Shield High [Fresh Start]

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Re: Shield High [RAGS game]

Postby AllenAndArth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:45 pm

BlueLight Wrote:-_- this is why people don't allow me to post! They get off topic and i'm the one that gets all the blame!
Star trek is a sci fi show that's always been about exploring the better side of humanity in the feature. Star trek has always asked tough questions and been more than willing to shock it's viewers and the say "it's okay, this is the future; you might be bigots now but in the future everything will be okay.", Hell, star trek had the first interracial kissed that aired on TV.

Star wars is another can of beans. Star wars has and should always be, an space opera. To forces of good and evil clash in the stars to find out who should rule. Star wars, hasn't really given us questions to answer but virtues to study; but doesn't any good story about good and evil do the same thing? Personally i find that the most believe able star wars movies are the first 3 created, because i look at everything and see how it would make sense in the real world. Granted death stars and lasers are not realistic, but they fit the world and most of the world was believable.

So.... when does the shield high get a update.
*uses tickle on closest target!*

And the dark side(star wars) is much better obviously
but anyway...star trek is star trek...the two are both space sci-fi, but the roots are different
AllenAndArth

Postby Pudding Earl » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:46 am

BOOM! UPDATE! It's a small one for now, but still, just in case someone loves their blackmail content.
Pudding Earl

Postby BlueLight » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Damn... no stalker content....
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Pudding Earl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:13 pm

UPDATE! Not a big one, but still, an updates an update.
Pudding Earl

Postby Vratix » Wed May 22, 2013 7:22 am

Really happy I discovered this game :) Keep up the good work!
Vratix
Newly Registered

Postby AllenAndArth » Thu May 23, 2013 6:37 pm

woooo update
AllenAndArth

Postby Pudding Earl » Thu May 23, 2013 7:32 pm

AllenAndArth Wrote:woooo update

Less an update more a "Please don't abandon me I'm still here" gift.
Pudding Earl

Postby Fantasie » Fri May 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Could I by any chance get access to the password on your RAGS file? I wish to see some of your work in order for me to make my own game.
Fantasie
Newly Registered

Postby Pudding Earl » Fri May 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Fantasie Wrote:Could I by any chance get access to the password on your RAGS file? I wish to see some of your work in order for me to make my own game.

I'm hesitant to do so, but since I'm not working in RAGS anymore I'll consider it. Intellectual property and all that jazz. Not that there's much in there to steal, but...y'know. PM me about it and we'll discuss it there.
Pudding Earl

Postby Fantasie » Sat May 25, 2013 1:57 pm

I will when I can PM ;P
Fantasie
Newly Registered

Postby Pudding Earl » Sat May 25, 2013 6:47 pm

Fantasie Wrote:I will when I can PM ;P

Riiiiiight, new user. Well, my blog DOES clearly state a contact e-mail address for any questions. Hint hint.
Pudding Earl

Postby BlueLight » Sun May 26, 2013 12:20 am

Puddy-kun.... you talked to some else 2 times in a row.... ;(
Does this mean your going to be switching out your light bulbs.
You know, the blue ones i broke into your apartment to install... By the way, i think you keep forgetting to give me a key to your apartment.
- signed creepy bluelight.

Anyways, i hope you enjoy the challenge of making your own game engine. If you use java you can use Googles API which are really helpful. I just found something they made called a "Focus Panel" which basically mixes the best of JButton and JPanels together.
I bet your going to be using C# though. That is the language you were learning off of.
Fun language but it's so unforgiving. It's so easy to make a buggy GUI with it. That being said, java has really bad GUI builders so we're not any better.
BlueLight

Postby Pudding Earl » Sun May 26, 2013 1:07 am

BlueLight Wrote:Puddy-kun.... you talked to some else 2 times in a row.... ;(
You know, the blue ones i broke into your apartment to install... By the way, i think you keep forgetting to give me a key to your apartment.

Anyways, i hope you enjoy the challenge of making your own game engine. If you use java you can use Googles API which are really helpful. I just found something they made called a "Focus Panel" which basically mixes the best of JButton and JPanels together.
I bet your going to be using C# though. That is the language you were learning off of.
Fun language but it's so unforgiving. It's so easy to make a buggy GUI with it. That being said, java has really bad GUI builders so we're not any better.

Yes yes, C# is the plan. But I'm probably building off the XNA framework, assuming it has the functionality I need. My study hasn't gotten far enough to tell me yet. I don't see any reason it wouldn't though. Once I'm done with this course I plan to do a lot of reading on Java and trying to learn that. Unless I've misread they're both Object Oriented, so the core principles should carry over. Lucky for me programming has turned out to be the easiest thing I've ever studied, and now I have motivation to hurry the fuck up with my studies.
Pudding Earl

Postby BlueLight » Sun May 26, 2013 8:02 am

Pudding Earl Wrote:

Yes yes, C# is the plan. But I'm probably building off the XNA framework, assuming it has the functionality I need. My study hasn't gotten far enough to tell me yet. I don't see any reason it wouldn't though. Once I'm done with this course I plan to do a lot of reading on Java and trying to learn that. Unless I've misread they're both Object Oriented, so the core principles should carry over. Lucky for me programming has turned out to be the easiest thing I've ever studied, and now I have motivation to hurry the fuck up with my studies.

Both are based on C and they are fairly inter changeable. Java is horrible for GUI's but i don't have anything else to really compare it to. I was helping a friend code in C# and for the most part i could code it. I had some of the syntax wrong but hell, i was impressed with my skill.

I personally found that the learn curve was huge for programming. You're always going to find ah hah moments.
BlueLight

Postby Pudding Earl » Sun May 26, 2013 8:33 am

BlueLight Wrote:
Pudding Earl Wrote:

Both are based on C and they are fairly inter changeable. Java is horrible for GUI's but i don't have anything else to really compare it to. I was helping a friend code in C# and for the most part i could code it. I had some of the syntax wrong but hell, i was impressed with my skill.

I personally found that the learn curve was huge for programming. You're always going to find ah hah moments.

Seems to just be a matter of learning your commands and memorizing them. Everything else is just thinking within the rules of the language at hand. And if they change over easily then that's fantastic to hear. Still gonna do the engine in C# though.
Pudding Earl

Postby BlueLight » Sun May 26, 2013 10:01 am

Pudding Earl Wrote:

Seems to just be a matter of learning your commands and memorizing them. Everything else is just thinking within the rules of the language at hand. And if they change over easily then that's fantastic to hear. Still gonna do the engine in C# though.[/quote]

Yes and no. Some times you can't learn the rules until you understand what's going inside the computer. Just about every book i read on the subject of programming explained it, and yet none of them explain it very well. When i really understood what a object was, i could easily say my productivity increase by 200% maybe 300%.

Having fun with exception error's yet?
BlueLight

Postby Pudding Earl » Sun May 26, 2013 1:31 pm

BlueLight Wrote:
Pudding Earl Wrote:

Seems to just be a matter of learning your commands and memorizing them. Everything else is just thinking within the rules of the language at hand. And if they change over easily then that's fantastic to hear. Still gonna do the engine in C# though.

Yes and no. Some times you can't learn the rules until you understand what's going inside the computer. Just about every book i read on the subject of programming explained it, and yet none of them explain it very well. When i really understood what a object was, i could easily say my productivity increase by 200% maybe 300%.

Having fun with exception error's yet?[/quote]

Objects are the easiest concept ever, how did you not get that pretty much instantly?

And no, since I'm just following along with the tutorial videos thus far. Worst I've done is forget to put the () on the end of a method because I'm a total moron. I've started to remember that's probably the problem if I'm getting errors.
Pudding Earl

Postby BlueLight » Sun May 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Pudding Earl Wrote:
BlueLight Wrote:
Pudding Earl Wrote:

Having fun with exception error's yet?

Objects are the easiest concept ever, how did you not get that pretty much instantly?

And no, since I'm just following along with the tutorial videos thus far. Worst I've done is forget to put the () on the end of a method because I'm a total moron. I've started to remember that's probably the problem if I'm getting errors.[/quote]

Just remember this, most people that learn college level programming from my experience, don't know how to create a method. They don't understand what a object is. and well, they are using a form of programming from the dark ages that is better forgotten.

They'd do something like this.
Code: Select All Code
public void someMethod(){

int redDice;
int bluDice;
Random r = new Random();

redDice = r.nextInt();
blueDice = r.nextint();

if(redDice == blueDice){
      redDice = r.nextInt();
      blueDice = r.nextint();
   }
   if(redDice < blueDice){System.out.println("Blue Wins");}
   if(redDice > blueDice){System.out.println("Red Wins");}
}

I as some one that programs in a object oriented way, have to say this is a horrible design. But that's how are education system works with programming. I believe the number of programs made this way reach over 75% to this day.

As for how long it took me to understand what a object is, i had a abstract idea but not a clear and simple way of thinking about them. They are extremely simple now that i understand them.
do you know what the stack is, yet?
Also how is garbage collection handled in C#
BlueLight

Postby Pudding Earl » Sun May 26, 2013 7:47 pm

BlueLight Wrote:
Just remember this, most people that learn college level programming from my experience, don't know how to create a method. They don't understand what a object is. and well, they are using a form of programming from the dark ages that is better forgotten.

They'd do something like this.

int redDice;
int bluDice;
Random r = new Random();

redDice = r.nextInt();
blueDice = r.nextint();

if(redDice == blueDice){
      redDice = r.nextInt();
      blueDice = r.nextint();
   }
}

I as some one that programs in a object oriented way, have to say this is a horrible design. But that's how are education system works with programming. I believe the number of programs made this way reach over 75% to this day.

As for how long it took me to understand what a object is, i had a abstract idea but not a clear and simple way of thinking about them. They are extremely simple now that i understand them.
do you know what the stack is, yet?
Also how is garbage collection handled in C#

The stacks' been covered, but if you asked me to explain it I wouldn't know how. Like, I get what it is, I get how it functions, generally, but explaining it is...eh. That's mostly lack of confidence and anxiety I've got it all wrong. Garbage collection is as simple as, if nothing is pointing to this object anymore, this object gets removed. Also what exactly is wrong with the code you presented? Lack of practical experience has me wondering where the problem is exactly.
Pudding Earl

Postby BlueLight » Sun May 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Pudding Earl Wrote:
BlueLight Wrote:

int redDice;
int bluDice;
Random r = new Random();

redDice = r.nextInt();
blueDice = r.nextint();

if(redDice == blueDice){
      redDice = r.nextInt();
      blueDice = r.nextint();
   }
}

The stacks' been covered, but if you asked me to explain it I wouldn't know how. Like, I get what it is, I get how it functions, generally, but explaining it is...eh. That's mostly lack of confidence and anxiety I've got it all wrong. Garbage collection is as simple as, if nothing is pointing to this object anymore, this object gets removed. Also what exactly is wrong with the code you presented? Lack of practical experience has me wondering where the problem is exactly.

So i'd personally have to look up stack again, but it's basically a part of the memory (Ram) where the object is stored. Knowing details like this can help make your program more efficient. You don't really have to worry about that at the scale of are programs... I don't think anyone when first learning to program really understands the concept of stack.

on to garbage collection... Thank god. I was worried I'd have to do it manually if i moved over to C#

Okay so the code i presented, is only really good if your trying to get your program working.
I'm going to do a simple modification because something about it is just bugging me.
also, the r.nextInt(int i); takes a integer value.

int redDice;
int bluDice;
Random r = new Random();

redDice = r.nextInt(6);
blueDice = r.nextint(6);

else if(redDice > blueDice){System.out.println("Red Wins");}
   else if (redDice == blueDice){someMethod();}
}

r.nextInt(i) returns a random value between 0 and i - 1. lets say i want to change my program so that redDice and blueDice get a value between 1 and 6 here is how i have to change my program.

int redDice;
int bluDice;
Random r = new Random();

redDice = r.nextInt(6) + 1;
blueDice = r.nextint(6);

else if(redDice > blueDice){System.out.println("Red Wins");}
   else if (redDice == blueDice){someMethod();}
}

now if i check the value with the debugger i get return value from both values and i get 3, & 3; however redDice wins. If we check the program there is a error. I made a mistake (likely story). I forgot to make line 8 (" blueDice = r.nextint(6); ") to be this (" blueDice = r.nextint(6) + 1; ") when you're program gets to 1,000's lines of code (which my GUI' alone, tend to do.) than errors like that can creep up a lot.

however here's a different modification that's object oriented.

private int getRandomDiceRoll(int i){
   Random r = new Random();
   return r.nextInt(i) + 1;}

private int getRandomDiceRoll(){
   return this.getRandomDiceRoll(6);
}

int redDice;
int bluDice;

redDice = this.getRandomDiceRoll();
bluDice = this.getRandomDiceRoll();

else if(redDice > bluDice){System.out.println("Red Wins");}
   else if (redDice == bluDice){someMethod();}
}

Now lets for some odd reason we need to roll a 100 sided dice for some reason. We can just call the getRandomDiceRoll(100); and we just use a 100 and not 6.
My dad is OCD about object oriented programming. while working a full time job; he was able to program part time for my family business (The only programmer) and was able to keep up to pace in features with the competition that had 3 full time programmers. So ya, I've been drilled hard about OO programming.

Some times you just need to brute force something to work, but for maintainability using OO Programming is better. It lets you focus on make the core features and avoid recreated the same line of code over and over.

For instants. Lets say i have a program that relies heavy on exponents.

2^3

okay well if i was to program this i would do something like this.

void a (){
   int value = 2;
   int exponent = 3;
   int reminderValue = value;
   for(int i = 0; i < exponent; i = i +1){// ya i know. I could do i++;, but that's less clear than i = i+1;
     value = value*reminderValue
}

// do something with value....
}

I could do all that hard work and even then it wont give me a value if i did something like 8^(1/3) or (1/8)^(-1/3). we're assume that my program likely uses this more than 10 times in different ways, so what i could do each time to void reporgramming this is this.

void a (){
   int value = Math.pow(2.0, 3.0);
   ///do something with value....
}

and now i got past the pains of even creating that set of code, once. It follows all the rules of exponents unlike mine and it's less likely to have a error.
Ya, i know; kinda seems like a cheating way to claim OO programming is better but it's in fact a prime example of object oriented programming.
BlueLight

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Flash Projects