[HTML] 7th Realm RPG (Abandoned)

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Whitch Interface do you prefer?

Original Interface
29%
Redesigned Interface
71%

Total votes : 17

[HTML] 7th Realm RPG (Abandoned)

Postby Elerneron » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:02 pm

Okay, based on the feedback here and on other forums, I have two interface styles for you folks to choose between. The first is basically just me taking the original design as far as I think that I can. The second is a total redesign that I think will be a good compromise for players with high screen resolutions and those with relatively low screen resolutions. If your resolution is below 1024 x 768 I can't really help you . . . maybe it's time for a new computer.

Please try both interfaces and give me your opinion on them.

Original Interface:

Redesigned Interface:
Last edited by Elerneron on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Elerneron

Re: [HTML] 7th Realm RPG

Postby Ryhonn » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:47 pm

1: Resolution
1920:1080
2: Browser
Internet Explorer 11.0.13
3: unclipped John Does
4: clipped John Doe
up to the N from Neutral
6: unclipped Goblin Boys
7: Design
it Looks good to me
9: Errors
None i can see
11: Scrolling is fine with me, but if possible, add a reminder that there are more Party members

Did i Forget anything?
Ryhonn

Postby Elerneron » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:27 pm

Ryhonn Wrote:11: Scrolling is fine with me, but if possible, add a reminder that there are more Party members

Do you feel that the scrollbar only being present if there are more characters than fit on the screen qualifies? That is how it is currently set up.
Elerneron

Postby Bork42 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:37 am

Okay here goes:

1) Screen Resolution:
1920 x 1080

2) Browser Used:
Opera 12.17

3) How many unclipped John Does do you see?
Four

4) If you see 3 or more John Does, about how much of the clipped John Doe is left unclipped?
It is clipped just before the letter 'J' in John

5) How many unclipped Goblin Boys do you see?
Seven

6) Is there anything uncomfortable or unwieldy about the design?
Yes

7) If yes, what elements of the Interface are uncomfortable or unwieldy and why?
There is a massive amount of information presented on screen, and thus it looks very 'busy'. I offer the following suggestions:
A: Reduce unnecessary animation, particularly around the character portraits/info (as I presume that's where users will be looking most of the time).
B: You've quite helpfully color-coded all of the many, many status bars. Thus, in turn, you should remove as many colors as you can from things that are not related to these statuses. Here in particular I'm thinking of the 'wiring' around the character portraits.
C: With so many status bars/effects/variables/whatever, I very strongly recommend tooltips for everything you can because remembering what each icon means will take quite a lot of practice.

8) Does the User Interface look “right” in your browser? (Use the provided screenshot to compare.)
Yes

9) If you answered no above, please provide a screenshot.
N/A

10) Would you rather have the ability to have a larger party (of characters) if it meant that you would have to scroll to see them all, or would you rather have a smaller party that all fit on the screen?
Constantly scrolling back and forth is a tremendous irritance, so I would prefer a smaller party if necessary.
Bork42
Newly Registered

Postby xeragoth » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:22 am

1) Screen Resolution:
1366 x 768

2) Browser Used:
Google Chrome

4) If you see 3 or more John Does, about how much of the clipped John Doe is left unclipped?
the first J

6 but the last one is clipped in the very end

it doesn't look bad but cant say what anything do so i may need to try that first to see if it is comfortable

7) If yes, what elements of the Interface are uncomfortable or unwieldy and why?
Not Applicable.

8) Does the User Interface look “right” in your browser? (Use the provided screenshot to compare.)
besides the clipping yes everything looks the same

10) Would you rather have the ability to have a larger party (of characters) if it meant that you would have to scroll to see them all, or would you rather have a smaller party that all fit on the screen?
I’m fine with scrolling to have a large party.
xeragoth

Postby Elerneron » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:56 pm

Okay, based on the feedback that I received here, and at two other forums I've got a new version for evaluation. I have removed a LOT of the animated elements. Now the only animation is on the Needs Display. I changed the font on the Alignment Display, and I have resized the Options Window to make more room for characters. I figured people would rather scroll through options if necessary rather than characters.

I'm hoping that everyone can fit 6 John Does on their screen. For those who cannot, Toggle on the Sliding Meters setting under the Needs Display on the left to see if that work-around works for you. Basically it will hide the meters until you hover over a particular character. I have only set it up for the PCs, not the NPCs; but I'll port it over if it's a functional element for folks.

For those who don't want to go all the way up to the OP, I'll put up the download link once again . . .

Game Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/895ef4xjwz6oj6d/7th_Realm.zip?dl=0
Elerneron

Postby Bork42 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:30 pm

I like all of the changes you've made!

I love the sliding stats. It would be awesome if you could pin or unpin the stats bars open with a button press, so you could view two or three at a time.
Bork42
Newly Registered

Postby xeragoth » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:50 pm

ok with sliding stats i can see all john
xeragoth

Postby futuredark » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:37 am

1) Screen Resolution:
1920x1080
2) Browser Used:
Firefox 33.0.2
No clipped John Does
Seems pretty good overall, but a bit difficult to tell without some functional content. As a side-note, my computer is hooked up to a 40" TV and I've used ctrl+mouse wheel to zoom out farther than is probably comfortable for people on an average-sized screen.
N/A
Yes.
Can't say for certain until I know what having a party in the game feels like, but I don't think I'd mind scrolling to accommodate a larger party.
futuredark
Newly Registered

Postby Dorant » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:46 am

For anyone willing, please download the game and answer the following. (Examples provided reflect my answers to my own questions).
1) Screen Resolution:
Example: 1920x1080
2) Browser Used:
Example: Chrome 38.0.2125.111
3) How many unclipped John Does do you see? 6
Don't see any extra parts of a John Doe
Example: 7 (have room for at least 2 more)
Yes
With 9 different bars (and room for 2 more) I'm worried that it'd be difficult to keep track of all the resources even with color coding
Yes.
Either would be fine.
Dorant
Newly Registered

Postby racso44 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:51 pm

1) Screen Resolution:
1920x1080
2) Browser Used:
Chrome version 38
6 John Does
None of 'em are clipped
8 when there are no stats and 6 when I turn the stats on, I can barely make out half a seventh goblin
Yes
It's way too busy, I find my eyes dotting around trying to process all the information that's going on at the screen. It would be nice if there was a way to make it less in your face or just more accessible
Yes.
I prefer not having to scroll through my party members as it makes it harder to manage the bars when you can't actually see them, I also tend to forget them. No a game breaker for me, just my two cents.
racso44

Postby Elerneron » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:11 pm

I made a redesigned Interface, updated OP, and added a poll. Please Vote and feel free to give me your opinion on the designs as a reply.

Edit: Another thing that I'd like to know from everyone:

As far as character creation is concerned, do you prefer an immersive system, which makes character creation a part of the story, or a clinical system, which gets character creation out of the way quickly so you can get to playing? If you prefer an immersive system, how much immersion do you like to see?
Elerneron

Postby UnLimiTeD » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:07 am

The original Interface showed more John Does (Got 6), but the redesigned Interface seems easier to handle, as it's intuitive to mouse over the sides and individually scroll them, if the system allows. I obviously can't speak for different resulutions, I use Full HD like most people are probably doing.

Character Creation.... It's nice to have an immersive system, but for everything that results in hard stats, most folks will probably min/max anyways.
If there were stats that refer to a characters personality, having an immersive system is obviously good as numbers may be generally too abstract.
A middleground would be an immersive system, and then you can screw around with the outcome. Disadvantage is it's double the work for you.
You could compromise by making the characters history immersive, with maybe one or two in-game reactions to that background (no effect later as to not create extra work), and then go the route of "How did you choose to train for the journey ahead", or some such, creating a middle ground where the immersive part is not just numbers, and the raw numbers are fluffed, but directly picked.
UnLimiTeD

Postby Elerneron » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:57 pm

Judging by the feedback I'm getting from the four forums where I'm posting about the game, there seems to be some strong feelings on all sides for the Interface designs. I am assuming that most of this is due to differences in screen resolution and / or aspect ratio, though I'm sure some of it boils down to simple preference. I have therefore decided that it would most likely be worth the extra work to make the Interface customizable.

Basically, I'll be adding a settings menu (which was going in eventually anyway). In it you will be able to choose from a set of possible configurations that best fits your monitor and play style. This may take me a while to set up, but it seems to be the best alternative given the strength of people's feelings about the different designs.

I'm trying to decide how much control the player needs over the interface placement balanced against the work it will take to implement the design. I'm shooting for the ability to place any of the three elements (Base UI, Party, and NPCs) on any of the four sides of the monitor that one wishes with the content and options windows filling the remaining space.

Along with this I will try to add style options for the Party and NPCs elements, allowing for full fixed, condensed slide-out (like in the Party element of the original design) or condensed slide-over (like in the condensed Party element of the redesign). I may limit slide-out to horizontal layouts and slide-over to vertical layouts due to technical difficulty in implementing them in the opposite format however. If I do decide to limit them, I will put a button on the elements to easily toggle between fixed and sliding.
Elerneron

Postby yaoiuser13 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:04 pm

how do i download this ?each time i try to download it says it has been removed
yaoiuser13
Newly Registered

Postby Borkenone » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:23 pm

>yaoiuser13
the question we should be asking is whether or not this project is still alive.
Borkenone

Re: [HTML] 7th Realm RPG (Abandoned)

Postby Elerneron » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:52 pm

My apologies. This is a dead project that I will not be picking back up . . . ever. If a moderator want's to lock the thread feel free to do so.
Elerneron

Return to Non-Flash Projects