LOK: Rebirth v0.4e (updated July 26th)

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Re: LOK: Rebirth [Unity] Demo (e) (updated Jul 29th) Mac bui

Postby Enkide » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:50 am

Abelius Wrote:
Dongman Wrote:as of now are there any h scenes other than the shower one?

Not particularly hot, but if you select the top or bottom responses in the dialogue with the Gatekeeper, you could see two variants.

In 0.1 there will be sexier interactions. I don't want to go straight to hard-core scenes, but I recognize I've left the demo a little barren when it comes to sexy animations... :roll:

Should comrpomize with each .1 + update, one H on S, so you tease with hot actions and sex actions equally.
Enkide

Postby FreemanGordonXD » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:49 pm

The 0.1 is pretty hyped, any glimpse on ETA?
FreemanGordonXD
Newly Registered

Postby Abelius » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:24 pm

TheUnspoken Wrote:And here we see a rare glimpse of Abelius as he progresses with each stage of the project.
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Or, in other words, what I call "Morning and Night". :roll:

Enkide Wrote:Should comrpomize with each .1 + update, one H on S, so you tease with hot actions and sex actions equally.

Yeah well, the way I see it, Krys is not one of the virginal, clueless about sex, school girls that populate slow corruption games out there. You could say that she would fuck a guy on their first date if he's attractive enough and a gentleman.

On the other hand, she maintains the illusion that she's still on an important official mission, not inside a hentai game for us to fap to her. :lol:

So don't worry, this will not be like Dating My Daughter.
Abelius

Postby Alrianna » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:09 am

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but when I try to open the application for the Mac version, it pops up with a message saying, "The application “LoK Rebirth - Demo (e) [Mac]” can’t be opened." It could be possible that this is an error on my end since I am quite inadequate with technology in general, but I thought I might as well let you know.
Alrianna
Newly Registered

Postby Abelius » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Alrianna Wrote:I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but when I try to open the application for the Mac version, it pops up with a message saying, "The application “LoK Rebirth - Demo (e) [Mac]” can’t be opened." It could be possible that this is an error on my end since I am quite inadequate with technology in general, but I thought I might as well let you know.

Thank you. Actually, you're the second person to report this, although I estimate a 10-15% of our users have a Mac, so I guess I should have received more feedback on this issue (?). :?

Anyway, there's not much I can do to troubleshoot the problem, as I don't own a Mac, and Unity seems to dump that folder structure with no second thoughts about it.

Keep in mind though, that the file you download is a RAR compressed file. You need to decompress it before anything else...

FreemanGordonXD Wrote:The 0.1 is pretty hyped, any glimpse on ETA?

Indeed. Then reality will hit and people will ask themselves how that content required 1+ month to be developed but yeah, there's a lot of work (visible and invisible) involved.

Moreover, I won't lie: it's August. Even though I'm spending an unreasonable amount of time working on this, I'm supposed to be on a family vacation. And the mother of my children has a scary glare... :roll:

So, ETA... difficult to say. I'd like to have something before this month ends, which is what we promised (monthly updates), but I've been immersed in a quest for coding the right way instead of being a monkey smashing on the keyboard, and a new host of problems to be addressed have been plaguing me these days. You know... change one thing and two others stop working.

One thing's for sure: we want v0.1 to be a small GAME, not a demo. It won't be much to do, admittedly, but this version is supposed to be something you can play indefinitely, not an intro sequence from where you're forcedly evicted when you reach the end.

So it's very possible that we'll need more time for 0.1 than for future updates. We're sorry. :(
Abelius

Postby TheUnspoken » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:58 pm

People have been waiting for Star Citizen 3.0 for what is basically a whole year now, it was supposed to be here a few months ago, but as these things go, it got hit with delays (even more by the looks). Some are obviously annoyed and at worst fear monger - but most accept the delays, mostly due to how transparent and community involved the developers have been, but they also realise the product is worth waiting for, quality can't be rushed and this project is no different.

From what I've personally seen and tested so far it's definitely going to be worth it.
TheUnspoken
Newly Registered

Postby Enkide » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:47 am

Abelius Wrote:
Enkide Wrote:Should comrpomize with each .1 + update, one H on S, so you tease with hot actions and sex actions equally.

Yeah well, the way I see it, Krys is not one of the virginal, clueless about sex, school girls that populate slow corruption games out there. You could say that she would fuck a guy on their first date if he's attractive enough and a gentleman.

On the other hand, she maintains the illusion that she's still on an important official mission, not inside a hentai game for us to fap to her. :lol:

So don't worry, this will not be like Dating My Daughter.

Well i thought it'd be a great way to tease. Like HTH studios XD
Enkide

Postby Derpalot » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Abelius Wrote:[
Derpalot Wrote:...
Are there any plans for other encounters in the jungle if somebody would become 'lost'? The other idea of being possessed by the lust demon sounds fantastic too. But then I'm kind of partial to the more submissive and losing control type of deals. Which would make me a pretty big fan of this.

There are a couple that comes to my mind. At any rate, I guess you'll find the slave route more exciting than the normal one then. When we've got some solid initial content, I think we'll run a poll to decide when we start to work on it.

Oh, cool. That definately sounds very exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing that. I also really like how you mentioned that you want the next update to be actually work like a game rather than adding another piece.
Derpalot

Postby Totemist » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:34 am

I return from two weeks out of contact with the wider data-borg at a remote manual labor jobsite only to end up with a sad erection when I check the thread. In all seriousness, glad things are still progressing and good on you for getting more in-depth in the coding to produce a superior game. Since I'll be financially solvent for a good while by the end of the summer I'll be able to throw some monthly shekels your way once v 0.1 is released. Best of luck, see you space cowboy.
Totemist

Postby d00fusdude » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:35 am

Alrianna Wrote:I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but when I try to open the application for the Mac version, it pops up with a message saying, "The application “LoK Rebirth - Demo (e) [Mac]” can’t be opened." It could be possible that this is an error on my end since I am quite inadequate with technology in general, but I thought I might as well let you know.

Hi Alrianna,

I had the same problem. Follow the steps on the link below to fix your problem (worked for me, at least).
https://discussions.apple.com/message/31662237#31662237

Hopefully this works for you too!
d00fusdude
Newly Registered

Postby Alrianna » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:39 pm

d00fusdude Wrote:

Hi Alrianna,

I had the same problem. Follow the steps on the link below to fix your problem (worked for me, at least).
https://discussions.apple.com/message/31662237#31662237

Hopefully this works for you too!

Thank you so much for this! It worked after a bit of struggling on my part, but it was successful nonetheless.
Alrianna
Newly Registered

Postby savilian » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:40 am

What happened? Just saw the post on patreon of count down was stopped, is the version 0.1 not comming out in the week?
savilian

Postby Ungawa » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:05 am

savilian Wrote:What happened? Just saw the post on patreon of count down was stopped, is the version 0.1 not comming out in the week?

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7423&start=380#p658378
Ungawa

Postby savilian » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:28 am

Ungawa Wrote:
savilian Wrote:What happened? Just saw the post on patreon of count down was stopped, is the version 0.1 not comming out in the week?

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7423&start=380#p658378

No its a different thing that was happening, the link you posted was on another news way before the countdown started.
Now the new news is on the patreon post locked behind a paywall, I really hope the post was a good news rather then a bad news.
savilian

Postby Abelius » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:33 am

Hi guys,

I posted those news as a patrons-only post because I get rather personal in there, and thought it would be a good idea to limit the number of people who actually has access to that kind of mind-dump heart-spilling posts of mine. But after re-reading it I think it's okay to re-post it here. This is a relatively small forum full of friends anyway, so here you go. Thanks for your interest.

Countdown aborted... here's why.
It’s a week before the planned launch on Sep 15th. I have five days left (can’t work this weekend for family reasons), and I clearly see I didn’t aim well at the date.
When I returned from vacation, I thought that 20 days would be all I needed to complete my vision of the first playable LoK:Rebith version. That throwing 12 hours/day at something (anything!) would be the only necessary thing to complete any given job... but I was wrong again.

For example, I allotted one day to make a certain repeatable quest and I’ve been with that one since Monday... and I estimated that because I wrote the intro dialogue between Krys and the Chieftain in just a day.

This time, though, I didn’t count on the added complexity of a non-linear conversation that any repeatable quest should have. And with added complexity, added bugs come as well. About a 25% of my time goes to test what I’ve implemented and another 40% to troubleshoot issues I didn’t foresee or thought already fixed (plugin authors love me...).

In other words, I only allowed myself enough time to be infallible. And now Reality has come to slap me in the face.

What is killing me is that I naively promised monthly updates to you guys, so my word is basically worth shit at this point. A fact that I hate because I left my job to pursue a lifetime career as independent creator and now I’ll be known by all as Abelius: ‘that cockteaser guy that doesn’t deliver on time’.

So why did I set a deadline again? Well, I guess it was to put me under pressure. What I didn’t realize is that I am royally stressed already, because if this doesn’t work out then I’ll be in problems. But I don’t want to bore you guys to death with personal matters.

The fact is that I can’t continue on making promises to myself, nor you. Not if even giving all I have is not enough to keep up with others creator’s update rate.

I’ve looked upon games like ‘Dating My Daughter’, ‘Summertime Saga’ or ‘Big Brother’, without realizing those games are based on assets with a creation workflow that is completely different than ours. I won’t use the word ‘easy’ (by any means!) but the fact is, when they expand their games, they do it in an already known way, also with a certain peace of mind at not needing to get out of Renpy’s capabilities to deliver interesting gaming experiences.

So indeed, I know we’re not making a simple game here… that’s my only excuse at this point. To the best of my knowledge, only a few of creators are making 2D side-scrollers and certainly even less (if any) are trying to mix adventure and sim elements into them.

A funny fact is that when I started to consider doing a game like this I was awed at the fact that nobody, or very little people, was doing so… Now I fully understand why.

But this is not about remorse. Hell no. Because when I’m not worried about breaking promises I actually enjoy working on this.

Still, I need to change how LoK:Rebirth fits into my life. Because the project can’t continue being my life. It needs to fit in among the other things I can’t avoid to ignore anymore, like family, exercising, paperwork (I’m a freelance now), etc.

Therefore, I hereby declare the ‘Countdown to v0.1’ stopped and useless for all purposes. The work continues, of course, but I won’t give out any date estimates anymore. By the way, Kuja advised me against that on both occasions… and I ignored him twice, like the fool I am.

I know this will hit our Patreon, but there’s nothing we can do about it. Not when there’s not a playable game out there for showing off our work and create new fans. Most of you guys are die-hard fans already and I know we can count of you praying for our success.

But for a Patreon to be really successful and be the livelihood of two or three people, bigger numbers are needed. And those numbers come only with a polished game that offers a great gaming experience, which is NOT our case at the moment. And I’m still strongly against publicizing the game before that happens.

Of course, we’ll be giving refunds for all people who ask. I clearly stated v0.1 would be out this month and now I’m pretty certain that won’t happen. And even though this Patreon business is voluntary and a tip jar for creators to be doing their ‘art’, not ‘selling products’ so to speak, we can’t expect everybody to embrace that philosophy, not when I’m the first to break expectations. And the last thing I want is people calling me a con-artist (in addition to ‘cock-teaser’) and add more guiltiness to my already buffed account. So feel free to ask, please!

What I’ll be doing from now on…? Work about 40 hours/week. Probably more, but without the pressure of a deadline over my head. And we’ll continue to give updates in the meantime so at least you know if we’re approaching the actual release date.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Abelius

Postby savilian » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Abelius Wrote:Hi guys,

I posted those news as a patrons-only post because I get rather personal in there, and thought it would be a good idea to limit the number of people who actually has access to that kind of mind-dump heart-spilling posts of mine. But after re-reading it I think it's okay to re-post it here. This is a relatively small forum full of friends anyway, so here you go. Thanks for your interest.

Countdown aborted... here's why.

Take your time, we know that you would be need more time to make the game, we will wait. Just hoping that we can get a patreon 0.1+ release before X'mas.
savilian

Postby Enkide » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:10 pm

Then change the launch date. real life before krystal life.
Enkide

Postby Abelius » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:23 pm

savilian Wrote:Just hoping that we can get a patreon 0.1+ release before X'mas.

Hell yeah! :lol:

Enkide Wrote:Then change the launch date. real life before krystal life.

I think I'll take a different approach this time. Instead of a date, I'll give 'percentage of tasks completed' status updates.
Abelius

Postby Enkide » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:54 pm

Abelius Wrote:
Enkide Wrote:Then change the launch date. real life before krystal life.

I think I'll take a different approach this time. Instead of a date, I'll give 'percentage of tasks completed' status updates.

Works too.
Enkide

Postby Abelius » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:45 am

We have a Trello board to follow progress.

Much better than a 'progress bar', I guess. :roll:
Abelius

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Flash Projects