Seeds of Chaos [Ren'py] - Version 0.2.35

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Seeds of Chaos [Ren'py] - Version 0.2.35

Postby Lord Arioch » Mon May 09, 2016 9:38 pm

Seeds of Chaos Homepage
Seeds of Chaos Patreon

Seeds of Chaos is a free to play dark fantasy eroge made in Ren'py, inspired by the worldbuilding of Berserk, Dark Souls, The Witcher and other epic fantasy series', as well as the adult games Corruption of Champions, Legend of Queen Opala, and Slavemaker. The game is set in The Six Realms, the westernmost continent in the world of Solanse. Seven years have passed since the last Demon War, and the defeat of Lord Karnas at the hands of the forces of Light ushered in a new era of peace and prosperity for all the races of the six kingdoms. Evil never lies dormant for long, however, and in the shadows new threats to the tenuous peace begin to stir.

In the first scenario, you play as Rowan, a veteran of the last Demon War. He and his fellow heroes, aided by the Goddess of Light, pursued Karnas to the heart of his stronghold, Castle Bloodmeen, and defeated him once and for all. Having hung up his sword upon returning to his peaceful home village and marrying his childhood sweetheart, Alexia, he finds his idyllic life shattered by the arrival of a beautiful, mysterious woman. Before he knows it, he is forced to serve the very darkness he fought to destroy seven years ago.

Core Features

• You are the bad guy - Unlike most games with alignment systems that allow you to be good, evil, or morally neutral, in Seeds of Chaos you play the villain. Ethical decisions will focus on just how corrupt you character is becoming, and the consequences of that change.
• Visual novel style scenes with complex, multi-branched dialogue trees inspired by Black Isle / Obsidian, Bioware, and the Witcher games that affect later meetings and events.
• A random event system that adapts to choices the player makes, and other variables (past events, stats, inventory content, reputation, affection, etc.) to shape the game as it progresses, adding replay value by providing different experiences on each playthrough.
• Multiple endings (including bad ends).
• Quality original art by a number of talented artists.
• Industry professional grade sound effects, mostly from BOOM Library.
• CG gallery, Music Room, and a Scene Replay gallery.
• If enough money is raised, rather than produce sequels, I'd like to work on expanding the world by adding alternate scenarios (new main characters with different stories), expansions (alternate event sets), and a trainer mode (similar to Slavemaker / Princess Trainer).
• There will also be a relatively safe for work version produced, with the sexually explicit content removed, for those who just want to play the game without the adult content.

The Team

Direction, Scenario Planning, Writing - Lord Arioch
Lead Artist - HikariYumiya
Spriting - Keidi Ran
Backgrounds - Tanzenkat
Concept Work - Ganassa, NLR

I'm also hoping to engage a number of additional talented artists in the erotic art community to serve as guest contributors and provide a variety of artwork for the adult scenes.

Events

The Event System is the game mechanism that determines what happens to your character during the game. Think of it as being similar to a collection of linked decks, and each turn, the player chooses which deck they would like to draw the top card from, experiencing the event that is revealed. As the game progresses, player choices, event effects, and other factors will determine which cards are added or even subtracted from the decks, shaping the game.

• There are three main spheres of event; Castle, Adventure, and Town.
  • There are four main types of event within these spheres; Benediction, Malediction, Challenge, and Judgement. Benediction events are events that have a beneficial effect, while Malediction events are detrimental. Challenge events evaluate game factors in order to determine the outcome, and can be either beneficial or detrimental. Finally, Judgement events require the player to make decisions and resolve by applying the consequences of the player’s choices.
  • All events have a tier, and these tiers range from one (I), the lowest, to five (V), the highest. The tier dictates the power of the event, for example a tier V Benediction may give you a very powerful item, while a tier V Challenge would have a high chance of failure. When the game begins, the event pools are made up of mostly low tier events, but as the game progresses, the higher tier events begin to sneak their way in. If the player hasn’t prepared well in the early stages of the game, they may start to become overwhelmed.
  • There is also a special category of event that exists outside these spheres; The Nemesis Event.

Nemesis System

The world of Solanse has many players, both individuals and factions, vying for whatever power they can get their hands on. The Nemesis System is an attempt to recreate the feeling, over a number of playthroughs, that the protagonist has many different enemies waiting in the shadows to strike.

The Nemesis is an adversary drawn from a pool of potential enemies that the player has to face repeatedly as the game progresses. Very little is known about these Nemeses; where they come from, what they represent, or why they have chosen you as a target. They all have different backgrounds, methods, motives, and masters, but are united by their relentless pursuit of the player character. The Nemesis appears to the protagonist in special Nemesis events, which represent their encounters.

• The Nemesis Event is a special type of event that exists outside the bounds of the main event spheres, and it has its own special set of rules.
  • Nemesis events represent the plots and actions of the Nemeses, and as a result can occur at any time. Nemesis events have a random chance of being encountered regardless of the event pool chosen.
  • Nemeses are unflinching in their desire to destroy you, and this is reflected in their events, which consist of hard choices, and difficult challenges with punishing consequences. Failure to do well against Nemeses will result in steep penalties, and perhaps even more devastating events being added to their pool. Succeeding, however, will force the Nemeses to suffer setbacks of their own.
  • There will also be additional ways to weaken, delay, and even defeat the Nemeses, but these will all require an investment of player turns, and have little overall outcome on the endgame. The player will have to choose whether to spend turns planning for the Nemeses and lose time that could be spent elsewhere, or risk the chance of encountering powerful Nemesis events unprepared.
  • Adding additional Nemeses allows new events, lore, locations, and new challenges to be added to the game without having to make large adjustments to the core game.

Adult Content

As Seeds of Chaos is an eroge, it will include a large amount of sexual content. Since sexuality is both a complex and disparate area, the decision was made to make the game one of general appeal in an attempt to encompass many kinks and parings. All of the following are planned for inclusion, with an option to filter out any scenes and/or events the player is not interested in seeing.

Pairings - Male / Female, Male / Male, Female / Female, Male / Futa, Female / Futa
Central kinks - Corruption, demon sex, & monster / monstergirl sex
Other kinks - BDSM, slave training, moral degeneration, furries, fembois / traps, nuns, exhibitionism, pregnancy / breeding, lactation, mindbreak, humiliation, prostitution, public use, addiction, transformation, bimboization, piercings / tattoos, squirting, bukkake, netorare / netori, & incest

Current version 0.2.35
Win / Lin /Mac

Anyway, if you have any thoughts/feelings/questions, please let me know. Always enjoy discussing the game with others. :)
Last edited by Lord Arioch on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:56 am, edited 27 times in total.
Lord Arioch

Re: Seeds of Chaos [Ren'py] - Version 0.0.03

Postby Amakuo » Tue May 10, 2016 12:53 am

The art is fantastic. The writing looks good so far. The story looks well developed. The event system sounds interesting. I'm curious to see how far this goes!

I can't help but comment on one little thing about your otherwise exemplary presentation: "The game is set in The Six Realms, the westernmost continent in the world of Solanse." Is your world not spherical, or does it rotate on a west-east axis? Because otherwise there is no such thing as a westernmost continent (unless all continents share the same landmass, which doesn't seem to be the case). This may sound incredibly pedantic, but really I just want to pull your leg a bit and encourage you to think about your world from a more comprehensive perspective. Don't forget that the farthest continent to the east is the closest neighbour to the west, and such :)

Here's a typo I caught in the demo: "as she lies their" -> "there". Also "Sliding his hand down from his waist" was probably meant to be "her waist" since there was no previous reference to his.

Good luck!
Amakuo

Postby nad destroyer » Tue May 10, 2016 2:41 am

A fantastic beginning. I like the art as well. Although the art is different enough from others I have seen that it leaves me struggling to decide which art style I prefer.

One common flaw I feel most H-games have is they come up with all this art and they don't add enough text. Adding some more text to what you have now for your pics can legnth your game without going through the effort new scenes/art.

I look foward to more public releases.
nad destroyer

Postby Lord Arioch » Tue May 10, 2016 9:09 am

@Amakuo - Thanks for that, I try to knock off all the typos, but there's always one or two of the bastards that make it through.

With the "westernmost" thing, I was thinking about a world map (like how America is always on the west on flat maps), but I suppose in a pseudo-medieval setting it would be pre-Gutenberg, so there wouldn't be any standardized maps anyway. Nothing wrong with a bit of pedantry though. :)

@ND - Next public release is out on the 21st.
Lord Arioch

Postby evildumdum » Wed May 11, 2016 7:28 am

The art looks fantastic. Interesting you're using renpy. I've been using it for a while now. Are you using much python code or sticking to the functions of renpy?
"If at first you don't succeed, try hitting it with a shoe."

Coder for Code Bunny Studio's working AOB: Monster Rising
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7304
evildumdum

Postby Lord Arioch » Wed May 11, 2016 9:55 am

So far, it has been pretty much all ren'py code, but when it branches from ADV into more using the DSE system, we've been using some Python to manage events.
Lord Arioch

Re: Seeds of Chaos [Ren'py] - Version 0.0.05

Postby muttdoggy » Sun May 22, 2016 3:19 am

Thanks for the new version! I like the art style. It's distinctly western and has the look that it's hand drawn with care. That is very very rare to see this art. And very appreciated. 8-)
muttdoggy

Postby Lord Arioch » Mon May 23, 2016 2:37 pm

Thanks mutt, there's a lot of games around these days, so I wanted to try something a little different to stand out, and people seem to like it. :)

Next release will be out on the 4th of June.
Lord Arioch

Postby UnLimiTeD » Thu May 26, 2016 2:38 pm

Seen this on some other places, and was wondering about it.
Gonna try that out soon; Though the Art looks fantastic so far. Really quality content. Well, I gotta look behind the facade, I guess.
UnLimiTeD

Postby Darthjake » Thu May 26, 2016 5:58 pm

The concept is very intriguing and the art is fantastic, I'll be eagerly watching for updates, but it seems you are off to a good start so far.

Thanks,
Darthjake

Re: Seeds of Chaos [Ren'py] - Version 0.0.16 [End of Prologu

Postby inquisitor888 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:33 pm

This game is fantastic! I hope it received the funds it needs to keep going :)

Love the story and set up so far, really looking forward to the game mechanics.
inquisitor888
Newly Registered

Re: Seeds of Chaos [Ren'py] - Version 0.1.01

Postby Commodus » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:58 am

A quick question, if you don't mind answering. How are you planning to develop the game? By that, I mean do you mean to work on it as chapters, where you complete a section of the game before focusing on the next, or more of a skeleton, where you try to get it done, with a everything generally in place and then going back and adding flesh? I personally prefer the former approach, but I could understand why you'd want to allow the player to be able to do an entire playthrough as quickly as possible.
Commodus

Postby Lord Arioch » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:08 pm

@Commodus - A bit of both really. In terms of the core concept, it'll be worked on in a chapter manner, but in this case it won't be chapters, but instead kingdoms. So first the focus will be on designing the first kingdom, Rosaria, implementing events, characters, locations, and the core story for this environment, and when that is done, development will move on to the next one. Meanwhile, other parts of the game, such as the strategy elements and the training system will have a skeleton frame (as currently seen in the backer release), before being expanded bit by bit over time.
Lord Arioch

Postby Commodus » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:31 pm

I noticed that there were six heroes and six realms. Is each hero from a different realm. It might be an interesting way to to explore the world, each hero being introduced also introducing their realm.
Commodus

Postby Sonarbliss » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:30 pm

Hi guys. If possible, can someone share a walkthrough please?
Sonarbliss
Newly Registered

Postby Commodus » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:10 am

There really isn't much need for a walkthrough yet. The public demo only lasts six days, and the events are random. Even the outcome of the events are random. For example, if you get lost in the swamp and choice to follow the will-o-wisp, I can lead around the swamp all night, lead you into quicksand, lead you immediately to an exit or lead you to treasure. And those are only the outcomes I've witnessed. While an walkthrough probably will be useful at some point, the game needs to reach a more complete state before one is really useful or necessary.
Commodus

Postby Lord Arioch » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:12 am

Commodus Wrote:I noticed that there were six heroes and six realms. Is each hero from a different realm. It might be an interesting way to to explore the world, each hero being introduced also introducing their realm.

They are indeed. :)
Lord Arioch

Re: Seeds of Chaos [Ren'py] - Version 0.2.03

Postby GoRepeat » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:04 am

Ganassa? That's a surprise. Probably my favorite adult artist out there.
Picarto LiveStream: https://picarto.tv/GoRepeat
Other Stuff: Click Here
GoRepeat

Re: Seeds of Chaos [Ren'py] - Version 0.2.07

Postby Dragon594 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:33 am

Small problem i tried playing the new version and after i got done with week one i kept getting errors and couldn't continue anymore.
Dragon594

Re: Seeds of Chaos [Ren'py] - Version 0.2.07

Postby Commodus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:04 am

Did you start a new game, or did you load a save? Right now, every new version you need to restart your game, or you'll get errors.
Commodus

Next

Return to Non-Flash Projects