[HTML5] Hellscape: Action RPG - Pre-Alpha

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

[HTML5] Hellscape: Action RPG - Pre-Alpha

Postby Bakezori » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:25 pm

Hey, everyone! Welcome to the first playable demo of the action-RPG, "Hellscape." The game is available to play in-browser at https://hellscape001a.netlify.com, but will be made available for download if people have issues with the web version. Later releases will also be downloadable.

At the moment, the game is primarily a combat demo, though a few other mechanics have been implemented. Enemies will spawn at random locations every 10 seconds, so just wander around a bit and you'll find something to do. Controls are below.

I'll be posting a more substantial version of the game in the coming weeks, complete with a brief quest-line and NPC interactions.

Plot
"Hellscape" is set in the midst of a century-long war between humanity and a race of Demonic Warlords. Since the Demons possess powerful magic--which is something humans can't use--the Warlords have had an easy time of conquering the Earth. Only a handful of human kingdoms remain standing. To stave off the looming extinction of Man, the king of Erafell sends the captain of his army to recruit a contingent of demi-human soldiers from the kingdom's outlying villages. Since demi-humans possess demonic blood, they're able to use magic, and are invaluable to the war effort.

The game will revolve around Izobel, a demi-human succubus who's recruited to the army to fight against the Warlords. As a succubus, her ability to use magic comes from having sex. Izobel can seduce enemies to restore her mana in battle, but can also become intimate with the people in Erafell to increase her magical proficiency. Of course, since most demi-humans are feared by humanity, relationship building will be an uphill battle.

Needless to say, the story is still in development.

Controls
Basic Controls:
[W,A,S,D] to move
[Space] to roll (reduces stamina, which will automatically recover over time)
[X] to open the menu (just the inventory at the moment)
[Left/Right click] to perform an action (a punch if nothing is equipped)
[E] to interact with other objects when an icon appears above Izobel's head
[F] to toggle between "Battle Mode" and "Seduction Mode" (the cursor will change to a cross-hair or a heart, respectively)

When in "Seduction Mode":
[Left/Right Click] to blow a kiss and seduce an enemy.
Press [E] when standing beside a seduced enemy to have sex with it. This will restore Izobel's "Mana" (the sphere at the top left of the screen).

NOTE: the game may momentarily freeze the first time you have sex with an enemy. If this happens, just wait a few seconds and everything should continue as normal.

When in the Menu:
[Click and Drag] an item to one of the "action slots" at the bottom left of the screen to equip it. The left slot corresponds to a [Left Click] action and the right slot to [Right Click].
[Right Click] a healing item in your inventory and click [Use] to use it.

Known Issues
The game lags/freezes the first time certain objects are loaded (enemy sprites, character graphics, etc.) I'm looking into it.
The mouse cursor may disappear when it's stationary. Moving the mouse will bring it back.

If you notice any other issues while playing, please let me know.

Icons by Lorc: https://opengameart.org/content/700-rpg-icons
Textures by textures.com
Made in Construct 2
Bakezori
Newly Registered

Re: [HTML5] Hellscape: Action RPG - Pre-Alpha

Postby Darthjake » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:17 am

I'll have to try it again, the game froze for me loading 83% like 3 times, then I got it to run, and forgot to test the "F" mode.

One thing I would say, using [WASD] along with X and E is a bit of a pain for an old gamer like me, you might want to include using the arrow keys as well. Or allow us to assign inventory etc to 1- 12 as I like using a Naga clone mouse.

Other then that, it looks good for an early alpha demo.
Darthjake

Postby Bakezori » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:06 am

Thanks for the comment, Darthjake.

Sorry to hear you had some loading issues. I appreciate that you kept trying. The next version of the game will be available to download, so that should solve the problem.

Regarding the controls: I'll be implementing customizable input options at some point down the road (perhaps sooner rather than later), so if anything feels awkward at the moment you'll be able to change it later. I'm not terribly sold on the key configuration, myself, but I wanted to keep everything within reach of WASD to allow the use of the mouse with the other hand, so the X and E keys just sort of came about as a result.

Thanks again for playing. I hope you'll keep an eye out for the next version when it becomes available.
Bakezori
Newly Registered

Postby Bakezori » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:01 pm

I figured I should share another image here to give everyone an idea of how the game is going to look. This is a rendering of Izobel's "Peasant Dress" for the next update. It's simple, but it is, after all, for a peasant.
Bakezori
Newly Registered

Postby Ynsano » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:38 am

Gave it a try based on the feel of the images.... hell... almost no content.. what makes me say...
WHERE IS DA FUK CONTENT
C'MOM THIS SEENS GOLDEN!!! DOOOOO CONTEEEEEENT ASAP!!!!

I WANNA PLAY!!!!!
Ynsano

Location: Amidst some code searching the missing fucking semicolon.

Postby Dongman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:20 am

This game looks good so far. Can't wait to see what it turns into.
Dongman

Postby Bakezori » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:36 pm

Thanks for the comments, Dongman and Ysnano. And sorry for the late response.

There will be more content coming soon. The reason for the delay is that I've decided to make Hellscape a turn-based strategy game rather than an action RPG, and programming the new battle mechanics has taken me some time. The combat is working pretty well, at the moment, but it's still a bit sparse, and probably not worth releasing, yet. That said, if anyone's interested, I can compile the current version and post it here, anyway.

I'm hoping to have the basics of the combat done by the end of February, after which I'll continue work on the story and other features. A lot of the writing and stuff has already been done for the prologue, it just hasn't been put into the game, yet. Barring any hiccups, I'm hoping to release a more content-rich version of the game by late March.

Also, here's some art for everyone:
This is Izobel's mother, Brianna. She won't have a very prominent role in the game, but she'll make an appearance in the prologue.
Bakezori
Newly Registered

Postby Dongman » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:48 pm

oh jeeze, seriously late reply on my part, sorry about that
I'd be very interested in seeing the current version of the game
Dongman

Postby Bakezori » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:10 pm

No worries. The most recent version can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9726

It's quite a bit different from the version here, though. Hope you enjoy!
Bakezori
Newly Registered

Return to Non-Flash Projects