[RPG Maker MV] Captivity (Porting to Unity)

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Re: [RPG Maker MV] Captivity (Pre v0.1.0 build 4.4)

Postby x3Darkie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:51 pm

Sup guys. So, work is coming along nicely. Have been doing lots of optimizations to the internal systems. BUT, I'm in need of someone to help program some JavaScript plugins to help facilitate some of the game's systems. I'm pretty good at eventing and able to make a lot of things work without the use of plugins (like the main menu, I evented that without plugins). But I'm at the point where pure eventing is no longer efficient for the development and performance of the game. One major obstacle I'm facing right now is the animated text windows. It's made up of 8 common events, and each common event holds the animation for the text windows. The problem here is that I have to insert a common event before each and every show text command. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I didn't account for how annoying, repetitive and time consuming it would be to actually insert them into every show text command. This here is a snippet of how the current system is implement.
MuchEvents.jpg

As you can see, not a very effective or even efficient way to implement an animated text windows system. So yeah, if anyone is willing to help write a few plugins that could make some of these process faster, reply to this thread, contact me via LoK pm, twitter or email at [email protected]. Just keep in mind that I won't be able to compensate for any help until my Patreon makes more money (in which case, you will then be swiftly compensated).
Last edited by x3Darkie on Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captivity - A Hentai JRPG now being ported to Unity / Captivity PreFoundation - A direct tie-in side story manga
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6124 / viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7013
x3Darkie

Postby kvier » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:15 am

I could easily write a program that would modify the JSON files that contain the Maps (and thus their events) to have the relevant invocation of the Common Events... I'm not certain whether that's "better", though.
kvier

Postby x3Darkie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:36 am

The thing is I want to do away with the whole common event before each show text command entirely. It gets pretty annoying to read and make edits as it takes up unnecessary space between each text and also make the event page literally 1.75 times longer. Imagine when the city is done and populated with chock full of NPCs that has random dialogues based on the time of day? Yeah, let that sink in. Ideally, I'd like a plugin that reads the show text command data and replace the engine's default method of drawing the windowskin with my animations (once again, I'm not a programmer, so forgive my inaccurate terminologies). It's a bit more complicated than that (if requiring 8 common events isn't obvious enough), but that's ideally how I want/imagine it to work.

P.S. There's also the non-RPG Maker choice boxes I wrote. Which is equally if not even worse than the animated text windows. But...one thing at a time.
Captivity - A Hentai JRPG now being ported to Unity / Captivity PreFoundation - A direct tie-in side story manga
x3Darkie

Postby YSlayer » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:12 am

I should mention I've been PMing with x3Darkie and have all but finished his animated windows request. Figured I should post something before someone else starts working on it.
YSlayer

Postby Gidshiri » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:44 pm

It is really sadly that game developes so slow. I understand author position, but still. I hope that one day you will give us the new content.
Gidshiri

Postby x3Darkie » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:17 pm

Gidshiri Wrote:It is really sadly that game developes so slow. I understand author position, but still. I hope that one day you will give us the new content.

You're not alone on this. It's been almost 11 months and the story and content still haven't advanced much since the initial release. I personally also feel very disappointed with how slow the game is progressing. One of the reason is because my Patreon campaign isn't making much and thus I can't work on the game full time. Though in all fairness, I haven't been pushing Patreon as hard as most other devs here. It just doesn't feel right for me to offer tons of Patreon perks with how incomplete the game currently is. I want the game to be at a state where people can expect how the gameplay, h-scenes and such is before pushing Patreon harder. Which in turn, I'm doing lots of work to set a standard for the game. I think I mentioned this before (either somewhere on this forum or on my blog), this is first and foremost a game I wanted to play. And being the perfectionist that I am who have unrealistically high standards for myself and my work, I'm not satisfied with making and playing "just another RPG Maker game." So I hope everyone understands why the game is progressing so slowly and try to be patient.

And before anyone gets offended and thinks I'm talking about them, no, I'm not referring to anyone in particular. I like variety in games. So do whatever you like with YOUR game and don't let me tell you what to do. I probably shouldn't have to explain myself, but this is the internet. People are going to take things out of context and go apeshit if you don't clarify shit.
x3Darkie

Postby Darthjake » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:45 pm

Work at your own pace, don't stress yourself, if you need inspiration, look at YummyTiger working on Aylia's story for forever, but chapter 1 will be out soon.
Darthjake

Postby moistenstein » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:51 am

Jeez, a common event for each text show? That would drive me crazy, kudos to you to sticking with it so far.
But the animation for those text boxes is really really cool. I hope you find an easier way to do it.
I love the clock too, I've never seen that before.
moistenstein

Postby YSlayer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:57 am

moistenstein Wrote:Jeez, a common event for each text show? That would drive me crazy, kudos to you to sticking with it so far.
But the animation for those text boxes is really really cool. I hope you find an easier way to do it.
I love the clock too, I've never seen that before.

I'm writing him a plugin that is almost done that stops him from needing to do that. Instead it will default to certain common events based on tags in the text and can be overwritten by another tag in the text if he so chooses. You think thats crazy you should see his main menu event, its huge. As someone that leans more on the programming side of things I tend to avoid common events whenever possible and just overwrite whatever code I want changed but its damn impressive what he has managed to do with just common events.
YSlayer

Postby x3Darkie » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Well, I can't program. So making things through events is the only way I know how to get things to work the way I want.
x3Darkie

Postby x3Darkie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:02 am

Quick update: The plugin is pretty much done. I'm working on converting all the old common events to the new plugin's command. Big thanks to YSlayer for writing the plugin for the game! It's gonna make eventing so much cleaner. Also giving a plug to his game: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6276. Check it out if you like yuri ecchi (and possibly my illustrations in the future).

Additionally, I'm aiming to put out an update by the end of November. Hopefully with more story/content instead of more revamps of existing systems.
x3Darkie

Postby YSlayer » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:35 am

Hard to say if I will continue my game since I would reasonably have to convert it to MV which means starting from scratch anyway and the project is perhaps a little too ambitious for a first project. It is however a safe bet that there will be at least some yuri in anything I make and I do intend to make something. I probably won't make an announcement about whatever I decide to make until I have a significant portion of it done (having learned from the aforementioned game) but I have several ideas fairly developed and basically just need to decide on which one I want to tackle first.

I do intend to keep helping out here and there with captivity though. I had fun working out that plugin and theres no shortage of code to modify to better help this game. Expect text transparency before long to enhance the text box animations.
YSlayer

Postby Gjbindels » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:42 pm

So just for my information how many hours long is this game at its current state.
Last time I played it, it ended after being transformed into a girl.
Gjbindels

Postby x3Darkie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Gjbindels Wrote:So just for my information how many hours long is this game at its current state.
Last time I played it, it ended after being transformed into a girl.

The game currently still ended after being genderbent. I'm aiming to get more story in in the next update though.
x3Darkie

Postby x3Darkie » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:10 pm

Sup everyone. I know I mentioned I'll try to get the update out by the end of November on my blog, but that obviously didn't happen. I've also tried to get the update out before Christmas too, because y'know, an update for a Christmas gift or whatever. But unfortunately that's not gonna happen either. Point is, if anyone's wondering, I'm not just working on the manga, but also the game as well. I haven't made a new post on my blog since I really have nothing to talk about except the story which I'm trying not to spoil. But to give a good idea of how much new content is going to be in pre-build 5; it's going to cover essentially what happens during the PreFoundation manga from the Player's point of view (which I'm going to call Chapter 1 from now), new maps, enemies, people to talk to, daily random quests and some other things. So yes. Pre-build 5's gonna have lots of new stuffs, instead of the previous "tech demos" which some people have been referring them to.

Also on that note, if anyone's wondering if the game's gonna have grinding; yes, it's going to have grinding. The game's entire premise is being stuck in an MMO. It's silly to think there's not gonna be grinding. That said, I am making design decisions to make the grind less grindy, so to speak. For example, eating certain food will give 2x exp boost for some time. So while there's going to be grinding, it hopefully won't be as bad an actual MMO.
x3Darkie

Postby x3Darkie » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:03 pm

Yes, I'm aware that people are in different timezones so it may not be Christmas for exactly everyone yet, but who cares? Merry Christmas everyone! Here's a quick portrait I rushed in like 3 hours so I forgot about the hat. But yeah, Merry Christmas! I wish everyone have a fun and safe Holiday!
x3Darkie

Postby x3Darkie » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:44 am

Anatomy's a god damn bitch. Anyway, I've (hopefully) finalized Player's design. Some details about the design choices here. Other than that, tell me what you think about the finalized design.

x3Darkie

Postby Darthjake » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:09 am

I have 0 talent at drawing that said, I like what I can see. (hint, hint)
Darthjake

Postby Gidshiri » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:28 am

It's really good drawing. Eh... if honestly, i stil have some doubts about "some" clothes on lower part of body... but... hell no. Just forget about my words and move forward. It's a good work! I really wanna see this game finished sometime in future :)
Gidshiri

Postby x3Darkie » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:26 am

Gidshiri Wrote:It's really good drawing. Eh... if honestly, i stil have some doubts about "some" clothes on lower part of body... but... hell no. Just forget about my words and move forward. It's a good work! I really wanna see this game finished sometime in future :)

I appreciate any sort of feedback. Feel free to tell me what you think is wrong with them. :3
x3Darkie

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Flash Projects