Skies of Evalon [kermitphrogg114]

Forum for publicly viewable but closed-group role-playing.

Re: Skies of Evalon [kermitphrogg114]

Postby Kuragari » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:09 am

Seirei mumbles a bit cutely again as you lay her on down, while a glance outside shows that its closer to midday now as your ship sails through relatively clear skies, only the occasional cloud dotting the sky this fine day. Already though a part of you felt like you could use a rest after so much naughty fun, something you hadn't been expecting to engage in this much. At least, not this early in things anyways.

Kuragari

Postby kermitphrogg114 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:40 pm

As I lay Seirei down to rest, I notice the position of the sun and the weather outside. We should be approaching the tower, I realize, so I go to talk to the First Mate again.

"First Mate, how far are we from our current destination?" I ask.
kermitphrogg114

Postby Kuragari » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:27 pm

You're about to say that of course, but then have to smack your head a bit. Its only been a day, and you're not making for the tower yet. You're heading for the island of Lorcas to start checking areas there. And that would still be two or three days. The tower library island was somewhere on this side of the Maelstrom, but that could mean anywhere along its edge or a bit further into it but far enough away from the center to not be smack dab in the middle of it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Natalie only mentioned the tower's existence, not a specific location for it. If you want you could change course to start looking for it.
Kuragari

Postby kermitphrogg114 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:32 pm

I groan. Apparently, I'm a bit overly eager to get there already. I just say inquire about our status, and tell her to keep up the good work.

Best to go around the ship some more, check the crew. I decide to check out the armory.
kermitphrogg114

Postby Kuragari » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:10 am

Doing a short timeskip

The armory was doing fine, with Mathers having things well in hand. He did stare at your chest and ass a bit, but didn't seem to be in a mood to try and push for anything naughty. Or maybe Klaire had gone around informing people she needed you well rested for her testing tomorrow.

The rest of the crew is likewise settling in, with everyone going about their job even if they're a bit randier with you and each other than you had expected. But then again, given what you'd read in your parent's jounral, maybe this wasn't as surprising a turn of events as you thought.

You wind up spending much of the rest of the day trying to look for anything else of note in your parents journals and books as well as others on the Maelstrom itself, but your mind wanders a bit here and there at times, wondering just what adventures you yourself will have out here in the skies.

As the sun sets and the crew mostly begins readying for the night however, the little talking tube that comes from the crows nest rattles. Heading over, you hear Zeeva say, "Cap'n, I think we got a ship shadowing us. Might wanna come up and have a look with me."

Kuragari

Postby kermitphrogg114 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:03 pm

"Depends, are you dressed properly?" I tease her. Nonetheless, I climb up the rigging to get to the lookout's nest.

"What is it, Zeeva?" I ask, trying to sound authoritative and slightly annoyed at being called up.
kermitphrogg114

Postby Kuragari » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:44 am

"Nope!" Was the rather chipper reply, and unsurprisingly when you got to the top she still wasn't wearing much, though she did have a cloak on now to help ward a bit against the cool night wind. She handed you a telescope and pointed towards a bank of clouds nearby as she said, "Would have called sooner, but when I first spotted them, I just figured they were a ship just going the same general direction we were. But the instant we started turning a bit more south to make for our destination, it followed."

Looking through, you can partially see the outline of a tortoise type ship, the kinds who were shaped more like a tortoise shell. They were also usually slower and sturdier than most ships, and were used by merchants and pirates alike. You can't see a flag of any kind, but it does seem to be on a parallel course with your own.
Kuragari

Postby kermitphrogg114 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:24 pm

I take the telescope and follow Zeeva's finger. I notice a tortoise ariship. It also seemed to be moving faster than a tortoise ship would.

"Keep your eye on that ship," I tell her. "I'm going down to prepare."

Going down the rigging as quickly as I can, I go and find the crew, and issue orders to be ready. So far, nothing's happened, but we needed to prepare, just in case. The aft gun needed to be prepped but not armed, and the crew ready to engage in evasive maneuvers. I also inform the engine room to keep the engine ready. All the while, awaiting any new reports from Zeeva.

I also check to see if they respond to signaling.
kermitphrogg114

Postby Kuragari » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:09 am

Some of the crew had been preparing for bed, but once its known a ship is following yours folks quickly shift into a tense readiness as they prepare the ship. You of course recall the ship has limited armaments, with its primary gun being the one at the front and a light one at the back on the top deck. There were also two missile tubes, but you had a limited supply of the torpedoes for those.

Attempting to signal the ship gets no answer, but you do notice the ship get a burst of speed as it pulls further from the clouds, now heading directly for you. If you wanted, you could probably outrun the ship, and running rings around it probably wouldn't be too hard. But its hull would be harder to breach with your weapons, and it likely had a little bit more firepower than you did.

Kuragari

Postby kermitphrogg114 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:40 pm

This ship clearly doesn't have good intentions; they have made no response, no claims, and are now speeding towards us. It's also unusually fast for a tortoise ship; they must have upgraded the thing somehow. Best to avoid the damn thing entirely and lose it in the clouds.

"Battle stations!" I call out. "Everyone to your stations! We're taking evasive maneuvers, let's lose this thing in the clouds. Mathers, man the aft gun, but don't fire unless ordered. I doubt we'll be able to do much damage to that brute. Also, have the torpedoes ready in case we need a last-ditch strike."

I rush to my spot on the bridge, and watch the readings apprehensively as I order the officers and crew.
kermitphrogg114

Postby Kuragari » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:05 pm

You heard cries of "Aye aye" and folks hurrying about as everyone got ready. You soon sensed the presence of Seirei as she moved to stand beside you, a somewhat apprehensive look on her face even as her eyes flashed with determination.

The enemy ship was gaining, and getting into weapons range when it began to signal. Natalie grunted as she remarked, "They're asking us to surrender all cargo or they'll blow us outta the sky. Orders Cap'n?"

Since this is the first ship battle, I'll you'll go first. Roll 2d20. The first roll is the roll you need to beat, the second is your own roll. Get 5 successes to win the ship to ship combat. Don't worry, you won't lose the ship if ya fail this one.
Kuragari

Postby kermitphrogg114 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:43 pm

First Roll: 7
Second Roll: 16

I didn't just beat it, I aced it. Does that count as two successes? :P

"The hell we are!" I call out. "Evasive actions! Let's see them try to shoot us down when we're outrunning them! All hands brace for maneuvers!"

I take the helm from the First Mate and proceed to try to pilot the ship away from our pursuers, using the Sparrowhawk's superior agility to dance away from them, keeping our distance and keeping our movements free to avoid them getting a shot on us.
kermitphrogg114

Postby Kuragari » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:59 pm

Yes it does indeed~

The Sparrowhawk dances at your command as you find the ship is incredibly agile. A bit more then you expected in fact, but in this instance you have no reason to complain. The enemy ship opens fire but misses wildly, while the foward gun turns and lobs off a shot that manages to strike right on top of one of their weapon ports. Some smoke pours from that porthole as you hear cheers go up from within the ship and Natalie whistles as she says,

"That was a good shot. One less gun for us to worry about."

18 vs 18, tie

Of course, then you have to make a quick reaction as the enemy ship turns a bit and fires off several more of its guns. You see a shot go through one of the sails, but nothing else gets damaged and given the sails are there only to add some speed when going at a more sedate pace its not a big deal. Its still a sign you need to be careful- even with one gun down, they've got more firepower.
Kuragari

Postby kermitphrogg114 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:04 pm

I try to keep on its disarmed side and out of ramming range, using our superior speed and agility to keep away.

"How far's our destination?!" I call out to the First Mate. "Maybe we can lose them in the clouds before turning around and doubling back."
kermitphrogg114

Postby Kuragari » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:53 am

Zeeva calls out that there looks to be some cloudbanks further ahead that stretch a ways, you might be able to lose them their. As for your destination, it remains a ways off. Natalie recommends trying to hit their engines. It'd require maneuvering around behind them, but if you could slow them down your ships speed would be more than enough to get away from them. By the time they fixed them, you'd be long gone.
Kuragari

Postby kermitphrogg114 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:54 pm

I order the crew to prepare for heavy maneuvers and strap themselves down. When they're ready, I pull the ship up, then order the engines throttled a bit, allowing the enemy ship to sail right by before I descend back down and get them in the ship's sights.

"Mathers! Torpedoes!" I cry out. "Aim at the enemy's engines, or at least take out their propellers!"
kermitphrogg114

Postby Kuragari » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:23 am

your roll 17 vs their 11 2 victories enemy at -1 to next roll

Taking advantage of your greater speed, Natalie sends the ship into a burst of speed and moves around behind the enemy ship so fast that it catches even you a bit off guard. Enough so that you are sent tumbling a bit when she makes the sharp turn to bring the ship into position for Mathers to let loose with the torpedoes. They strike true, making the enemy ship tilt just a bit as one engine gets taken out while the other begins to strain to compensate.
Kuragari

Postby kermitphrogg114 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:52 am

A wild cheer comes from the crew as the torpedoes hit home. I can't help but feel a savage grin on my face as the enemy ship is now badly listing and very much slowed.

"Alright, engineering, give me maximum power," I call the engine room. "We're going to give these guys the slip while they're trying to fix their own engines, and hide into the cloud bank. You got that, Sokkit?"

One last roll to give the enemy the slip: 1d20 = 17.
kermitphrogg114

Postby Kuragari » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:55 am

They got a 5, so yeah you definitively get away.

Do you want to timeskip the remaining time to your destination?

Natalie throws it to full and sends the ship hurtling forward as the sun begins to set and brings night to the sky. It doesn't take long for you to lose sight of the enemy ship, which had lost some altitude as it listed away. The crew lets out some cheers, while Natalie begins to gradually return the ship to its regular speed.

"Well, hopefully that'll be the only trouble we face for now." She remarked with a smile, Seirei giving you a rather sensual and cheery hug as she celebrated with the others.
Kuragari

Postby kermitphrogg114 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:49 am

I give a sigh of satisfaction and relief as I watch the tortoise airship disappear behind us as we escape into the cloud bank. Seirei hugs me with her usual energy - and 'style' - but I give a warm smile, just glad to be out of trouble. Still, if there was trouble this early in the journey, I'd need to be more careful going in.

I raise engineering.

"Sokkit, what's the status on the engine room and the ship?" I inquire. Once I had assessed damages (if any), I can be absolutely sure I can take a break. A captain's duty is to her crew and ship after all.
kermitphrogg114

PreviousNext

Return to Private Games