Claire's Quest [RPGMaker MV]

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Claire's Quest [RPGMaker MV]

Postby Architect » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:32 am

INTRODUCTION:

Hello, I'm Architect, and on behalf of my team, the Dystopian Project, I'd like to present to you Claire's Quest.

b]Claire's Quest[/b] is a dark fantasy game made set in a world reminiscent of the early Renaissance. The game was built using RPG Maker MV, but unlike the majority of RPG Maker games out there, the game is totally devoid of combat. Gameplay instead revolves around dialogue, decision-making, and occasional puzzle-solving, with a heavy emphasis on the story and replay value.

You play as the titular Claire, a desperate refugee fleeing an invasion of her homeland that has stripped her of everything. Thrust into a world without innocence, where the very worst of humanity and all of society's evils are on full display, Claire seems doomed to meet with a grim fate. As the player, will you help Claire to defy the odds, or make her succumb to her basest desires?

With your choices, you can decide the outcome of Claire's Quest.

---

ABOUT:

Claire's Quest is an adult roleplaying game made using RPGMaker MV. However, unlike the majority of RPGMaker games, Claire's Quest is devoid of any form of combat. In fact, the game plays more like a Visual Novel being run on an RPG-based engine.

Primary gameplay revolves around interaction. You will spend much of your time exploring, talking, gathering items, and solving the occasional puzzle. The world of Claire's Quest is written around a deep story and rich lore that you can learn more about if you wish, or simply ignore as you go about your journey. There are a huge number of quests in the game, most of which have sex scenes, and many of which have interconnected storylines and branching paths.

Additionally, the driving force behind Claire's Quest are choice and consequence. Unlike many games out there which explicitly state 'your actions have a consequence on the world' but do little to relay it, Claire's Quest is defined by the player's choice having a direct and major impact in Claire's life and in the world she lives in.

We really wanted it to be worth the player's while to play through the game multiple times - but having each time feel like it was a totally new story. As such, the game is extremely non-linear, and depending on what choices you make starting from the very beginning of the game, each playthrough can turn out very differently.

---

GAMEPLAY:

Adult Content
Let's start with the good stuff first! This being an adult game, there are of course, gratuitous amounts of adult content! Much of that content comes in the form of high-quality 2D CG stills with accompanying text. Since the scenes are written faster than the artwork can be created, some scenes are text-only, but we plan to have as many as 100 unique CG + text scenes upon the game's completion!

Hunger & Energy
In the beginning of the game, Claire has Hunger Points (HP) and Energy Points (EP). Having sex or doing strenuous things drains EP, and when you run out of EP you can't have consensual sex or do tiring things anymore (lack of EP doesn't mean you can avoid rape scenes however!) Sleeping restores EP, but will drain HP; eating food restores HP, but buying food costs money; you can perform activities which cost EP that get you money. Hence, HP & EP work basically work together in a continuous loop.

Stats/Attributes
Rather than using combat to resolve quests, Claire must rely on her four primary stats/attributes: Defiance, Depravity, Seduction, and Intrigue. This system is what sets Claire's Quest apart from the majority of adult games out there. The options available to Claire as the game progresses depends on which stats she's chosen to prioritize over the others. An example of how they work can be found below:
Defiance is basically an indication of Claire's physical strength and mental fortitude. If Claire is attacked by a group of men intending to gangrape her, a high enough Defiance means that she can fight them off.

Depravity basically determines Claire's sexual willingness. At low Depravity, even simple sexual acts like blowjobs will be met with revulsion and rejection by Claire. At higher levels of Depravity, she becomes willing to try increasingly twisted and kinky sexual activities, such as bestiality.

Seduction determines how sexually skilled Claire actually is. Being willing to have sex is one thing - actually being good at sex is another. An attractive woman who just lies in bed and doesn't move isn't much of a lay. At low Seduction, Claire will frequently disappoint in bed. Improving her Seduction will not only allow Claire to sexually rock her partner's world, it will also change the text and CG in the scenes. Seduction also determines how attractive other characters find Claire - something that can be exploited to gain additional dialogue choices and options.

Intrigue judges Claire's ability and willingness to commit shadowy acts of espionage. Intrigue allows her to do any number of things, from simple acts of lying and stealing to clandestine spy operations and even meticulously planned assassinations.

Exploration and Quests
Claire's Quest is designed to be open-world. After the prologue ends, there are four large islands - Rathpike, Valos, Sorraine, and Trisse - that can be explored at the player's own prerogative. Each island contains a major city-state of the same name, as well as smaller outlying settlements and monster-infested 'wilderness'-type regions. Each island comes with their own set of recurring kinks or fetishes. For example, Rathpike has a focus on bestiality, while Valos has a focus on futanari and bondage. There are numerous quests in each island, and each city-state also comes with their own major storylines that span many missions and directly affect the fate of that particular city-state.

---

PATREON:

If you're interested, please visit our Patreon for the latest public version download links, changelog details, as well as weekly progress blogposts!
Last edited by Architect on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:22 am, edited 15 times in total.
Architect

Re: Claire's Quest [RPGMaker MV]

Postby MMMm » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:08 pm

I like the game so far, only a few points I was curious about.

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

I haven't found a way to get past the bridge guards without giving up at least 40 coins. You can enter the forest right away and meet that herbalist who brews potions. Why not pay her for some of that toxic, horrible smelling brew so you can throw it in the midst of the guards and run past? Even if you only spent 25 coins for the potion, it's better than 40.

Once Claire finds out from the guard captain that the guard tax was illegal, she should ask for her money back. Even if the guy says "No." she would have tried.

Shouldn't that guy you stab have food on him? He boasts about having a full range of supplies and the money to pay for getting out of there, and yet he only had 15 coins on him in that chest. He could have been lying, but the fact that he was willing to pay you most of his life savings in exchange for stripping naked says otherwise.

After you've killed a man and realized that the guards are running some kind of human trafficking ring that even enslaves children, it becomes prudent that you get out of there with the smuggler. She's even seen that the guards are willing to beat men to death if they so much as ask about their wives and daughters. There's no doubt that a life of gang rape awaits you. Claire has even seen a guard sexually exploiting a girl in exchange for a permit that he was never going to give out. At this point, why can't Claire just threaten the old man who wants to fondle her for all of his coins? He's old and weak. Just hold a hand over his face and keep it there until he stops moving, then take what you want.

There's also that guard that offers you money to suck his dick. Why not offer to do it, then squeeze his balls and bash his head in with a rock? You've already murdered someone, so all bets are off. These people have to be sacrificed in order for you to not be raped. You shouldn't have to be sexually exploited either, when violence or murder is an option. She's the daughter of a famous adventurer, after all and her mother sacrificed her life to save hers. Can't waste that sacrifice.

As another suggestion, perhaps Claire could also attempt to pawn the permit she gets off on someone. One of the male refugees is arguing with his kid about not going in without her. Claire knows only she can get in using that permit, but that guy doesn't. She could sell it to him and get the cash she needs to escape.

If the guy who gives you the quest for Marie's ring had the 30 coins on him the whole time, why can't you loot his corpse? Where could he have been hiding them that you wouldn't have found them if you let him die?

I'm fine with there being consequences down the line for these actions. You just do what you have to do to survive.

Still, I managed to get enough coins with the ring quest and giving the wounded guy some medicine, so that's a plus. I stabbed the man just because I could.

Thanks for the game.
MMMm

Postby Darthjake » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:29 am

MMMm Wrote:I like the game so far, only a few points I was curious about.

I haven't found a way to get past the bridge guards without giving up at least 40 coins. You can enter the forest right away and meet that herbalist who brews potions. Why not pay her for some of that toxic, horrible smelling brew so you can throw it in the midst of the guards and run past? Even if you only spent 25 coins for the potion, it's better than 40.

Once Claire finds out from the guard captain that the guard tax was illegal, she should ask for her money back. Even if the guy says "No." she would have tried.

Shouldn't that guy you stab have food on him? He boasts about having a full range of supplies and the money to pay for getting out of there, and yet he only had 15 coins on him in that chest. He could have been lying, but the fact that he was willing to pay you most of his life savings in exchange for stripping naked says otherwise.

After you've killed a man and realized that the guards are running some kind of human trafficking ring that even enslaves children, it becomes prudent that you get out of there with the smuggler. She's even seen that the guards are willing to beat men to death if they so much as ask about their wives and daughters. There's no doubt that a life of gang rape awaits you. Claire has even seen a guard sexually exploiting a girl in exchange for a permit that he was never going to give out. At this point, why can't Claire just threaten the old man who wants to fondle her for all of his coins? He's old and weak. Just hold a hand over his face and keep it there until he stops moving, then take what you want.

There's also that guard that offers you money to suck his dick. Why not offer to do it, then squeeze his balls and bash his head in with a rock? You've already murdered someone, so all bets are off. These people have to be sacrificed in order for you to not be raped. You shouldn't have to be sexually exploited either, when violence or murder is an option. She's the daughter of a famous adventurer, after all and her mother sacrificed her life to save hers. Can't waste that sacrifice.

As another suggestion, perhaps Claire could also attempt to pawn the permit she gets off on someone. One of the male refugees is arguing with his kid about not going in without her. Claire knows only she can get in using that permit, but that guy doesn't. She could sell it to him and get the cash she needs to escape.

If the guy who gives you the quest for Marie's ring had the 30 coins on him the whole time, why can't you loot his corpse? Where could he have been hiding them that you wouldn't have found them if you let him die?

I'm fine with there being consequences down the line for these actions. You just do what you have to do to survive.

Still, I managed to get enough coins with the ring quest and giving the wounded guy some medicine, so that's a plus. I stabbed the man just because I could.

Thanks for the game.

How did you stab the guy, I've been looking for a way to do just that, but can't figure it out. I've managed to tease him into giving me a tip but that's all.
Darthjake

Postby Architect » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:12 am

Thanks for the feedback! This is all incredibly detailed and very helpful! I'll answer some of the points in the spoilers:

MMMm Wrote:I like the game so far, only a few points I was curious about.

I haven't found a way to get past the bridge guards without giving up at least 40 coins. You can enter the forest right away and meet that herbalist who brews potions. Why not pay her for some of that toxic, horrible smelling brew so you can throw it in the midst of the guards and run past? Even if you only spent 25 coins for the potion, it's better than 40. That brew does only work on monsters since humans can stand very close to it without any real risk of harm. The brew *will* be available in the next version for other, non throw-in-guards-faces reasons though.

Once Claire finds out from the guard captain that the guard tax was illegal, she should ask for her money back. Even if the guy says "No." she would have tried. That does make sense! I think I'll add it in!

Shouldn't that guy you stab have food on him? He boasts about having a full range of supplies and the money to pay for getting out of there, and yet he only had 15 coins on him in that chest. He could have been lying, but the fact that he was willing to pay you most of his life savings in exchange for stripping naked says otherwise. Money is easy enough to loot, but carrying off crates of his supplies might seem a bit suspicious, no?

After you've killed a man and realized that the guards are running some kind of human trafficking ring that even enslaves children, it becomes prudent that you get out of there with the smuggler. She's even seen that the guards are willing to beat men to death if they so much as ask about their wives and daughters. There's no doubt that a life of gang rape awaits you. Claire has even seen a guard sexually exploiting a girl in exchange for a permit that he was never going to give out. At this point, why can't Claire just threaten the old man who wants to fondle her for all of his coins? He's old and weak. Just hold a hand over his face and keep it there until he stops moving, then take what you want. We're actually going to let her actions go down darker paths like this when you get higher levels of Defiance. With the current level of Defiance you *can* get in the starting zones, these actions won't be possible or practical - the Isles are a totally different matter.

There's also that guard that offers you money to suck his dick. Why not offer to do it, then squeeze his balls and bash his head in with a rock? You've already murdered someone, so all bets are off. These people have to be sacrificed in order for you to not be raped. You shouldn't have to be sexually exploited either, when violence or murder is an option. She's the daughter of a famous adventurer, after all and her mother sacrificed her life to save hers. Can't waste that sacrifice. Again, just a Defiance thing. Letting her go too rambo at this early stage might be somewhat disconcerting. We'd like her to slowly evolve and grow as you make your choices.

As another suggestion, perhaps Claire could also attempt to pawn the permit she gets off on someone. One of the male refugees is arguing with his kid about not going in without her. Claire knows only she can get in using that permit, but that guy doesn't. She could sell it to him and get the cash she needs to escape. Well if you read it in the items it does specifically describe the people that can get in using the permit.

If the guy who gives you the quest for Marie's ring had the 30 coins on him the whole time, why can't you loot his corpse? Where could he have been hiding them that you wouldn't have found them if you let him die? That... actually makes a lot of sense. Seems a little mean and unrewarding to sort of just loot him though.

Thanks for the game.
Architect

Postby talyn » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:04 am

After having played this I see a lot of potential for it. Really looking forward to future updates to see what your more "extreme" scenes that you decided to cull and save for later are ;). I had questions myself but they were all pretty much asked in greater detail than i thought of by MMMm.
talyn
Newly Registered

Postby Borkenone » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:27 am

I must say I like the mapping and tiles of v3.0 more.
Borkenone

Postby Architect » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:10 am

How did you stab the guy, I've been looking for a way to do just that, but can't figure it out. I've managed to tease him into giving me a tip but that's all.

You need to raise your Defiance level to do roguish things like that.

I must say I like the mapping and tiles of v3.0 more.

Really? My previous mapping style had people complaining they were too cramped, so I tried to make it cleaner this time. We are thinking of changing the shading and texture of the tileset to make it look more sinister and less cheery though.
Architect

Postby Jdehboy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:55 am

I love the game so far. I find myself playing and replaying it to toy with different choices, and even the order of choices.
With that said, I encountered one game-breaking glitch early on. For you players that wish not to be spoiled, close your eyes.

The Lecherous Refugee that asks to see your breasts will repeatedly pay you 5 silver if you first refuse, and then return. It skips the EP cost, you don't receive Depravity, and it is endlessly repeatable. I assume this is an unintentional glitch seeing that any other option with him is final, and unrepeatable.
Jdehboy
Newly Registered

Postby Borkenone » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:14 pm

visually, the v3.0 one done refugee camp part better.
I'd say due to the nature of the story, the new version end up being "too clean" in some aspect.
Borkenone

Postby Architect » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:16 pm

Borkenone Wrote:visually, the v3.0 one done refugee camp part better.
I'd say due to the nature of the story, the new version end up being "too clean" in some aspect.

Hm. That's a problem. If more people raise this complaint we might end up redoing the whole map, but for now a retexturing is what we have on the cards
Architect

Postby Darthjake » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:04 pm

Well that would be why I could not stab the guy....

I had a high enough defiance but I had not completely explored the map.

Also while working in Hooktown if you accidentally try to exit the building while working for the baker you get a "I can't leave while I'm working" message and then you are stuck in the door way.

I'm enjoying the game, this is definitely one that you can play through several times in order to get different playthroughs.

Keep up the great work!
Darthjake

Postby BlackDread » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:59 pm

Really enjoyed this game, I would have liked some signs or something indicating the end of certain paths within this version, i ended up wondering around the island in the slave route for a good 10 minutes to find out it was pretty much empty. Cant wait for the art to be implemented, what you have so far looks really good.
BlackDread

Postby Architect » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:01 am

Jdehboy Wrote:I love the game so far. I find myself playing and replaying it to toy with different choices, and even the order of choices.
With that said, I encountered one game-breaking glitch early on. For you players that wish not to be spoiled, close your eyes.

The Lecherous Refugee that asks to see your breasts will repeatedly pay you 5 silver if you first refuse, and then return. It skips the EP cost, you don't receive Depravity, and it is endlessly repeatable. I assume this is an unintentional glitch seeing that any other option with him is final, and unrepeatable.

Ahhh, thanks! I'll fix that right up.

Darthjake Wrote:Well that would be why I could not stab the guy....

I had a high enough defiance but I had not completely explored the map.

Also while working in Hooktown if you accidentally try to exit the building while working for the baker you get a "I can't leave while I'm working" message and then you are stuck in the door way.

I'm enjoying the game, this is definitely one that you can play through several times in order to get different playthroughs.

Keep up the great work!

Glad you had fun! And yes, the whole point is to give it really strong replay value. And thanks for the bug catch!

BlackDread Wrote:Really enjoyed this game, I would have liked some signs or something indicating the end of certain paths within this version, i ended up wondering around the island in the slave route for a good 10 minutes to find out it was pretty much empty. Cant wait for the art to be implemented, what you have so far looks really good.

Ah, sorry about that, should have warned people gameplay ends when you reach the Isles.
Architect

Postby MMMm » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:48 am

Well,

a possible explanation for where the money the youth has went is that he swallowed and regurgitated the bag of money later on. Claire wouldn't think to check inside of him for the cash. Perhaps he could have 10 coins in his pockets? I wouldn't care if I was required to actually kill him if it means getting the money.

As far as the chest goes after you stab a guy, at the very least let us grab some dry rations or enough food to fill Claire's pockets. You murdered a guy! What makes it hilarious is that in the next town, being a housekeeper pays you 25. So this guy died for basically nothing. I keep coming back to this point mainly because I expected to steal the supplies and share them with the other refugees. It seemed a little odd to just take the money when I'll still need food for the road. At least a few days worth of food would be enough.

A cosmetic bug is that the ogre seems to reappear after you've successfully gotten the ring and just sits in that room when you renenter.

I bought the necklace for the refugee in the second town pawn shop and it acted like I had completed a quest? I never set any fires, but I did pick up kindling. When I went back in the pawn shop, the bodyguard was gone and it acted like I committed a crime? Must be a bug.

And with that, I wait for the next update. Great game, thanks for sharing.
MMMm

Postby Architect » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:06 am

MMMm Wrote:Well,

a possible explanation for where the money the youth has went is that he swallowed and regurgitated the bag of money later on. Claire wouldn't think to check inside of him for the cash. Perhaps he could have 10 coins in his pockets? I wouldn't care if I was required to actually kill him if it means getting the money.

As far as the chest goes after you stab a guy, at the very least let us grab some dry rations or enough food to fill Claire's pockets. You murdered a guy! What makes it hilarious is that in the next town, being a housekeeper pays you 25. So this guy died for basically nothing. I keep coming back to this point mainly because I expected to steal the supplies and share them with the other refugees. It seemed a little odd to just take the money when I'll still need food for the road. At least a few days worth of food would be enough.

A cosmetic bug is that the ogre seems to reappear after you've successfully gotten the ring and just sits in that room when you renenter.

I bought the necklace for the refugee in the second town pawn shop and it acted like I had completed a quest? I never set any fires, but I did pick up kindling. When I went back in the pawn shop, the bodyguard was gone and it acted like I committed a crime? Must be a bug.

And with that, I wait for the next update. Great game, thanks for sharing.

Thank you for catching those bugs! I'll fix them right up.

I'm definitely also implementing some of your suggestions in our next fix, they do make a whole lot of sense.

I will be releasing a 0.4.2 patch for all the bugfixes, but in addition, we will be adding in with 0.4.2 the first of the CG scenes (Refugee Camp, mainly) as well as some minor added content in general.
Architect

Postby MMMm » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:06 pm

One last bug. The necklace stays in your inventory even after you turn it in when you buy it. You can resell it after you supposedly gave it back to it's owner.

Just wanted to make sure you knew about that too for the update.
MMMm

Postby Ayeka » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:07 am

It is great! I hope you will continue work on this game. Good luck!
Ayeka

Postby DragonG » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:31 pm

is it only to me ? cos i don't see any pics when the events trigger i only see a black screen and the lines going down
DragonG

Postby hoboy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:02 pm

DragonG Wrote:is it only to me ? cos i don't see any pics when the events trigger i only see a black screen and the lines going down

From the changelog (first post)

"Additionally, H-scenes were made text-based to avoid future problems with artists and copyright issues if crowdfunding is used."
hoboy

Postby Darthjake » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:03 pm

DragonG Wrote:is it only to me ? cos i don't see any pics when the events trigger i only see a black screen and the lines going down

No, not just you, edit: appears hoboy answered you while I was posting, lol. No worries for me, I'm a big fan of The Last Sovereign which is currently text only, and it seems this author has a flair that is on par with that game's author.
Darthjake

Next

Return to Non-Flash Projects