Newlife: female-perspective lifesim text game

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Newlife: female-perspective lifesim text game

Postby splendidostrich » Tue May 19, 2015 12:50 am

Hello everyone!

I've been making an adult game since late 2013, with public releases since the end of last year. It's called Newlife and it's a text-based lifesim game written in Java.

Originally it was purely gender-bender themed – you started as a man and were transformed into a woman early on. I've recently added a female start option though so you can be a woman right from the beginning now.

You can download the game and get updates on progress at the development blog. I've also written a guide on how to get started.

Well, here's some screenshots, so you can marvel at the glorious grey background. Businesslike and sexy!

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

First of all, the character creation screen. If you choose the male start then you get a similar screen to create your male character, and then the female creation screen is populated based on your male persona.

And more character creation. All these traits have in-game effects, although some of them will be getting more content in the future too. The background tab isn't as interesting as the other two, so it can remain a treat for when you play the game.

Here's the clothing screen, where I put together outfits based on clothes I've bought.

And the week planner, where I can put my party outfit to the test by going clubbing

Here some guy has bought me drinks and we're dancing together

After that he kindly walked me home and we're hanging out together in an entirely innocent and platonic way. Don't look at me like that! Nothing happened, honest!

Well, have a go and let me know what you think. I hope you all have fun with it :)
splendidostrich

Re: Newlife: female-perspective lifesim text game

Postby Bagashi » Tue May 19, 2015 11:58 pm

"having a go" right now, soon a reply.

Still, seems promising enough.
Bagashi

Postby Bagashi » Wed May 20, 2015 2:06 am

Well

After two hours of playing, i really liked it.

I particularily love and admire the clear committment of the author for this game.

The buttons are very useful and descriptuve, allowing the player to always have an eye of the situation in every place/scenario. Scenes are smooth, nothing is left around randomly. Mechanics are easy to learn in few minutes.

And really, really REALLY an applause for the wording and organization of every scene and its choices (especially while at the club or in the bed/every sex scene. Many choices, each with its description.

Things that made me "wait a sec"

I download an experimental female-sided sim-game. A news. Open it... male sliders. uhm... ooookay (?)
then, while i create a hunk with the usual minutes... LOTSA minutes of choosing perks...

i necame a woman with total different choices.

Nothing bad huh, just saying my opinion... and it is... confusing to make decisions now and then everything changes. Even if the lore is very convincing, it is not (to me heretic and ignorant pleb) better to directly create a female character in order to better handle game mechanics and stats?

Simply as already in story, the anti-immigrant party won... instead of changing sex and being vivisectioned, we could just be presented as immigrants...

CONCLUSIONS

Wow

You all, just download it.

And you... jeep going. You've gained a fan ;)
Bagashi

Postby kvier » Wed May 20, 2015 2:07 am

One playthrough seemed fun... is there any mechanic yet for receiving oral sex? It seemed conspicuously absent.
And I found the clothes shopping UI to be painful, so much so that once I had gathered one "good enough" set of clothes for each task I stayed far away. (But given that the game is bounded to only 200-ish total moves...)
It seems to be difficult to manage stress effectively until you've bought a bunch of things for your apartment.

A little wishlist: some way of optionally changing the UI to be dark-on-light would be nice. and maybe I want some kind of endless mode? not certain, it might just ruin things.

Also, there was one sex scene where, despite playing from a female-start, it talked about how you'd used to be male... ugh, I need to find it again for that to be useful.
kvier

Postby Bagashi » Wed May 20, 2015 12:40 pm

After having played it today again, i see the female-start. So... even more "like".

The only thing that is "meh" is the short span of actual gameplay, and even if there is the "keep this life" option, is unpleasant to have just 52 weeks.

If only it gets unlimited...
Bagashi

Postby splendidostrich » Thu May 21, 2015 12:37 am

Hello everyone. Thanks for playing :)

I put a new version out yesterday, so if you're playing 0.3.1 then head back to the blog and download the update.

Bagashi Wrote:After two hours of playing, i really liked it.

I particularily love and admire the clear committment of the author for this game.

The buttons are very useful and descriptuve, allowing the player to always have an eye of the situation in every place/scenario. Scenes are smooth, nothing is left around randomly. Mechanics are easy to learn in few minutes.

And really, really REALLY an applause for the wording and organization of every scene and its choices (especially while at the club or in the bed/every sex scene. Many choices, each with its description.

Thanks you! It always makes me feel good to hear that people are enhjying the game :)

Bagashi Wrote:Simply as already in story, the anti-immigrant party won... instead of changing sex and being vivisectioned, we could just be presented as immigrants...

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll keep it as is. The story hints that the pc is the player a few years in the future, and the player could be British so I don't want to assume they're an immigrant.

I went with the threat of vivisection as the consequence for discovery because I wanted a really serious one so the player would never feel that it would make sense for their character to simply go public. Don't worry though – the this never actually happens in the game and I certainly have no intention of writing that sort of gruesome scene!

kvier Wrote:One playthrough seemed fun... is there any mechanic yet for receiving oral sex? It seemed conspicuously absent.

Hasn't been implemented yet. I doubt this will get added in the next month or so, but I imagine it'll probably go in sometime this year.

kvier Wrote:And I found the clothes shopping UI to be painful, so much so that once I had gathered one "good enough" set of clothes for each task I stayed far away.

I'd ask for suggestions, but UI work is both my least favourite part of coding and the part I'm worst at – as you've no doubt noticed. Feel free to make suggestions, but I can't promise to implement them!

kvier Wrote:It seems to be difficult to manage stress effectively until you've bought a bunch of things for your apartment.

Balance will be getting serious overhauls late in development when all the major game systems are in.
Stress is supposed to be tricky though. In particular, it's intentional that a character without the relaxed trait will generally see her stress increase even if she uses all three actions to relax.
That's because the most effective way of losing stress is to go out, get drunk, and let things happen with a bloke. My main motivation for adding stress was to serve as a justification for shy, innocent, good-girl types to end up in sexy situations.

Still, I agree that stress tends to be a bit too hard at the moment. Don't worry – it will be balanced at some point!

kvier Wrote:A little wishlist: some way of optionally changing the UI to be dark-on-light would be nice. and maybe I want some kind of endless mode? not certain, it might just ruin things.

Haha, I refer you to my earlier comment about the UI!
I've had some requests to make it less grey, but after a load of recent UI updates I'll be focusing on content for the next month or two.
What do you mean by dark-on-light by the way? Did you mean light-on-dark? White writing on a black screen like I often see for Twine games?

As for endless mode, I do intend to add something along those lines at some point.
I did recently add end-date customisation to the patron version's cheat options after a special request from one of my supporters, but I don't think the main game's ready for that sort of thing yet. There needs to be more content and especially more late-game content.

kvier Wrote:Also, there was one sex scene where, despite playing from a female-start, it talked about how you'd used to be male... ugh, I need to find it again for that to be useful.

Bug reports are always welcome :)
If you're on 0.3.1 though, then a bunch of that sort of thing got fixed in the next version, so it might be sorted already.

Bagashi Wrote:The only thing that is "meh" is the short span of actual gameplay, and even if there is the "keep this life" option, is unpleasant to have just 52 weeks.

If only it gets unlimited...

Haha, you know it's only quite recent it was increased to 52 weeks – for a long while it was at 26!

The final version will definitely have longer play – my original idea was to have the “end” at 52 weeks but then let the player keep on for another two years after that if they didn't go back to their old life. Since then, I think I've swayed more to just allowing indefinite play after the endgame sequence.
However, the game isn't ready for that yet in my opinion. Some planned updates will include late-game content like marriage, content for advanced jobs and moving to a more expensive home. Once those sort of changes are in I'll have another think about it.
splendidostrich

Postby sinhunter » Thu May 21, 2015 1:17 am

A interesting game so far but will there be consequences for having unprotected sex and meeting the wrong people in this game?

Also, a unlimited mode after completing the 52 weeks would be ideal for this type of game. That would allow people to explore more of this game without having the start over and lose their progress.

You can even add some additional events that happen in Unlimited mode for the extra experience.
sinhunter

Postby kvier » Thu May 21, 2015 4:11 am

splendidostrich Wrote:
kvier Wrote:And I found the clothes shopping UI to be painful, so much so that once I had gathered one "good enough" set of clothes for each task I stayed far away.
I'd ask for suggestions, but UI work is both my least favourite part of coding and the part I'm worst at – as you've no doubt noticed. Feel free to make suggestions, but I can't promise to implement them!
Hm. Let me see how well I can express what I found frustrating...
- It was hard to remember what things I already had, and what outfits I could make from them (I tended to forget information from the "what's in my wardrobe" tab when I started browsing what was available again)
- It was too easy to spend money on an article of clothing and then discover that I didn't have enough to buy the other parts needed to make the outfit I was shopping for.

So, the two simplest things I can think of:
- for the former, add something that would say "this article plus what's in your wardrobe, can make the following Outfit Types and they will have the following (ranges of?) Outfit Stats"
- for the latter, use a multi-selector to allow you to buy multiple items at once.

Combining the two ... uh, maybe that's straightforward?

That's because the most effective way of losing stress is to go out, get drunk, and let things happen with a bloke. My main motivation for adding stress was to serve as a justification for shy, innocent, good-girl types to end up in sexy situations.
Somehow I obliviously missed that getting laid reduced stress...

What do you mean by dark-on-light by the way? Did you mean light-on-dark? White writing on a black screen like I often see for Twine games?
Yessssssssssss that.... I can type what I meant to type, promise <_<
kvier

Postby Bagashi » Thu May 21, 2015 12:39 pm

Few thing i've noticed:

-We do nothing when someone cums in us even if we say to pull out. Possibly impregnating us. -> it would be normal and fair to have a little of...bad words for him. To have a slap in his face, bad words and other would be fair...

-No matter how drunk we are, nobody will do something -> Sure. Is a bad thing. But is a risk. If we drink so much alcool, we cannot decide anymore, and (example) be dragged in the bathrooms and "forced" or moved in a dark place as well.

-Same thing for returning home, but the thing of the "give the purse" -> risks are everywhere (sadly) but it's realistic and "thrilling" for gameplay as is an added difficulty.

Of course, is just an idea o' mine...
Bagashi

Postby bestusernameEVER » Thu May 21, 2015 5:17 pm

I wonder, what KIND of sex scenes do you encounter in this game? I like to know that before downloading, couldn't find it with a quick search.
bestusernameEVER

Postby Bagashi » Thu May 21, 2015 5:23 pm

...nothing explodes to download it. In worst case you download 1.5 megabyte (10 seconds, maybe?). Also... there are so many that is easier to actually play it.

Anyway

Against a wall, missionary, cowgirl, blowjob/titjob/handjob-on knees and while on bed, handjob while on theatre, sex in shower, back halleys, club bathroom... i guess there are more. Cannot remember
Bagashi

Postby kvier » Fri May 22, 2015 2:20 am

Tangentially related to the "even if we say to pull out" thing ... in the school of "bug or depressing realism?": the sex scene stops the moment the guy cums. Doesn't matter how close you are. (And there's not even an option to rub one out afterwards)
kvier

Postby Bagashi » Fri May 22, 2015 9:35 am

kvier Wrote:Tangentially related to the "even if we say to pull out" thing ... in the school of "bug or depressing realism?": the sex scene stops the moment the guy cums. Doesn't matter how close you are. (And there's not even an option to rub one out afterwards)

Indeed.

It is strange that either if he cums inside, or covers you "you put your clothes on" and return in the living room staring at eachother waiting for something.

If had sex at the wall, at least collapse on the rug -> snuggle -> bed sleep

or if sex on bed -> be tired and sleep.

if consumed intercourse at evening, maybe put a "round two" in late evening. THEN sleep.
Bagashi

Postby Bagashi » Fri May 22, 2015 7:45 pm

Not to pester this with my thoughts but...

May i suggest an overhaul of "i've never thought of?"

I mean, more thoughts of surprise, curiosity, shame, confusion, anger from our "male-brain-into-female-body".

For a man that still thinks as such,

-to kiss a man,
-to blowjob
-to... savour cum
-to be deflowered of vaginal verginity

And other...surely will cause a storm of ideas, emotions, feelings, thoughts and considerations about it.

As well as, just saying <<I'never thought about how it would feel to "insert action">>

or again example <<this is how a woman thinks/feels when a man touche/look/grope/caress her>>

More mental depth, as per say.
Bagashi

Postby splendidostrich » Sat May 23, 2015 12:45 am

Hello everyone. Thanks for your comments.

I sometimes feel like I spend most of my forum time saying no to people, so I should probably explain. I aim to make Newlife a very replayable game where your traits and choices have a real impact. The downside of that complexity is that it makes it slow to add content because a lot of different possibilities need to be taken into account.
My original plan was to finish the game sometime between 2017 and 2019, but the earlier part of that range is very optimistic and I suspect it may be a struggle to finish even by 2019. After all, I've been working on the game for about eighteen months now, and it isn't even close to halfway done.

That's also my estimate just for what I consider core content. That means that if I want to actually finish the game then I need to reject a lot of the change requests & suggestions that I get, not because they're necessarily bad ideas, but just to keep the development time down.

Of course I do sometimes make changes suggested by players – if you look at the changelog then you'll see plenty of people credited for suggestions. However, for every one I implement, there's a bunch that I reject, and the bigger a change is, the less likely I am to put it in the game.

So, by all means make suggestions. I do read them all and I enjoy seeing people's feedback, but I hope you won't be offended when I say no to most of them!

sinhunter Wrote:A interesting game so far but will there be consequences for having unprotected sex and meeting the wrong people in this game?

Yes. Those are already in the game. You can get pregnant and if you hook up with a selfish guy then he might just take advantage of you. There's no stds or rape though – those are much too dark in a real-life setting for the sort of game I envisage Newlife to be.

kvier Wrote:Hm. Let me see how well I can express what I found frustrating...
- It was hard to remember what things I already had, and what outfits I could make from them (I tended to forget information from the "what's in my wardrobe" tab when I started browsing what was available again)
- It was too easy to spend money on an article of clothing and then discover that I didn't have enough to buy the other parts needed to make the outfit I was shopping for.

So, the two simplest things I can think of:
- for the former, add something that would say "this article plus what's in your wardrobe, can make the following Outfit Types and they will have the following (ranges of?) Outfit Stats"
- for the latter, use a multi-selector to allow you to buy multiple items at once.

Combining the two ... uh, maybe that's straightforward?

Hi, thanks for the suggestions.
For your second issue, I have an outstanding entry on my todo list which is showing item prices directly in the list, and I think that might help with that.
For the first, I'd rather not have the prediction system because it'd be tricky to implement given how clothing is handled in the code and I think the output would tend to be fairly uninformative for a lot of clothing items.
One idea might be to remove the shop/wardrobe radio buttons and show both lists at the same time. That'd also be a fairly extensive change though.
The last major UI update was quite recent (0.3.1), so I'll probably hold off a month or two before the next one.

Bagashi Wrote:Few thing i've noticed:
-We do nothing when someone cums in us even if we say to pull out. Possibly impregnating us. -> it would be normal and fair to have a little of...bad words for him. To have a slap in his face, bad words and other would be fair...

Well, there's the “you are angry and upset” line. I had a look over the code, thinking I might add some more for high-stress, but I think it's the sort of change that'd be likely to cause problems. It can't easily go in the date scene because that doesn't get enough information, and putting it in the sex scene would mean it might show up anytime the character has sex – even if it doesn't make sense for her to be rude to her partner, such as when she's trying to butter up her boss.

Bagashi Wrote:-No matter how drunk we are, nobody will do something -> Sure. Is a bad thing. But is a risk. If we drink so much alcool, we cannot decide anymore, and (example) be dragged in the bathrooms and "forced" or moved in a dark place as well.

I don't plan to ever have rape in the game. Alcohol does affect your willpower checks, but I deliberately set its influence to a fairly low level to avoid the “getting drunk means rape” situation.
The real-life setting makes rape content especially dark, and that simply isn't the sort of game I envisage Newlife to be.

bestusernameEVER Wrote:I wonder, what KIND of sex scenes do you encounter in this game? I like to know that before downloading, couldn't find it with a quick search.

Bagashi already replied with a summary of the sort of content that's in the game.

To clarify though – there is no illegal content (under UK law, which is generally stricter than the US) and there never will be. So, if that's something you were worrying about before downloading, then you can relax!

kvier Wrote:Tangentially related to the "even if we say to pull out" thing ... in the school of "bug or depressing realism?": the sex scene stops the moment the guy cums. Doesn't matter how close you are. (And there's not even an option to rub one out afterwards)

Yup. There is a sex update planned at some point where I'll let guys deliberately hold off on coming until you've had an orgasm, although of course that'll be based on their personality.

Bagashi Wrote:It is strange that either if he cums inside, or covers you "you put your clothes on" and return in the living room staring at eachother waiting for something.

If had sex at the wall, at least collapse on the rug -> snuggle -> bed sleep

or if sex on bed -> be tired and sleep.

if consumed intercourse at evening, maybe put a "round two" in late evening. THEN sleep.

I don't plan to change how it works at the moment. In earlier versions things used to work as you suggest, with sex meaning the end of the date and leading into either him leaving or the two of you falling asleep together.
That caused some problems though, for example it was really hard to get a boyfriend because it relied on him asking you before you had sex.
If you want to have sex as part of a night's sleep, that can happen if you invite him to sleep over late in the date and you haven't had sex yet.

Bagashi Wrote:May i suggest an overhaul of "i've never thought of?"

I mean, more thoughts of surprise, curiosity, shame, confusion, anger from our "male-brain-into-female-body".

For a man that still thinks as such,

-to kiss a man,
-to blowjob
-to... savour cum
-to be deflowered of vaginal verginity

And other...surely will cause a storm of ideas, emotions, feelings, thoughts and considerations about it.

As well as, just saying <<I'never thought about how it would feel to "insert action">>

or again example <<this is how a woman thinks/feels when a man touche/look/grope/caress her>>

More mental depth, as per say.

Hi, I agree that this sort of thing sounds interesting to put in.
One of the major updates will revolve around femininity and the pc's reaction to becoming a woman. I'll be adding in a lot more content like this when I make that change, and some of the things you suggest will definitely go in there.
I hadn't actually considered having a “first kiss” thing, but it's a good idea that could work as a bit of a romantic moment for the more innocent female-start characters too. I'll put a note on the todo list to put that in when I start on the femininity update.

When I mention major updates, I mean ones like 0.3, 0.4 and so on – ones that take a few months. The smaller releases that go out every few weeks build up to them.
The current major update I'm working on at the moment is “friendship”, which won a patron vote back in February. That's 0.4 which means I'll update the version number to 0.4 when it's finished.
If you're curious about the long-term changes that are planned to Newlife, then you might find this post interesting. That's the list of candidates for that vote, and should give you an idea of the sort of thing that will be in the final version.
splendidostrich

Postby Wonderful Hawk » Sat May 23, 2015 1:44 am

Well, this looks interesting! I'm having trouble figuring out how to lower my stress but that's probably because I'm stupid, other than that quite enjoying it. Always happy when a female-perspective game isn't all about being super-submissive, doesn't seem to happen all that much. One question, any intention of adding lesbianisms? I don't see why I should only have to get with men, after all. Lesbians are a thing that exist. Anyways, quite enjoying it, keep up the good work and all that!
Wonderful Hawk

Postby graham99 » Sat May 23, 2015 4:46 pm

I love it and lookin forward to doggy scenes ^.^
graham99

Postby Bagashi » Mon May 25, 2015 12:59 am

Wonderful Hawk Wrote:Well, this looks interesting! I'm having trouble figuring out how to lower my stress but that's probably because I'm stupid,

Lowering your stress is easy: just "shop for your flat ". Those items decreases it.

_________

Wow

A major update concerning emotioms and psychological depth is a most welcomed news.

Can't wait for doggy-update as well ;)
Bagashi

Postby splendidostrich » Tue May 26, 2015 3:46 am

Wonderful Hawk Wrote:Well, this looks interesting! I'm having trouble figuring out how to lower my stress but that's probably because I'm stupid, other than that quite enjoying it. Always happy when a female-perspective game isn't all about being super-submissive, doesn't seem to happen all that much. One question, any intention of adding lesbianisms? I don't see why I should only have to get with men, after all. Lesbians are a thing that exist. Anyways, quite enjoying it, keep up the good work and all that!

First of all, let me congratulate you on your excellent username. I think we can all agree that positive adjective + type of bird is the best online handle.

Stress reduction is a bit hard at the moment, but I'm delaying serious rebalancing work until more game mechanics are finished. The ambitious trait in particular makes it very hard to keep stress down.
As Bagashi said, you can buy items for your flat that improve the effect of the relaxation actions. The best way to reduce stress though, is by getting drunk and having great sex with at least one orgasm. This isn't something I recommend in real life, but pretty much the whole point of the stress mechanic is to give “good girls” an excuse to go out, get drunk, and get into compromising situations with men.

Lesbian content is slated to go in eventually, but it will probably be a while. Certainly the 0.4 friendship update will need to be finished first.
The closest you can get at the moment is a special dance scene that sometimes happens when you dance on your own at a club – that's one I added as part of the patreon event lottery, so if you enjoy it then you owe your thanks to the anonymous supporter who requested it!

graham99 Wrote:I love it and lookin forward to doggy scenes ^.^

Thanks :) I was doing some work on that one today in fact. It won't be ready for the next version, but I'm getting there bit by bit.

Bagashi Wrote:A major update concerning emotioms and psychological depth is a most welcomed news.

Can't wait for doggy-update as well ;)

Well, that shouldn't be too far off now. The next release will be an improvement to the new friend content along with a bunch of small bug fixes, but doggy probably won't be too long away once that's done.
splendidostrich

Postby Niara » Tue May 26, 2015 9:48 am

Let me preface this by saying some other stuff first:

I love this game. It's beautifully executed, and conceptually engaging. I recently signed on to support you (I use my real name over on Patron), and I intend to keep doing so, because I'm eager to see the game refine and improve and grow more. While I'm not big on gender-bend, I'm a female player, and I like to play female characters, so that option is a big positive for me. Some of the text in some places still reads oddly if you were always a girl for the outset, but most of the big ones have been ironed out. If I come across any that really jump out at me in future plays, I'll being putting together a fine-tooth report, if you'd like (other things too, like positioning description weirdness; most notably things that don't make sense the way they're describe, if you're on top at the time - Being on top with a pick-up that you're unsure about is safer, generally, since other than trying to pull them aside, they can't normally remove your undies from that pose if you don't want to let them).

The concept of risk is a massive, massive turn on for me, and I do find the degradation of will-power as a concept really enticing and appealing; I'd be fibbing if I tried to claim I'd never been there myself. I also really enjoy that as a form of life sim, you can actually just meet a guy, settle down, and create a beautifully loving life with him... unusual for that to be an option in a game like this. I'm bi, and I'm looking forward to one day being able to hook up with ladies as well, but all things in their time... it'd be really cool if a properly and healthily communicated poly relationship was also an option, but if it ever were, I'd imagine that's something that would be along way off indeed.

I kinda dislike that "go out and get drunk" is supposed to be the best way to relieve stress. I personally find that a bit on the nose, really; I'm very glad that -doing- that is an option, of course... but it shouldn't be a necessary part of keeping stress down. Other activities for that time slot would be appreciated. Your dates can take you to movies, or smut movies, or cocktail lounges, gallery shows, LAN parties (I've totally gone in for a quickie at a LAN party before, and gone right back to playing afterwards) etc... Why not go out to the sorts of places that your character personally -enjoys-, and try to meet people at those venues?

Now, you've said very clearly and firmly that you have no intention of including anything that is non-con or rape; you don't want the game to go that direction, and that's completely fine! Sexual deception, force, reluctance, blackmail and non-con are personally some of my biggest turn ons, BUT, I'm also the kind of player who understands that those particular topics really kind of do need to stay in games specifically geared for them, so that others can avoid them if they want to. That's cool.

This is where what I say gets a touch less positive: By extension that's got to mean that you currently believe that there's no rape or non-consent in your game as it stands at the moment. Much as I personally enjoy that kind of content in a fictional setting, we're going to have to severely disagree there. There's a heck of a lot of situations that are very much rape in the game as is; not a worry for me, but I'd be rather concerned if you don't think they are.

-Niara
Niara

Next

Return to Non-Flash Projects