Peril in the Forests (Kuragari+Alaena)

Forum for publicly viewable but closed-group role-playing.

Peril in the Forests (Kuragari+Alaena)

Postby Alaena » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Background
Auranthia is a mostly forest-covered kingdom ruled by an elven mage council from the capitol city of Auranth. Magic is the most prized and desired power of the land. This has put the kingdom on top culturally, militarily, and economically. They have long been the object of envy for most of the known world. However, the balance of power is changing. A spell plague has struck the world. Wizards attempting to cast simple light spells have summoned demons, or wizards attempting shield themselves from harm have been launched 500 ft in the air. It has all but crippled trade and infrastructure throughout the kingdom. It has also left their military and borders incredibly vulnerable due to their dependency on magic. This isn't the worst problem to strike at the height of their hubris.

The forested countryside is being destroyed. An orc warlord named Wrask, who the kingdom has long hunted, has taken this opportunity to rally the orc tribes in the desert to the south and his forces now number in the tens of thousands. The mage council's reaction was to send the main army of twenty thousand to strike him before he entered the forest - only a few hundred elven warriors returned. Now, the council has withdrawn all forces to protect the capitol and Wrask has set the countryside aflame, burning and pillaging towns as he goes. He goes as far as to destroy the arcane prison of Vannis-Tethis, unleashing all sorts of powerful dark wizards set on revenge against Auranthia, including a cabal of necromancers that have begun raising the dead. To top it off, the dark creatures summoned from wizard miscasts are terrorizing the elves still trying to survive outside of the capitol. Bandits and goblins have also taken this opportunity to take and loot everything in sight.

The culmination of these problems all seem to share one commonality: rape and cross-breeding.

The demons created by miscasts seem to be sexually charged in ways the mage council has never seen before. Wrask is taking elven women for his warriors and killing the men. The bandits have been doing the same and selling the women across the sea into slavery once they've had their fun. Most frightening of all, the undead and fiendish plants being corrupted by the necromancers seem to be able to cross-breed with the living and create even more dangerous hybrids.

Main Character (Kuragari)
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Name: Elaina Stalet
Race: Elf
Appearance:Image
Height is about 5'6"
Specialty/Career: Rogue
Character personality: Mischievious, but has a bad temper. She's also used to doing things as she prefers, and thus is not very submissive to others.
Biography: Elaina is a child of the forest, growing up with various hunters, wanderers, and lastly a band of brigands that had a tendency to harass the Kingdoms caravans. She wasn't a big fan of raiding those who were good people, but considering that some of the various lords and mages and such were corrupt, she didn't mind targeting them.

However, when the magic plague began to spread, resulting in a downward spiral for the Kingdom, Elaina left the brigands, especially when they started capturing women and using them as sex toys before selling them. Of course, not after ensuring none of the brigands could do any more harm.

Now she has decided to try and hunt down what's causing the problem. Though she has no love for the mages, she has no love of the orcs and such laying waste to the kingdom she calls home and doing damage to its good people. A tiny part of her hopes that perhaps if she can stop everything, maybe she can help bring change to the Kingdom.
Attributes
36 points to spend, -5 = worst, 5 = prodigious

Str 0
Dex 4
Con -1
Int 0
Wis 0
Cha 3

Character Skills: Choose 5 if skill-reliant career (Rogues, bards, assassins), 3 if slightly skill reliant (Martial jobs: knight, warrior), 1 if spell-reliant career (wizards, clerics, sorcerers, priestesses). Examples: Acrobat, Athlete, Well Read (Book knowledge like history), etc.

Athlete-Her life in the forest and as a rogue has helped make her athletic.
Stealth- Working as a brigand has forced her to learn how to hide when others are trying to find her.
Aimed Shot-A life in the woods requires one to be skilled at hunting, if one intends to have a varied diet. Elaina has become adept at aiming her shots for maximum effect
Deft Hands- Elaina is good at getting her hands into places people don't notice
Forest Smart-Living in the forest for so long, Elaina has extensive knowledge of how to operate in a forest.

Analura
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Name: Analura
Race: Elf
Appearance: Image
Height 5'5
Specialty/Career: Sorceress
Character personality: She's very positive, upbeat, and generally enjoys meeting new people. She's fresh out of the Sorcerer's Academy, now that it's been closed down indefinitely, and seems eager to explore the world. She's also a bit naive and too trusting. She specializes in summoning and monster magic.
Biography: She refuses to speak about her past other than she was at the Sorcerer's Academy, generally only nobles or incredibly talented magic users are admitted. It's only known that she met Elaina when Elaina freed her before the bandits could take advantage of her and has been following her as a friend since.
Attributes
-5 = worst, 5 = prodigious

Str -4 (Physical muscle strength)
Dex 1 (Hand-eye coordination, agility)
Con -1 (Toughness, resistance to poison/toxins)
Int -1 (Problem solving, use of logic, book knowledge, wizards use it for spell casting)
Wis -2 (Willpower, resistance to seduction/compulsion, used by clerics/priestesses for spell casting)
Cha 5 (Likability, social prowess, overall attractiveness, used by sorcerers for spell casting)

Character Skills: Courtly Knowledge (Includes knowledge of the kingdom, including geography, and knowledge regarding nobility)

Spells: Minor Spells
1. Summon Monster
2. Polymorph
3. Enchant Monster
4. Magic Missile
5. Dominate Monster

Introduction

Your search for the source of the spell plague leads you to a town called Velmira near the border of Wrask's Orc Warhost, but it's a necessary risk. You heard the wizard who first reported the spell plague, who is also the mage commissioned to solve the problem, had returned to his family after giving up. Whatever leads were to be followed, you think he might have had some before abandoning his duty. You figure you might run into some scouts and hopefully with Analura's help, you could handle it. She is a sorceress and her light-hearted, eager, and upbeat attitude is refreshing for the long journey at hand. Even though her magic doesn't usually work right, she takes the risk for the both of you and still ends up being at least a little bit helpful in a fight as she has some skill with a bow, but not nearly as accurate as you.

The town seems to still be in one piece as you approach it. The houses are built into hollowed out trees in normal elven fashion and most of the greenery still seems intact, untouched by the torches of the Orcs or the decay of the infamous necromancers. However, as you get closer, something seems off. It's the middle of the day and you don't see anyone moving around or working in the town. The silence is a bit nerve wracking as well. You notice almost two-dozen tree-dwellings and some empty stalls erected in the center, and even though their wares have been put out, you see no vendors. You see some signs of possibly a struggle, but none of battle, and surely a whole town couldn't be... kidnapped? without a battle.
"There is a strange aura in this town. I can't quite identify what it is, but it is magical in nature, Elaina. Some powerful magic has been used here recently."
She puts her hand on the ground, running her fingers through the dirt, looking at the nearby tree-dwellings with an intense gaze.
"Nope. I have no idea what kind of magic it could be, nothing seen at the academy. You still want to look for that wizard... what's his name... Alugen?"
Alaena

Re: Peril in the Forests (Kuragari+Alaena)

Postby Kuragari » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:38 pm

Elaina knew that being this close to the frontlines was risky, but she had already figured risk would be involved in this quest. In so here she is in Velmira, looking for one of the wizards tasked with finding the source of the plague. She couldn't think of any better place to start, even if he ended up not being of much help. Though the same was not true for her new friend, Analura. Despite her magic not always cooperating, and despite Elaina not exactly trusting mages, she has shown a willingness to help. And...having a friendly face along for this journey is itself a boon.

Entering the village however, something was off. No one was about, not a soul. And in fact...she didn't hear any animals or other sounds in the forest either.

"Yes, that's the name. And let's be quick about it, things aren't right here."
Kuragari

Postby Alaena » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:54 pm

Analura points. "Let's start with the tallest tree in the back. A highbrow mage like that living in a town like this ought to be the wealthiest man here."

The two of you quickly walk into the only part of the town not covered in undergrowth, the town center that seems to be hedged regularly, where several vendors had setup, but is now empty of elves. Continuing on the path ahead seems to lead you to the incredibly tall tree, but from here it branches if you choose not to go that way. To your left, you see several tree-dwellings, all with their doors open, and to your right you see a large burrow den with a single ornate door, perhaps an alchemy lab or a mage's library, though it'd be rather large for the former and rather small for the latter. However, some chewing noises catch your attention and behind one of the vendor stalls, you see a single 3ft tall goblin devouring a basket of fruit hungrily. Analura holds her ground, waiting to see what you want to do first; while you're not submissive by nature, you noticed she's quite the opposite and generally waits for you to act first.
Alaena

Postby Kuragari » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:26 pm

Elaina glanced at the various houses, finding it to be very odd that everyone had vanished. The center of town, that should have been bustling, showed no activity. However, as Elaina glanced at the branching paths, she suddenly wondered if the largest tree would be the home of the wizard they were looking for. Perhaps that den was where he lived...if nothing else, both places would be worth checking out.

However, the sound of someone eating reached her ears, and she spun around, arrow being pulled out of her quiver as she notched it and aimed at the source-a goblin. Elaina was not a fan of goblins, seeing them as being little better than orcs. The only reason she didn't hate them as much was merely because they were smaller.

"You there! Stay right where you are if you don't want in arrow sticking through your head." She said, slowly approaching the goblin, not lowering her weapon.
Kuragari

Postby Alaena » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:32 pm

The goblin turned around and lets out a fright yelp, falling backwards on its rump.
"I don't mean no harm elf-lady. Food was jus' sittin' here, lookin' all tasty like."
The goblin kind of twiddles its fingers casually. It was just wearing some ragged leathers and it didn't look like it had any weapons on it, though goblins are known for being quite sneaky and mischievous.
"I think he's just scavenging here, Elaina. He's not hurting anybody, are you little guy?"
He nods really quickly, "Yea, I'm just takin' things that don't have no owners."
Alaena

Postby Kuragari » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:39 pm

"These things have owners...or at least, they should." Elaina says, still casting her eyes about her every now and then. "This place should be bustling with people, yet no one is here." She glares at the goblin, a thought entering her head. "You wouldn't...by any chance have seen what happened here, did you?"
Kuragari

Postby Alaena » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:45 pm

The goblin slowly turns, assuming you won't kill him now, and goes back to eating the basket of fruit, which includes mostly apples, as he speaks.
"Well, I came 'round the hill up there and saw a town and thought for sure some knife ear.. I mean, elfie would see me and stick me head on a pike but then I noticed there ain't no one 'round, so I started to poke around and the first thing that caught me eye was this fruit and I ain't eaten for days and..." The goblin rambles on for a few more minutes, talking about how hard things have been for him in the forest since the goblins kicked him out of their tribe, mostly babbling and ranting, until you hear one detail catch your attention.
"...and then I saw this fellow in magicky robes point at me and a bolt of lightning came out. I made sure ne'er go near that big tree again, no way."
Alaena

Postby Kuragari » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Well, that answered the question about where the mage was. The Goblin had at least been useful for that purpose. "Hmph...well, as long as you stick to eating, I won't end you." She said, lowering her bow as she put the arrow back in her quiver. She then turned towards the big tree, glaring at it as she tried to see if she could spot anything.

"Let's go pay the mage a visit." She declared as she started stalking towards it.
Kuragari

Postby Alaena » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:57 pm

"Alrighty, let's go!" Analura struggles to keep up with you, but she doesn't complain. She never complains for herself.
When you reach the base of the tree, you can truly appreciate it's size now, possibly 100 feet tall and incredibly thick. The door itself is wide and ornate, with gold carvings of centaurs, nymphs, treants, and other forest creatures. There is a small window on the door, but for some reason, you can't see through it yourself, possibly due to some kind of magic. You see only a single balcony near the top of the tree, providing anyone standing on an overview of the entire area.
"I wonder what made him give up," says Analura.
Alaena

Postby Kuragari » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Elania grunted, muttering "He was probably one of those wizards who didn't actually know much about magic, and simply got to his position through favors and illegal dealings. Now, let's see if we can figure out how to get in."

She approached the door, looking for any discernible locking mechanisms. "You sense any magic in it?"
Kuragari

Postby Alaena » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:12 pm

You see Analura's eyes glow and she stares at the door intently, running her soft hands over the wood. Another sign of someone who led an easy, mage's life. The door has a lock, but it seems unlocked if you try to turn the knob.
"Only traces. There seems to traces of some powerful spell all over the town; one, single, powerful spell. After you!" she smacks your butt.
Alaena

Postby Kuragari » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:25 pm

Elaina lets out a surprised yelp at your smack on her ass, blushing as she fumbles for the door knob. While she normally would have giggled and returned the favor, this wasn't the brigand camp before everything went to hell. She barely knew Analura!

"R-Right then. Let's go in and flush us out a mage." She said, notching an arrow into her bow as she opened the door and stepped in, glancing about.
Kuragari

Postby Alaena » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:36 pm

You see a very cluttered common area. You see several tables with book and parchment strewn across the room. There are bookshelves, but it looks like whatever books were on them were used and left out, adding to the mess before you. There seems to be a single window at the back of the room, letting in the only other light aside from what you allowed in through the doorway. A single spiral staircase to your right seems to lead farther up the tree-dwelling. Analura steps in right after you do and begins picking up books to look at the titles and so quickly skimming the parchments that writing on them.
"It looks like he was doing a lot of research into some school of arcane magic I don't know. Some kind of... obscure magic." She quickly puts the parchment down, realizing she was being incredibly rude to their house's owner. "I guess up we go?"
Alaena

Postby Kuragari » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:42 pm

Elaina left research to Analura, since she was a sorcerer and knew more about magic than she did. Instead, she moved towards the staircase and looked up, pointing her weapon up in preparation. "Without a doubt. Keep an eye out though."
Kuragari

Postby Alaena » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:50 pm

The staircase seems to go on for quite awhile. You walk by a room every flight or so. The staircase itself is very narrow, definitely meant for the slender forms of elves. The first room seems to be a guest room, the next flight leads you to an additional library, the next room is a completely empty alchemy lab, and other rooms necessary to a mage's dwelling. You finally reach the top and the door is wide open. It seems to be the master bedroom connected the balcony you saw from below and you see an old elf in faded blue robes standing at the balcony.
"It's about time you got up here. That goblin was so noisy, babbling like his life was in danger. Maybe it was." He turns to face you and you see an incredibly weathered and creased looking old elf. "I am Alugen, former magister of internal affairs, but of course you know that if you came straight for my dwelling"
Analura quickly steps forward and does a deep bow. "I am Analura, newly made sorceress. It is a pleasure to meet you, magister."
"Former magister, girl. Don't bow to me."
Alaena

Postby Kuragari » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:59 pm

Elaina glanced at the mage, trying to keep a neutral expression on her face as she kept the bow aimed in his general direction, but not directly at him. "Yes, we came looking for you. We're here for information about the magic plague...though I'd be more than interested to hear what you may know in regards to what's happened here. Where is everyone?" She can't help but allow a bit of venom to slip into the last line.
Kuragari

Postby Alaena » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:06 pm

"The mage council told me they would do whatever it took to cure the spell plague and we had very few options. The one I suggested was apparently "improbable" to them and they insisted there was "another way," and they assigned another magister to the job. He's dead now, killed by Wrask and his head put on a pike. Now the mage council is just concerned with saving themselves, so I came back home and tried to get my family out. But, I found another solution. It was so simple. So easy. All it required was sacrifice, the needs of the many outweight the needs of the few no?"
Analura perks up, "Sir, I believe she asked you a question. Where are they?"
A sudden anger erupts out of him. "Sacrifice! It required just a simple sacrifice, but it wasn't enough. 100 souls only powered a major incantation, not the legendary casting I required that must need tens of thousands. So maybe the first solution I suggested to those fools is the only way." He walks back to the balcony, looking over the forest and lets out a long sigh.
Alaena

Postby Kuragari » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:22 pm

Elaina felt her heart stop when she heard what he had said. This man...this pathetic excuse for a living being...had sacrificed an entire village just to save his kin?! She felt her anger boiling up, and she was barely restraining herself from putting in arrow in his back.

"You...You mean to tell me that you took the lives of everyone in this village...just to save your OWN family?! What about them!? Did you bother to think of them!" She felt her lips curl into a snarl as she raised her bow, ready to unleash death upon him as she said "People like you should never have been given the gift of magic..."
Kuragari

Postby Alaena » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:29 pm

Analura, speechless, sits down on a nearby chair, seemingly in shock.
"No, I paid my dues too, don't you dare judge me. My family... was part of this spell too. Even giving everything I could possibly give, I still couldn't remove the plague. Even Necromancy, long forbidden in this land, couldn't give me my answer without a much larger sacrifice, one I no longer have the authority to authorize" He turns back to you again shaking his fist, as his voice raises again. "I was playing for the end game, you whelp. I was sacrificing ants to save the entire species. This spell plague is much greater a threat than anyone imagines. It threatens to tear a gateway into the Nine Hells and the Plane of Shadow, allowing undead and demons to walk freely into our realm. It's also... changing creatures, sexually charging them, but that's another story altogether. I feel you intend to kill me and if you do so, I suggest you first ask what you came here to ask." His calm has suddenly returned.
Alaena

Postby Kuragari » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Elaina lowers the bow, but her glare and hate do not fade...well, the hate doesn't, not all the way. "So not only did you delve into illegal magic...you did so in vain?!" She stomps forward, anger welling up in her as she said "Did any of these people deserve to die, even for the good of everyone? Doesn't killing one innocent undue any good deed your seeking to perform!?" She stalked over to him, getting nearly in his face as she yelled out "Has it ever crossed any of your minds that this plague is a divine curse upon your rule, for all the ill you've done?!"

She let out a grunt as she stomped away, her anger dying somewhat as she said "You could have at least used it for something more useful...the plague may be a threat, but it seems to be taking its time. The Orcs on the other hand..."

Again, she harrumphs, muttering to herself but still loud enough to be heard "I suppose they'd thank you if they could, supposing whatever horrid fate you sentenced them too isn't worse than what the Orcs had in store for them." She idly looked around, wondering if there was anything strong to drink around abouts. The only time she could be her happy, silly self these days was when she was drunk.

"Analura, ask him your questions. Your the one who knows this stuff." She said, plopping herself in a chair nearby and staring almost vacantly at the wall.
Kuragari

Next

Return to Private Games