It doesn't take long to find it either. It was quickly dawning on me that Base Camp was a town of many smells as tell tale signs of a tavern waft by. I choose to follow my nose, electing to ignore the less savory smells in favor of good food and drink. After being on the road for so long, I was looking forward to a warm meal and a cold ale. I open the door and quickly dodge out of the way of a drunkard in the act of passing out. I step around him and make my way to the merry bartender when he starts chewing out a couple more patrons looking to start a fight. Panic started to set in as I viewed people in their element. Longing for the more familiar chaos of master's mansion, I sought refuge at the bar where the large tavern owner could scare away nare-do-wells. Even if I wanted to tell this stranger my tale, I doubt he could hear it over all the racket. Still, with the promise of alcohol to wash away the weariness of travel, I gave it my best shot. As far as I was aware, there was no reason to keep my objectives secret, as the entire town was founded on similar goals. As such, I told them everything I thought would make for a good tale other than my master's name. After all, even if he were interested in such fame, I doubt any who knew his name would be so welcoming to me. Again I felt the need to qualify my thoughts by reminding myself that he was a good man, just not a people person.
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:25 am

As it turns out the barkeep is an effect deterrent as despite getting some obvious looks and even a catcall on your approach, none dared butt in. Despite your initial concerns, Barris seemed to have no problem filtering out the noise, commenting on specifics about your story, revealing that he is a well-traveled individual himself, knowing not only of your hometown, and where your master's mansion was, but also a bit about him and magi in general though not very much on either account, not being of the magical persuasion himself. As for the ale, it is stronger than you expected, not being the common watered down stuff you'd expect to find in an establishment like this, but refreshingly cold and of decent quality. Not of the quality that your master got on the rare occasion he decided to drink, but certainly not bad. "Must say, I'm a bit surprise to see a magic type down here... Usually they like to stick to their own business... though I suppose with Kalia gracing our little town they consider the dungeon their business now. Still, good luck figuring out how that dungeon works... might save a few kids hoping for the quick path to money and glory. Anyways, lass, I'd be imagining you'll be mighty hungry after your trip as well. What can I get for you? On the house for sharing your story."
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:28 pm

"I wouldn't know what to pick," I admitted, not knowing what was available on the menu, "Why don't you pick for me? I'll trust your decision."

I looked around the tavern some more as I nursed my drink. I was clearly out of place among the loud and joyous rabble. Still, a good many of these people were adventurers that were also tackling the dungeon. Maybe I could eavesdrop on some of their drunken stories to learn a little bit more about what I'll be facing. Surely one of them should have a tale of some interest. Still, I should probably look into what I came here for.

I turned back to Barris and said, "I'll also need a room. Are there any available?"
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:54 am

"Aye, lass, I think I know just the thing," Barris flashes you a toothy smile before stepping back a bit, leaning around the corner of a door frame that was behind him, and yelled something. You didn't manage to catch most of it but you are pretty sure you caught the word duck at the very least. After that he adds, "Give 'em ten minutes.""

"Depends if you mind sharing. Private rooms go fast, but I do have some shared rooms with a free bed. Don't worry, I won't shack you up with a drunk or guy," He explains, refilling your cup with another one, before adding, "I think you should make that your last one for the night. Not sure about your tolerance, but rather not risk a hangover on your first day into the dungeon. And finally, three gold for shared room. For future reference the private rooms are five."

At this point a young lady comes out from the back in a fairly revealing dress, though no more than typical for a barmaid, carrying a plate of what appears to be a quarter of a bird, the thighs and leg specifically, set on top a mound of roasted vegetables with of mashed potatoes, with generous amounts of brown gravy poured over both the potatoes and the duck. At Barris's gesture, sets in front of you giving you a very warm smile, "Enjoy ma'am" Before returning from the back, though you managed to catch an exhausted sigh just before she disappears from view.

"The duck special, the dark meat version! Slow roast the duck each morning with herbs and spices slid underneath the skin! The vegetables are roasted for several hours so they melt in your mouth! Handmade mash potatoes and the gravy is my grandma's secret recipe!" Barris loudly boasts, gesturing to the dish for emphasis of each point. Taking a bite you find that everything is incredible rich in flavor and easy to chew. The meat falling off the bone, and the vegetables, as mentioned, practically melt in your mouth. It was quite clear not as 'high class' as the meals you had at your master's house when he had company, but it was no less tasty... a fact you could help but show on your face, and something that caused Barris to grin with satisfaction.
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 am

I nod to Barris as I take another sip from my mug. There was no reason to cause myself any more complications during my adventure. Still, I've always been a bit of a light weight. I could feel a sort of warmth spread throughout my body with every sip. I would have to make this drink my last one for the night. Possibly get a glass of tea and honey to help cut a hangover off at the source.

The idea of sharing a room with a stranger didn't sit well with me. Had I been willing to do that, I would have stayed with Kalia. At least it would have been free. Though I had to admit that three gold wasn't a bad offer. Especially when one considers what Barris could charge to get his share of the dungeon riches. The promise of a bed over sleeping on the floor didn't hurt.

My food interrupted my thoughts, carried in by a fetching blonde lass. Her dress, while not indecent, was still revealing enough to be eye catching. She clearly was getting many lewd stares from the rowdy patrons, and I tried my best to not be one of them. It occurred to me that many of the people of Base Camp had been fairly attractive. Even Barris, while twice my age, seems to have aged better than most. The barmaid bent over to set my plate down, giving me a better view of her cleavage than she probably intended. I blushed as she smiled at me and walked away.

In order to hide my embarrassment, I tucked into my meal as Barris gave me the rundown of what was in it. As soon as my tongue tasted its first bite, my dignity was quickly replaced by my appetite, which had grown drastically thanks to my travels. I began to ravenously wolf down the meat and veggies with a look of pure joy on my face. Hunger aside, I could easily tell that this meal was crafted as well as, if not better than, the fine dining to which I had become accustomed.

"Barris," I mumbled through a mouthful of mashed potatoes, "both you and your grandma are brilliant. On the day I head back home, I fully intend to take you with me."

I continued to gobble down my meal until the plate was clean. Stuffed, tipsy and satisfied, I let out a contented sigh before resting my head on the cool bar counter. Once I was ready, I excused myself from my seat. I paid Barris five gold. Three for the room and two as tip for the food and drink. Once I knew where my room was I gathered my things and prepared to enter.
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:43 am

While she seems to not notice or care, Barris obviously catches you failing not to ogle the barmaid and give a hearty laugh, stating, "I'd keep your hands to yourself with that one! I remember one time someone cooped a feel, and by the time I turned to yell at 'im, she'd broke a table with his face... Tried to keep her in the back since then. Still better than her mother, who'd stick you with a knife! ... As I found out a couple of times me-self."

As you praise his cooking he lets out another hearty laugh, "That'd be an impressive trick to see! But I suppose you magic types always busy yourselves with doing the inconceivable! I'll be waiting with baited breath to find out how you plan to pull that one off!"

Scooping up the coins with a smile, Barris replaces them with a key, giving you brief directions before bidding you goodnight. After a quick walk up the stairs you find the appropriate door and unlock. Unfortunately it looks like the other bed was already taken. A young fairly petite lady slightly shorter than you with short dark hair. From her clothes you can tell she was decently off, no noble, but clearly not a serf either, likely being a merchant daughter, unless she's be adventuring for several years considering the wear. Either way she turns up from her bag she was rummaging around in, before nodding, "I guess you'll be my roommate for the night. Elisa Rose, a pleasure to meet you!"

Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:25 pm

On my way to my room, I was still moping about how I got caught ogling the barmaid. I really had tried to be better than the other drunks. Still, part of my studies had included a scientific appreciation for the human body in all it's forms. I guess in my seclusion it had turned into a more general appreciation. I tried to push the thoughts from my mind as I went into my room.

Inside I was met with another cute girl, as I cursed my fate and my liqueur. It looked like she had just started settling in herself when I had barged in. She looked up and introduced herself as I sized her up. Judging from her clothes she was likely an experienced adventurer, as I couldn't think of why someone born into money would risk the dungeon. Although I suppose I couldn't be sure. My first impression of her was that she was nice enough, though that could be attributed to me being tipsy and in a good mood.

"My name is Willow Gale," I replied, "please don't let me disturb you." I wasn't yet sure how to act around her, so I kept my comments brief. I didn't even know how to invest my time in her. I would probably be seeing Barris and Kalia often, so I made sure to mind my manners. A task I was admittedly not used to. While I was likely to only room with her for the one night, I still wanted to make sure that I caused no unpleasantness that could back to haunt me. The last thing I wanted right now was upset someone and make an enemy.

I moved to my bed and started to unpack my things. I only set out the clothes I intended to wear the next day, as I planned on changing rooms when a private one became available. I then checked out the window. If there was enough light, I had wanted to look at some of the shops and see if I could by a book on magical theory. I might as well keep studying when I had the free time. And who knows, I might be able to find a decent tale of heroes and their struggles. I always loved the stories of old.
devilbird

Postby Sallin_Kari » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:37 am

"Well met! And don't worry, I was just keeping stock of my supplies. Would be terrible to run out in the middle of a dungeon crawl," She laughs light-heartedly, dismissing your concerns about interrupting her with a wave of her hands before pausing for a moment. As you glance out the window you realize that the sun was setting so you had at most half an hour of light left in the day, though with the approaching winter equinox, most people would still be up for a few more hours despite the dark. After it became clear that you are done talking, she takes up the slack of keeping this conversation going, "So, I'm assuming you're here for the dungeon like everyone else is... What's your specializations?"
Sallin_Kari

Postby devilbird » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:26 pm

I was more than a little disappointed to see that it was getting dark. While I was sure the shops would be open for awhile yet, I had no desire to wander around a strange town in the dark. While I was sure that I wouldn't be molested, as anyone looking for sex could simply head to the dungeon at any time, that fact didn't exactly prevent me from getting robbed. With as much gold and treasure coming out of the dungeon as there was, I wouldn't be surprised if there were many people looking to simply claim their riches off a weak and weary adventurer rather than risking the dungeon themselves. The last thing I wanted was to start my investigation with no supplies or resources. Unfortunately that left me to stay here and make conversation with a talkative stranger.

"I'm a wizard, of sorts," I told her, not wanting to admit I was still in training, "I've been sent here to discover the inner workings of the dungeon, yes. With it's peculiar behavior and recent changes, there are some that wish to uncover how it functions. There is also the mystery of why it keeps supplying riches to invite adventurers such as yourself to enter. Most dungeons are meant to protect their secrets and wealth from outsiders after all."
devilbird

Next

Return to Private Games