Ho Ho Hoes (rough draft)

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Ho Ho Hoes (rough draft)

Postby evilOlive » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:38 am

7/7/16
So I've taken in the feedback that I got and worked on the project a little more.

Things added:
- Placeholder for backstory/intro scene
- Improved walk cycle animation
- 3 incomplete ending sex scenes
- 1 failure ending scene

Endings are based on what item was given to daughter and what you have when you enter the bedroom.
Any more feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Here goes,
Olive
Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

hohohoesTwo.swf [ 452.67 KiB | Viewed 2658 times ]

6/9/16
Sooooo hiiii, this is my first post here and its a very rough draft of my first Flash Game. Ho Ho Hoes (working title lol)

I would love to get some feedback from you guys on how this project is coming along.
It's nowhere near what I have in mind as a final product.

I'm still working on:
-Intro video (covering the backstory)
-At least 4 more possible endings (Currently there is only one and it's more of a tease than a full scene)
-More levels (different families homes)
-A more interactive environment

If you have any ideas or suggestions I would love to have them.

Thanks, hope you enjoy,
Olive
Attachments
Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

santaTest.swf [ 240.53 KiB | Viewed 3086 times ]

Last edited by evilOlive on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
evilOlive

Re: Ho Ho Hoes (rough draft)

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:36 am

As an animation student, the walk cycle bothered me. Google "walk cycle" and you'll get a lot of helpful material. My favorite quick reference is this one. If you are planning to do a lot of animations, let me suggest this series as well. I wish someone had shown that to me a decade ago.

As for the game mechanics/plot, i guess I'd like to see more from you before making suggestions. Maybe some elf action in there somewhere. Or reindeer action. Or abominable snow man action. Or tentacles.

The controls work well. It kinda bothered me to use the mouse for a few things and the keyboard for most things. Santa's walking speed was a little slow. It's not terrible for this game, since the stage is pretty small, but I was often annoyed at how long it takes to walk around in the main Legend of Krystal games, so it kinda reminded me of that.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby evilOlive » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:12 am

Thanks for the advice and the links. I had some trouble making the walk cycle and I'm sure that link you gave me will help me. I was going for more of a sneak/tip toe kind of look but it needs work for sure.

The abominable snowman and the elves will be in the backstory animation intro.

I'll look into making it fully keyboard playable. I totally agree with you on the monotony of walking back and forth through side scrolling games. Maybe I'll add a sprint or something.

Thanks so much for the constructive criticism Ace! This will help me a lot.
evilOlive

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:14 pm

There will be plenty of reference out there for sneaking walk cycles too. This burglar could work well for a sneaky santa as well. Note that you can press the gear symbol on youtube to change the speed to .5 or .25 when studying animations.

You know, you could make sneaking/sprinting a game mechanic. Some obstacles might need to be sneaked past, while others need to be sprinted past. If you don't have plans for the down button, maybe you could hold down to sneak and press normally to run. A lot of fighting and brawler games have you press left, left or right, right to dash, but that convention is seldom used in Flash games.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby evilOlive » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:55 pm

Thank you so much again.

I'm going to work on the walk cycle today and hopefully post it today too.

I really like that idea of sneaking/running. I think it will spice it up a little more.
evilOlive

Postby JacksonGood » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:22 am

Would definitely enjoy the game and I can see various things you can do with it. Solid groundwork!

Keep the name, it's hilarious.
JacksonGood

Postby evilOlive » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:43 am

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Last bumped by evilOlive on Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:43 am.
evilOlive

Return to Flash Projects