Kingdom of Deception

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Re: Kingdom of Deception [Updated August 3]

Postby hornyninja » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Can always count on Sierra Lee to crank out good content! Look forward to downloading later!!
Come check out my silly Sex Quest! ^_^
Blog | Forum
hornyninja

Re: Kingdom of Deception [Public Release October 14]

Postby Sierra Lee » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:12 pm

New version is released publicly!

You can download it from the links in the post here.
Sierra Lee

Postby Firefall » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:01 am

Huh, lots of choices in this one. Seems like there's a lot of different branches this can go, I'll have to put some time in to testing out some more of em at some point. Thanks for more great content.
Firefall

Postby Igor90 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:19 pm

First off i would like to say that i love this game. So thankyou :D

Though i do have some queries about the latest update.

Is the fight with the guard supposed to be that difficult to get through? i tried multiple different ways of getting past him, I.e making health potions and various combat tactics to beat him. Granted i finally did it but the fight just seemed to be harder than the sparring session with Lutvrog (can't spell his name).

Also is there another way to deal with the hunter witness aside from the haze wine? just thought it was bit straight forward, is there another way like seducing him or something like that?

are we going to be able to leave the camp at any point?? because i thought that by now we could at least go a little ways away from the camp without a reason. aside from the hunting and things it just seems we are a little restricted considering we are by this point a functioning member of the tribe.

Is there some kind of hidden activation to get Lutvrog to offer the handicap? i tried sparring him for like a week in game and i got nothing just kept getting Sabia's ass kicked xD.

Those are my only queries. As i said i love this game and wish i could pledge to it to support you guys in its making. i really look forward to what you guys bring out next, it will definitely be worth the wait ;)
Igor90
Newly Registered

Postby Bathers107 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:32 am

The fight with the guard is difficult for anyone without health potions, my guess is that it's intentional as an introduction to tougher fights that could influence how the story goes if you win or lose.

The haze wine is so far the only way to deal with the hunter witness.

If you want the handicap you need to spar with 5 normal orcs and win, then challenge Lutvorg, he will then offer a handicap (win that fight for some nice rewards)
Bathers107

Postby Sierra Lee » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:25 pm

Glad you like the game! Bathers107 has already given you some good answers, so I'll just jump in to add a few details.

We did indeed intend the fight to be more challenging than most previous ones. There will be more combat next update, so we wanted to encourage players to explore the combat system a little.

You will definitely be able to leave the camp! What you've seen so far is just the first segment of the game, our plans are much more expansive than one orc camp.
Sierra Lee

Postby lostone2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:56 pm

Regarding the fight against the guard, it helps to equip the right equipment:

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

In this case Jadk's Silver Blade is better than the Orc Axe, because the soldier is weak against magic.

And of course to purchase all the training (and practice the self-training too). A level 4 Sabia is more than enough to beat him with ease.
lostone2

Postby Igor90 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:03 pm

ah awesome stuffs, thanks for the information guys :) much appreciated.
though when i did the fight i used the axe when i defeated the guard, so i will try it with the silver blade next time to see the difference.

just another quick question has anyone done or offered to do a comprehensive walk-through for the game? giiven the various paths you can take and the choices you can make?

i know its still early on but your game is awesome and has a lot of content, i just figured that someone at some point would offer to make one so that people can enjoy all the content you guys are offering :)
Igor90
Newly Registered

Postby lostone2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:35 pm

There are two guides that I follow:

Between the two, you should be fine.
lostone2

Postby Igor90 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:19 pm

ahhh thanks very much :) will be helpful indeed!
Igor90
Newly Registered

Postby FMC » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:16 pm

I kind of wish you could choose to not kill the orcs that molest you at the bar
in order to get a little more sub points or something. Cause if I play this game, I do want to go full sub points. xD
FMC

Postby lostone2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:16 pm

In case that you're not following their Patreon there are some relevant news that you should know:

1. Due to internal changes in the game mechanisms, old saves won't work.
  2. They are going to implement a gallery mode that uses persistent data independent of your saves. Once you unlock a scene, you will be able to rewatch it from the main menu.
  3. The scenes at the prologue had been removed (this happened during the development of the 0.3.x branch). But they will be reused at some point.
  4. There is a new interface for the shops.
  5. Due to the scope of the new update, the testing is going to take longer.
  6. They have announced that the testing for v. 0.4.0 it's going to start.
It looks like plenty of changes are coming. I'm wondering how the game and story feel. To me, the point 3 is key and I personally like it.
lostone2

Postby Sierra Lee » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:47 pm

The newest version of the game has been released on Patreon!

Version 0.4.0 contains the following:
- 5 base CGs, 8 different scenes
- Many of the scenes are involved in the central arena event, which has many different events and variables that can change depending on how you play for this and future updates, so be careful how you play.
-Many new characters, bases and backgrounds.
-Fully reworked systems and core engine changes.
-A lot new reveals and lore progression.
-Fully remade shops with new assets to make it easier to use them. The new work option for the shops will appear in the shop itself as a button.
-New gallery for each CG you have seen, with the option to unlock the new ones after you see them.
-Now that we are far into the game the update has one dom and one sub CG, so you might not see everything in one play through.

As usual, the release will be out later for $5 backers and released publicly in a week. We hope everyone enjoys!
Sierra Lee

Re: Kingdom of Deception [Public Release January 26]

Postby Sierra Lee » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:50 pm

The newest version of KoD is now publicly available! You can download it from our blog:
https://hreinngames.blogspot.com/

Version 0.4.0 contains the following:
- 5 base CGs, 8 different scenes
- Many of the scenes are involved in the central arena event, which has many different events and variables that can change depending on how you play for this and future updates, so be careful how you play.
- Many new characters, bases and backgrounds.
- Fully reworked systems and core engine changes.
- A lot of new reveals and lore progression.
- Fully remade shops with new assets to make it easier to use them. The new work option for the shops will appear in the shop itself as a button.
- New gallery for each CG you have seen, with the option to unlock the new ones after you see them.
- Now that we are far into the game the update has one dom and one sub CG, so you might not see everything in one play through.

Version 0.4.2 contains:
- Multiple balance changes that reduce the money requirement for the feast.
- Various typos, bugfixes, and other polishing.

Detail of the changes to feast balance:
- Rewards for doing well on the catgirl quest are increased.
- Money obtained from the bar orcs is increased.
- If you saved Kulgan, he brings a gift to your feast.
- If you have a high score with your Captain (or Jadk), they provide an item for the feast.

Enjoy the game!
Sierra Lee

Postby Nobudi » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:53 am

I have to wonder if you have some sort of flowchart wherever you work on this game for where the different directions you can take on this game. It's so complicated that I feel a bit overwhelmed sometimes. Not that it's a bad thing.
Nobudi

Postby Sierra Lee » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:11 pm

Nobudi Wrote:I have to wonder if you have some sort of flowchart wherever you work on this game for where the different directions you can take on this game. It's so complicated that I feel a bit overwhelmed sometimes. Not that it's a bad thing.

We have a ton of different design documents related to all the different variables! We hope to fuse them into a choice-based narrative that feels satisfying, though.
Sierra Lee

Postby MerDeLumiere » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:37 am

A couple errors and typos I've noticed:

During the opening in the tent with Neve after she tells that the traitors were hired by a mage with purple hair:
"(There are two main questions now. Who all was involved? And why now? Was I going to find something Lynn wanted to keep secret in those ruins? Or was it just a convenient way to isolate me?)" ---> Who all was involved?

During the traitors trial at the end of the part where the orcs offer support or condemn Sabia and they chant her name:
if trialapproval >= 10:
"The response was immediately: almost all the orcs in the hall roared together as one:" ---> The response was immediately

Just a bit before the last error, when the old orc gets his say, if you have 20 or more orc reputation, you get +1 trialapproval and +3 trialapproval. If it's supposed to give 4, then I suppose this isn't doing any harm and it could just as well be left alone, but I figured I'd mention it. I kinda hope it's supposed to be +4; getting 1/3rd of the perfect score requirement make things a bunch easier. Then again, I'd probably just need to lie and say that Sabia was after bandits instead of telling the truth.

During the Red Gods Arena, you can ask Jadk for more advice on the RGA even before the opening ceremony. Maybe there's a conversation that I just missed, but I assume that the previous example of him giving Sabia advice is during the opening ceremony.

Not technically an error or a typo, but the Grayleaf in the potion/ingredient store is... Well, it's grey. Which... makes it look like it's sold out. I enjoy the irony of an item with an infinite supply looking like there's none left, but it might be good to change the image a little. Add a bit of colour to its background? I dunno, sparkles? Sparkles make everything better.

Opinions on the elite tournament battles:

Fight 1:
I can't comment on the newer versions, but in 0.4.0 this fight gave me an interesting lesson in how important stat points are. I played through the new content blind the first time through and it was fairly difficult; not absurdly so, but enough to give me a bit of trouble. I actually couldn't win without the buff from Jadk. That single little point in strength made this fight so much easier the second time through, though. It was an interesting lesson, so I quite liked this fight. If I need to make a big sacrifice to get a stat point in the future, I'd need to consider it.

Fight 2:
This fight has always been doable for me. Even if I don't use centering, all it does is make the fight longer. It demonstrates the debuff mechanic, so I'd say it's mostly fine, but I'd like to see a bit of a greater contrast between the fight with and without centering. Make the orc weaker, but boost the effect of his debuffs; something like that.

Fight 3:
I might just be missing something, but this fight is a bit... disappointing? Is it's mechanic working? I've tried it with interrupting blow, but he usually just immediately starts preparing the same attack. Considering how little damage interrupting blow does, I've found it's more effective to ignore the mechanic and get out as much damage as possible. I think that's a bad lesson to teach players.

Fight 4:
Is this fight supposed to be this hard? I should try fighting it with the orc ring on instead of the catgirl ring, because I suspect he does magic damage. I got a bit frustrated with this fight in 0.4.2. To be fair, that's because I beat it in 0.4.0 using a set of tactics that no longer work. I finally just barely won this fight when I changed from the heavy leather armour to the orc slave armour. He's definitely doing magic damage, right? Heavy leather armour and the catgirl ring = -1 magic armour. Fight number one taught me how much even one point means, so that's why he was wiping the floor with me. It's a good feeling to try different things and figure out what works. Makes me wonder if using the orc ring to give me a total of 1 magic armour will let me win without using both of the buffs on this one fight.

While I was writing this I had a thought and I figured that it might be good to write it down and come back later to see if I got anything right. May as well leave it here, you might get a chuckle off of how far off I am.

Predictions:

The end of 0.4.x implies that in 0.5.x Sabia will finally be able to leave the war camp thanks to her shiny, new troops. That means two likely additions to the game: some kind of regional or world map, and some portion of the large-scale battle system.

It would be easier to travel with a mount, so I'd guess that Sabia is going to want one. I remember that there are better and worse outcomes for the "easy" hellhound, but I don't recall any loss scenario. Which means that you can't avoid fighting and defeating one of the two possible hellhounds. I'm going to guess that Sabia will, for some reason or another, be denied a trained mount and use the old tradition of orcs riding hellhounds that they personally made submit to get an untrained mount instead.

I also suspect that Sabia will be leading her army from... houndback? I obviously don't know how large-scale battles will be handled, but if Sabia personally leads some kind of elite unit, I'd guess that the hellhound will play some kind of role. In a broader sense, I think that training and potentially levelling the hellhound will be part of the game. In an rpg, you have to start from level 1 with a rusty sword: a wild-adjacent mount with no barding and a bunch of low ranking orc warriors with garbage equipment sounds pretty level 1 to me.

I suppose it's possible that Kulgan might be recruitable. Then again, since he can die so early in the game, he might be damned to be a minor character with minimal characterisation. Maybe he could be Sabias adjutant or something like that. Presumably Sabia will be able to upgrade her military forces, so maybe individuals like Kulgan could be "equipped" to a unit as it's leader to provide a boost to it's performance. I dunno, there has be numbers involved somewhere.
MerDeLumiere

Postby Sierra Lee » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:25 am

Thanks for your reports, there were some new ones there! A few quick responses:
- "Who all was involved?" was intended.
- You get +3 trialapproval for having >10, an additional +1 for >20.

Thanks for your feedback on combat - the system is something we'll be working on improving as the game continues. Yes, the fourth orc deals magic damage. And it's always nice to see speculation about the plot. ^-^
Sierra Lee

Postby Bathers107 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:21 pm

3 months since the last update, any word on progress?
Bathers107

Postby Sierra Lee » Fri May 04, 2018 11:19 pm

Bathers107 Wrote:3 months since the last update, any word on progress?

I don't post them here, but we do post previews on Patreon! Our next update post will be the announcement that 0.5.0 is in final testing with patrons.
Sierra Lee

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Flash Projects