Ouroboros (Complete!)

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Ouroboros (Complete!)

Postby Sierra Lee » Fri May 20, 2016 11:38 pm

Ouroboros presents a bright, cheerful world in which something is horrifyingly wrong. The hero has a princess to save and a quest set before him, but there are unsettling signs that all this has happened before. As you play the game, you'll come to realize that the dungeons and monsters are meaningless distractions from the task of uncovering the truth.

More info about this completed side project on my blog, or you can find the commercial version in the following places:
itch.io
Nutaku
MangaGamer
DLsite English
DLsite Japanese

You can also get it via Patreon. If you're an old or long time patron, just message me for a free copy! ^-^ But you can also use it as a store by giving me a temporary pledge, if you'd rather support directly instead of using one of the above stores.

If you like this project and don't know who I am, you can take a look at my other work in either of these places:
- The Last Sovereign (my ongoing solo project)
- Hreinn Games (my fully-illustrated collaboration with Nomo)

This was a lot of fun! Though I'll be working on my core projects for the foreseeable future, I hope at some point I can create some small completed games as well.
Last edited by Sierra Lee on Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sierra Lee

Re: Ouroboros (Complete!)

Postby nad destroyer » Sat May 21, 2016 2:48 am

Wow thats awesome! Don't know how you found time to do this. Will download and play.
nad destroyer

Postby Sierra Lee » Sat May 21, 2016 4:08 am

nad destroyer Wrote:Wow thats awesome! Don't know how you found time to do this. Will download and play.

Thanks! This is what I was doing last month with my TLS time - after the second chapter officially ended, I asked my Patreon backers if I could take a break to work on something fresh and they said yes. So I made this little game, some prototypes, and some stories. I'm focusing most of my energy on finishing NN and the next TLS release, but as I get extra time I'm polishing these and releasing them. ^-^
Sierra Lee

Postby evildumdum » Sat May 21, 2016 7:49 am

You must have some crazy time management skills.
"If at first you don't succeed, try hitting it with a shoe."

Coder for Code Bunny Studio's working AOB: Monster Rising
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7304
evildumdum

Postby Sierra Lee » Sun May 22, 2016 2:25 am

There is a new version of the game uploaded - notably, this version includes a prologue that didn't exist in any previous version of the game. The people who were kind enough to give this game a try were consistent in saying that the game didn't give away its true nature fast enough. Accordingly, I have changed the synopsis and added the prologue, which I hope will interest the people who would actually like this game.

evildumdum Wrote:You must have some crazy time management skills.

I try to stay productive, anyway. ^-^
Sierra Lee

Postby Sasha » Sun May 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Can you give any hint on how to get past the ice barriers that you can't melt with the candle? Looked all over the place but can't seem to find a solution. :s

Great game, by the way. Found what I think may be a bug though. If you lose to the evil lady in the castle (can't seem to remember her name, whoops), sometimes it says "Game over" for a second, then acts as if you beat her. Was on my 6/7th or so cycle, so I don't know if it happens earlier in the game or not. Not really game breaking or anything, but I thought I should mention it.
Sasha

Postby Sierra Lee » Sun May 22, 2016 6:57 pm

Sasha Wrote:Can you give any hint on how to get past the ice barriers that you can't melt with the candle? Looked all over the place but can't seem to find a solution. :s

Great game, by the way. Found what I think may be a bug though. If you lose to the evil lady in the castle (can't seem to remember her name, whoops), sometimes it says "Game over" for a second, then acts as if you beat her. Was on my 6/7th or so cycle, so I don't know if it happens earlier in the game or not. Not really game breaking or anything, but I thought I should mention it.

Hint: talk to awakened Emantha!

As for the rest, it does seem like you found a bug. Just an oversight on my part, so easily fixed. And thanks, glad you're enjoying it!
Sierra Lee

Postby Darthjake » Sun May 22, 2016 11:49 pm

I'm enjoying the game, although after the 3rd go I'm seeing more things, but I'm having issues with the Huge Golem, and the weird looking monster (the Garuda) near the fire dungeon.

Any hints for those 2?

Thanks and Looking forward to Chapter 3!
Darthjake

Postby kvier » Mon May 23, 2016 1:24 am

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

I found that the Garuda was practical to defeat using awakened Emantha's dark magic.

edit: Sierra Lee's hint is better
Last edited by kvier on Mon May 23, 2016 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
kvier

Postby Sierra Lee » Mon May 23, 2016 1:34 am

Darthjake Wrote:I'm enjoying the game, although after the 3rd go I'm seeing more things, but I'm having issues with the Huge Golem, and the weird looking monster (the Garuda) near the fire dungeon.

Any hints for those 2?

These two are actually a pair: the Golem is a physical tank, the Garuda is a magical tank. You will need a strong physical attack for the first and a strong magical attacker for the second. Kvier gave you good advice: Emantha has the strongest magical attacks.
Sierra Lee

Postby Darthjake » Mon May 23, 2016 4:32 am

Ah okay, so it's not me, it's just that I have not hit the point to "awaken" Emantha yet.

Yeah I've got Atreyan using the Unity ring atm, but I was still taking tons of damage even with the wind armor, and barely scratching him with the wind sword so I was wondering if I had missed a trick somewhere.

I guess I've got more goblins to kill, I'm up to around 250ish atm. : )

But it really is a good game, and I'm enjoying it very muchly!
Darthjake

Postby hoboy » Mon May 23, 2016 9:22 am

Finally got some time to play with this and - initially was wondering where to go and what to do but *ding* got it. Oh - you die over and over and need to wake up and get everyone else to wake up. Then it flows toward the end. My completionist tendencies wanted to keep going back to all dungeons for every last monster reward and bit of gold, but - why? Why put them all through any more torture? They are strong enough at the end to just kick ass - which I like. Too bad the princess isn't part of a final 5-way...

Excellent work, Sierra. As always...
hoboy

Postby Ronik » Mon May 23, 2016 12:14 pm

Really great game so far! I awakened 2 character but I can't seem to figure out how to buy the fire necklace.. Any hints?
Ronik
Newly Registered

Postby Darthjake » Mon May 23, 2016 5:38 pm

Get the gold first, *don't buy anything*, although if you do it right you should have enough for the sharp sword if you want. If you are having trouble gathering, don't forget the area that awakened you.

Look into my eyes and tell me how many goblins I have killed......
Darthjake

Postby brontanius » Mon May 23, 2016 5:55 pm

Hmm, i like the overall game and the mechanics are pretty cool, I very much so like the fact that you can jump in the game and am kind of curious as to how you did that. Other than that, while i was playing this, I accidently stumbled into a bit of a bug if you want to fix it. Dunno exactly how it works though.
Basically in the first dungeon(the earth one), I went up to the crevice thing in the area and battled vs the bats, I kept retrying it and for some reason, after a loss, the game just kind of stopped working. I could still see everything but couldn't do anything. Couldn't access the menu,move etc. However i knew the game was still running since the music was still playing.

However, other than that one bug, I really did enjoy this game by the time i finished it. Did find the three knight battle in the ice cave a bit hard though.
brontanius

Postby Sierra Lee » Mon May 23, 2016 7:03 pm

Darthjake Wrote:I guess I've got more goblins to kill, I'm up to around 250ish atm. : )

Uh, just to check, have you entered the castle yet? You might want to do that before killing more goblins.

hoboy Wrote:Finally got some time to play with this and - initially was wondering where to go and what to do but *ding* got it. Oh - you die over and over and need to wake up and get everyone else to wake up. Then it flows toward the end. My completionist tendencies wanted to keep going back to all dungeons for every last monster reward and bit of gold, but - why? Why put them all through any more torture? They are strong enough at the end to just kick ass - which I like. Too bad the princess isn't part of a final 5-way...

Excellent work, Sierra. As always...

Thanks! If I ever make an expanded version, I will probably add at least one scene with the Princess.

brontanius Wrote:Hmm, i like the overall game and the mechanics are pretty cool, I very much so like the fact that you can jump in the game and am kind of curious as to how you did that. Other than that, while i was playing this, I accidently stumbled into a bit of a bug if you want to fix it. Dunno exactly how it works though.
Basically in the first dungeon(the earth one), I went up to the crevice thing in the area and battled vs the bats, I kept retrying it and for some reason, after a loss, the game just kind of stopped working. I could still see everything but couldn't do anything. Couldn't access the menu,move etc. However i knew the game was still running since the music was still playing.

However, other than that one bug, I really did enjoy this game by the time i finished it. Did find the three knight battle in the ice cave a bit hard though.

Glad you liked it in general. I will take a look and see if I can't duplicate and figure out that bug, thanks.
Sierra Lee

Postby Darthjake » Tue May 24, 2016 1:51 am

Sierra Lee Wrote:
Darthjake Wrote:I guess I've got more goblins to kill, I'm up to around 250ish atm. : )

Uh, just to check, have you entered the castle yet? You might want to do that before killing more goblins.

Thanks for checking Sierra, yes, that was my third trip into the castle, but right after that I was wandering around in the forest and was awakened myself, and went do'h!

Needless to say the "awakening" comments suddenly made a LOT more sense and I completed the game with a renewed vigor. I probably should have waited for a full party to kill the

death monster and succubus
though....

Those

"memories"
though, it seemed like Teira was the only one to damage them, although Emantha did hit one once, and I had collected the named wand, staff and daggers for my party.
Darthjake

Postby brontanius » Tue May 24, 2016 12:11 pm

Probably a stupid question but what is the wishing well used for? The slime mentions it works across time which i thought was it saved money for new game+(basically after you beat the vizir and start over) but the money i put in didn't transfer over. Admittedly it was just 1 gold as a test but can't figure it out now if it doesn't do that. Then again, I have only beaten the vizir once.
brontanius

Postby Darthjake » Tue May 24, 2016 1:16 pm

brontanius Wrote:Probably a stupid question but what is the wishing well used for? The slime mentions it works across time which i thought was it saved money for new game+(basically after you beat the vizir and start over) but the money i put in didn't transfer over. Admittedly it was just 1 gold as a test but can't figure it out now if it doesn't do that. Then again, I have only beaten the vizir once.

Have you broken out of your old rut yet? Maybe you need to explore new areas, hint, there is a bridge up top as you venture towards the dungeon of stone, fully explore that area a few times, yes it takes a few cycles, or it took me a few. It's quite possible I can be as dense about breaking out of molds as Atreyan is about women.

Atreyan Wrote:"Look into my eyes and tell me how many goblins I've killed."
Darthjake

Postby brontanius » Tue May 24, 2016 3:00 pm

Ahh so thats what I do, kind of feel like an idiot for not doing something so simple. As well as that, I feel like a fool for thinking it transferred funds over. I thought that maybe i needed a certain amount in it after awhile and decided, not too long ago, to sit in front of the well and manually deposit 635 gold into it, 1 at a time because i wanted it to transfer over hah.
brontanius

Next

Return to Non-Flash Projects