[UNITY] Hoonters - Monster Hunting RPG [Updated 12/02/2018]

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Re: [UNITY] Hoonters - Turn-Based Monster Hunting RPG

Postby Nicoffee » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:29 pm

noox Wrote:I just played the demo. Looks pretty promising. I really like the concept of the game. Are you looking for any more help? :)

Thank you! Well, if you want to help, we're always open to ideas,suggestions and feedback, if you ever find any bugs, do let us know too, that helps a lot. If you mean as in like actually helping out with the artwork, programming, music, etc...Sorry, we're not really looking for more help, at least not now. We MIGHT need help in the future though, I'll be sure to come into contact if we do!
Nicoffee

Postby noox » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:55 am

Nescafe Wrote:
noox Wrote:I just played the demo. Looks pretty promising. I really like the concept of the game. Are you looking for any more help? :)

Thank you! Well, if you want to help, we're always open to ideas,suggestions and feedback, if you ever find any bugs, do let us know too, that helps a lot. If you mean as in like actually helping out with the artwork, programming, music, etc...Sorry, we're not really looking for more help, at least not now. We MIGHT need help in the future though, I'll be sure to come into contact if we do!

Ah I see. Sure thing I'll at least give you feedback. I tried to load your game again, but the opera browser can't even run it. I used opera to play the game by the way. It sucks that every main browser will not have unity web player support. :(
noox

Postby Nicoffee » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:52 pm

noox Wrote:
Nescafe Wrote:

Ah I see. Sure thing I'll at least give you feedback. I tried to load your game again, but the opera browser can't even run it. I used opera to play the game by the way. It sucks that every main browser will not have unity web player support. :(

Unity Web Player is really sub-optimal, sadly :< We're planning to eventually switch over the Web build for a HTML5 build using the Unity GL export option, then we'll upload it to Newgrounds and that should make it A LOT more acessible! Sadly, right now, the GL export is...Pretty buggy. We already tried to export it but a lot of stuff stopped working in the game, so we're waiting until Unity actually finishes up that option properly, hopefully sometime soon.

UPDATE

So, we just released build 0.3 on Patreon. That build will be released publicly on the 30th of December, so exactly two weeks from now, along with any bug or glitch fixes we may happen upon until then. I'll update the Opening Post when the day comes.

New Features

- Working in-game shop, now instead of having all weapons and equipment available from the get go, you need to hunt for monsters, acquire their loot and sell that to buy new equipment!

- Speaking of which, monsters now drop loot! They'll drop fluids regardless of whether you win the battle or not. Though you'll get more if you actually win, alongside with a cash reward from the guild and other types of loot. Winning is definitely more profitable, but you still get a little something even if you lose.

Polishing

- You can now skip the introduction cutscene, straight to the point where you have to name your character. No more spamming the Next button.

- Performed some coding clean-ups, the game should run smoother now.

- Though the final animations aren't implemented yet, the F.Goblin scenes received a little bit of polish for now, they're still going to get more work done on them in the future, but we'll keep that for next month alongside with upgraded art for other monsters. We're working on getting the animations done and proper as soon as possible, but until we do, we'll be working to put in more detailed artwork for all of the monsters, at least until their animations are finished.

- Based on feedback we received, we removed the freeware music from the game for now, (Sound effects are still in) at least until the sound options are properly implemented. We're looking into getting someone to make music for us and it's likely going to get turned into a milestone goal, seeing as we'll be commissioning them to make the soundtrack for us.

Misc.

The build that will be available for download will be a WEBGL build. The WebGL export option recently was fully released by Unity and is working rather well! Not only it matches better with our original intentions for the game, seeing as it's HTML5 and can be played on the browser, it's also A LOT lighter. (The non-zipped EXE is 290 MB, the WebGL version is 20 MB) From this point forward, we're probably only gonna be releasing the WebGL HTML5 versions, unless of course, we find that for whatever reason, people are running into problems with it. This also means that new public builds of the game will be able to also be posted on Game Portals, such as Newgrounds and any other portals that can accept HTML5 games. Seeing as the old Web Player option was abandoned by Unity, we'll likely be abandoning it as well.

If anyone runs into any trouble with the game, let me know and I'll get to fixing it ASAP. For now, good luck and good hunting. Oh, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you.

UPDATE 2

Public December build released, you can find it in the opening post.
Nicoffee

Postby Merteee » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:22 pm

Alright. So i have downloaded it, opened the game in my browser. And all i see is a gray screen in the middle, which has in the left corner the unity symbol and in the right corner "Hoonters" with the Fullscreen-Symbol.
(Hope my english isn´t that bad.) ^^
Merteee
Newly Registered

Postby Nicoffee » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:12 am

Your english was perfect bud, no worries. And really? That's weird. Sounds like your browser was still processing the game, did you try leaving it load for a bit?

Regardless, here, have a .EXE build if it you can't manage to get the WEBGL one running. http://www.mediafire.com/download/4jy3c8eg5zyadv7/Build+Hoonters+0.3+EXE2.zip
Nicoffee

Postby VintageBass » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:56 am

OK, so an actual report on the shop itself:

I do find it very useful and easily to get things in and out, but when it comes to sell items, especially multiples, I would like a Sell All button, more so that if you really want to get rid of all the scraps, you can just hit the button and it'll be all done! Just so it'll be good to get more gold early on.

Also when browsing through, is there a way to snap the list to the very top? When I open up both the weapons and the armor tabs when going into the shop, I usually end up in the middle of the list instead of being at the very top where all the items are. Speaking of scrolling, due to me playing the HTML version, the window is fixated in a certain dimension that the longer descriptions of items will get very small and can be hard to read at times. Granted this is going to change, but it's kinda annoying wanting to read up on things and having to squint to read it all.

Otherwise I like the goblin scenes. It'll be interesting to see what you got in store for the pigman and the orc amazoness when you get to them, along with whatever else you have in stored for the game!
"Just because you can put your dick in it, it doesn't mean you can fuck it"
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby Nicoffee » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:46 pm

VintageBass Wrote:OK, so an actual report on the shop itself:

I do find it very useful and easily to get things in and out, but when it comes to sell items, especially multiples, I would like a Sell All button, more so that if you really want to get rid of all the scraps, you can just hit the button and it'll be all done! Just so it'll be good to get more gold early on.

Also when browsing through, is there a way to snap the list to the very top? When I open up both the weapons and the armor tabs when going into the shop, I usually end up in the middle of the list instead of being at the very top where all the items are. Speaking of scrolling, due to me playing the HTML version, the window is fixated in a certain dimension that the longer descriptions of items will get very small and can be hard to read at times. Granted this is going to change, but it's kinda annoying wanting to read up on things and having to squint to read it all.

Otherwise I like the goblin scenes. It'll be interesting to see what you got in store for the pigman and the orc amazoness when you get to them, along with whatever else you have in stored for the game!

1. A Sell All button would definitely be a good idea, I think I can get it in for the next release. A "Sell All Scrap" button would follow pretty much the same logic, so I can probably get it in too.

2. Oh. I knew I had forgotten to do something. The list thing is because I admittedly forgot to set a starting a starting value for the Scroll bar so it ended up at whatever value I left it at while play testing myself, shouldn't happen anymore after this. As for the font size, that thing is probably going to get fixed when we make the final Shop UI. Currently it's mostly just a bunch of Default Unity Boxes just tinted green, but I'll figure out a way to make it more comfortable to read for the next release. Either by scroll bar or by something else.

3. Thank you again, glad to hear you liked it. Technically, the scenes for the Pigman are already sketched out in-game, so it's possible to kinda tell what's gonna happen, but I'll get Pexe to work on them to put them on the same level as the other scenes for the next release, hopefully.
Nicoffee

Postby tontoman » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:40 am

Hey, just FYI but on Firefox this is the error I get (IE and Chrome just grey screens).

The browser could not allocate enough memory for the WebGL content. If you are the developer of this content, try allocating less memory to your WebGL build in the WebGL player settings.

Hope that helps. EXE works fine btw.
tontoman

Postby Nicoffee » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:48 pm

tontoman Wrote:Hey, just FYI but on Firefox this is the error I get (IE and Chrome just grey screens).

The browser could not allocate enough memory for the WebGL content. If you are the developer of this content, try allocating less memory to your WebGL build in the WebGL player settings.

Hope that helps. EXE works fine btw.

Thanks for telling me! That actually explains a lot. I was using the Default Unity memory allocation for these last builds, but it seems like some computers aren't being able to handle that. Hmm. I'm gonna have to experiment a bit with memory allocation, but then I'll upload a fix. I need to get the memory allocation just right, if I make it too low, the game will just fail to load up when the memory available isn't enough to run the scene.
Nicoffee

Postby VintageBass » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:58 pm

Well it does vary from PC to PC, I guess, since I'm using Firefox as my own default browser and I'm not getting any error messages when I use the WEBGL version of the game. I haven't done like IE (or Edge) or Chrome when testing it out, but I'm guessing they're about the same.

Also, to asking, have you installed the Unity player for those browsers? That might fix the grey box issue if they aren't showing up (then again, you'll probably get a message saying you need to install Unity for those browsers. I'm just trying to help)
"Just because you can put your dick in it, it doesn't mean you can fuck it"
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby Nicoffee » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:39 pm

Not exactly. The Unity Player was just for running games meant to be played in it, it was a third-party application that ran in your browser. The WEBGL builds uses HTML5 to run directly in someone's browser without downloading any other outside elements (Well, aside from the game assets themselves, that is)

It does vary from PC to PC and it also ran just fine on my Computer. The Memory allocation was at 256 MB for this build, I tried downgrading it to 128 but it ended up crashing due to lack of allocated memory once the game went into the monster scenes, so I'm afraid I can't really make the game allocate any less memory than it currently is, at least at the moment. One option I'd have would be to crunch all of the game's images or otherwise compress them into sprite sheets so they would take up less space, I was already doing this with the sprites and assets in the other scenes (Main Menu, town, Cutscenes, Monster Battles, etc), but it won't be possible to do so with the monster scenes because they're not finished to begin with. Maybe once the final assets for these are in, I'll be able to do some more optimizing, but it's just not a possibility right now, sadly.

The best advice or suggestion I can give right now is either just go with the .EXE or close other tabs when you run the game, since some browsers share memory space amongst various tabs...Sorry.
Nicoffee

Postby Ayeka » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:39 pm

I downloaded, uzipped and started html. And I have grey screen in middle and nothing happen. Care to explain, please?
Ayeka

Postby Nicoffee » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:53 pm

Ayeka Wrote:I downloaded, uzipped and started html. And I have grey screen in middle and nothing happen. Care to explain, please?

It's a recent problem that's been showing up with the new WEBGL build. I added an explanation for it on the opening post a while ago.

Not all PCs can run the HTML5 build, since it requires your browser to pre-allocate 256 MB worth of memory to be used exclusively with it for the game to run. If you end up with a Gray Screen, it is suggested you try closing other Tabs in your browser before attempting to open the game up or just download the .EXE build.

There's honestly not much I can do about it at the moment in regards to optimization, considering the current early state of the game. So, as above, try closing your browser and then opening up just the game, then wait for it to load before opening any other tabs OR use the .EXE build, sorry for the inconvenience.
Nicoffee

Postby tontoman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:24 am

Nescafe Wrote:
Ayeka Wrote:I downloaded, uzipped and started html. And I have grey screen in middle and nothing happen. Care to explain, please?

It's a recent problem that's been showing up with the new WEBGL build. I added an explanation for it on the opening post a while ago.

Not all PCs can run the HTML5 build, since it requires your browser to pre-allocate 256 MB worth of memory to be used exclusively with it for the game to run. If you end up with a Gray Screen, it is suggested you try closing other Tabs in your browser before attempting to open the game up or just download the .EXE build.

There's honestly not much I can do about it at the moment in regards to optimization, considering the current early state of the game. So, as above, try closing your browser and then opening up just the game, then wait for it to load before opening any other tabs OR use the .EXE build, sorry for the inconvenience.

Could it be a browser/HTLM setup? Not at all my field (although I do comps heh), but with the EXE and as you mention 256MB, my PC has plenty of mem for that. So I'm thinking maybe it's the browser setup that doesn't want to take that much mem? Or the request is not allowed?
The EXE doesn't get me near 100% mem usage, the 256MB requested wouldn't also, so don't think it should be PC 'physical' limits.
Win7/32.
Flash browser based games can suck up 1GB plus and run.

Good luck :)
tontoman

Postby Nicoffee » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:27 pm

There's a bunch of stuff that could affect this, honestly. Everything from the browser you're using, your operating system, if your computer is 32 or 64 bits...There's just too many things which could be affecting this, honestly. :< ...There's also the fact that Unity's WEBGL option has just been released, there's bound to be fixes and optimizations in the future.

Update! 22/01/2016

Build 0.4 is out on our Patreon!

New Features

- The new expedition system is implemented. When going out to hunt a monster, instead of being bumped into a bunch of random events, you'll instead be sent to the map exploration screen. You and the monster will take turns moving through the map, where you'll be able to set traps or move around at will. Entering the same tile as the monster will cause the battle to start, carrying over any debuffs or buffs acquired while traveling the map.

- All of the monster fluids, which you previously could only sell, are now implemented as consumable items which you can pick up while going out on an expedition...Speaking of which.

- The Expedition Set Up Menu in the town was completely changed up to fit the new expedition system. You can take up to eight items with you, decide which area you're going to hunt and you'll also get a little bit of information on each monster before you set off to hunt them. (http://screencast.com/t/Yy5acFBdPy Video demonstration)

For testing purposes, all consumable items are available to take into an expedition right away, as many as you're able to fit in your backpack.

Following the 14-15 day rule, it will be made public (Alongside with any bugfixes that I do until then) on the 6th of February.

Nescafe here. I'm updating the download link above to the newest public build (0.4), if there are any bugs or problems anyone runs into, be sure to let me know.

This new version is pretty much just for the new Expedition System.

Version 0.4 Details

- The new expedition system is implemented. When going out to hunt a monster, instead of being bumped into a bunch of random events, you'll instead be sent to the map exploration screen. You and the monster will take turns moving through the map, where you'll be able to set traps or move around at will. Entering the same tile as the monster will cause the battle to start, carrying over any debuffs or buffs acquired while traveling the map.

- All of the monster fluids, which you previously could only sell, are now implemented as consumable items which you can pick up while going out on an expedition...Speaking of which.

- The Expedition Set Up Menu in the town was completely changed up to fit the new expedition system. You can take up to eight items with you, decide which area you're going to hunt and you'll also get a little bit of information on each monster before you set off to hunt them.

For testing purposes, all consumable items are available to take into an expedition right away, as many as you're able to fit in your backpack.

So, as we roll into February, I feel like I should let everyone know about what will be our focus for this month. I'm gonna start doing this at the beginning of every month, I think it's a nice way to communicate with you guys about what's going on with the project, so you know what we're working on our side. For this February, we're gonna be focusing on Art. More specifically, we want to get the game hopefully on a more polished state. Enough for it to be posted on a game portal like Newgrounds. Given the size of Newgrounds, we thought it'd be proper if at least most of the art on Hoonters was properly finished before we released a build there.

So the current plan for this update will be:

- All currently implemented monsters will get the art of their scenes properly polished and colored.

- All of the art in the introduction cutscene will also receive the same treatment.

- (Possibly) Town Updates.

This means that, for this next update both me and Pexe will be shifting our focus to work in the art, which leaves me little time to do proper programming of any new features. Of course, if there are any bugs or glitches I'll get to them right away, but for the most part, February's update will be an Art focused one.

Here's a little WEBM preview I just finished yesterday. Yes, I know I need to fix the scarf, this was a first test. It actually doesn't even do that much justice to the one actually in the game which runs on 60 FPS, the WEBM captured it at like 30 or something. Just download the file and play it in your browser/video player of choice.

[ Play Quicktime file ] GoblinTest.webm [ 2.94 MiB | Viewed 2010 times ]

I don't know for sure WHEN during February we'll be finished updating the art, but I'll be sure to keep you all updated
Nicoffee

Postby Ayeka » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:56 pm

If you do update please put it in thread name as "Hooonters - Turn-Based Monster Hunting RPG update 06 february" or something like this.
Ayeka

Re: [UNITY] Hoonters - Monster Hunting RPG [Updated 06/02/20

Postby Nicoffee » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:08 pm

Fair enough. Done.
Nicoffee

Re: [UNITY] Hoonters - Monster Hunting RPG [Updated 06/02/20

Postby Myster » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:07 pm

Could be much better with animated scenes, great progress tho' :)
Myster

Re: [UNITY] Hoonters - Monster Hunting RPG [Updated 15/04/20

Postby Nicoffee » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:52 am

Nescafe here!

Boy, this took a while. But it's finally here. This update was VERY art heavy. So let's get to listing things, shall we?

New Features

- Cutscene Animated Sprites. Now, along with the art that comes in the background and in the various scenes, the introduction cutscene now also has our first "Living Portrait" for Rona. Smiling and breathing in glorious 60 FPS.
- Battle Animated Sprites. Much like the Cutscene sprites, all of the monster battles now also have animated sprites. The Goblin, Orc Amazon and Pigman all had their designs updated and will now actively move, attack and dodge around as you fight.

Polishing

- Most of the monster sex scenes (All except parts of the Orc Amazon Defeat) have all been properly polished up. As you might've seen in the previews, they're now looking all pretty and proper! They're still not final, mind you. The idea is for all of them to be animated, just like the stuff above was! But that's gonna take a fair amount of time yet, and there's other things which should take a little bit of priority over it. The reason why the Orc Amazon Defeat scene wasn't finished is actually because I'm re-working it into something else. I wasn't really satisfied with how the current scene was turning up, so I figured it'd be better if I figure out how I'm gonna do it before I properly polish it up.
- The introduction cutscene images were also polished up! Several of them just got a bit of a better paint job over them, but a few were re-drawn over. As you might notice, Annabell also received a full re-design to go along with the new cutscene art!
- Some code clean ups, as usual.

Misc.

We're up on Newgrounds now! The build seems to be running fine (For the most part), but as always, I'll keep the EXE around if anyone needs it.

Thank you so much for your support,

Sincerely, Nescafe.

Edit:
Just uploaded 0.5C, fixes an exception that occurred when using the parry dagger's skill.
Nicoffee

Re: [UNITY] Hoonters - Monster Hunting RPG [Updated 11/06/20

Postby Nicoffee » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:00 am

0.6 is now public, check the first post for the newest links to the builds.

New Features

- 2 new monsters
-- Harpy (High Evasion and High Damage but squishy.)
-- Gellusk (0 Evasion and Average Damage, but EXTREMELY tanky.)
- 2 new weapons
-- Chakram (Can debilitate enemies, lowering their dodge chance.)
-- Caestus (As long as you keep comboing, your damage keeps going up! Losing the combo puts you in a very bad situation, however, as you'll need to stack it back up.)
- 1 new armor
-- Fluid Hunter Outfit (Average Armor for Dodging or Defense, but increases your Fluid Rewards by double if worn.)

- New displays for Status Effect on the Player & Enemy on the Battle Screen (So you'll always know for how long someone is stunned, how much extra damage you currently have, etc.)
­- "Sell all" button on the shop. Should make selling loot a lot faster.
- Enemies and some items rebalanced.
- Code clean ups, you know the drill.
Nicoffee

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Flash Projects