Strive for Power - Fantasy Slave Management game

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Re: Strive for Power - Fantasy Slave Management game

Postby maverickk » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:11 pm

Pardon for not showing up for some time, 5.7d version has been publically released recently.
maverickk

Postby Lucky777 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:00 am

Baller : D

I may try it shortly, or I may wait until the update to the engine comes out and brings products closer to a guarantee of backwards compatibility.

The changelog on the Itch.io seems to be lagging behind a couple of versions.
Lucky777

Postby Briheas » Sun May 06, 2018 12:39 am

Finally got around to getting the newest version and playing this again. The last version I had was 5.4 I think, so things that are new to me might have been changed long ago.

The last boss killed me easily on my first attempt. Fortunately, I didn't save after the point of no return, or else I would have been screwed. I won easily once I got the lab upgrades for myself though.

I see there are rare weapon drops. (Or maybe they were always there and I never got them, I don't know.) I got an Elven Sword off an elf patrol I accidentally attacked, and a Staff of Nature off of a dryad I think, and an Emerald Amulet off a fairy. Does anyone know of any others you can get?

I also messed around a bit with pregnancy, and I have to say, the length of pregnancy is waaaay too long. I know a longer pregnancy term is more realistic, but taking 30 days to give birth, and then another 20 days to grow up is way too long, gameplay wise. I can generally finish the game (or at least, get the point where I could finish the game if I wanted to) in under 30 days, so making pregnancy take 50 days is very impractical. And it'll probably take even longer than 50 days if you wait for consensual sex, since it takes time to build up loyalty.
Briheas

Postby cheneychan » Tue May 15, 2018 5:43 am

Soooo i got far in the game last time and it was all good but i cannot for the life of me find out how to trigger sexual or forced sexual actions with the other characters i have. i did the suggest sexual relationship but cannot find out where to go from there. NVM i found it when you go to the mansion main room. Perhaps put sexual interaction on the servant page in the blank area above inspect, just to make it more simple fore dummies like me :oops:
cheneychan
Newly Registered

Postby musical74 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:43 am

REAL weird bug, not sure what to make of it... I got this error and the game now refuses to run...

*Can't create an OpenGL 3.3 Rendering Content
Your system's graphics card doesn't seem to support OpenGL 3.3/OpenGL ES 3.0 sorry*

It could before, I spent enough time figuring stuff out, why is it suddenly now whining? Did a driver check and it said everything was current...
musical74

Postby Lucky777 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:17 pm

"before" is POST engine-update?

There was an engine update, and until Godot 3.1 returns backwards compatibility, certain computers will be out of luck regarding running the game.

If "before" that you speak of was indeed after that update though, I don't know what's going on.
Lucky777

Postby musical74 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:28 pm

I wasn't aware Godot did an engine update, that's probably the problem... do I need to download Godot to make it work? I didn't need to DL it before though...do I just wait until Godot does backwards compatibility, am I just not able to play it now, or is there some third option?
musical74

Postby musical74 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:17 am

Been long enough I think...

I tried a few days ago to play it, still no dice. Wonder how long it'll be until I can play it again/
musical74

Postby RunningAroundInCircles » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:54 pm

I have the same problem... I think

My PC only suports openGl 3.1 and I foolishly deleted the old version before testing the new one. Is there any place, where I can get an old one, that still runs on the old engine?
Better an incomplete game, than a not runnning one.
I NEVER run against walls.
RunningAroundInCircles

Postby Reality Mode » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:29 am

Based on the info on the Godot page, it'll be a few days if we're lucky and a month or two if we're not.

To be quite honest, I *like* what Godot is doing now. It doesn't run on my older laptop unfortunately, but it will soon, and it will work *better*.
Reality Mode

Postby RunningAroundInCircles » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:05 pm

I like that too. My post wasn't meant as criticism, merely as a statement that some part of the player base can't play his game for reasons of old equipment.
Since the game doesn't exactly shine with its 3D components, there is no real reason to use 3D drivers in the first place.
I am sure the upgrade was well thought through, it's just tiny details like these that fall through the cracks.
I NEVER run against walls.
RunningAroundInCircles

Postby Reality Mode » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:28 am

"My PC only suports openGl 3.1"

Lucky. Mine right now - actually not entirely sure. One second...

OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 13.0.6

You're lucky. Stop complaining :P

(joking)
Reality Mode

Postby maverickk » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:30 pm

maverickk

Postby Briheas » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:36 am

Hmm let me see...

Oh god combat is difficult. Especially in the early game. It gets moderately easier as you gain enough levels to max out stats, then goes back to difficult as enemies become harder but you only get minor bonuses with each level, until you get end game gear and lab enhancements and you become essentially invincible.

I really like the change constants feature. Adjusting some of those numbers makes parts of the game much more bearable.

I kind of feel like there should be some other way to use up energy aside from combat. As one of those people who always feels that not using up all (or almost all) of my energy every day is a waste, I find myself just exploring for 100 turns, which gets rather tedious. Perhaps a way to spend energy for more interaction points or something like that would be good?

I saw a couple of characters that had contradictory traits, like both pretty voice and mute.

When I do a double attack with Ayernis' rapier, the portrait keeps moving upward. It probably does 2 up motions, but only 1 down motion. (I'm doing no animation combat)
Briheas

Postby musical74 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:43 pm

Just tried to play the most recent one and it's still complaining that it's not compatible (SIGH)

Wonder if that means I won't be able to play any Godot-themed games now? Or are they still dealing with backwards compatibility issues?
musical74

Postby maverickk » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:19 pm

Godot 3.1 should have a support for gles2 so wait until its out and ported.
maverickk

Postby Lucky777 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:38 pm

Apparently I didn't get blasted by backwards-compatibility issues, but something sure is up.

Have a look at this thing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

wat.png
wat.png (37.97 KiB) Viewed 2121 times

Just getting back into this new version of the game and trying to relearn things.
I've already fucked with two or three lines of the ending sequence so it should be fine when I eventually get there again (no slave deletion, no stab sound).
I'll have to mess with the text to make it work a little more sensibly from my perspective, but that's an effort for another day.
(Fuckin' Kidnap someone who's already there and wearing a buncha armour, yeah, okay.)
Fortunately, whatever errors are happening there in that screenshot don't stop the game from playing essentially perfectly.

...I don't know where the saves are stored anymore though.

Maybe I forgot, or maybe they're in a completely different place.

[Edit: The second screen totally shows the save path, so that's great.]

- Hey, the new map system is really neat : D
Down to the fact that it shows where you are at the point in time.
It's a little touch, but it's still great!

- Really liking the new cutscenes as well.
Haven't seen all of 'em, but maybe they'll explain more about the story.
Sadly I suspect Hade's methods will still mean I have to end up opposing him even though we agree on some things.

- Would be nice to be able to gear the Master from his portrait's personal screen, just like we can gear slaves from their individual screens.
Basically just go to inventory screen with Master selected, just like it works for them, I guess.

- Kinda cool new interface, too, but maybe it could be a good deal more explicit about what is going on.
Maybe mouseover specifying that what's in the backpack goes with you on adventures, and saying that you click to change categories.
And likewise, mouseover specifying that what's in the mansion doesn't go with you on adventures (and saying that you click to change categories).
If I didn't already know about the backpack/mansion inventory system, then...
I'd be ABSOLUTELY confused.

I do like the mouseover tooltips that have already been added.

And the interface is pretty neat when you sorta already know what's going on in it.

- Slaves with high lewdness or a prostitution-type occupation (or both) really shouldn't react so badly to town peeps flirting with them, I think.
(Nor should magically or physically strong types lose to a couple town randos...)
And slaves with high lewdness or a prostitution-type occupation (or both) almost DEFINITELY shouldn't react badly to being ordered to serve the town boys.
My slaves almost invariably fall into ALL of the cateogries; ie physically and magically strong, lewd, whores.
Suffice to say that by every indication and from every angle, I don't agree with that event as it stands.

Actual story spoilers

-As he says it would have been possible for him to let us be, after all, so I'm still not in agreement with having no option to just wait and see how Hade's plan goes.
At the end of the day, I don't think we have enough indication of how much the Order intends to curtail slavery to make an informed decision regarding Hade's plan.
Also don't know if a coup is the only way to preserve as much of the status quo as we might want to.
Interesting, but considering what we know from an immersion standpoint I guess declining his offer makes the most sense.
That doesn't necessarily mean directly opposing him though.
(Now the fact that he tries to have us killed, that's a problem, sure.
Still... I dunno man.)

Actual story spoilers

- If there's dungeon space, considering her disobedient status, Melissa should probably spawn into your dungeon, yo.

- It seems more difficult to edit the pictures and music being used, now.
More difficult for my level zero skills, anyway.
Can we have that functionality back?
Maybe it's still easy.
Being at level zero with the coding and all perhaps I'm missing something.

- You can buy teleport stones more than once.
After you buy 'em they should probably disappear, just as they do when you reload the shop's item list.
As long as they give the proper portal unlock first, that is.

(I did try to buy multiple at once and that only gave me one, which is great!
I also tried to buy to backpack and it prevented me from doing so, which is also great!
Just things people might do if they're not paying attention, and it's already been caught and addressed beforehand, which is an excellent fact.)

- Maple floats lower and lower in the slavers' guild sometimes.
It's kinda hilarious, though definitely unintended.
Sometimes you can go there and find that she is basically floating with her head nearly at ground level.
I THINK you should consider fixing it but it's so damned funny the first time you see it I ALMOST think you should consider leaving it in as well.
Maybe fix what is wrong with the thing now and just have it as an easter egg that sometimes she shows up floating at the bottom of the screen?
Maybe after flirting? I dunno.

- "Elixir of Clarity" is referred to in "Trait Removal" as "Clarity Potion".
One can assume they're the same thing, but it's best to remove the need for assumption.
Trait Removal does seem to work quite nicely though, anyway.

- Not sure if the brothel madam makes it clear enough that even a Dark Elf will do, and the Lone Hut lady makes it clear enough that a Dark Elf WON'T do.
That's always been a potential source of confusion.
(...As well as Drow and Dark Elves somehow being different races in this mythos.)

- Clearing scene continues not to check whether or not you have the items with you in your backpack.
It's just not intuitive at all, and will confuse any new player.
Now that you can specifically bring items with you, it's gonna be necessary for that quest to check both places, if not JUST the backpack alone.
[EDIT: An alternative solution is to make the quest text and the reminder text state explicitly that all the items must be left at the house, and not brought with you.
That solution removes the confusion, but leaves the main problem that it's really quite nonsensical, since you're explicitly required to BRING THEM WITH you.]

-Zoe's translation book requirements don't appear to show up in the quest log, even in the tab for "Sidequests".

- Pretty sure the trait "Enjoys Anal" is appearing after sessions that have no anal activities selected...

- Sometimes the game hangs during battle sequences, and from what I could see the second window was recommending that memory or something in some place be
increased? If it's going to happen it seems to happen on the first turn, and may or may not be related to auto-attack. I'm a bag of hammers and I didn't copy or print-screen the second screen, but whatever error was happening seemed to be continuing to produce the same readout infinitely (and at high speed).

Minor cutscene spoilers

- "Change Wheels" in the slavers' council cutscene.
That may be a literal translation of an idiomatic expression in another language, but I don't think it is an expression in English.
From the context it MIGHT have been referring to diversifying the slavers' business portfolio by taking other jobs on the side or something, but I'm really just not sure what it means, or exactly what it is intended to convey.
Maybe it meant start adopting different tactics in some other way?
Lucky777

Postby maverickk » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:35 pm

0.5.22b is out for public, new endgame area, new items and bosses. Links at the first post.
maverickk

Postby Lucky777 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:25 pm

This post is mostly for Musical.

There's been another godot engine update it appears and the changelog suggests the game's using it now.

Maybe you'll be able to play it now, though I don't know if this is the update that restored backwards compatibility or what.

For certain I don't get as many errors when I run the new version.

But also for certain I COULD RUN the past version despite any errors I had gotten.
Lucky777

Postby musical74 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:16 am

Yeah I can FINALLY play it again (I need in touch a few games on itch.io) I'm not sure when the backwards compatibility started but at least I can have fun with it!

Actually, there's a bizarre issue of sorts, at one point I'm told "you need the lab to continue"...except I don't really need it. What Melissa requires can be done in alchemy easily enough, why do I need the lab if the alchemy room can do what I need?

Thanks for thinking of me Lucky! :)
musical74

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Flash Projects