Lab Rats Current Public Release (v1.0, 27/11/17)

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Re: Lab Rats Current Public Release (v0.4.1, 20/2/17)

Postby juggernaut12344 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:36 am

olaf2k4 Wrote:
random78905 Wrote:Is there any way to set the current day back? It's very difficult to see all the content the game currently has to offer without doing some experimenting and the time limit made that difficult for me. I understand that the plan for later versions is to have the game go past day 120 and take the girls influence levels into account to unlock different paths, but since that isn't in yet an option to continue playing past day 120 or a new game + feature would be nice.

(Or a console command to set the day so you could cheat it.)

Enable Developer mode, and look @ variables and change the Day in console

How would I enable Developer mode? I don't know much about coding but can follow instructions. From what I've found so far, with other games it seems like you simply open the options.rpy file and change config.developer = false to config.developer = true but I can't seem to find it in this one. Am I doing something wrong and if so, could you help me find the right way of doing this?
juggernaut12344
Newly Registered

Re: Lab Rats Current Public Release (v0.6.1, 23/4/17)

Postby tbattr » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:33 pm

Now that it appears that Lab Rats is finished,what will your next project be, so that we can keep an eye out for it?
tbattr

Postby hoboy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:54 am

Uh - why is it finished? 0.6.1 isn;t quite 1.0, and I don't recall vren saying it's done, just that some endings have been added. It is probably getting close tho...
hoboy

Postby vrengames » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:16 am

Nope, it's not finished! v0.6.1 added the last of the endings that are planned for the immediate future, but there's still a lot of content I want to fit into the game before I'm ready to move on to something else. In particular, there is a "tag" system I have planned that highlights certain traits for the girls and enables or disables content. The first one planned is the "public/private" tag, which will mark whether a girl is extremely public in her sluttyness, or your private sex toy. Once that system is in place there are plenty of other things that deserve to be turned into tags. "Cum Lover/Cum Hater", "Anal Lover/Anal Hater", ect.

I've got a few plans in store for my next project, but nothing that's ready for announcement yet. When it is, you guys will be the first to know!
vrengames

Postby hoboy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:28 am

Yay! Steph and Alex are my public sluts, while the family I keep private (although maybe exhibiting Lily - could be fun). And what do we do with Nora? Hmmm...
hoboy

Postby AvenJex » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:47 pm

olaf2k4 Wrote:
random78905 Wrote:Is there any way to set the current day back? It's very difficult to see all the content the game currently has to offer without doing some experimenting and the time limit made that difficult for me. I understand that the plan for later versions is to have the game go past day 120 and take the girls influence levels into account to unlock different paths, but since that isn't in yet an option to continue playing past day 120 or a new game + feature would be nice.

(Or a console command to set the day so you could cheat it.)

Enable Developer mode, and look @ variables and change the Day in console

How do you activate the console? Like what hotkey is it?
AvenJex
Newly Registered

Postby Regardie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:32 pm

Hi,

I registered here just so I could post in this thread. I have been following the game for a few versions, maybe back to 0.4.1. I like that the assets are open for anyone to change or modify. I like how the game works.

I have spent some time over the last few versions cleaning up the grammar and spelling mistakes for my own personal version and I am going to share it here. It is not complete, I keep finding things I missed as I am playtesting, but it is very close. It is close enough that I have started bug fixing as well.

I did not include a changelog in the zip but here are the highlights.

Nora in the lab: blowjob and she swallows, no increment for swallow, fixed
Lab Brothel ending: use Stephanie's mouth, increments Nora, fixed- now increments steph mouth and swallow
Lilly spy: go in / stay outside swapped, fixed: you now do the proper event
missing self in character resistance that was pointed out in a message on the Pat... site, fixed

I did not fix the repeating last day as there are several ways to do that and I am deferring to Vren for that fix.

I also spent some time moving characters to the center. Lily is now centered during the nighttime fuck scene.

Alex in the lab: the background now changes to the lab when you enter the lab. The blowjob choice I centered, shifted right and centered based on dialog choices. The fuck choice I left in the center with the dialog over her image to see what players like or don't like with the postioning.

Save the files endings.rpy, hub_scenes.rpy, intro_scenes.rpy, major_scenes.rpy, minor_scenes.rpy, and script.rpy from your Lab_Rats\game directory in another directory if you want to preserve them and extract my files into the "game" directory. The next time you launch the game RenPy will generate new rpyc files for you and you can see my fixes.

I hope Vren will take a look at my work and merge it into the main game before v0.7.0 comes out.
Attachments
Lab_Rats-0.6.1-fixes-v3.zip
Goes in the game directory.
(314.38 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Regardie

Postby Yuriski » Mon May 01, 2017 8:29 pm

So...I managed to get all the girls over 100.

The game didn't quite know how to handle that.

But the endings were quite hot. So good job, once again.
Yuriski
Newly Registered

Postby Regardie » Tue May 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Update: I am still working on fixing spelling and grammar as I play and encounter events. I still miss things reading through the xmls that I see when in the game.

Omissions: lab threesome fuck scene has no increments for strip/naked, sex, cum_inside or cum_swallow. I have fixed that in my personal copy and when I get to day 120 and see the endings I will post a v4 of my fixes.

My play test is using a liberal amount of quick save / quick load to trigger events since I know where most of them occur after reading through the code. I am certain that I will be able to get to the same point as Yuriski with all girls over 100 so I can see how the game handles that. Thinking about the code in the endings.xml without actually looking at it, with all girls at 100 you should get the harem ending as well as individual sexy endings with each girl. Right now, the final day repeats because the test is >120 jump to endings but the return brings you back to the main game day loop where the next day is also >120 so it repeats. Vren is aware of it and has fixed it according to messages on his Pat... site so that should be in v0.7.0 soon.
Regardie

Postby jacobbb » Wed May 03, 2017 5:51 am

Can someone explain to me what each serum does? Also how do I unlock the purple and red serums?
jacobbb
Newly Registered

Postby Darthjake » Thu May 04, 2017 2:22 pm

jacobbb Wrote:Can someone explain to me what each serum does? Also how do I unlock the purple and red serums?

Fairly certain that this was explained earlier, can't look it up at the moment, but the blue is of course unlocked as the game starts, interestingly enough I got the red serum unlocked before the purple this time, by searching the office until I found the files in a cabinet.

The purple was unlocked by talking to Nora late night and asking about the serum, and getting hooked in with a circle (jerk?) of researchers, lol, sorry, had to.

Of course you need to ask Nora at the beginning for research materials, and then later talk to Steph about the research to gain access to online sources, which I think will lead you to the other serums.

Think of the purple as more potent then the blue, and the same for red to purple. I'm fairly certain that the purple and red don't go up so quickly on resistances, but that could have been changed and I might have missed it, best bet is to peruse the forum, and possible review the changelogs.
Darthjake

Postby Regardie » Thu May 04, 2017 6:11 pm

jacobbb Wrote:Can someone explain to me what each serum does? Also how do I unlock the purple and red serums?

If you have discovered all three, the notes section now has some explanations of what they do.
Regardie

Postby Regardie » Thu May 04, 2017 10:13 pm

Because I had the code open in Notepad+

Code: Select All Code
 def get_serum_result(self, type): #could use more testing to make sure temp_resist_modifier is working properly
            if type == "blue": ##Normal.
                return self.slut_score
            elif type == "purple": ##Lowers Resistance Hit, but lowers slut for this event.
                self.temp_resist_modifier = 0.5
                return self.slut_score - purple_serum_debuff
            else: ##type == "red"
                self.temp_resist_modifier = 1.5
                return self.slut_score + red_serum_buff ##Raises slut for this event, but has a larger resistance hit.

The purple_serum_debuff /red_serum_ buff number is 15 so it swings the slut_score around a bit before it calculates which events you will be successful at in each serum encounter, with the resistance modifier applied to the final resistance gain.
Regardie

Postby Wee » Thu May 04, 2017 11:48 pm

Regardie Wrote:Update: I am still working on fixing spelling and grammar as I play and encounter events. I still miss things reading through the xmls that I see when in the game.

Omissions: lab threesome fuck scene has no increments for strip/naked, sex, cum_inside or cum_swallow. I have fixed that in my personal copy and when I get to day 120 and see the endings I will post a v4 of my fixes.

My play test is using a liberal amount of quick save / quick load to trigger events since I know where most of them occur after reading through the code. I am certain that I will be able to get to the same point as Yuriski with all girls over 100 so I can see how the game handles that. Thinking about the code in the endings.xml without actually looking at it, with all girls at 100 you should get the harem ending as well as individual sexy endings with each girl. Right now, the final day repeats because the test is >120 jump to endings but the return brings you back to the main game day loop where the next day is also >120 so it repeats. Vren is aware of it and has fixed it according to messages on his Pat... site so that should be in v0.7.0 soon.

I did something similar to this back in the 0.2/0.3 days, before resistance showed up. I've thought about sharing it (Vren does have a copy) but have held off for personal reasons, plus back when I did this Vren hadn't approved the public release of mods.

The main thing I did (other than fixing errors and minor issues as I found them) was to make the various dialogue options more useful. Example: working in the lab instead of talking to steph or whomever could generate a little more cash. Talking to Steph ow whomever could increase your influence score with her. This was offset by influence eroding over time (to encourage you to maintain your relationships), and requiring a blue plus materials to make a purple, and so forth. I talked about this a few pages back. The stat framework that I've detailed for my Consent WIP game (still working on it guys, but the Daz sales have kept me distracted, and I've made a few changes thanks to some new content) was actually originally designed to work with Lab Rats.

So more power to your efforts! At this point, there have been so many changes since 0.3.1 that I doubt my game files/diff file would be of much use anyways.
Wee

Postby Regardie » Fri May 05, 2017 9:44 pm

First off, let me say that this game has an incredible amount of written content that I could never produce myself. It is at a pretty high level quality wise as well. But with everything like this, a single author may not have the time to go through and check everything after it is finished. In publishing, that is where an editor comes in, another set of eyes to check spelling and grammar. In the game world, there are also bugs to be found and eliminated.

I have tried to do a bit of both of those tasks on Lab Rats. I really like the game and reading the story that Vren is writing. As I have said before, I appreciate the fact that Vrren has kept the assets open for others to modify. I have gone through all the dialog parts of the game and fixed spelling, dropped letters, repeated letters, and grammar to get the game into a better state for the players. It is now a bit of a combination of UK and US English rules, spelling, and idioms. I feel confident that I did not find and fix everything, but I believe I have gotten closer than the release version. Some conventions I left is "mom" is not capitalized. I tried to change all possessives to " 's " where appropriate. I added several "and" to make the lines flow better.

I have fixed bugs along the way, some double images, some missing images, but I have left a lot of that untouched. There are places where I might think some internal variables should get incremented that are currently missing and I added some to the game, but I don't presume to know what Vren's concept for the game is under the hood so many are still missing in these files. There are incorrect images displayed in the fun home ending where mom spends her time in a new uniform. These were added in the most recent version and the endings still seem to be a work in progress.

Knowing what I know about the code, and using a liberal amount of quick save / load I was able to get all girls to 100 by day 60 and see most of the content by day 89, except the endings. I did it with blue serum almost exclusively so the difficulty is not that bad. Without looking at the code you should still be able to determine things that will drop resistance when you need it and get to any ending you desire.

As always, if you chose to use my files, save your originals in another directory if you want to be able to revert to them. Extract into the "game" directory and launch the game. RenPy will generate replacement rpyc files and you should see my fixes.
Attachments
Lab_Rats-0.6.1-fixes-v4.zip
(314.46 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Regardie

Postby Regardie » Sun May 07, 2017 3:45 pm

Vren has looked at my work and asked if he can roll some of my changes into the next release version. I don't have enough posts to reply to the PM so I will do it here. Anything I work on Vren is free to use if he thinks it will make the game better. I don't have a count of all the changes I have made in the files, but it is a significant number and Vren is free to chose any or all of them.

If you want a preview of what it might look like, grab the v4 fixes above. I can't say that everything in my files will make the cut, but I feel good that some of it will and I hope that some other players will take a look before v0.7.0 comes out. If you find anything that I missed, please post it here as well as I am done until I get new work from Vren, either in advance, or when the next version comes out.
Regardie

Postby killyspec » Mon May 08, 2017 1:42 am

While the new endings are very nice indeed, I feel like they don't work well the the nerf to resistance and how long the game is. I got all girls up to 110 affinity by day 90 and then skipped over to end only to see I couldn't access all endings.

I feel like the length and/or difficulty of the game should be tweaked in way that you only have enough time to only 100+ 2 girls ( to access one of the endings ) or if you're planning to add more endings for more than 2 girls at 100+ that could also work. In any case you should only have about enough time to reach "max" affinity for the max amount of girls that there are endings for. This would also add a layer of long term strategy and a more specific goal for the player since you'd have to plan around getting the 2 girls of your choice to "max" affinity.

I realize that my "problem" could be solved by saving with all girls being only a scene away from 100-110 and then loading, doing the 2 girls i want to see the ending for and then skipping the rest of the days but that only leads to 2-3 minutes of clicking "go to sleep" and is not fun at all. Also, it feels like a chore and kills my boner which is the biggest deal here tbh.

I hope this is taken into consideration in one form or another.
killyspec

Postby Regardie » Mon May 08, 2017 3:30 am

On the final day, you are presented with three choices. The choices you make influence the endings you see. I ran the last day 8 times (2x2x2) to see all the endings. If you have every girl at 100+ you can get all the endings, but not on a single playthrough. You need to save before the last day.
Regardie

Postby vrengames » Mon May 08, 2017 7:19 am

killyspec Wrote:While the new endings are very nice indeed, I feel like they don't work well the the nerf to resistance and how long the game is. I got all girls up to 110 affinity by day 90 and then skipped over to end only to see I couldn't access all endings.

I feel like the length and/or difficulty of the game should be tweaked in way that you only have enough time to only 100+ 2 girls ( to access one of the endings ) or if you're planning to add more endings for more than 2 girls at 100+ that could also work. In any case you should only have about enough time to reach "max" affinity for the max amount of girls that there are endings for. This would also add a layer of long term strategy and a more specific goal for the player since you'd have to plan around getting the 2 girls of your choice to "max" affinity.

I realize that my "problem" could be solved by saving with all girls being only a scene away from 100-110 and then loading, doing the 2 girls i want to see the ending for and then skipping the rest of the days but that only leads to 2-3 minutes of clicking "go to sleep" and is not fun at all. Also, it feels like a chore and kills my boner which is the biggest deal here tbh.

I hope this is taken into consideration in one form or another.

Regardie has the right idea, the three choices on the last day actually decide what ending you end up with. The choices aren't available at all if your influence isn't high enough with certain girls (Staying at the lab, for example, requires Nora at 100+). I don't think it's telegraphed enough that those choices control the ending you get though, so I'll see about making it more clear.
vrengames

Postby Somethingelse » Sat May 13, 2017 7:13 pm

vrengames Wrote:The formula for the red serum isn't obtained through Nora directly. Try exploring the lab by sneaking in either early or late with the door code and you should have better luck.

How do you get passed that locked door?
Somethingelse
Newly Registered

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Flash Projects