Tainted Princess: The Desert Lion (Firehead)

Forum for publicly viewable but closed-group role-playing.

Re: Tainted Princess: The Desert Lion (Firehead)

Postby Mark3000 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:16 am

You look through the journal looking for anything on the armlet. But what you find are mostly entries from the paladins stationed here. It seems like the men and women who guarded the treasure at the top agreed to stand watch even in death. Once entry does mention the armlet and describes a beautiful red gem. It seemed to be a parting gift from one of the guard's fiancee. The gem is said to bring good luck to all who wear it. Though it's location now is anyone's guess.

With a destination set, you use the key to explore one of the remaining rooms. When you open up you see a decrepit zombie wearing merchant robes. "Wait Wait! I know what you're thinking. But I'm not a fighter, I'm just here looking to make a bit of coin. Oh and watch over that." Behind the zombie merchant and his goods was what looked like a shaft leading downward.
Mark3000

Postby Firehead » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Aisha looked through the journals. It seemed the skeletons she was facing had somehow cursed themselves into guarding this place. It seemed very odd indeed for someone to have such resolve to accomplish something that even death cannot stop them. She did finally find some reference to the stone though she only learned it was red and supposedly good luck. Closing the journal she set it aside and continued on.

Seeing the zombie she quickly draws her blade expecting a fight only to find the thing could actually speak. She sheathed her blade but remained tense and prepared to draw at a moments notice. Even with her caution, she couldn't pass up the chance to learn more about this tower from someone who's been in it for who knows how long. First though, she had some other questions. "Coin, huh. What need do you, dead and remaining in this tower, have for money?" Her eyes cast over the shaft in the back of the room. "And where does that lead exactly?"
Firehead

Postby Mark3000 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:03 pm

The dried-up zombie wiggled in his seat. "You'll find the the dead don't give up their old habits easy. Plus there are still people that need the money outside the tower." He says with his twisted jaw.

When you point out the shaft behind, he scratches his head. "Oh yea, defeated maidens get thrown down the shaft to the basement floors. Under the tower, they're left to be ravaged by whatever's down there." He adds, tapping the floor. "Now are you gonna by something or what?" Looking at the merchant's wares, you see various potions, Items and other tools. All you'd have to do is ask and he'd probably have it. Looking into you own pouch, you notice about 50 coins at your disposal.
Mark3000

Postby Firehead » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Aisha quirked an eyebrow at the zombie. "You make it sound as if it is easy to find people willing to deal in trade with the deceased. I'm not sure I'd even be considering it if I wasn't in this strange tower and already in need of supplies." She considered the hole some more. If they were throwing defeated maidens down there it could be a useful way to find an ally, but there were too many variables. Would she find any defeated that would still be in condition to continue on? Where would she land, and how hard would it be to find her way back here? She decided against it but perhaps she'd reconsider once she had her prize from the top of the tower. If one maiden with one of the weapons could defeat Lucien, two maidens each carrying one would be even better.

Looking over the offered goods she made sure to keep her eye out for any red gemstones. It was a longshot, but it was possibly in this zombie's possession. She'd also want to check his prices on Healing Potions and Energy Grass as a few extra stored up could help in any future emergencies. "Would you have anything for helping a nimble warrior capitalize on avoiding enemy attacks?"
Firehead

Postby Mark3000 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:01 am

You look through his wares and don't see the red gemstone mentioned in the journal. You see a few Healing Potions and Energy Grass on display. Both seemed to cost 5 coins each. When you ask for something to make you more nimble, the undead merchant reaches into his travel pack. "I think I have just the thing Missy." He says as he pulls out a pair of white sandals. "Don't let the simpleness fool you. These sandals will make you as light as a feather. I'll give em to you for 25 Coins." (White Sandals, +1 Evasion)
Mark3000

Postby Firehead » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:29 pm

Aisha looked over the goods. No luck on the gem, but that had been a long shot anyway, so she wasn't too surprised. She looked at the sandals and decided to take them. It would be worth it, but it did take half her coin by itself. She decided to grab one more energy grass and pocket the remaining 20 coins. Standing up, Aisha slipped the sandals on and gave the undead a nod. "Thank you for your business."

Turning around she left the room with the strange undead. Entering the hallway once more, Aisha moved to the last door in the hall. Quietly, she'd open the door just a crack and peak through.
Firehead

Postby Mark3000 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:35 am

The undead merchant counts his coins and nod. "Pleasure doing business with ya. Best of luck with the next floors. That's were the trials get more intense." He says through his rotting mouth.

Spot Check [Wis, Average]: 5 + 2 = 7

You peek in but can't see anything through the darkness of the room. At the very least, nothing is attacking you. You do notice something twinkling in the back of the room. It was round solid looking. But that's all you could make out.
Mark3000

Postby Firehead » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:00 am

Aisha gave her farewell to the merchant. She'd expected the higher levels would get more dangerous, so she didn't see much point in his advice. Still, there was little reason to reprimand him for giving out advice anyway.

Looking into the room, She sees that it is another dark room. She doesn't see much this time, but at least she isn't under attack. Something does catch her eye in the back of the room, so she steps in to get a closer look. She'd already cleared the rest of the floor, so she left the door out into the hall open for the light it would provide.
Firehead

Postby Mark3000 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:22 pm

You enter the room to get a better look at the object. Using the light from the doorway, you make out the object to be a large silver shield. On the front was the paladin's crest which you saw before. But up close, you could tell this shield had seen better days. It was cracks, dented and misshapen. The room itself was a complete mess, most likely due to a fight with a previous adventurer. The only thing of value was the shield.
Mark3000

Postby Firehead » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:03 pm

Aisha slowly entered the dark room lit only by the open door. Getting closer her eyes fell on the shield which carried the familiar emblem of the paladins. The shield was in poor condition even if it looked clearly better than anything else left in the room from whatever fight had occurred in here.

Aisha took the shield from where it was hanging and tested its weight. It was certainly better than nothing and might even save her skin at some point, so she decided to take it just in case. Hanging it on her back, Aisha walked back out into the hall. She'd check out all of the rooms now. The barrier blocking the way up was all that seemed to be left.
Firehead

Postby Mark3000 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:29 pm

With the keys you picked up in one of the rooms, the barrier dropped as you proceed to the next floor.

As you ascend the tower, the hallway widens. Soon you reach a a large door. Pushing through the entrance, you enter a large chamber. The room was lit by candles lit by eerie blue flame. In the centre of the room was a large suit of armor with a skeleton inside. As you approach, the eyes begin to glow red. The armor shifts as it stands up. "State your purpose her tainted one!" the undead warrior said in a booming voice.
Mark3000

Postby Firehead » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Aisha carefully made her way up the stairs to the next floor where she found another skeleton, but this one was by far more heavily armored. Clearly, a step above the rest the strange candles made it clear this one was of great importance. He was also the first to not immediately charge in to fight her instead, asking her purpose.

She gave it a brief glance. "I'm here for the weapon atop this tower to assist in my fight against Lucien." She slips into a combat ready stance but doesn't draw her weapon. "I take it you're here to make certain I'm worthy of that prize."
Firehead

Postby Mark3000 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:42 pm

"Indeed" The Giant guardian says as it stands to attention. The undead fighter towered over you with his giant great-sword. "My name is Malik and I will allow you to pass if you answer three riddles." He says as he adjusts his helm. "First Riddle! How many seconds are there in one year?" Malik says. You can here him let out a small chuckle.
Mark3000

Postby Firehead » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:32 pm

Aisha was caught by surprise when the giant guardian in armor with a large weapon proposed a series of riddles to test her instead of battle. "Wha?" She listened to the first riddle confused. How could she be expected to just know that? No, he said this was a riddle, so there was likely some trickery to the question. Perhaps a less obvious meaning for one of the words? Then it dawned on her. "Twenty-four, the second and twenty-second of each month."
Firehead

Postby Mark3000 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:36 pm

The giant armored warrior taps his sword on the ground. "Correct! You would be surprised by how many are tripped up by this first riddle." He says with a small chuckle. "Well then, on the the second riddle. What has a heart ... But no other Organs!" He says, seeming confident in the riddle's difficulty.
Mark3000

Postby Firehead » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:26 pm

"I almost didn't get it myself." She listened to the next riddle and found herself pretty sure she had this one. No animal would be able to fit that description. "I believe Artichokes have a part they call a heart."
Firehead

Postby Mark3000 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:19 am

"Ha! Looks like your luck has run out. The answer was a deck of cards. How has even heard of an Artichoke Heart." The large riddler says as he laughs. Though as he prepares to laugh, another skeleton warrior comes down the stairs. Pulling on the riddler's leg, the new arrival whispers into his ear.

The Riddler coughs and adjusts his breast plate. "Well it appears likes you were correct Marked One. It seems like even an old pile of bones like me can learn something new."

"When then, answer this final riddle and I'll let you past. I'll even answer any question you have regarding the weapon or our order of paladins." He says with a pause. "This old one runs forever, but never moves at all. He has not lungs nor throat, but still a mighty roaring call. What is it?"
Mark3000

Postby Firehead » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:35 am

Aisha found herself dismayed that she'd been wrong. What would that mean for her? Hopefully, she'd have the chance to fight for her right to pass, but before she could ask another skeleton came down to confirm her alternative answer. "I see, I'm glad my answer was accepted though I'm embarrassed I didn't think of the deck of cards either."

She listened to his last riddle. She was about to answer river but second guessed the roaring part. She was sure she was close, then it hit her. "A waterfall?"
Firehead

Postby Mark3000 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:05 am

The Riddler let out a mighty laugh as he tapped his sword on the ground. "Correct! Well done little one. I must admit I was tiring of having to small all the maidens that failed these riddles." As his posture relaxed, the Guardian skeleton sits down and crosses it's bony legs. "You may pass. And as a bonus reward, I will answer any questions you have about us or the tower. But I must warn you even my knowledge is limited."
Mark3000

Postby Firehead » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:34 pm

Aisha let out a sigh of relief at having passed and gave the skeleton a nod. "Thank you, I do have one question. I was told Lucien came here to get Maidens who fail the trials here. Why do you allow him to take those women who fail going up your side? I would think you'd prefer we didn't wind up falling into Lucien's clutches"
Firehead

PreviousNext

Return to Private Games