Jumbo70's Art Garden

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

What should i focus on?

Keep going the way you go now.
30%
Study more of the proper placement of the butt hole(anatomy).
30%
Study more shadin.
3%
I don't care bout polls but I like tick boxes and buttons.
37%

Total votes : 30

Re: Jumbo70's Art

Postby Jumbo70 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Krystal_big one.jpg

Its finished!

I would really appreciate if you would comment on the shadows. Are they good? Are they bad? why are they what you think they are?
Use something like paint for example to make circles where i should have more shadow or less.

Thank you!
Jumbo70

Postby Duoiz » Fri May 13, 2016 1:25 pm

The light might need some more work imo.
Maybe you could try drawing light lines to help you get the light, if not perfect atleast better...

Example:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8XLgmiExAbw/maxresdefault.jpg

Backtrassing the point of orgin of your light source is hard, wich leads me to belive that it is incorrect.
For instance the arm ontop of her head shows that the light is coming from above, maybe even from behind her.
The shadow on the tailtip however says it is comming from the front, maybe even from a point on the floor and the lower tail once again says from above.

Now don´t get me wrong. I love the image, I just want you to get even better.

Edit: Also don´t forget shadows don´t have shadows.
Duoiz

Postby Jumbo70 » Sat May 14, 2016 7:23 pm

Thank you!

The picture you linked is good. I understand what they are trying to show on it^^
I think those light lines you mentioned as you can see them on the link too seems to be very interesting, defiently going to try it out on next piece!

Dont understand what you mean with the shadows dont have shadows tough
Jumbo70

Postby Duoiz » Mon May 16, 2016 4:42 pm

If there is a shadow, even if you add another objects shadow untop of the first one, the first shadow doesn´t get darker.
Using your image as an example, her ass for instance shouldn´t have an extra "butt crack shadow".
Or taking an example from reallife, if you stand under a roof, in the shadow you can´t see your own shadow.
But, back to her butt:

https://courses.byui.edu/art110_new/art110/glossary/Images/Light.png I use this image as a reference but you can google any "draw shadow" tutorial to get a simular image.

"Cast shadow" and "Core shadow" has the same amount of darkness, in your image her back should be a core shadow seeing how the light comes from the "front-ish".
Right now you have a "Core shadow" on her tail and in her butt, but the only way you could have that is if all of her, more or less, is in half-tone or refleceted light. And the only reason this example has that much reflected light is that the ball is metallic, it reflects alot compared to fur.

Once again, love your art, the lines, the colors, I look forward to seeing your work when you have masterd light and shadow.
Oh, and don´t forget to save once you have done a "flat", that way you can redo the shadows and light over and over again untill you are happy with them.
(flat=more or less unshaded image with color coded areas, sometimes in grays and/or sometimes in the colors of the finished image.)
Duoiz

Postby Jumbo70 » Tue May 17, 2016 3:19 pm

Alright!

Krystal_big one_flat.jpg

Heres the picture as flats ( I try to keep everything in separate layers since it makes it easier and if i fuck up something the pic isnt completly destroyed ^^)

Shade_stuff.jpg

And here is the picture with the similiar "light lines" as on the picture you posted earlier.
I tried by following the lines to add "light" as the cyanish color in places where i tought it would hit, it is all very rough tough since i didnt spend much time on this atm.
And also where i belive the core shadow should go.

What "bothers" me is that the body itself creates "shadows" on itself. Armpits, possible skinfolds and so on, I marked them as darker cores. So those areas should be smoothed darker than the core shadow, instead of using a "flat" darker shade?

I dont know if i make much sense but i try my best :D

The eye seem to have its own shadow layer :D

I deeply appreciate your patience in trying to show me what you mean and i thank you that you like my art, even tough i have trouble with the shadows!
Jumbo70

Postby x3Darkie » Wed May 18, 2016 12:50 am

Ohai there. You might have seen me around here before. But I've mainly been avoiding this thread because this is your art, not mine. That said, I've taken some time to give you a little help on this. If you'd like me to do this more often, just ask and I'll jump in once in awhile and leave a post or something.

First of all, I am by no means an expert in lighting. Hell, I daresay painting is probably my weakest part. So keep that in mind.

Light is complicated. There's a LOT of factors when it comes to lighting in paintings. Light reflects, refracts, stacks, bends. There's also the question of how "strong" the light is, is there multiple light sources, how big is the light source, how light affect hues and how different hues/colors of light affect the hues (I haven't even talked about shadows). In other words, complicated. But for starters, just remember that light bends, reflects and refracts.

As for your current art, it seems to me that you're going for a highly contrasting look with an almost spotlight kind of light source. In this case, the shadows isn't dark enough on her back. To fix this, simply make the back darker. If you want EVEN more contrast, make it even darker and or make the bright areas brighter. For the lighting part, I can't tell you EXACTLY what to do. Art is subjective, after all. But this is how I would've done the lighting. Once again, as a general rule of thumb, light bends, reflects and refracts.

qorkfdaq.jpg
qorkfdaq.jpg (143.15 KiB) Viewed 2041 times

Also, I didn't spend too much time painting red over this. So I may have missed certain spots and it is certainly full of jittery spots.
Captivity - A Hentai JRPG now being ported to Unity / Captivity PreFoundation - A direct tie-in side story manga
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6124 / viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7013
x3Darkie

Postby Jumbo70 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:24 pm

No, i really appreciate any kind of help i can get. i learn best when someone points the mistakes or flaws i do. ofc i notice them too after a while but it just speeds up the process a lot for me :3 I thank you!

So, if i understand correct your red lines tell that here you should do something? Make it darker/lighter n so on?

I use sharp contrast atm since i am still very new to shading. I've only recently started to grasp the anatomy of things. Not correct yet but getting there! And next on my to-do list is shading, so i thought that starting with hard contrast would be the best course of action to get the general idea where the shadow goes and doesn't go. Then once i got that under somewhat control, i add more layers of shadows and smooth them out to create the "fur" feel and so on.
Jumbo70

Postby x3Darkie » Wed May 18, 2016 2:44 pm

Oh yeah, I didn't mention this in my original post, but yes. The red I've painted is supposed to be where the light hits. I didn't go nuts with it so I didn't paint any shadows.
Captivity - A Hentai JRPG now being ported to Unity / Captivity PreFoundation - A direct tie-in side story manga
x3Darkie

Postby Jumbo70 » Wed May 18, 2016 9:27 pm

Alright

I understand the reds in other parts of her body but why in the middle of the back? Because those parts poke out a bit and hence a bit lighter?
Jumbo70

Postby x3Darkie » Thu May 19, 2016 2:08 am

Light reflects (and off the tail in this case). And the stronger the light is, the stronger the reflection will be. But keep in mind that it's a stylistic choice and not necessary accurate or realistic. But yeah, the light that hits the spine area shouldn't be THAT bright. I just didn't use any pen pressure on my brush for it.
x3Darkie

Postby Jumbo70 » Thu May 19, 2016 2:32 pm

Ah, I see. I thank you for your pointers! ^^
Jumbo70

Postby Duoiz » Mon May 23, 2016 1:24 pm

Droping by once again.

I like the progress you have done with the light beams. I also suggest you read up on what x3Darkie is talking about (no one will ever be a master of this subject). Light is tricky, and there is ton of stuff to learn about it. AND! It is the first step towards shadows.

There are tons of ways to do light/shadows, especily with drawn art. Your style is more cartoonish then realistic so I am guessing that is what you are going for, in that case it is important to remember that "less is/(can be) more".
Don´t over do shadows or light.

For instance, you are talking about shadows on the image but let me give you 2 examples taken straight from google:

http://www.gatheryourparty.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/snow-white-example.jpg
http://i.stack.imgur.com/VAvkU.jpg

If you look at the image from snowwhite you can see that there is only 1 light and 1 other tone, there is no shadow tone, the whole light/shadow is just 2 colors, one dark and one bright.
The same thing can be said about the scoobydo image. It clearly shows just 2 tones, light/dark for each color.

I suggest you try to light your image 2 times, use the flat you have, in one you add just the highlight and in the other you add just the shadow then compare the three (yes three images since you will have flat with light, flat with shadow, and also if you have all layer in one image flat with both.) and test for yourself what fits best with your type of drawing.

Remember that there are alot of do and don´t when it comes to shadows and lightning, but in the end, it is you, the artist that is the judge of what the final piece should look like.

I might also recommend, if you have the time to spare, that you pick up a 3d program, say blender3d, not to go 3d modeling but to learn about light.
Alot of 3d programs have alot of advanced ways to render and display light and it might help give a good insight on how it works, especily the bending and the reflection of light.
(That or you can pick up some colored light bulbs and a art-dummy at your local ikea, but blender3d is free!)
Duoiz

Postby Jumbo70 » Mon May 23, 2016 2:59 pm

Welcome back!

I have been eyeballing a art-dummy for some quite time but for some reason the dummy hasnt been dumb enough to jump in my pocket yet!

I admit, light is indeed very tricky, and i have much to learn still about it. what i am aiming for in style is something similiar to perhaps wolfy nails, and Yawgs shading styles. I like them a lot.
But atm staying in a more simple tone so that i dont drown immediatly once i hop into the deeper end of shading. I wish to become better in shading and i believe this is the right path to do so.

I also try to look at my clothes, how the light bends and bounces from my clothes, creating shadows while i walk outside to work or somewhere else. Must look very smart for a person to walk in public staring at his arm while moving it up and down in front of him...

I thank you for the pictures and suggestions you gave me!
Jumbo70

Postby Duoiz » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:03 am

Clothes are super tricky, and we all love nudes, no to be less like the joker and more serious.

Clothes are hard, but there are alot of tricks to learn more about it.
A cheap way is to take 2 large pieces of fabric, like a towel, of diffrent thickness and throw it over a stol, chair or some empty milk cartons and then look at the folds and shadows that are created.
One less (socialy) accepted version if you have a sibling that used to play with dolls is to use them as modells to look at the clothes to learn about folds, shadows and the like.

As for the artist you mentioned I looked up one of his/her images (kinky....) annnyywayys... the colorization he uses reminds me of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpc-ttVsOXg I don´t know if you have seen it, but I think it might give you a clue you already have a nice linework going, and I think this could give you some hints, IF you havn´t seen it already. Note that a big diffrence (alteast from the image I saw and this video) is the fact that all the background the the like is colored in.

Looking foward to your next update.
GL HF!
PS In quick post mode, so copy paste url to view video DS
Duoiz

Postby Jumbo70 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:29 pm

Thanks for your reply!

The video you linked is really good, i thank you!

The towel trick you mentioned seems to be very interesting. I have to try that one!
The art of the artists i mentioned are a bit on the kinky side but if you look past that, they are really well made. atleast in my eye :D
I hope i can reach atleast an adequate shading level before i reach the coloring and shading part on my "tiny" flash animation project, so that i can really create something amazing! :D

Thank you!
Jumbo70

Postby Duoiz » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:16 pm

Woooah! Hold your horses!
Flash aimation? Now we´re talking!
Just a bit of a heads up, your shading type won´t support free form animations, atleast not without tons and tons of work, and even then it will probably not look great.
The best you could aim for is a distort type of animation simular to the make fluent filter in photoshop. (atleast I think that is what it is called) But then again, my knowledge of flash is kinda like 1999. :P
Do you have a sample of what type of animation you are aiming for?
Duoiz

Postby Jumbo70 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:33 am

:D

Well the animation is a frame by frame animation, as in i draw every single frame.

i have plans on making it alteast 30 frames per second, the whole thing is 2 seconds long, after that it loops.

I have own forum thread for my animations over at the flash side ^^
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5852
this link can also be found from my signature
Jumbo70

Postby Jumbo70 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:51 pm

Boo

use.jpg
Jumbo70

Postby OwnerOfSuccuby » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:38 am

I like your arts ;) Do not stop with it :mrgreen: ;)
OwnerOfSuccuby

Postby Jumbo70 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:19 pm

Thank you!
I'm not gonna stop with what im doing anytime soon, no need to worry about that. Just wish i was a bit faster tough :)
Jumbo70

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Flash Projects