LOK: Rebirth v0.4e (updated July 26th)

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Re: LOK: Rebirth [UNITY] Demo launched! (Jul 16th)

Postby Totemist » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:48 pm

So, the demo looks great. Animation, art, both stellar. One thing I will say is that the demo is pretty heavy on exposition, actually to infodump levels, so some suggestions [NITPICKING MODE ENGAGED]:

Strip the dream sequence down to what Krystal actually sees: the gem glowing, maybe a reflection of a vague, almost abstract, scifi city that grows mightier as the crystal glows brighter and is shown burning as the crystal turns red and shatters. Inspiration can be drawn from this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cours ... intings%29

Then, as the game progresses, reveal the background in bits and pieces as Krystal uncovers just what the Kitsune is looking for. I'd also counsel breaking up the explanation for what happened to village, with the Chieftain telling you more and more about the incident where the demon attacked him as she gains trust (giving her only the basics at their first meeting), especially the bits about his wife. Tease and reveal, make players wonder just how he broke free of her control until he opens up and makes us feel feelings for the old warrior. This adds extra satisfaction to pressing the "give lapdance" button and makes the players want to advance the story for its own sake instead of just unlocking more blue vixen pounding. Also maybe reveal that the Sharpclaw are primitive by choice over time as Krystal notices that they know more about the wider universe than they should for a spear-throwing civilization.

This opens another avenue for the Kitsune: the Lure of Empire, seducing rival leaders into advancing through magic instead of technology but to the same ends, perhaps leading to the conclusion that they misinterpreted the relics message and the pursuit of Empire, not technology, is the real danger. If you feel like it, you could make the leaders she seduces sympathetic in that they want to bring a better standard of living to their people and break the cycle of violence.

You could also remove a lot of Krystals opening dialogue, maybe even down to "again?" and then showing her getting up, leaving the comment in the shower which speaks for itself, and maybe having a bunch of dream interpretation articles open on the holo-computer when you look at it. Environmental storytelling.

I'd also really like to be able to convert the kitsune to the side of justice, possibly through the power of Lawful Good Dickings.
Totemist

Postby Sivi » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:03 pm

I have to say, when you guys announced a demo I didn't expect anything this... polished.
What art is there is great and once the boobies have been upgraded to the new version I'll have to find some superlatives to properly express my appreciation for your work. :mrgreen:
The pacing of the story so far is great as well, though as Totemist has said before me, the dream sequence may be a tad too clear. It's very nice to look at, but it does not feel like it's a dream until Krys yanks awake (the yelp is a very nice touch though)

What I enjoyed the most though are the dialogues and your options with them. Bringing the hammer of justice the the tech guys? Sign me up! (though i guess that technically includes me, heh)
The best option by far was being the voice of reason imo. Thats THE one best thing about the entire demo in fact, including the reaction and pissed expression right afterwards :mrgreen:

I would've posted the one gripe I had with the demo if you hadn't somehow already addressed it: the walking speed. It makes the game seem so very slow at times.
The newly implemented running speed feels just right for me when there is ground to cover.

One thing I might have overread someone else posting:
When you left-click on the markings in front of the village, Krys seems to always turn to the left, no matter where you stand.

Keep up the good work!

On a unrelated note:
Totemist Wrote:the power of Lawful Good Dickings.

That is a version of "Smite Evil" I'm not familiar with... I'm intrigued ;)
Sivi

Postby Frurose » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:25 am

Congratulations on your amazing demo. I was blown away by the visuals and I really like all of the expanded story / intro before the mission starts. I also want to say thank you with adding in the 'run' in the hotfix; although, I think it looks fine as it is now as a fast walk, so no hurry on the run animation. Anyway, keep up your stellar work and I will continue to wait patiently for the result.
Frurose

Postby Firefall » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:34 am

Still amazed by the quality of the art. Is Krystal's last fling on the ship gonna get worked on anytime soon, or are you going to focus more on the sharpclaws for now? Also, that's a *loooot* of jungle maps lol. We going to be doing stuff out there with those later?
Firefall

Postby Totemist » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:50 am

Sivi Wrote:On a unrelated note:
Totemist Wrote:the power of Lawful Good Dickings.

That is a version of "Smite Evil" I'm not familiar with... I'm intrigued ;)

It's practically a meme among the internet community for roleplaying game fans, usually in relation to a chiseled Paladin seducing a succubus or evil sorceress to the side of Truth and Justice.

On another note for Kuja et all, have you considered changing the leathers purpose from armor to shields? A youtuber by the screen-name of Shadversity did a great video on how the standard Barbarian loin-cloth look could be made practical that you should check out, linked below, for inspiration on how to make the Saurian warriors more functional under scrutiny, even with the partial armor motif:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iw_RD_h6bc

Plus, any excuse to have Zulu-style shields is a good one. They're under-represented and look great.

I also just want to chime in again that you have far and away blown past all previous LoK versions with this demoas far as art and animation, and a cut above in dialogue too. Only the abandoned and much-mourned Another Tail V2 came close.
Totemist

Postby Abelius » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:22 am

Demo updated (see OP).
Abelius

Postby Bathers107 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:45 am

Abelius Wrote:
Bathers107 Wrote:I was just wondering if you had a list of system requirements, I get some lagging and flickering if I set the demo to anything other than the minimum specs and wouldn't mind less than perfect graphics so long as the game runs smooth enough.

I don't, but my PC is fairly old (i5-2500, 16GB RAM and GTX770) and runs smoothly at Max setting. I guess you already tried with a no v-sync setting and in full-screen?

I'm running an Intel I3 5005U CPU clocked at 2.0 GHz integrated graphics at 1024 MBytes at 847MHz and 16GB of DDR3 Ram. I've tried with v-sync both on and off and windowed and fullscreeen.

I know this is a pretty low end system but sadly laptops are hard to upgrade so would need an entirely new system to get any hardware improvements.
Bathers107

Re: LOK: Rebirth [UNITY] Demo (c) (updated Jul 18th)

Postby Darthjake » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:00 pm

I know this might be sacrilege for some people, but I'm just really not a huge fan of furries.

However, I've been lurking and watching this thread for some time, and have been intrigued and amazed at the level of quality, so I just tested the demo, and...

I was freaking blown away. Your team has set the bar high, and as far as I'm concerned you made it just fine. I will be eagerly looking forward to more developments in this thread, keep up the great work!
Darthjake

Postby Sivi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Prettier main menu indeed.... :)

One tiny bug:
Krys turns If you doubleclick anywhere on the background while being in the transition from walking to standing (the mini in place moon walk)
Probably tied to your walkaround of disabling pathfinding for the background though.

Once I also had a small bug when triggering the Placeholder for ship activities after talking to the commander.
It didn't give the usual smoothed out screen with the placeholder text, but it kicked me out of the dialog window instead with the text being on top of the "normal screen" with everything visible.
Couldn't reproduce it though.

Totemist Wrote:It's practically a meme among the internet community for roleplaying game fans, usually in relation to a chiseled Paladin seducing a succubus or evil sorceress to the side of Truth and Justice.

Ah, I should've figured it is.
That actually sounds like something my current pathfinder group would attempt now that I think about it.
They even wanted to roll on "ride" while waiting in the completely bound and gagged harem of an Orc shaman.
Sivi

Postby FuzzFace » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:32 am

Very nice demo! Enjoying the art direction and the choices of dialogue. One problem though, but it may have to do with my mouse. When I click to go to the next dialogue, it would double, meaning I would accidentally skip some parts of the story. Like I said, it could be my mouse, but perhaps there could be something like a one second or two second delay until the player can click to proceed through when they are talking.
FuzzFace

Postby Abelius » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:24 am

Hi there,

I'm sorry I'm not replying to you guys these past days, but I'm pretty focused on making the save system to work... The good news is that I think I will be able to upload it tomorrow. And if that version passes your mass test trial, I'll be able to finally start putting together more content and be on our way to version 0.1 :mrgreen:

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Thanks!
Abelius

Postby Enkide » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:09 am

Nice work on the demo, can't wait to see how much more she'll go through, keep it up.
Enkide

Re: LOK: Rebirth [UNITY] Demo (d) (updated Jul 21st)

Postby Abelius » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:28 pm

Hi there.

I've updated the demo with the saving system and a Quit to Main Menu button.

There's no new content but I'd be very grateful if you guys could test it, try to break it and report the bugs you find... because you WILL find bugs, I'm sure. :roll:

It goes without saying that if you find something, it would be great if you're as detailed as possible.

Thank you.

Change Log
--------------
Enhancements:
- Save/Load system added.

Changes:
- Esc menu Quit button now exits to Main Menu.
- Added an invisible hotspot over main character. Another measure to minimize pathfinding issues and a way for activating her personal actions when they're implemented.

Fixes:
- Main Menu buttons no longer remain on screen after the intro.
- Flagship expansion notice, after first Commander conversation, is shown with filtered background again.

Known issues:
- Pathfinding is not 100% accurate. Troubleshooting with the plugin author.

Windows
https://mega.nz/#!Nt9h3DCa!C1y3_CC-Tp89ZuFaOXqipVacQrqkwLHXiYigKt0I3aE
Linux
https://mega.nz/#!Q0d3BTBB!KIzhKpgjmZFB0UGeoAnt1QPpiZ_1V0nywkn8u650J_4
Abelius

Postby LMJD » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:26 pm

A new demo, yay
LMJD

Postby Enkide » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:53 am

Hopefully the next demo will have more of krystal being kinky. :P
Enkide

Postby Smoke » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:27 am

Damn, I can't wait for the full version. I really like the animation and graphics ; ]
Smoke
Newly Registered

Postby Troopage » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Very well done, kuja and Abelius. My hard drive was corrupted and I only just got everything situated yesterday. Without echoing everything has already been said, I will just say thank you.

With Demo (d) I was unable to save or load, even though the system is there. It just shows up like this:

Other than this, I have no other bugs to report. ;)
Troopage

Postby Abelius » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Troopage Wrote:With Demo (d) I was unable to save or load, even though the system is there. It just shows up like this:

Sorry. That was a huge mistake.

Here...

LoK Rebirth - Demo (d - bugfixed)
https://mega.nz/#!Vh0W2bTS!8act4Rg2KNV57u2oM8TTL781fY-y8S-TbfhSRZcUYWc
Abelius

Re: LOK: Rebirth [UNITY] Demo (d - bugfixed) (updated Jul 22

Postby Totemist » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:37 am

I'm liking how smooth the bugfixes and system implementations are. Eventually, a map of sorts would be nice since I got lost a couple of times.
Totemist

Re: LOK: Rebirth [UNITY] Demo (d - bugfixed) (updated Jul 22

Postby FuzzFace » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:21 am

Alright, I'm going to be going through the save/load bug tests. In these tests I will be saving before, and after each event/screen. And after each save, I will load and record here the results, (or if something odd happens during a save, I will record that anomaly as well.) It will be time consuming, But I hope to be as detailed as possible.

/Newgame- Windowed (for easy note writing)- graphics medium (v-sync)- resolution 1280x720
/Krystal wakes up. Save. Load game from in game menu. Works fine. Quit. Load game from MAIN MENU, screen loads Krystal, but she is facing a different way, screen starts to fade black, and the soul gem shattering sound plays. [Analysis, loading the game from the menu replays part of the intro during gameplay. Game goes from black to normal as I press esc.]

/Saved game after call from commander. Loaded game from in game menu. Works fine. Quit. Loaded game from main menu. Same issue as before, screen goes black and soul crystal breaking sound plays. This was still in Krystal’s room.

/In Krystal’s room. Got dressed. Saved, loaded, everything was fine. Quit, loaded from main menu, same thing as before, screen goes black and soul crystal breaking noise plays.

/Exited Krystal’s room. (now in the hall) Saved and loaded from the in game menu. Everything is fine. Quit to main menu and loaded from there. Same thing as before., screen goes black, crystal shattering noise plays. (From this point on I will refer to when the screen goes black and playing the crystal shattering noise as the intro crystal bug)

/Here’s a bug That’s not related to loading or saving. I went and spoke to the commander, and I rushed trying to skip all the dialogue by clicking as fast as I can, and this happened-
after commander speaks bug.PNG

It would appear that the characters are in “chat mode”. Saved game, and loaded from in game menu, this did not resolve the issue. Quit game, loaded from main menu, the issue of the “chat mode” has been resolved, but the intro crystal bug plays out.

/Went into the hanger, landed on planet. Saved game and loaded from in game menu. Everything is fine. Quit to main menu and loaded from there. Intro crystal bug plays.

/Talked to ship, ran into bug. I did not rush as fast as before, going along half second clicks to go through the dialogue and this happened-
after talking to ship.PNG

Notice there is no ship in the background. That’s because I’m walking like this. I can click in the back ground and the foreground “Chat mode” Krystal will walk in place. Saved game, loaded from in game menu, came back to game as it was, with Krystal in “chat mode.” Quit to main menu, loaded saved game and the “Chat mode” Krystal has been resolved. Intro crystal bug plays.

/Proceeded EAST of the ship site. Saved game, loaded from in game menu, Everything is fine. Quit to main menu, loading from there. Intro crystal bug plays.

/Proceeded EAST of that section (2 screens away from ship) saved game and loaded from in game menu, everything is fine. Quit to main menu, loaded from there and the intro crystal bug plays.

/Went NORTH, saved game, loaded from in game menu, everything is honky dory, just fine. Quit, loaded from main menu, Que the intro crystal bug.

/Went EAST, Saved game, quit to main menu Loaded from there, into crystal bug plays. Loaded game from in game menu, everything was fine. (switched it up there a bit.)

/ Went EAST to the trap, saved game, loaded from in game menu, everything was fine. Quit to main menu, loaded from there, intro crystal bug plays.

/Went far WEST, until I hit the ENTRANCE to North. Saved game, loaded from menu, nothing of interest happened. Quit, loaded from main menu, intro crystal bug plays.

/Proceeded NORTH, saved game, loaded from the in game menu, everything was fine. Quit to main menu loaded from there, and the intro crystal bug plays.

(I’m going to assume the rest of the next areas will do the same, So I’ll go straight to the Razorclaws village.)

/Saved while Razorclaw said halt! Loaded game, focus was off of the lizard person, other than that game was fine. Quit and loaded from main menu, intro crystal bug plays.

/Found one of those anomalies. Finished speaking with the Razorclaw guard, who sent me into a tent. I’m stuck walking around in “chat mode”.-

This time I did not rush the conversation. I read through it and when I came to the tent, I was stuck like this. (Note to self, take a screen shot before saving and loading from main menu)Saved game, loaded from in game menu, did not resolve the “chat mode” incident. But quitting to the main menu and loading from there did. Also, the intro crystal bug plays.

/New bug type incoming. Still in the tent where they put me, I keep waiting, but nothing happens...I believe you just wait, right? I’ve waited for a good five minutes, and nothing happens. Before I got into the tent I was speaking to the guard before, and I chose the most bottom right answer, and it brought the lizard to grope Krystal.

I hope this helped.
FuzzFace

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Flash Projects