Remaking Sim Brothel: Fix the typos, fix the bugs.

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Remaking Sim Brothel: Fix the typos, fix the bugs.

Postby IxFa » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:18 pm

Seeing the new Brothel Sim being made by miesmike(http://www.legendofkrystal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4421) made me want to play the old one that I'm sure many people remember.
The old one is so littered with bugs and typos though!
So I figured I'd use this as an excuse to try learning Flash. What could be easier than remaking an old management game?..
I suspect eventually meismike's sim will be better than my shot at a remake could ever be, but I liked the classic. Anyone else in favor of this?

Small problem: I'm very new to this. I can't find an FLA of the original or expanded, so I can't look at how that works and just start fixing mistakes and seeing the script. I actually have to learn this stuff.
But I took Visual Basic 1 and 2 in high school and scored above 100% in both, due to perfect grades and extra credit. Clearly I have potential.

I have downloaded and installed Adobe Flash CC 2014 with a 30-day trial. I will honestly try figuring this stuff out everyday for this 30-day-trial. After that, I could pay the sub fee of $20 a month, or find some other way, or if I just don't get this stuff then I suppose I stop after the month trial ends. Does anyone have any tips that may specifically help with remaking Sim Brothel?

My plans with this:

I was looking at the other Sim Brothels, and many seem to be such a hassle for a user to play. So many downloads, so many registrations and set-ups(Such as each girl being an separate download). It'd be nice if someone could just click "Sim Brothel" and start playing, so I want to make something that works like that.

I want to have 0 spelling and grammar errors. I want to be rid of all bugs(Such as the infinite AP from Good Health, or broken save files).
I would like to add the option to keep playing after 300 days
Fix the pricing of buildings so it isn't like buying the entire building all over again just to add one room.
Allow the micro-managing of girls to be easier and more streamlined. No need to cycle through all girls to view health, EXP, change work, etc. Something like "Send all low-health girls to rest" or having the menu of girls show who is working, who has low health, etc.
Improve the abilities/perks system. In the original there are many abilities added through school at some low percent chance each day. You could get "Obedient" after just two days of bondage school, or after 5 weeks. That should be... changed. I have a few ideas how to change it. Won't get too complicated for now though.

And many other things, but adding new features to the game are very very low priority as I don't want feature-creep. I want to get a solid understanding of this and just make something that WORKS, first.
...That said, I'll add a little spoiler with potential ideas that won't be approached until much later on.
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Selectable events when pre-requisites are met.
Bestiality: Girls with some minimum popularity can be hired out by people for animal shows of sorts. This would take a lot of health/stamina and it'd be all they can do on that day. Good pay though.
Virgins: God I will never stop loving the virgin thing, will I? Well I'm not alone! If you have a girl that is a virgin, there would be at least two ways to have her "first" happen. Special clients can hire virgin-specific girls for good money, or you could break her in. Result is different amounts of money, health loss, experience gain, and stat gain.
Theme-Advertising: Bonus to building's customer pull if all girls in the building for the night fit a theme. All blacks, all mature, all petite, etc. Won't be a huge bonus, but a bonus nonetheless.

Lastly, content on/off switch. Original has lolicon. Some people hate that, so I'll have it be an option. Bestiality, if added, would also be on/off. Anything else relevant would have an on/off too.

Again, all features not present in the original besides polishing and fixing the core mechanics will come AFTER the basic thing is put together. I will NOT fall victim to having too much ambition and not enough skill!

Disclaimer:
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Assuming there's no rules against it, I will not be using my own original art or characters for this. The original was just characters from anime and games. Art from, I assume, google-searched sites. if this took off and everything went incredibly, maybe I'd start working on a version of original characters with original art(My art, girlfriend's art, friend's art, submitted art. Whatever.) Not on my to-do list though.
I also will not make money off this. The original wasn't mine, the art's not mine, the character's not mine, no one's money is mine.
This is for fun, for learning, for contributing.

Sorry I have nothing to show for myself right now, I just want a little push to doing this. Some help, some kind words, whatever.
Last edited by IxFa on Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
I've notably written for Corruption of Champions, as well as other projects to a minor extent. My alias is always IxFa.
Current project(s): LAH's New Blog, Short Stories, Game Scenes
Commissions: Open
Requests: Open
IxFa

Re: Remaking Sim Brothel: Fix the typos, fix the bugs.

Postby Janamed » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:12 am

It would be nice to see a smaller scale remake of the original. There already is a group doing a revival sequel project, completely fan made and free, but at last check it was a 7gb download. Have you looked into joining that project at all?
(Honestly I'm a little surprised there isn't a thread about it on here already)
Janamed
Newly Registered

Postby IxFa » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Ehh which one is that?
The Java one?
The one with supposedly daily updates?

I did look around at the others that people have done and they're either dead or far from user-friendly. Really, though, at the core, I want to remake the original. Anything that wasn't in the original is more of a "Well if I get this all done right, maybe I'll do more to it."
Top priority for me is to make something that is REALLY similar to the original, just in better working order. Nothing complicated or tedious to play, just a flash game you click and start up to kill some time. The original, but without the typos or bugs.(Of which there were many)
I've notably written for Corruption of Champions, as well as other projects to a minor extent. My alias is always IxFa.
IxFa

Postby GenesisPrime » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:10 am

I believe Janamed is talking about this one: http://sb2revival.lefora.com/ it was made with rpg maker. I'm one of the developers working on it.
GenesisPrime

Postby IxFa » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:05 am

Ah, that one.
I didn't download it because I dread adding extra programs like "tortoiseSVN"
Is it still actively updated?
IxFa

Postby GenesisPrime » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:05 pm

more or less yeah. it's been a little slow cause we're currently remaking the brothel algos from scratch...which should be finished soon. but for the most part we update often.
GenesisPrime

Postby AnarchyAngel » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:34 am

Love this it has a lot of potential. needs cum scenes, you could add a feature to train the girls skill level letting the master do the fucking and implement a create master system with the feature to choose positions and speed based on gold, upgrades ect... would like to see a better color pallet, the blue green don't look right and the play through are bugging on them for how much you satisfy brothel customers. would like to see better options for clothing and customizing as well i know there is a thread on here that has all the old play shape sprites and data up for free if its of interest the sprite for krystal is really good. another note i can make is the story progress is great but a bit glitchy you have to change name leave return to edit names and it would be nice if they had some trainable skills such as cooking medical and teaching for the jobs you can get. bookmarking for future so it would be awesome to see a save option on the next update. great job love the game so far keep it up. i can not code or sprite but i am great at story writing if you want free help there.
AnarchyAngel

Postby AnarchyAngel » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:45 am

AnarchyAngel

Postby BlueVixen » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:57 pm

I think I remember this game, sure has been a while! I do remember quite a lot of errors with the Dialogue and Glitches which makes me glad to see it getting some attention to be fixed.

All the current ideas seem to be pretty good.

If you need some help then may I volunteer? I can work on both Art and Dialogue.
BlueVixen

Postby Emily21 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:00 am

You've got nice idea. Good luck!
Emily21

Return to Flash Projects