[RPG Maker VX Ace] A Zombie's Life

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

[RPG Maker VX Ace] A Zombie's Life

Postby Malak~ » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:26 pm

Patreon_Banner_AZL.png
Patreon_Banner_AZL.png (257.19 KiB) Viewed 6077 times
AZL 3.png
AZL 3.png (40.05 KiB) Viewed 6950 times
AZL 2.png
AZL 2.png (98.17 KiB) Viewed 6950 times
AZL 4.png
AZL 4.png (142.96 KiB) Viewed 6950 times
Welcome to A Zombie's Life! The story of a world plagued by a virus, that has killed all adult males, leaving only women, and young males alive. However they are not alone, for zombies stalk the streets seeking to turn them into zombies. You take the role of a young boy, who is a building a shelter so his mother and sister can survive the zombies that now plague the city.

On your travels you will meet other NPCs, who you can invite to your shelter and help protect. However the clock is constantly ticking, and you need to make sure you keep a good stock of food, medicine and other supplies, and can even craft upgrades for your home and tools you need while out getting supplies. You can even send people at your shelter out to gather supplies for you!

The game will be constantly expanded, adding new NPCs, encounters, scenes and story as time goes on. But the core mechanics of the game, very much like "This War of Mine", allow the game a lot of re-playability and continuity. Ammunition will be scarce, so use it wisely. (If you even find any!)
The artist behind the works of A Zombie's Life is all drawn by ScarlettAnn http://scarlettann1028.deviantart.com/ Some scenes are animated by Nergal(the game maker) & Sijix http://sijix.blogspot.co.uk/?zx=1dc2483ecf05c467

If you like what you are reading go to https://www.patreon.com/nergalsnest and download the current version (0.6-public)
If you want to support Nergal in continuing to update this game and other projects go to https://www.patreon.com/nergalsnest

I am here if you have any questions feel free to ask on here, message me personally, ask on Patreon, or go to this Discord link https://discord.gg/Hk7jqkJ
Edit: Just realized I did not say this game includes shota, incest, and massive boobs. Enjoy!

Thanks for reading!
Malak~
Last edited by Malak~ on Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Malak~

Re: [RPG Maker VX Ace] A Zombie's Life

Postby Malak~ » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:02 pm

@musical74, I am sorry. I just made this profile last night and cannot reply to your message yet, until I make more posts apparently?
Malak~

Postby musical74 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:21 pm

Yeah, I think you need 10 before you can do PMs. Mods want to make sure you won't spam things and such. Find a few things in general that suit your fancy in addition to here.

as far as AZL is concerned: I LOVE THIS GAME!
musical74

Postby Malak~ » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:25 pm

musical74 Wrote:Yeah, I think you need 10 before you can do PMs. Mods want to make sure you won't spam things and such. Find a few things in general that suit your fancy in addition to here.

as far as AZL is concerned: I LOVE THIS GAME!

Ah, makes sense, and thanks for the shout out! I put this on here in hopes to get AZL some more attention and to answer any questions regarding it. However of course it is unfinished so many things have not been implemented yet.
Last edited by Malak~ on Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malak~

Postby deltasmoke » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 am

Sooo, quick question; Do the search spots ever reset, or are they one-time only? Besides not knowing that, rather enjoying the game so far. Good work.
deltasmoke
Newly Registered

Postby Malak~ » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:54 pm

deltasmoke Wrote:Sooo, quick question; Do the search spots ever reset, or are they one-time only? Besides not knowing that, rather enjoying the game so far. Good work.

I'm sure Nergal would appreciate the compliment, so thank you! The answer to your question is yes. Each area has a different percentage chance you will find certain items and each building has better chances finding certain items like the Store is more likely to find food and water and the Police Station is the highest chance to find bullets. When searching a spot finding something will depend on your Sense ability, so if it's low you won't find things often, but if it's high you will find items every time. After you search a spot it will reset after one FULL day has past, so after going to sleep twice. It is best to stagger areas some so not only to find things, but easier on you when looking.
Last edited by Malak~ on Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malak~

Re: [RPG Maker VX Ace] A Zombie's Lifes

Postby Yamemai » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:26 pm

Malak~ Wrote:
deltasmoke Wrote:Sooo, quick question; Do the search spots ever reset, or are they one-time only? Besides not knowing that, rather enjoying the game so far. Good work.

I'm sure Nergal would appreciate the compliment, so thank you! The answer to your question is yes. Each area has a different percentage chance you will find certain items and each building has better chances finding certain items like the Store is more likely to find food and water and the Police Station is the highest chance to find bullets. When searching a spot finding something will depend on your Sense ability, so if it's low you won't find things often, but if it's high you will find items every time. After you search a spot it will reset after one FULL day has past, so after going to sleep twice. It is best to stagger areas some so not only to find things, but easier on you when looking.

Can't people just save scum to collect everything? (Eg. Save then continue if you don't find anything) Kinda makes Sense obsolete. Similar with toughness, since you're around double the speed of the zombies, as long as you have high strength, and aren't slowed down, you can usually evade them, as far as I've seen.

Anyways, tried the game a bit, and it seems nice; though kinda hard, since it wasn't really explained much, like how much food/water you need per day, or if your party has a chance of dying if you send them out, that type of thing -- Then there is a glitch where the zombies seem to walk on the shelves in the store, or how the game crashes sometimes due to lighting changes.

Also, might me a good idea to give a map, or general overview to the player; example, after returning to base, the map would on places of note you've been to.
Last edited by Yamemai on Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamemai

Re: [RPG Maker VX Ace] A Zombie's Lifes

Postby Darthjake » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:01 pm

Yamemai Wrote:
Can't people just save scum to collect everything? (Eg. Save then continue if you don't find anything) Kinda makes Sense obsolete. Similar with toughness, since you're around double the speed of the zombies, as long as you have high strength, and aren't slowed down, you can usually evade them, as far as I've seen.

You can scum save, but it's a pita, I did it early on in the public versions before Nergal implemented the 1 day respawn timer, since that timer reset it's been more of a hassle to scum save then just play the game the way it's meant to be played. I tend to put a 4 in str and talk then 3's in the rest and level sense up with Mom first then Str with Abby then the rest how I feel like it Talk is 3rd or so on my list because you only need that for the mini games I think.

Yamemai Wrote:Anyways, tried the game a bit, and it seems nice; though kinda hard, since it wasn't really explained much, like how much food/water you need per day, or if your party has a chance of dying if you send them out, that type of thing -- Then there is a glitch where the zombies can walk through the shelves in the store, or how the game crashes sometimes due to lighting changes.

I watched the food and water counter, I think 4 food and you don't lose water until day 3 or so I think, but both of those are very common drops. I think out of 5 or so restarts I've only never had enough food once, and that was due to a game glitch where the containers were not resetting. Well they are zombies, they don't care about right of way or using the shopping aisles, they just crash through stuff. :D

Yamemai Wrote:Also, might me a good idea to give a map, or general overview to the player; example, after returning to base, the map would on places of note you've been to.

Yeah a map would be nice, but once you've been through the city a few times, you don't really need it anymore, just a bit of a learning curve, but yeah that curve is there, I'll agree. For me the main issue is the way the screen is, going to and from the school you can't see the entrance / exit up at the top unless you *know* where you are going, and after he installs the solar panels you get to interact with one of the light poles near the house. His body blocks the text so you can't see what it says. I've tried saving before interacting with the light pole and neither option seems to make much of a difference and this is mid game where I have the aunt at home and have enough power to run the dvd player.

But it's a great game overall, and I can't wait to see the rest of Nergal's games that he has in process.
Darthjake

Postby Malak~ » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:23 pm

Yamemai Wrote:Can't people just save scum to collect everything? (Eg. Save then continue if you don't find anything) Kinda makes Sense obsolete. Similar with toughness, since you're around double the speed of the zombies, as long as you have high strength, and aren't slowed down, you can usually evade them, as far as I've seen.

Anyways, tried the game a bit, and it seems nice; though kinda hard, since it wasn't really explained much, like how much food/water you need per day, or if your party has a chance of dying if you send them out, that type of thing -- Then there is a glitch where the zombies can walk through the shelves in the store, or how the game crashes sometimes due to lighting changes.

Also, might me a good idea to give a map, or general overview to the player; example, after returning to base, the map would on places of note you've been to.

Yes, they can, however the probability of them finding items/better items would be the same. Agreed, strength should be the most important skill overall. However strength only determines how much the player can carry, before becoming over encumbered. Also not all zombies walk the same speed. ;) Agreed, there is a bit of a learning curve. However this is still a beta. A tutorial has a chance to be made at some point. Also the women you sent out cannot be injured nor die while scavenging. (Not implemented yet.) They can get sick though.
There is no glitch regarding "walking through shelves," that I have seen personally. They can walk behind any item or piece of furniture, just like you can sometimes it makes it look like you are walking on it, however you need to remember you are looking from above onto a two dimensional world. Things will not look the same way in reality.
Lighting changes? I'm not sure what you're referring to, but if the game is crashing please either screenshot it to me personally or send me exactly what the game code error is saying, or explain how it is done so I can replicate the game crash. That way I can send it off to Nergal to be fixed.
Last edited by Malak~ on Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malak~

Postby aborym » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:20 pm

I like this game as much as I liked "this war of mine" but I really suggest to change the font used for stored items and choose a bigger and more readable one.
Ty
aborym
Newly Registered

Postby Malak~ » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:12 pm

Darthjake Wrote:Talk is 3rd or so on my list because you only need that for the mini games I think.

Yes, only for the resist mini game. In my opinion it is the least important skill. As long as you practice the game a few times and remember you can retry the mini game immediately if you lose with no penalty it's not an issue. It's also the easiest to train as you can work on it any time of day, except when you need to sleep.
Darthjake Wrote:I watched the food and water counter, I think 4 food and you don't lose water until day 3 or so I think

Each women in your house will use 1 food during dinner. They will not take any water until the city water stop working. (Day 5)
Darthjake Wrote:After he installs the solar panels you get to interact with one of the light poles near the house. His body blocks the text so you can't see what it says. I've tried saving before interacting with the light pole and neither option seems to make much of a difference and this is mid game where I have the aunt at home and have enough power to run the dvd player.

Interaction with a light pole? Darthjake what are you talking about? I have never heard of such an option, nor interacting with the DVD player. I've played the game from start to finish many times and never seen such mechanics.
Darthjake Wrote:But it's a great game overall, and I can't wait to see the rest of Nergal's games that he has in process.

Thanks for the shout out! :D
Last edited by Malak~ on Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malak~

Re: [RPG Maker VX Ace] A Zombie's Lifesx

Postby Darthjake » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:54 pm

Malak~ Wrote:
Darthjake Wrote:
After he installs the solar panels you get to interact with one of the light poles near the house. His body blocks the text so you can't see what it says. I've tried saving before interacting with the light pole and neither option seems to make much of a difference and this is mid game where I have the aunt at home and have enough power to run the dvd player.

Interaction with a light pole? Darthjake what are you talking about? I have never heard of such an option, nor interacting with the DVD player. I've played the game from start to finish many times and never seen such mechanics.

I have not loaded up .5 yet, but my .4 public build and all the ones before the bottom right (as you are looking at your home) light pole you can interact with it after installing solar panels. You get the dialogue "I can hook this up to our solar power grid." There are 2 options hidden by the MC's body, as you can arrow up and down, but I can't read what the options are, nor do they appear to do anything.
Darthjake

Postby UNdead63 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:57 pm

You know this game looks suspiciously similar to Dystopian Project's Sex Zombie with that Pink haired main-heroine and black cop.
but i guess it's just a coincidence.
UNdead63

Postby Malak~ » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:01 pm

Darthjake Wrote:I have not loaded up .5 yet, but my .4 public build and all the ones before the bottom right (as you are looking at your home) light pole you can interact with it after installing solar panels. You get the dialogue "I can hook this up to our solar power grid." There are 2 options hidden by the MC's body, as you can arrow up and down, but I can't read what the options are, nor do they appear to do anything.

Ok, I'll try testing that to see if I can trigger it still.(Tested) The bust showing up behind the MC body was a common thing that had been fixed in all the ones I was aware of. Nergal has said you can set up as many as 5 solar panels. Is this something that is triggering all 5 solar panels, or is it something that can be done after building one?
Last edited by Malak~ on Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Malak~

Postby Darthjake » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:39 pm

Okay I just built 2 more solar panels and the 2nd one I tried to install it said I can't install any more.

Then when I went to the light pole the Yes / No was hyperimposed over the MC's bust / body, so maybe it was because I did not have enough panels up, but still that could be an issue as well. So to recap I guess I had 4 panels because I could only install 1 more.

Thanks!

On that note, just loaded up 0.5 and I see that you can now rescue officer Blaze, I can't find the key in the police station, and I already killed all the zombie police officers through much sacrifices of med kits.... Do I need to start a new game to get officer Blaze?
Darthjake

Postby Malak~ » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:44 pm

UNdead63 Wrote:You know this game looks suspiciously similar to Dystopian Project's Sex Zombie with that Pink haired main-heroine and black cop.
but i guess it's just a coincidence.

The artist ScarlettAnn http://scarlettann1028.deviantart.com/ drew the characters, which she makes the creative decision on. I have not played that one yet. Are the characters only zombies?(Assuming from the title) None of the women you can do things with are zombies in this game.
Malak~

Postby Malak~ » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:54 pm

Darthjake Wrote:Okay I just built 2 more solar panels and the 2nd one I tried to install it said I can't install any more.

Then when I went to the light pole the Yes / No was hyperimposed over the MC's bust / body, so maybe it was because I did not have enough panels up, but still that could be an issue as well. So to recap I guess I had 4 panels because I could only install 1 more.

Thanks!

On that note, just loaded up 0.5 and I see that you can now rescue officer Blaze, I can't find the key in the police station, and I already killed all the zombie police officers through much sacrifices of med kits.... Do I need to start a new game to get officer Blaze?

Which light pole is it so I may try this out? You were not clear on the one that should be useable. On each build I start new games. I suggest to do that. Moving files from one build to the next can often lead to them being corrupted especially since bug fixes are made. To gain Sonya Blaze you must give her 5 food & water. Then on the next day you will move to the next set of dialogue. Sonya will not tell you she has had enough like Isabelle, so keep that in mind.
Malak~

Postby musical74 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:56 pm

After you give Blaze 5 food or water (water seems to be better, because you can collect it for a few days before it starts dropping) she will mention that someone stole the keys and will show up tomorrow (at least that was what happened with me). When tomorrow comes you'll see the kid saying he'll let her out for *services*. You have the choice of killing the kid or shooting a warning shot and scaring him off then - not sure if there's any long-term difference to either choice.
musical74

Postby Malak~ » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:00 pm

musical74 Wrote:After you give Blaze 5 food or water (water seems to be better, because you can collect it for a few days before it starts dropping) she will mention that someone stole the keys and will show up tomorrow (at least that was what happened with me). When tomorrow comes you'll see the kid saying he'll let her out for *services*. You have the choice of killing the kid or shooting a warning shot and scaring him off then - not sure if there's any long-term difference to either choice.

Just a reminder 5 food and 5 water must be given. More is fine, but less will not trigger it. Currently there is no good/bad choice for the kid, so do so with no risk.
Malak~

Postby zescoutmann » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:20 pm

I rescued the police officer and tried looking for her handcuffs, but I cant find the west part of the city nor the hospital, there's a street west of the hotel that looks like it would lead farther west but its blocked by a car, am I missing something?
zescoutmann
Newly Registered

Next

Return to Non-Flash Projects