[Unity]RPG/Slave Trainer based on Corta's Character Template

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

[Unity]RPG/Slave Trainer based on Corta's Character Template

Postby geoper » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:33 am

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, got here after playing Sim Bro. I'm porting some features of Corta's Character Template(CCT) to Unity and I'm planning to start developing a game as a side project. I have a little demo to show the creation of a character, it has little variety now but it's just a matter of time to have more hair and costumes available. I'm not going to use it as it is in the game.

The idea is to make a dungeon crawler mixed with slave trainer game, something like a light(not so punishing) Darkest Dungeon meets Jack-o-nine-tails or Slave Maker. I'll be working on the design for a few weeks cause I want to create synergy between these game modes but still leave the freedom to play only one if the player doesn't like the other.

I can code the whole game, I can make animations too (the ones on the demo I did in a hurry and need improvement, but I can do better), maybe even write. The game will be medieval/fantasy themed so the majority of costumes from CCT will not work on it, and I can't make the art. If someone wants to partipate making equipments, backgrounds or other elements just say so. I can't use PMs till I get 10 posts so that way will have to wait.

As soon as I have a playable build, probably with the slave traning part fist, I'll upload it here. But don't expect it too soon.

About the demo. It's missing eye parts(brows/eyelashes). You can create girls. Change hairs, eyes. Edit hair,eye and lips color. Change the breast size. If you choose the "Select" option, you can look an idle and walk(press a,d or left, right arrows) animations, so you can see the character moving. The skin colors are implemented but not accesible on this build. Finally you can dress/undress the characters with a console command. Open the console with the tilde(~) key (like Skyrim and other games) or F1, and write: "equip (number of the character) (name of the costume)(name of the body slot)", for know there are only a Zero costume and a Tifa costume. And the body slots are: Body, Arms, Legs, Hands and Feet. For the number of the character just count starting from zero from left to right. So, if you one to equip the first character with Zero body, you need to write "equip 0 ZeroBody" without quotes. To close press Alt+F4.

Demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BybCj ... 2tURTNvb00

Screens:

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

demo1.jpg
Edit
demo2.jpg
Animations

Any suggestions, bug report or help is well received!
geoper

Re: [Unity]RPG/Slave Trainer based on Corta's Character Temp

Postby Dongman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:20 am

This sounds like a neat idea
Dongman

Postby geoper » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Corta's pointed out a breaking bug on the first run of the demo. Made a fix. Should work now as intended =). Original link works. I need the 10 messages to answer PMs >.<.
geoper

Postby Teron » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi Geoper,

Good luck with the game, I'm a fan of Corta's assets so more games using them can only be a good thing.

I've been looking at Corta's character template as well with a similar goal, to essentially be able to generate characters as part of a game in Unity. Unfortunately I don't know a great deal about Flash so I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction with regards to how you have gone about exporting assets from Corta's FLA to be usable in Unity. I just can't figure out how you would export from the template, which may be where I'm going wrong and it isn't an export of a generated character at all that I should be trying to do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheers
Teron
Newly Registered

Postby geoper » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:05 am

Teron Wrote:I've been looking at Corta's character template as well with a similar goal, to essentially be able to generate characters as part of a game in Unity. Unfortunately I don't know a great deal about Flash so I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction with regards to how you have gone about exporting assets from Corta's FLA to be usable in Unity. I just can't figure out how you would export from the template, which may be where I'm going wrong and it isn't an export of a generated character at all that I should be trying to do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I did not know anything about flash either. It's really probable that there is a better way of doing things that the one I'm doing, but I'll tell you. The fist thing I tried was exporting the symbols as .png in CS6. With enough resolution it showed promise but, the symbols are not transformed as the example Samus(model) is, Unity doesn't have the skew transformation, so it's difficult to replicate the same transformations and it would ended with some things too wide, too narrow, etc. So, what I ended up doing involves Illustrator(AI) and patience.

• Select the sample model, every body part, this has the transformations, so its good on that end.
  • Export as .fxg.
  • Open it in AI.
  • Drag te body parts away from each other. Sometimes you need to double click, to edit the symbol, then drag.
  • Once they are separated of each other you can export as .png and import as a multiple sprite to Unity
  • From here you can use a third party tool to work with the parts, basically you need to make a skeleton that tell the parts how to move. You could use Spriter, Spine, Dragon Bones, Anima2D, etc

There are some things that I just exported as .png from Flash, the eyes mainly, its only a transformation, so I recreated it in Unity with rotations. Every tool has it's way of working with skins, clothes, etc., so that its up to you. You can use the symbols already in AI to apply the transformations to symbols of the clothes and the color edit to change colors instead of exporting other skins and so. I'm planning to upload the template in Unity but once I finish the game, and that is far away.
geoper

Postby Teron » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Thanks for explaining :)

I took a bit more of a blunt approach and just used the snipping tool in Windows to take a snip of each body part from the FLA file in cs5, chucked them into gimp and removed the backgrounds etc, exported as PNG and added them as assets in Unity. Anima2d for the bones (although my bone structure is for regular animations, haven't quite got that hip thrust down yet ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ).
I am looking at how to use an animation for any characters created using the same assets, for example applying the same bone mesh to all characters and then applying walking, idle etc animations to said bone mesh. I suppose the goal is to be able to create a bunch of characters using the assets and then easily apply the bones and whatnot to them without having to go through the process of creating and binding bones to every new character.

A quick(all day) mock up example; https://gyazo.com/8035e1762bbf076cfac582bc28f3c85f
Not sure how but I managed to forget to give her hands.
Teron
Newly Registered

Postby geoper » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:31 am

Yeah, you are in the right path, but the snipping + GIMP sounds like a lot of loss in quality for the assets. Still, it's a good first approach, It took me 3 remakes of my bones and meshes to get where the model is now and I could say good enough. Never used Anima2D before that.

Good luck.
geoper

Return to Non-Flash Projects