[WebGL/EXE] Bungaroids! (LUP: Sep 6)

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

[WebGL/EXE] Bungaroids! (LUP: Sep 6)

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Play Bungaroids:
WebGL version: http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/game ... 20/preview
EXE version:
bungaroids_v03.zip
(29.58 MiB) Downloaded 78 times

Latest Update September 6, 2017

Bungaroids will be an Asteroids-like top-down shooter with simple 2D and 3D hentai reward CG.

Controls:
Left/Right or Game Pad Stick to turn ship
Up/Down or Game Pad Shoulder Buttons to use thrusters
Spacebar, X or Game Pad B to use brakes
Ctrl, Z or Game Pad A to fire shots
(.) or (,) to adjust Look Ahead

I want this game to be controller-compatible. It works fine in testing mode, but when I build it to HTML5, the game doesn't pick up input from the shoulder buttons (which would be the forward/backward thrusters). So for controllers, you're supposed to be able to turn with the leftstick and thrust with the analog shoulder buttons, fire with the A button (PS X button), brake with the Y button (PS ∆ button). If I can't resolve the shoulder button situation, I might change this to A/B (X/O) for thrusters and use the triggers for shooting.

Here is the development backstory behind Bungaroids:
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

First, I was planning to make games like this in Flash. I started with Astro Vulpus, but as soon as I added a big sexy 3D video file, Flash crashed to all hell. So since I want to work with 3D artwork anyways, I've decided to move to Unity. I was going to make a direct successor to Astro Vulpus, Ion Tails, with mostly the same plot and game mechanics. But once I started programming I realized how different Flash and Unity are. I decided that in order to make Ion Tails the best it can be, it would be best to do a quick practice project first. As long as I have a spare project, I've always wanted to make a sequel to my early Flash game, Aceroids, and I've got a bunch of 2D sketches that would be nice to share with people.

And thus comes Bungaroids.

As of the Aug 12 update, Bungaroids is starting to develop something close to the final game set-up. Hang out on the Home screen, buy upgrades, unlock galleries, go back to space for more swag. Most of the remaining work will be in filling in more rewardCG, things to buy and things to shoot.

Eventually, I think you'll be able to unlock more specific things, like shot size, shot speed, shot damage, shot range, drive thrust, drive turning, drive brakes, drive drag, drive max speed, magnet power, etc. Right now, upgrading Weapon will improve the size of shots and the damage of shots, upgrading Drive will improve thrust rate and turning rate.

Right now, we're still looking at a lot of temporary artwork. The ship will be replaced with a 3D model. You'll eventually be playing in something that looks more like outer-space. I don't know if I want to make (or download) more realistic asteroids, the spherical shape is kind of nice and predictable for gameplay.

Reward CG will be both 2D and 3D. 2D is implemented, 3D is coming soon.

I know arcade games aren't everybody's cup of tea, so I'll try to make sure that you can unlock everything with either skill or persistence.

Here's a sample of the 2D artwork:
CG01preview.jpg
CG01preview.jpg (61.94 KiB) Viewed 2928 times

Patrons (any amount) can help me decide which of my old sketches I should finish up for Bungaroids: https://www.patreon.com/posts/bungaroids-cg-13471923
5$ Patrons will also have access to some behind-the-scenes videos of how to make artwork like this. I did some patron videos on character design previously: https://www.patreon.com/posts/astro-vulpus-4-7996327 and https://www.patreon.com/posts/astro-vulpus-4-b-7996952 At some point, I will share more info on the finishing process, and I might do a video of making sketch-to-final if that's something people really want to see.
You can also check out my Flash adventure game, Knarf's Quest, for more examples of my 2D art style.

I'm just barely starting the 3D artwork for Bungaroids, here is a practice comic strip I made:

Because of the way 3D works, all of the 3D reward CG will feature this same character, Cascade the Shark. As with the 2D artwork, I've got lots of how-to videos for 5$ Patreons on 3D art subjects.

So let me know what you think of the game so far, and any feedback you have.

https://www.patreon.com/acethesupervillain
Last edited by AcetheSuperVillain on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:14 am, edited 6 times in total.
AcetheSuperVillain

Re: [WebGL] Bungaroids! (Early Alpha)

Postby suijin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:20 pm

While movement feels fine (not superb, but also nothing to complain about), it took me a while to figure out how to use some of the other controls without checking the post again (using keyboard, btw). I figured out how to shoot purely on accident while trying to interact with the U.I. In addition, the fuzzy map and relatively small view distance did me no favors, though I have no idea if that's a result of the game itself or my laptop's resolution. I wound up shooting constantly solely because it was the only way to gauge my location on the larger map.

Mainly it feels like the game has some trouble conveying helpful information to the player, which I suspect is a result of the early build.
suijin
Newly Registered

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:10 am

Ah yes, I should have mentioned that. The current mini-map is probably temporary, it's just a second camera looking down at the scene from higher up, which I thought was an interesting novelty after being used to blit engines. The problem of course is that the player ship is too small and too dark to see from that far away. My preference would be to make a HUD similar to the one I used in Blazing Void https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMmW9KKyM-8 although I want to check if this is something I'll have to draw myself like in the blit days, or if there's a way I can render a different graphic for each camera view.

Another thing from Blazing Void, if you'd like, I could have the camera follow ahead of the player instead of centered on the player. I remember some people felt that was weird, but it gives you more room to see in front of you. And lower visibility to the rear at least makes sense, even if it's inconvenient. Here's the Blazing Void video again if you want to see what that looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMmW9KKyM-8

I'll try to remember to include an instructions tab. The HUD/GUI stuff is all kinda weird to me in Unity, but it's near the top of my to-learn list for the sake of getting some hentai into this game. I also need to learn how to make variables that it can remember from scene to scene.

I plan to have an upgrade shop at some point, so some things like the brake I might leave out at first so you can buy it later. That way I think it's an easier learning experience since you can learn things one system at a time.

For the ship's movement, you will be able to purchase upgrades for that, so the way it feels now might be a goal for a mid-game upgrade level; you'd start out slower and end up faster.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby suijin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:40 am

Neat. While I can't speak for anyone else, the more forward camera seems like a good idea to me, and a more utilitarian mini map would probably do wonders for general awareness.

I suppose I should specify that I actually enjoy the level of control I have over movement in the game more than anything, as most similar games inevitably end with me sliding into a rock thanks to how floaty and awkward your avatar tends to move. Not crashing into a wall/enemy every time I need to stop is more refreshing than you might think.
suijin
Newly Registered

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:11 pm

Probably worth mentioning, these are some of my previous games that I will be drawing inspiration from.

Aceroids: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/530898 This is the primary game I want to recreate. Collect gold from asteroids and avoid the local wildlife.

Alloy Tengu: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/552899 Alloy Tengu 2: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/558532 There are already some aspects of Alloy Tengu style gameplay showing up. I absolutely want to make Alloy Tengu style games again at some point, but for now, I'm avoiding the AI. Bungaroids might get AT's missiles and hold shots. Here's some video of AT2 gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN1kKrOuNLw and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WujPsnYRsU

Blazing Void: http://www.freeworldgroup.com/g/i/blazing-void.htm Blazing Void was the hyper advanced big brother of Alloy Tengu with a few technical oversights that caused it to flop massively. This is way more advanced than I want for Bungaroids, but it's the kind of game that I want Bungaroids to prepare me for. Here is a video of Classic Mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMmW9KKyM-8 Here is a video of Base Attack Mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RD8attrQbs

Also, deep in the recesses of my old YouTube account, here is some video footage of the Game Maker version of Alloy Tengu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os-LkERvHKo Supposedly you can still download this from somewhere, but I don't know where.

Actually, Blazing Void's Base Attack Mode could be achieved with relatively simple AI. If just asteroids feels too boring, I might bring in some Base Attack style action.

While I find frantic arcade games like Alloy Tengu to be equally as fun as masturbating, I know they're not for everyone, so I'll try to keep Bungaroids at a more diplomatic difficulty level.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:28 pm

I'm back from vacation, I should have some reward CG in the game within the week.

Until then, $5 Patrons can watch me doing the inking and coloring of a new reward CG on Patreon. The starting sketch is the picture of Joyelle from the mostly text adventure game.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby SilverFangGroup » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:27 pm

Looks interesting. Looking forward to seeing some new stuff
SilverFangGroup

Re: [WebGL] Bungaroids! (LUP: Aug 12)

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:36 am

Latest Update August 12:

Now with naked girls! Details in the first topic.

Joy of joys, it looks like there's some kind of problem with the way Unity scales images that makes the rewardCG look very blurry. I'm not sure if this will be true on all computers. It looks like putting the game in FullScreen Mode will fix this, but then they don't quite fit onscreen. (Assumably because they are 4:3 ratio and not widescreen 16:9)
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby suijin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:02 am

Alright, recoil from picking up gold is a sin against humanity. Being too preoccupied to pick up currency in the heat of battle is one thing, actively avoiding it so I don't bounce around the screen like a pinball is another. Also, I find myself pining for the ability to fire continuous shots by holding the fire button/key on a near constant basis. My fingers start to hurt pretty fast since my default state is spamming shots in every direction.
suijin
Newly Registered

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:40 am

The gold collisions weren't intentional, it's an artifact of how the Unity physics engine works. I have already devised a solution, so it'll be available the next time I update (hopefully this weekend). I'll think about changing the fire button. I'm still not sure if the final weapon system should look anything like what we have now, so I would want to wait until I have a sense of what I want before putting work into it.

In other news, making the reward CG is going very quickly, so there's a good chance I'll be able to cram lots and lots of it into Bungaroids.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby suijin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:55 am

Excellent. I figured it wasn't intentional, mostly just wanted to point it out on the off chance you missed it. CG is also good news, just make sure you don't go and burn yourself out or anything.
suijin
Newly Registered

Re: [WebGL] Bungaroids! (LUP: Aug 17)

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Hey there, new Update today. I've been trying to test some things that I can only test once I build and upload, so if you've been trying to play over the last couple hours, there may have been some sketchy moments. I should be done for the day now. This was kinda quick for an update, but I had a list of things I wanted to get done this week, and I've finished all of them.

So you should now be completely immune to gold impacts. For a while (today), you were immune to most impacts, but not the hardest/fastest ones, but it should be completely fixed now. Do let me know if you detect any unwanted behavior.

I tried to change the controller inputs, but it's no good. It works fine in Unity's Editor, which suggests it would work fine in a standalone executable, so maybe I'll offer that, but I've got no idea where I would upload it to. (Well actually, maybe here, but I was hoping for something more portal-like) If anyone is familiar with Unity WebGL, I'd be interested in opinions. The problem at the moment is using the Vertical Axis for forward/backward thrust. Using the same stick for both H and V axis is a bitch to control (and means you have to reduce thrust to turn). The "3rd Axis" is the shoulder buttons, but these buttons do nothing in WebGL. Axis is supposed to be analog input, so I could change it to use A,B/X,O buttons, but this will involve some precision engineering to change the thrusters from an Axis input to a Button input.

There are 12 rewardCGs now, my thought is that eventually, I will divide the game into 3 stages, each with 12 CG associated with it. So after clearing the 12th stage, you start over with a harder bunch of asteroids. I'm thinking 2nd stage is tetrahedral asteroids that split into 3 pieces, and 3rd stage is cubic asteroids that split into 4 pieces. Maybe also some of the "wildlife" from Aceroids.

You can now get hit by asteroids and upgrade your armor level to defend against them. Bigger hits will do more damage. If you get killed, you keep half of your gold, and get to try again. If you are down to 1/5 of your max health, the Exit will appear and you can bail. You only get a new CG and increase the level if you clear all of the asteroids and exit safely.

Next big thing will probably be a more technical upgrade system, where you can upgrade more specific components. Turning, Thrust, Brakes, Armor Max, Damage Ratio, Weapon Power, Weapon Range, Weapon Size, Magnet Range, Magnet Power, etc. I might add some gadgets too, like a shield or tractor beam or some kind of Tails robot that collects gold for you. Any ideas for gadgets that you'd like to see, let me know.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:00 pm

I"ve been puzzling over how Cascade's portion of the game will work. The general idea is that Cascade will reward you with 3D reward CG based on how much money you spend. So if you've bought 50% of all upgrades, you've unlocked 50% of Cascade's reward CG, once you've finished all the upgrades, you've got access to all of Cascade's reward CG, and so on.

The big question is what degree of storytelling will be involved. Should I write some kind of story that explains the reward CG, like Cascade starts out as a stranger and becomes your girlfriend, or do you just get a message flashing by that says "New Cascade CG unlocked!"

One thought about the process is that unlocking Cascade CG could coincide with unlocking new things in the shop. So lets say that you need to buy weapon upgrade 4 to unlock a torpedo weapon, so once you get up to weapon upgrade 4, you also unlock a new Cascade CG.

At the beginning, I wasn't sure if I was going to do full animations or sequential art, but I'm now leaning closer to sequential art. I've been looking into it, and apparently there's some kind of different set-up you need to put videos into Unity, and since making videos in the first place is also something of a chore, I'm thinking of just skipping it. I definitely want animations for Ion Aces, so they won't be far off anyways.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby Ungawa » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Just for me, a story gets me going far more than some shiny update. To keep me, I'd rather have an emotional hook than have a new pic involved.
Ungawa

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:49 am

Having a story would require writing a story, which unfortunately can involve a lot of staring blankly and going "uhhhhhhhh...." I would definitely love to give you a story about Cascade, but I'm not wild about writing one.

If the point is to have a relationship with Cascade, it's necessary (or at least insanely easier) to develop the character of "you". I see a couple different options.

Male: You are an average male, with an adventurous streak that leads you to the dangerous job of asteroid mining. Your relationship with Cascade starts as professional, but as the two of you grow more comfortable with each other, you realize that your private parts fit together and start fucking each other's brains out.

Female: You play as a female. You start out as just friends, then as your friendship gets more intimate, you start skin-ship and then fucking.

Other: You play as an R2D2 or something like that. Since Cascade is a mechanic, she likes robots and is no stranger to using machines sexually.

The ship you fly could be significant. Let's say it's an AstroWars era Voi-303 fighter. The protagonist fought in the AstroWars as a Voi-303 pilot and was allowed to keep the fighter as a severance package. Cascade the mechanic is a fan of the Voi-303 and is impressed that the protagonist was a fighter pilot who flew her favorite machine. Possibly, Cascade also served in the AstroWars as a mechanic and her job was to service Voi-303s. The world after the AstroWars is a hard one, and the pilot has a hard time adjusting to civilian life (especially if it's a robot that was built to pilot fighters in the AstroWars), hence taking the dangerous and exciting job of mining gold from asteroids.

Slightly different version: The AstroWars were ages ago. The protagonist bought an old Voi-303 from space army surplus, with the hairbrained scheme of using it for mining asteroids in the dangerous Gold Nebula. Cascade the mechanic is used to working on more mundane machines and is excited by the opportunity to restore the Voi-303 to fighting shape. This is a little less dramatic, but makes the upgrades make more sense.

The problem with writing a love story is that relations take time, and taking time to get to know Cascade before fucking her could be tedious. There has to be some kind of proof for the player that there will be worthwhile sex scenes later, and there cannot be some big opening story that gets in the way of playing the arcade stages. Narrative hook. So it would be better to start the story somewhere in the middle and explain how we got to where we are through conversation later.

Thus, it might make more sense for the protagonist to already know Cascade at the beginning of the game. If You and Cascade were both veterans of the AstroWars, maybe you served together, Cascaded serviced your Voi-303 in the war, and now she's servicing your Voi-303 as asteroid miners. Or maybe you and Cascade are married, you move out to the Frontier together and blast asteroids on the fringes of civilization, and then fuck each others brains out like newlyweds. Or if You are a robot, maybe you were invented by Cascade to pilot the space fighter that she uses to mine asteroids for herself, and she has also constructed you to be capable of sex.

That said, the 2D reward CG is there to keep people busy, so there's a bit more space to allow people to get to know Cascade more slowly.

Finally, there's the question of whether or not to make the 2D reward CG part of the story. My original idea was that the disks are relics of a lost civilization, and you find them floating in space incidentally on your asteroid mining missions. It could be that the real goal of the protagonist is to collect these disks, rather than to collect gold from asteroids (since, let's face it, that IS your real goal).
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:53 pm

(Can't stop talking)

The other route to go with the Cascade reward CG, is that each unlockable is a series of pictures, like the Cascade Pool Pin-up series, here: http://acethesupervillain.newgrounds.com/art/

A lot of the 3D hentai I like also follows this format: Peach & Zelda vs Bowser by Mongo Bongo :: Cassidy's Abduction by DizzyDills :: Kubus Sci-Fi set by Zafo

DizzyDills has made a few with words in them: Dizzy News Network :: Invasion (Weed & Seed)

When I made Flash games, they were seen all over the world, and most of the world doesn't speak English or hates reading, so it was always best to make games with as little English as possible. But now things are different, and I have no idea how worldly Patreon or HTML5 sites are going to be, although I've noticed a lot of the developers on LoK don't use English as their first language.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:49 am

Hey gang,

It's been asked of me several times, and now I've finally got a video demonstration of how to make to make anthro hentai from scratch (and reference). It's available for my $5 patrons, here: https://www.patreon.com/acethesupervill ... rdTier=500

This the final version of the anthro hentai I make in the demonstration:
CG36preview.png
CG36preview.png (83.03 KiB) Viewed 2447 times

In other news, I also just learned that I can set my patreon url to whatever I want, so patreon.com/acethesupervillain is finally GO.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:13 pm

New and improved Cascade the Shark. Not sure if this will be the final version, but I'm getting tired of tinkering.

2017_09_01_cascade_preview.jpg
2017_09_01_cascade_preview.jpg (177.09 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:20 pm

Cascaded is rigged up and ready to set sail:
2017_09_03_cascade_preview.jpg
2017_09_03_cascade_preview.jpg (194.22 KiB) Viewed 2326 times

Well, except for the teeth, but I'm not sure I want the teeth. I also added some props for some reason.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Okay, I did a quick little movie thing to help hunt for bugs in the rig. I found some. I fixed some. Specifically, one of the issues with the previous version was that I used an actual reflection engine to give the edges a little glow. It looks good, but unfortunately, it slows the crap out of the renderer. So I switched back to the method I used on the kangaroo, which is more cartoony but looks okay and holy shit, renders way faster. The tail is also not articulated as well as it could be, but I might just avoid it rather than try to fix it. Gonna be lots of cowgirl and standing sex for Cascade.

This is the animation. It's a big file, so give it a minute or so to load.

Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

2017_09_04_bodyscanner_movie.swf [ 8.72 MiB | Viewed 2292 times ]

I forget if I said so, but I've decided to use comic panels for the Cascade Reward CG in Bungaroids, as this should keep the file size down and the design time quick and it gives me an easy way to add dialog if I want to. And it's an opportunity to practice staging and scene composition, which isn't something I got to practice to my satisfaction in school.

If anyone is interested, I bought the scenery here from Unity Store, it's the Low Poly SciFi Pack: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/94028 I also bought the Sci-Fi Apartment: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/85211 but the other pack was more ready-to-go out of the box.
AcetheSuperVillain

Next

Return to Non-Flash Projects