[ABW] A Breeding Wind - Löve Project

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

[ABW] A Breeding Wind - Löve Project

Postby Mandulis » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:25 pm

Hello everybody,

I recently play at Breeding Season and I think this game is amazing. But sadly it’s abandoned.
So I searched other game like this, and I found 1-2 games, but not one of them are developed as well BS.
So, I took my keyboard, I took Löve (a very powerful 2D game engine) and I retroprogramed a big part of BS, just for the fun. Currently, it haven’t any scenario, any graphics (because I’m bad in the arts) and I want to add some other possibilities (like Malicia! Season’s Breeding for example).

Here you can find some links :
My game (in x86/x64 for windows and the .love file)
http://mandulis.uphero.com/ABW_0.1.zip
http://mandulis.uphero.com/ABW_0.2.zip
(I attach the file if the link doesn't work)

Löve (2D Game Engine)
https://love2d.org/

Malicia! Season’s Breeding
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6994&cache=1

Breeding Season
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2954&cache=1

What is missing in this game :
- Graphics
- Some traits on monsters (currently I programed only good traits)

What I want to add :
- Hunting (like Malicia! Season’s Breeding, but with another little game)

Nota : the game can be played on Linux / Mac, but you need to use the .love file and read the subject on Löve wiki :
https://love2d.org/wiki/Game_Distribution

Sorry for any mistakes in my English, I’m French ^^” (but I am open for rectification)

Changelog 0.2
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

-Add quests
-Add bad end
-Add nursery time after birth
-Add the begin of the story

-Change music
-Change monster races

Edit : Correction by ValturNaa
Attachments
ABW_0.2.zip
(13.91 MiB) Downloaded 167 times
Last edited by Mandulis on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mandulis
Newly Registered

Re: [ABW] A Breeding Wind - Löve Project

Postby ValturNaa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Actually your English isn't bad for a non-native speaker. Just replace "theses arts" with with "the arts" or "art", "no one of them" with "not one of them", and "can be play" with "can be played" and it'll be fine.

So...if it has no scenarios, no graphics, no quests, and no guild points, what does it have in terms of gameplay? I hope you at least have some placeholder arts so people can see the game mechanics at work. I'm curious though to see what you've got. Definitely going to try and download, though so far it's having trouble loading the page. As another big fan of breeding season, I'm always eager to see others attempting to rebuild and improve it.
I'm not mad. I'm only forty and eighty percent crazy, and that's split between two personalities, which makes me almost half sane.
ValturNaa

Postby Mandulis » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:28 pm

Actually, the actual game is only "mechanicals". I will add a little scenario (it will grow later). I work on quests / guild points (link between these two points).

But I can't do graphics (except a little UI) because I don't know draw ^^' (and currently I haven't time to learn :S).

As I say, I done this game just for fun. Maybe, one day it will become a real game, or maybe it will stay a draft.
The best point on Breeding Season for me is his gameplay, I spend so many time to create the perfect monster, with all traits on #5. That's why I retroprogram it ^^.

If someone want to add graphics, I can help him to integrat them and/or give the source code.

Nota : I added the game in attach file on the main post :)
Mandulis
Newly Registered

Postby Lenbasisky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi, i'm artist who could be interested to help you out with your game, but i would want to ask you some questions first to collaborate. What makes your game different from any other similar game as Cloud Meadow and the same Breeding Season? Because, even if you want to imitate Breeding Season, you have to put something a little more original ( mechanics characters, story ecc..), if not why should the players play your game instead something like Cloud Meadow for example (i know that it's a big project, but it's also the best example to use in this case). The fact you wanted to use a retro game music in your game is related to the idea to make a sort of retro game with pixeled art or is it something you chose it randomly?
And with your this game do you have the intention to create a spiritual remake of Breeding season or simply a game inspired by that one? I ask you that because if you intentions are related to the first thing i listed, if you want to take seriously this project is really bad idea. First of all, if you want to bring back a big name as BS you have a big responsibility on the audience of that game and even if you create a good game but not good as BS it would be considered a failure by that audience. And it would very hard to make the same quality that BS had. And even if we reached that quality, there is the risk that H-Bomb could come back to take you down your project or even worse steal it to rebegin his game from that. That's why it should be better to make simply a game who is inspired by BS.
And speaking about originality, the monsters should be more interesting than a classic wolf man, cat woman ecc.. Ok that they're the first monsters you should have, but take in considerations that they are the "first monsters" and at the beginning of the development, if you want to show something interesting to a possible audience you have to present to them some monsters with a good concept design.
Lenbasisky

Postby Mandulis » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:20 pm

Hey, I note your remarks.

To give some answers :
Breeding Season is only a base, I really like mechanics in this game. But my game don’t need to look like BS. I took some points like BS to start. (I choose the music because it’s easiest to find generic theme in 8-bit, and I like 8-bit music ^^)
Currently, the main work that I have done is mechanic (UI, Breeding, Hereditary, Feed effect). Every visible or listenable things in the game at this step is only accessory for the moment (it’s better to write cat, wolf than monster1, monster2 in monster races ^^)

Why the game will be different ? BS, in my opinion, is just a sandbox, you do only what you want, don’t need to follow the scenario, don’t need to done quests … (but I really like it). I want to set difficulty, to add constraints, to add consequences if you don’t done a quest, to add consequences if you don’t take care of your monsters ! (and I have some other ideas, like random events, challenges, ….)

About the audience, clearly, if people think that is a bad game, it’s not a problem for me. It’s not my job, I don’t want to become famous and I don’t want to earn money with this. (But if someone want to work on this game for one of these reason, it’s not a problem)
As I say, I done this game just for fun. Maybe, one day it will become a real game, or maybe it will stay a draft.

Currently, the game is a draft, too weak for a team work maybe. But if he grows, I don’t want to impose themes because I wrote them in the draft. If you don’t like cat and don’t want to draw it, I delete cat and use dragon, worm, or anything you want (or more ! anything you suggest).

I take the point on the originality and I will work on it for next update.

I hope I answer your questions :) Let me know if you want more.

PS : I don’t know Cloud Meadow, sorry, I will search information about this game.
Mandulis
Newly Registered

Postby dullman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:45 am

Hmm if you want to create a game about breeding monsters than good look, I myself decide to create something similar although my project is about breeding with human females but certainly i feel like many of current one breeding are weak even doesn't compare to breeding season which was a pretty weak itself with somehow stupid time management (I just prefer something along line where we breed several pairs in the same time so more management).
But what I found interesting is this Love engine that you use, I mean many of those 2d engine that i searched lacked some features (like easy to add custom scripts, possibility to use vector art, shaders) which usually meant the project i planned could not be done with all features, so how is this engine for all of your planned features (if you want to make something along bs it should at least support shaders to recolor sprites since making it by cpu would means slow loading time of characters, or they is chance to create every possible color combination in separate files but it would means too much used space. I mean i understand you did not think about graphics now but if you ever would want to add it to game it's better to think it now than later.
dullman

Postby Mandulis » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Hello Dullman,

I didn't try many game engine, but I have already used Flash / Unity.

Why did I choose Löve ?
Because LUA is very simple to use, and Löve has a great community.
Graphics can be easily used and modify (see : )

But careful ! It’s not an environment like Unity / Flash with easy graphic approach, it’s more an easy code approach and the graphic work need to be done with other tools.

I don’t think that Löve use vector, but transparency png work, and you can rotate and recolor them with Löve functions. I see shader function in the wiki, but never used it.
Mandulis
Newly Registered

Postby Lenbasisky » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:24 am

Ok your ideas about the mechanics for your game could be interesting and i would have also some concepts to addt to the game if you will start our collaborations, but first to do i would just want to know your ideas about the concepts of the game in general. I mean characters (especially these ones, because even if they dont seem to be important are instead really important to make the game looks like better to see), environment, ecc and not only the random events which will be in game. I would want to know if you have a clear idea of what to put in game to improve its estetic. Tell me all that on my email [email protected], so we can speak in private about these things.
Lenbasisky

Postby dullman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:55 am

Mandulis Wrote:Hello Dullman,

I didn't try many game engine, but I have already used Flash / Unity.

Why did I choose Löve ?
Because LUA is very simple to use, and Löve has a great community.
Graphics can be easily used and modify (see : )

But careful ! It’s not an environment like Unity / Flash with easy graphic approach, it’s more an easy code approach and the graphic work need to be done with other tools.

I don’t think that Löve use vector, but transparency png work, and you can rotate and recolor them with Löve functions. I see shader function in the wiki, but never used it.

Hmm unity has an easy graphic approach? I mean i kinda agree with that if someone use assets from store like me (I basically used two different assets one which is MVVM oriented bust since it stopped being developed although goes open source, while the other is more traditional with MVC approach with small support to MVVM aproach which i didn't use since it's not works on all platforms), but it's mainly more programming approach if you want to create something more complicated (probably similar to any other engines).
As for your choice my biggest flaw with love engine from your description would be lua I mean i tried to adapt lua interpreter in one of games of mine but dropped idea to only most simplest ifs since basically writing a one code takes forever for me (in normal programming language it takes 1/10 of this).

But if it uses lua it should means the project is easy modifiable by modders?

Why I ask those question ?
Simple since myself I trying to create a pretty similar game I thought that maybe I can help you with project if you want, and myself could find new one good 2d engine for future projects.
But there is only a possibility since practically what I want in these kind of game (and plan to include in my project) are few features that would differentiate it from BS:
- First we do not have access to female monsters through breeding we expand our breeding females by questing (basically we recruit them by persuasion some of them are related to MC and those are easier to recruit whilst others are completely strangers and those are harder to recruit)
- We do not have some artificial stoping from breeding several different monsters in the same time as long as we have enough females free and able to breed new ones
- All of that is in real time with active pause, so basically in womb for every tick there is a chance to fertilize one of present eggs by present sperm, so it's possible to bear twins which are fertilized in slightly different time (eggs stopped being produced after 48h of first ones being fertilized, so practically we those 48h + egg life to fertilize a twin), by different fathers
- Females are leveled up through giving birth to monsters(animals) that are used to complete mission(s) and the reward are practically increase the stat that client was seeking (like for example monster with high DEX are easily breed by female with high DEX, and if client search for DEX they give a reward some stat points to female DEX). So practically each one of females can specialize in breeding different sets of monsters, but also we can in long runtime get a universal birthing machine with high stats for everything.
- Monsters are either used to complete missions, give some money/ rank up in guild to receive new kind(s) of animals(monsters) or to keep it for ourselves to gain a good amount of semen in our females :)
- Also the monsters that we keep will give a semen only finite amount of time (or maybe to easier game only finite amount of semen after that they would stop produce new semen)
- As for females their race can be only one or each one has a unique race for her but all of them have their own personality and can speak with us. But in lore i do want to include being a female used to breeding is just one of jobs not anything to be shamed, so as long we treat them well (according to their characteristics) we can gain a trusted aids to our female, but if we treat them bad they can leave us or even bring us some other troubles. Here I thought that I like the lore where each monsters, animals has a female with humanoid(s) appearance and with intelligence the same as humanity whilst male monsters can only breed with anyone. Also human females, So I would like to see different races for females (like many of females we would have will be a humans, whilst many others will be a single represents of different beast(magical) races like cat girls, elf(s), fairies etc.
- since the females are intelligent so we can interact with them which is something that would keep our character busy (likee breeding in breeding season).
- Interact is a special thing that our MC can spend there are different kind of interacts like talking with one of our females, recruiting new ones (for single we usually needs several session depends on difficulty, sometimes we also needs to do something for her or we gets some mission without rewards etc.), exploring wildness to catch new males for breeding, going through some kind of rpg quest for some benefits etc.
- some kind of managing farm in BS it was for me too little of it basically we could only breed monters which takes time, so no matter how many monters we had we only could do few breeding(s) through time, I want game where we can practically breed many new monsters, which are average in stats but if we want to gain those which we can use for completing missions we must use our brain to do that.
- Do I mention moddability of game? I project all my games to load data from text files in runtime so many things of that game has users can modded (like if the game is too hard for them they can make them easier or harder depends on skills).

I write large amount of text but it's practically all my plans for a simple breeding game I want to see (I make it myself but currently I only at the beginnings of road).
If you agree with few of those things and feel like you might use some help for porgramming I can join you and help develop your game,
But if you feel like you don't like those ideas just follow your vision of game.
Also there might things that you like from those I wrote but you feel like you prefer doing it yourself without help so you can use those ideas yourself if you feel like that, I do not mind.
dullman

Postby Mandulis » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 pm

I will say one thing but don’t repeat it ;) Love2D is mainly used for open source project, it’s hard to protect the code. Someone with big patience can easily “stole” my code and modify the game. I don’t want to had more possibility about modding, but maybe I’ll removed the little protection that I create on my code. Sadly, I think that some config (like only one save, you can’t come back on your action) make the difficulty and the spirit of the game and I don’t want to see people remove them because they play one time with easy mode and finish the game without any challenge.

For your points, I had some difficult to understand everything (sorry, it’s hard to translate a big text). I think we don’t have the same point of view on a breeding game. I prefer a game where we manage a lot of thing and shouldn't forget a point (bad end and reset game) but where we can take the time to use our brain. A real time game sounds good, but it’s different that I want to create.
To increase the pleasure to manage, I’ll add parallel activity, like arena tournament, theft, brothel with some risks. It’s currently in development with the story.

For the other points that I don’t mention, I keep ideas in my mind, but I want to finish the current work before change it or adds new features, thanks for it.
For team work (Dullman and Lenbasisky), I think it’s too early for the project. Currently I work only 4-5 hours by week on it, and I think it will grow too quickly for me. But in 1-2 month, when I’ll finish my current development, I’ll become open for that.
Mandulis
Newly Registered

Postby Lenbasisky » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:35 pm

Ok, good to know. I will see what you will made with the game after this/these 1-2 month/s of development then.
Lenbasisky

Postby dullman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:34 pm

Mandulis Wrote:I will say one thing but don’t repeat it ;) Love2D is mainly used for open source project, it’s hard to protect the code. Someone with big patience can easily “stole” my code and modify the game. I don’t want to had more possibility about modding, but maybe I’ll removed the little protection that I create on my code. Sadly, I think that some config (like only one save, you can’t come back on your action) make the difficulty and the spirit of the game and I don’t want to see people remove them because they play one time with easy mode and finish the game without any challenge.

For your points, I had some difficult to understand everything (sorry, it’s hard to translate a big text). I think we don’t have the same point of view on a breeding game. I prefer a game where we manage a lot of thing and shouldn't forget a point (bad end and reset game) but where we can take the time to use our brain. A real time game sounds good, but it’s different that I want to create.
To increase the pleasure to manage, I’ll add parallel activity, like arena tournament, theft, brothel with some risks. It’s currently in development with the story.

For the other points that I don’t mention, I keep ideas in my mind, but I want to finish the current work before change it or adds new features, thanks for it.
For team work (Dullman and Lenbasisky), I think it’s too early for the project. Currently I work only 4-5 hours by week on it, and I think it will grow too quickly for me. But in 1-2 month, when I’ll finish my current development, I’ll become open for that.

:) I see you are a reluctant to real time flow of time but since it would destroy your idea for game, it's a shame since I myself considered this as something that would allow me to introduce things like eggs/fertilized eggs/fetuses/etc. where we would be able to get twins from two different fathers etc.
As for managing i wrote that i also likes more management of farm where we can use our brain.
As for my proposition I just proposed to help but myself i also only available on weekends to help so I understand that currently you are lacking of time, but nonetheless good luck with your project.
dullman

Postby WonderGamer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:22 am

When I tried running this, got nothing but a black screen with some boxes (no graphics)... Going to look at the readme again & see what I did wrong, try again... :?
"It just keeps getting better"
"Live on, play hard. WonderGamer out!"

WonderGamer

Postby Mandulis » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:56 pm

Nothing wrong :
Currently, it haven’t any scenario, any graphics
Mandulis
Newly Registered

Postby Stevenator » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:28 am

Oh wow I must say before anything else I LOVE the music option at the corner.

So many games just have either music on or music off, no in between. I appreciate that a volume slider can be difficult but a choice between ear cripplingly loud music and no music at all is just annoying...

Anyway I'm always glad to hear of more breeder games, of course this is early days but I hope it goes well.

Keep communication good between the team, so many potentially amazing games get destroyed by poor organization. Breeding Season is an apt example here.

What can we expect from this engine? I honestly liked the original Breeding Season art even if it was super low quality stuff, the style and content of the game did it for me.
If it can be as good as that or better I'm sold already.

Or are we talking more static images? Animations are great but good writing can make static images fun too.

Apologies if this stuff has been talked about already it's quite late where I live :lol:
Stevenator

Postby Mandulis » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:10 am

Hello Stevenator,

Thanks for your support (the sound slider isn't really difficult to program, I can easily add more steps if necessary).

For Löve, it can manage pictures and animations (exept vector picture). Currently, I don't know if the game will have animations, it's depending on the graphic part (0% done ^^) and I'm open to all art style :).
Mandulis
Newly Registered

Postby Mandulis » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:15 am

Hello, a little up for the new version.

Changelog 0.2
Spoiler (click to show/hide):
-Add quests
-Add bad end
-Add nursery time after birth
-Add the begin of the story

-Change music