Hunter in the Black ver1.2 [RAGS Game] + Change in Direction

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Re: Hunter in the Black ver1.2 [RAGS Game] + Change in Direc

Postby unkum » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:05 pm

Really like this game, hope to see more soon.

Any news on the next version or a sneak peek?
unkum
Newly Registered

Postby saionji11 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:34 am

Well a number of things have happened over the last month or so. While the writing for the next section has been going well enough, my frustration with the RAGS engine has brought me to a turning point. I just can't keep developing the game in a system that won't work consistently from one computer to the next.

So I've been looking for an alternative platform. The most promising one seems to be Fungus, although I'm a bit leery about using the unity engine...for some reason.

In any case, a new engine means I need to design a new interface, and a new interface will likely lead me to include graphics. As I have been unable to tempt any artists away from their own projects with promises of candy and shiny nickles, I'll be doing the graphics myself. Which is proving to be something of a challenge. Still it's good practice, and once I nail down a style and interface I like, I'll be putting together a proof of concept demo to test the viability of the 2-3 platforms I'm considering.

It's not the direction I expected to be going, but hopefully the results will be worth the extra effort.
saionji11

Postby SterlingArcher » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:11 am

just checking up on the progress of the game. this is by far a really great game that I hate to see get trashed. I hope progress of the game is going smoothly and I hope you just haven't abandoned it off to the side. you can do it your loyal fans are waiting! XD :D :D :D :D :D
SterlingArcher

Postby saionji11 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:45 am

SterlingArcher Wrote:just checking up on the progress of the game. this is by far a really great game that I hate to see get trashed. I hope progress of the game is going smoothly and I hope you just haven't abandoned it off to the side. you can do it your loyal fans are waiting! XD :D :D :D :D :D

I am absolutely still working on the game. In fact I've found a 3D artist who's helping me develop new assets for the game. I'm also spending time learning unity as it seems to be the best platform for how I want to develop the game. I've generally stepped back from posting updates though as it's not very engaging to hear about learning a new system and transferring content. :? Besides, I was putting undue pressure on myself to get things together, and it ended up conflicting with a number of other issues that managed to come down at the same time. So I wanted to take some quiet time to sort things through and try to develop a schedule that I could work with. Though I'm always happy to hear from a fan. It helps keep me motivated to keep at it! :mrgreen:

I'm hoping to be able to show some results around the end of the year. Even if it's just some proofs of concept. I really hate an unfinished story, so I will do my best to see this through.
saionji11

Postby saionji11 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:57 am

Sorry for the longer than expected break. I wanted to let people know that I am continuing work on HitB, though at a slower pace than I'd prefer. This is mostly due to my day job jumping to 55+ hours a week. Even the two week vacation I was expecting was cut to just four days.

Never the less, I am pushing forward. I have been working on constructing sets for the game, and I am about 70% finished with the Krasnogorski. I also have most of what I need for the tunnels and the grow cave. I've been able to create the main character (though he could use some improvements), as well as the rest of the supporting cast. I even been in discussion with a couple people to create the Canid, which is much more interesting now that it's been better imagined.

I've been pushing forward with the story as well, though even with me writing during work hours when I can, it's been slow going. Still things are progressing, and I should be getting some help at work soon which will free me up again to work on the game. I hope to have more news for you soon. In the meantime, here is an early sample render of the live labs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

saionji11

Postby Duplicity » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:40 am

Looking and sounding good mate.

I know all too well how work can suck time and motivation out of you. Good luck with finding a balance and don't push yourself too hard. Far better to have slow progress than a big chunk of process leading to nothing.

Love the game so far and look forward to what you do with it.
If there are any complaints, queries, bills or cheques.
Please log them by throwing a rock at the darkest corner you see.
I'll generally be there.
Duplicity
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Previous

Return to Non-Flash Projects