[Java] Naohr ~ Meet the Kinky Family [RIP]

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

[Java] Naohr ~ Meet the Kinky Family [RIP]

Postby AngMyDee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi all,

Not active anymore. For more information, look there :

https://naohr.wordpress.com/2017/09/04/naohr-is-dead-long-live-naohr/

Changelog

Booty Shake (v0.4.7) - September 3

Description
Lending mechanim with Lance as a customer.
Lesbian events for female prostitute (enjoy the shyness of Bridgett!)
Quest fixes.
Details
Blog post
Patreon free direct download.

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Lunch time (v0.4.6) - August 27

Description
New chores in the kitchen in the basement, main floor, canteen.
New npcs : Jahiem, Carol and Sebeett,
Sylvian road expanded.
Quests for Symposium (complete)
Details
Blog post
Patreon free direct download.

Slave's kitchen (v0.4.5) - August 20

Description
New chores in the kitchen, quickstart to become slave (but you miss the little event)
Details
Wordpress post and free direct download Patreon post.

Symposium's Aftermath (v0.4.4) - August 13

Description
New item, events triggering the enslavement, new traits for slave BUT no chores, events... once you are a slave
Details

First slave milestone (v0.4.3) - August 06

Description
First slave implementation BUT no available gameplay for the moment. New quests, skills, items and bug fixes.
Details

The Lykanoi Tribe (v0.4.2) - July 30

Description
New quests and notification system.
Details
Free Patreon or blog post.

Quest & all (v0.4.1) - July 23

Description
Speed up loading (~20%), modal reworks, quest screens (quests are not yet available. It will take time.) and treadmill bug fix.
Details
Free Patreon or blog post.

Bera & Sernat (v0.4.0.1) - July 16

Description
New version is available with a brand new calendar, the first periodic events in the farm (beware of the monsters) and bug fixes.
Text styling.
Details
Bera & Sernat
Direct download Patreon post

Symposium is about teamwork (v0.3.12) - July 09

Description
Last event of prostitution canonical path.
Text styling.
Details
https://naohr.wordpress.com/2017/07/09/ ... -teamwork/

Sybille, the exhibitionist (v0.3.11) - June 25

Description
Heterosexual content with Sybille, preparing for the Symposium.
Text styling.
Details
https://naohr.wordpress.com/2017/06/25/ ... bitionist/

Prestor is giving a hand (v0.3.10) - June 18

Description
Heterosexual content with Prestor.
Details
https://naohr.wordpress.com/2017/06/18/ ... ng-a-hand/

Spa & .exe file (v0.3.9) - May 28

Description
An exe file (at last!) and gay content.
Details
https://naohr.wordpress.com/2017/05/28/spa-exe-file/

Home sweet home (v0.3.8) - May 21

Description
Better money boost and room management, typos.
Details
https://naohr.wordpress.com/2017/05/21/home-sweet-home/

Stretching your skills(v0.3.7) - 14 may

Description
More events with Sybille, Tristan, Prestor and Cathy, new items, new places, less typos and a faster game.
Details
https://naohr.wordpress.com/2017/05/14/ ... our-skill/

Stability(v0.3.6) - 07 may

Description
This release lets you gain 10 more points in prostitution skill and reputation and greatly improve the stability.
Details
https://naohr.wordpress.com/2017/05/07/stability/

Swing(v0.3.5) - 30 april

Description
This release lets you gain 10 more points in prostitution skill and reputation with new room and items. Events are vanilla, gay and hetero BDSM.
Details
https://naohr.wordpress.com/2017/04/30/swing/

Great cumming experience(v0.3.4)

Description
This release lets you gain 10 more points in prostitution skill and reputation.
Details
  • New shop : the FurniShop (yes, the name is real...) which lets you buy... furniture for your home. You will get bonuses and encounters opportunities.
  • New event to unlock 60 to 80 (but there is no event from 70 to 80).
  • New events for Sybille, Prestor and the unnamed woman.
Incoming
  • I am experimenting a new placeholder mechanism that would be used in events to allow the use of body part/size/clothes and others improvements.
  • More events for the 60-80 tier

Symposium(v0.3.3)

Description
This release lets you gain 10 more points in prostitution skill and reputation and introduce the main quest for prostitution (at last!).
Details
  • You are going in a real jail if you do not behave correctly.
  • New place : the Futanari Palace (which needs to be unlocked).
  • Main quest : taking part in the Kinky Symposium. Just go the red light district when your expertise is greater than 30.
  • New Event to unlock lv 40 to 60.
  • New events for existing customers.
  • New customer : Sybille.
  • New encounters.
Incoming
  • I plan to rework the kinky skills as it is quite obscure for the moment.

Busted (v0.3.0)

Description
This release lets you gain 10 more points in prostitution skill and reputation and introduce the encounter mechanism.
Details
  • Heat and authority system. Accordingly to your actions, guards might barge in to get a confession. Losing will get you into jail (in a near future !)
  • Encounter system which introduce a new screen. Persuasion in the game will be done with a mini-game letting you use your skills to persuade your opponent.
  • ~10 events shared between Cathy, Prestor and George & Lilith.
Incoming
  • More authority encounters and encounter mechanism

Loading in progress (v0.2.11)

Description
Details
  • New traits : level 3 of Circus freak and futanari lover.
  • a new shiny splash screen letting the player enjoying the scenery while the game is loading.
  • More help on conditions before enabling actions.
  • ~14 events shared between Cathy, Adrianne (the unnamed futanari), Prestor and a new couple : George & Lilith.
Incoming
  • Well, Level 50. Yup. That's original. But the authority should come to distract the player soon.

Above and Beyond (v0.2.10)

Description
Details
  • New traits : Prescience and Circus freak, which will help you during your homework.
  • Stamina reduce your global energy consumption.
  • Charisma improve your earnings.
  • All actions with your customers at home have an efficacy. After some points, spamming it won't get you any xp.
  • 3 new encounters named Cathy, Prestor and the gay dude.
  • New images
Incoming
  • Well, let's get to the level 40 in prostitution profession shall we?

Homework #2 (v0.2.9)

Description
This release improves homework prostitution mechanism.
Details
  • New skills : expertise and reputation which will influence what you can do during encounters and who you can meet. For the moment max value is set to 20.
  • "Work at home" will let you choose if you accept the customer request or turn it down.
  • Interactions with customers at home are extended
  • Images are all conditioned by player's gender (at last!)
Incoming
  • "work at home" action for prostitution will be extended with new encounters, skills and items but max value should remain the same for the moment.

Homework (v0.2.8)

Description
This release introduces homework prostitution mechanism.
Details
  • First version of "work at home".
  • Addition of 2 new locations : the Slippery Slip where you can find prostitution accessories and the Warehouse which can be discovered.
  • Addition of ~10 events with some kink : Futanari, consensual, animals
Incoming
  • "work at home" action for prostitution will be extended

Aphrodisiac bliss (v0.2.7.2)

Description
This release introduce new events and tips mechanism.
Details
  • Addition of 7 items, 6 give temporary bonuses, the last one is... a bed. At last : O
  • Addition of 10 events with some kink : glory hole, strip tease, animals
Incoming
  • "work at home" action for prostitution is in progress

V0.2.4
Description
This release introduce new perks and events.
Details
  • Evolution mechanism is implemented, avatar can switch from profession 1 to profession 2 now.
  • Whore can become a Street Hooker or a Prostitute, they will have unique gameplay and for the moment they can pick specific perks.
  • Each time you get 10 points in the job skill, you get 2 skill points you can use in the skill tree screen.
  • Add Red Light District, Blue Velvet, "For All" School and Divine square as new locations. They can be explored from the market street.
  • Rewrite internal engine to compute bonuses upon event completion. Less bugs.
  • Rewrite the copyright display mechanism.
Incoming
  • I will add prostitution "work at home" feature and more perks

V0.2.3
Description
This release introduce the professions tree view, allowing one to see all professions available for the current job.
Details
  • Fix visual glitches.
  • Add professions tree. For the moment this is only available to the whore profession. It gives a good look at professions I'd like to implement.
Incoming
  • I will work on whore related professions, adding perks/events and evolution mechanism

V0.2.2
Description
This release is absolutely not content oriented but allowed me to prepare game for the next big thing to come : the professions and the skills.
Details
  • Fix visual glitches.
  • Add skill tree. For the moment this is only available to the whore profession and there is only one family perk.
Incoming
  • The profession tree screen is missing, I will work on it this week before pouring new content

V0.1.1
Description
Nothing fantastic in this one, no content, just better accessibility for small screen. It was fun playing around with JavaFX.
There are some minor glitches though, I will fix them during next refactoring steps.
Details
  • Minimal screen size is 800*600.
  • 3 fonts size can be chosen from the option menu. It will scale up all components (but there is no control over usability, so that basically big font on tiny screen won't be good at all)
  • Fix some typos blocking game launch if started on *nix.
Incoming
  • I will work on more content on French version and English one. I guess I will ship next Sunday : )

In short

Meet The Kinky Family is the first chapter of the game taking place in Naohr, a Fantasy world where monsters and humanoids live (sometimes peacefully) with each other.
It will focus on the sex workers and let you be one of them. You will start as a whore, working in a dull brothel and slowly climb the sex ladder, dominating people as a Dominatrix or influencing the mighty as a Courtesan.
Or you might just fall, becoming a complete slut or slave, doing anything to please your masters…
This is your choice.

​How to start the game

The game needs Java 8 with JavaFX, if you don't have it installed, you can find it at https://www.java.com/fr/download/.
Alternatively, you can grab the windows version which contains an exe file and do not bother with java installation.

You can download my game from the directory : https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xhx1fbok1j073/Naohr just pick the latest one at the moment! (You can also "follow" the folder so that you are notified each time there is a new game there)

Please check https://naohr.wordpress.com/how-to-play/ for more details

Everything can be played with the mouse, but I added some support for keystrokes :

• arrow and tabulation which can be used to navigate through the interface.
  • Enter which performs selected action.
  • Escape which opens the menu
  • Alt which hides the UI (to enjoy the scenery!)

If you have any issue or find a bug, feel free to send me an email (please, attach the file named general.log, it will be helpful !)

Disclaimer : Images are not mine. I referenced the one I found.

What you can find

You can find :

• 3 jobs which have not have full content yet : whore, street hooker, prostitute(done).
  • A profession view allowing you to do your work and a profession tree view allowing you to see possible evolution of your current profession.
  • Something like 600 events on which 200 are rated NSFW. They are ranged from super light to heavy. I am well aware writing is ... not good but feel free to improve!
  • 2 jobs which are partially implemented. They should be recycled in a near future : baker, farmer and have complete associated profession tree.
  • A fetish toggle feature accessible from the settings which allow you to enable/disable any fetish. By the way, if you want some which are not yet listed, feel free to tell it
  • A "Copyright" feature so that people can find out who draw/write this wonderful piece of story they are fapping on
  • A home which can be customized like building new rooms, decorating existing ones
  • A light "day & night" feature
  • A calendar view
  • A quest view
  • A fully usable inventory (consume/equip/throw)
  • A malleable avatar (but there is not yet any items which change any attribute...)
  • A trait system allowing to give unique abilities to your avatar
  • Stats and increase/decrease feature
  • Save & load
  • Easy translation feature
    • just translate every *.properties into new local, register it, and tada.
  • and... a json-based script engine which allows customization and content creation easily :
    • locations/professions/events/stories can be added, just put them in the right folder
    • They can have conditions (player must have item X equipped, or having boobs > B cup...),
    • modify the avatar (increase in stats, increase in boobs, items)
    • placeholders are supported (such as injecting player's boob size right into the text)
    • conditional expressions are supported (output specific text only if some criteria are respected such as female avatar...)
  • Resizable screen
  • Multiple fonts size which will scale every components
  • Skills and traits linked to your profession

The end, at last

Well, thank you very much if you read the whole post!
If you want to help, any feedback is much appreciated : )

And if you want to draw pictures/write stories/beta-play, feel free to contact me, I would be very glad to hear from you!
Attachments
encounterResize.png
First version of encounter mechanism
professionsTreeView.png
Whore related professions
brothel.png
Working in the brothel
exploringFarm.png
Exploring the farm
inventory.png
Inventory view
mainScreen.png
greyish main screen
Last edited by AngMyDee on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 43 times in total.
AngMyDee

Re: [Java] Sandbox Game ~ Naohr

Postby Smisenost » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:05 pm

Due to the design choice of making the window size a static size, playing this game is impossible for screens that are unable to have resolutions larger than the minimum height of the window. Generally speaking, if you are going to go with a static window size as a design choice, you should keep in mind that there is a large market of inexpensive portable computers that have a maximum display height of aprox. 1024 px. (It's actually a range from about 900 To account for this, if you keep your static window height to 800px or less you should not have any issues with people having difficulty playing your game, although, 768px might be better.

per: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution as of Dec 2015 70.38% of web users had a screen height of 1024px or less, and 45.77% had a screen height of 768px or less

A better choice, although potentially more difficult from a design perspective, is to avoid static window dimensions and allow the window to be resized. This will allow the user to determine the most comfortable window size for their display.

Also, there are some oddities in word choice in the English translation, I will wait to play this on a larger screen so I can tell if it is a writing style choice or a potential translation issue. If it's a translation issue I will attempt to make suggestions.
Smisenost

Postby JanTheSpider » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:10 pm

I would like to see some previews if possible. I rarely download something without seeing some artwork first.
JanTheSpider

Postby kvier » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:15 am

For some reason, when I try to run this on a linux machine, even using the provided sh file, it just complains that "Error: Could not find or load main class com.ang.my.dee.App" ?
kvier

Postby Smisenost » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:33 am

have you tried erasing it and re-unpacking it? also what utility are you using and what options? If you open the .jar file as a .zip file you should be able to navigate to the folder ../com/ang/my/dee/ and find the App.class w/o issue, so i'd assume the package/jar file is damaged or maybe the shell script needs to have the path updated... i don't have a working nix box at the moment to test.

Code: Select All Code
#!/bin/bash
java -Dlogback.configurationFile=resources/logback.xml -jar naohr-app.jar

that's what the shell script currently contains... it's been my experience that scripts from one distro don't work w/o some tweaking on another distro. try just launching the java app directly from CLI. see if that works or not, if it fails, try launching it with something like ... java -jar -verbose naohr-app.jar ... i think...(it's been almost 10 years since i've done any java in a *nix environment so... there's a good chance I'm remembering it wrong. eitherway, there's a verbose cli switch and it has options that you can use with it. man is your friend.)
Smisenost

Postby AngMyDee » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:56 am

Thank you for your replies : )

Smisenost Wrote:Due to the design choice of making the window size a static size, playing this game is impossible for screens that are unable to have resolutions larger than the minimum height of the window. Generally speaking, if you are going to go with a static window size as a design choice, you should keep in mind that there is a large market of inexpensive portable computers that have a maximum display height of aprox. 1024 px. (It's actually a range from about 900 To account for this, if you keep your static window height to 800px or less you should not have any issues with people having difficulty playing your game, although, 768px might be better.

per: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution as of Dec 2015 70.38% of web users had a screen height of 1024px or less, and 45.77% had a screen height of 768px or less

A better choice, although potentially more difficult from a design perspective, is to avoid static window dimensions and allow the window to be resized. This will allow the user to determine the most comfortable window size for their display.

Also, there are some oddities in word choice in the English translation, I will wait to play this on a larger screen so I can tell if it is a writing style choice or a potential translation issue. If it's a translation issue I will attempt to make suggestions.

I was wondering about the screen size from the beginning and I chose static dimensions because it was much more easier to work with. I will work on a fully resizable UI this week-end.

For oddities... well, I am curious about what you found : )

kvier Wrote:For some reason, when I try to run this on a linux machine, even using the provided sh file, it just complains that "Error: Could not find or load main class com.ang.my.dee.App" ?

The issue might come from classpath, I will download a VM and look into this issue. Can you tell me which OS and java version you have ? Thank !

By the way, did you get any performance issue on the game? I am concerned that screen transitions involving pictures might take a long time.

Last but not least, what do you think of the content of the demo ? Too scarce to get an idea ?
AngMyDee

Postby kvier » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:20 am

Yeah, that's why I'm so confused that it's not working. The zip file looks intact; all of its contents extract fine; that invocation looks perfectly normal; java -verbose doesn't show any other errors. Unpacking the jar and using -classpath doesn't change anything. Manually logging what files are opened (in the unpacked version) shows that it is reading the named class file and then ... for whatever reason it seems to be forgetting about it?
kvier

Postby Ephrian » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:54 am

Hi i've just downloaded your game and gave it a try. I'm happily surprised to see a French version. (I've found a couple of small mistakes in it, but it's not the point atm.) Regarding the above posts, i did not met any troubles while changing the dimensions of the game, but i'm trying it on a computer, tho. So far i really like what the game looks like, and where it seems to be going. Keep on the good work, and please contact me if you need a beta-tester or anything else. Good job :)
Last edited by Ephrian on Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ephrian

Postby Smisenost » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:25 am

kvier Wrote:Yeah, that's why I'm so confused that it's not working. The zip file looks intact; all of its contents extract fine; that invocation looks perfectly normal; java -verbose doesn't show any other errors. Unpacking the jar and using -classpath doesn't change anything. Manually logging what files are opened (in the unpacked version) shows that it is reading the named class file and then ... for whatever reason it seems to be forgetting about it?

What version of java are you using? Dev does say it needs 8 with FX, I personally haven't taken any extra steps to install anything additional (but i'm using windows ATM) and i'm running (disclaimer, it does seem to work fine in both ENG and JAP locale on windows 10, no I don't speak Japanese... don't judge me. :P)

my java install on this machine (my other laptop (win7) has Java 5, 6, and 7 so I almost always specify on that machine.)
Code: Select All Code
C:\Users\smisenost>java -version
java version "1.8.0_73"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_73-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.73-b02, mixed mode)

C:\Program Files\Java>dir
 Volume in drive C is Windows
 Volume Serial Number is 60AB-BB5F

Directory of C:\Program Files\Java

04/08/2016  11:45 PM    <DIR>          .
04/08/2016  11:45 PM    <DIR>          ..
04/08/2016  11:46 PM    <DIR>          jre1.8.0_73
               0 File(s)              0 bytes
               3 Dir(s)  192,862,195,712 bytes free

C:\Program Files\Java>
Smisenost

Postby AngMyDee » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:46 am

Ephrian Wrote:Hi i've just downloaded your game and gave it a try. I'm happily surprised to see a French version. (I've found a couple of small mistakes in it, but it's not the point atm.) Regarding the above posts, i did not met any troubles while changing the dimensions of the game, but i'm trying it on a computer, tho. So far i really like what the game looks like, and where it seems to be going. Keep on the good work, and please contact me if you need a beta-tester or anything else. Good job :)

Thanks a lot!
Indeed I was wondering if it was useful spending a lot of time on the French version. I'd rather localize it only in French, overall quality would be higher, but most players are speaking English so I stopped it quickly since writing each story twice is time consuming.
As soon as I can PM you (I believe limitation is set to 10 posts), I will contact you : )
AngMyDee

Postby kvier » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:46 pm

Smisenost Wrote:Dev does say it needs 8 with FX
... I'm an idiot. I needed to install openjfx; it wasn't installed by default. What a useless error message, though.

There is one problem with linux and having a case-sensitive filesystem as well; the game looks for Bakery.properties, but the file is distributed all lowercase.
kvier

Postby Ephrian » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:42 pm

AngMyDee Wrote:
Ephrian Wrote:...

Thanks a lot!
Indeed I was wondering if it was useful spending a lot of time on the French version. I'd rather localize it only in French, overall quality would be higher, but most players are speaking English so I stopped it quickly since writing each story twice is time consuming.
As soon as I can PM you (I believe limitation is set to 10 posts), I will contact you : )

Hey, i'll gladly proof-read it and/or keep on the translation dude :) And yes, before to be able to pm someone you have to post 10 times. Btw, is it because you stopped the translation that i found some text-boxes empty? And the answer buttons as well? Do you want me to send you the log in pm? See you!
Ephrian

Postby Smisenost » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:29 pm

kvier Wrote:
Smisenost Wrote:Dev does say it needs 8 with FX
... I'm an idiot. I needed to install openjfx; it wasn't installed by default. What a useless error message, though.

There is one problem with linux and having a case-sensitive filesystem as well; the game looks for Bakery.properties, but the file is distributed all lowercase.

does it matter, if so, what problems does it cause? This sounds like something Ang might need to know.
Smisenost

Postby Wee » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:06 am

On your comment r.e. the screen size.
My screen is 1366x768, so I guess that puts me in the 45.77% bracket. Many 13" laptops/2 in 1's seem to come in this resolution.

ON THAT, though, I've set up my bottom bar (Windows) to be 'double height', that is to say that I have two rows at the bottom for icons, tabs, etc. This increases my productivity a bit (I'm not a fan of the 'popup menu to choose icons/window tabs, that's an extra step).

I don't know how many other uses out there do this, but this can be an issue with games that use fixed size windows. So setting the minimum height to a bit less than the 768 - 1 row of icons/tabs might be helpful to those of us that do this. Or at least leaving enough of a bottom margin on your game window where this won't be an issue (i.e. placing game icons underneath the bottom bar.)

I suppose that fullscreen mode could be an option, if your game offers that (haven't downloaded it yet). Looking at your screenshots, there's enough of a margin on the bottom where this shouldn't be an issue. I just wanted to bring this up for the 2% or whatever of us that increase the size of our bottom bars to allow 2 rows of icons, in the interest of productivity...

Your game looks really nice in the screenshots. Looking forward to seeing where it goes!
Wee

Postby kvier » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:30 am

Smisenost Wrote:
kvier Wrote:There is one problem with linux and having a case-sensitive filesystem as well; the game looks for Bakery.properties, but the file is distributed all lowercase.
does it matter, if so, what problems does it cause? This sounds like something Ang might need to know.
Yes, it matters: it causes a crash, because it tries to open Bakery.properties and can't. (Because it's "bakery.properties")
kvier

Postby AngMyDee » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:12 am

kvier Wrote:
Smisenost Wrote:
kvier Wrote:Yes, it matters: it causes a crash, because it tries to open Bakery.properties and can't. (Because it's "bakery.properties")

You sure have a lot of trouble with my game, sorry about that. I will fix it for the next release.
For the time being does renaming the file do the trick?

Wee Wrote:On your comment r.e. the screen size.
My screen is 1366x768, so I guess that puts me in the 45.77% bracket. Many 13" laptops/2 in 1's seem to come in this resolution.

ON THAT, though, I've set up my bottom bar (Windows) to be 'double height', that is to say that I have two rows at the bottom for icons, tabs, etc. This increases my productivity a bit (I'm not a fan of the 'popup menu to choose icons/window tabs, that's an extra step).

I don't know how many other uses out there do this, but this can be an issue with games that use fixed size windows. So setting the minimum height to a bit less than the 768 - 1 row of icons/tabs might be helpful to those of us that do this. Or at least leaving enough of a bottom margin on your game window where this won't be an issue (i.e. placing game icons underneath the bottom bar.)

I suppose that fullscreen mode could be an option, if your game offers that (haven't downloaded it yet). Looking at your screenshots, there's enough of a margin on the bottom where this shouldn't be an issue. I just wanted to bring this up for the 2% or whatever of us that increase the size of our bottom bars to allow 2 rows of icons, in the interest of productivity...

Your game looks really nice in the screenshots. Looking forward to seeing where it goes!

Thanks a lot, I am working on a 800x600 version which allow scaling so that most people won`t have issue with it : )
I tried full screen during one of my dev session, I think it will make it in an upcoming version.

Ephrian Wrote:
AngMyDee Wrote:
Ephrian Wrote:...

Hey, i'll gladly proof-read it and/or keep on the translation dude :) And yes, before to be able to pm someone you have to post 10 times. Btw, is it because you stopped the translation that i found some text-boxes empty? And the answer buttons as well? Do you want me to send you the log in pm? See you!

Well, that`s great news, I will focus on the French version and see with you for the English one : )
Yes, it is because of the missing translations. Could you send me the log file to the address given in the Readme please?
AngMyDee

Postby Ephrian » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:42 pm

Unfortunately i've started a new game, so i'm afraid the log has been replaced by the newer one, in English this time, and indeed the scenes were not missing. Btw is it a way to save a game? I didnt happen to find it so far, but i have not searched that much... (Au fait, tu es francophone? :p)
Ephrian

Postby Smisenost » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:42 pm

kvier Wrote:
Smisenost Wrote:
kvier Wrote:There is one problem with linux and having a case-sensitive filesystem as well; the game looks for Bakery.properties, but the file is distributed all lowercase.
Yes, it matters: it causes a crash, because it tries to open Bakery.properties and can't. (Because it's "bakery.properties")

The reason I asked if it mattered, sometimes the crash/error isn't fatal and you can ignore it, like with the issue I had with 'My Strange Sister'. I could continue playing the tech demo as long as I basically ignored it.

I didn't remember java caring about case internally once launched, but like i said it's been more than 10 years. XD Ang mentioned changing the classname to lowercase, if you'd like I could do that and drop you a link through PM. I haven't gone poking around w/in the actual classes/jar file other than to see what classes where there so if the class is called for lower case in some places and upper case in others... who knows.

What distro are you using Kvier? My experience is a bit older; I tended to use slackware (4/7, 1999-2001ish), debian (potato-sarge 2000-2005ish), or gentoo (2004-2007ish) when I was doing dev related stuff, most recently I played with Arch but never did any dev stuff and I haven't used it at all in the last probably 2 years.
Smisenost

Postby AngMyDee » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:24 pm

Smisenost Wrote:The reason I asked if it mattered, sometimes the crash/error isn't fatal and you can ignore it, like with the issue I had with 'My Strange Sister'. I could continue playing the tech demo as long as I basically ignored it.

I didn't remember java caring about case internally once launched, but like i said it's been more than 10 years. XD Ang mentioned changing the classname to lowercase, if you'd like I could do that and drop you a link through PM. I haven't gone poking around w/in the actual classes/jar file other than to see what classes where there so if the class is called for lower case in some places and upper case in others... who knows.

What distro are you using Kvier? My experience is a bit older; I tended to use slackware (4/7, 1999-2001ish), debian (potato-sarge 2000-2005ish), or gentoo (2004-2007ish) when I was doing dev related stuff, most recently I played with Arch but never did any dev stuff and I haven't used it at all in the last probably 2 years.

The problem is not coming from java nor the jar file (But you can still poke if you like to ^^). I made a mistake in an identifier used to find related .properties file.
I will push a version with the fix and few improvements on Sunday night but if kvier wants to give it a try, he needs to modify the file located in /resources/referenceData/professions/bakery named bakery.json and put the "id" attribute to "bakery" instead of "Bakery" (I will add some automatic tests to check that kind of mistakes)

Ephrian Wrote:Unfortunately i've started a new game, so i'm afraid the log has been replaced by the newer one, in English this time, and indeed the scenes were not missing. Btw is it a way to save a game? I didnt happen to find it so far, but i have not searched that much... (Au fait, tu es francophone? :p)

Sure, you can save from the menu, press Escape then choose quick save/quick load or save/load if you want to choose another location : )

Je suis français. J'avoue que la partie sur les fautes d'orthographe m'a fait me sentir très con ^^ il y a une règle sur la langue à utiliser sur le forum j'imagine?
AngMyDee

Postby kvier » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:41 am

AngMyDee Wrote:You sure have a lot of trouble with my game, sorry about that. I will fix it for the next release.
When the JRE gives me the most useless error message, it's not really remotely obvious it's because I forgot to install FX. Can't blame you for my own inability to read :P

For the time being does renaming the file do the trick?
Yes.

Smisenost Wrote:What distro are you using Kvier?
Debian sid, but I've basically always avoided learning anything about java and so didn't really have any guesses as to how to start debugging things.

AngMyDee Wrote:if kvier wants to give it a try, he needs to modify the file located in /resources/referenceData/professions/bakery named bakery.json and put the "id" attribute to "bakery" instead of "Bakery"
Got it.
kvier

Next

Return to Non-Flash Projects