PokéMorph (Discontinued)

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: PokéMorph (Update: v1.63 7/1/17)

Postby Dapper Gent » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:47 am

As long as I'm still breathing this project will keep going. I'm hellbent on seeing it through until the last line of code is type and the last picture for it is installed.

As Val said, we've hit a few setbacks recently. Between moving to a new engine and trying to find another artist or two, we've fallen way behind schedule. Though once we get the engine done catching up in game content will be a breeze but art will still probably be our Achilles heel.

Anyway, we're not dead. Far from it!
Dapper Gent

Postby kingkeve » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:24 pm

good lord there is so many bugs on this game... like just unplayable bugs. speed up text you have a chance to force the game to just stop working in be trap sometimes the game events don't work right talking to a npc it freezes like holy shit man.
kingkeve
Newly Registered

Postby Dapper Gent » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:51 am

Most of which, if not all of them, have been addressed. Though a lot of it has to do with the engine. We're still working on the new one. The team just got into a decent groove with it. No eta on it just yet but we're trying to get a gameplay demo out to showcase the changes and updates.
Dapper Gent

Postby Screamz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 pm

Hello! It's been awhile since I played through this game but it's pretty good and having been a fan of Humbird0's games I was pleasantly intrigued by it. I'm happy to hear that you guys haven't given up on it. Also I would like to mention something regarding these messages:

Dead2112man Wrote:
obviouslyanalias Wrote:Hey, you do realize that once you open source something, it is open source for good, right? That's the whole point of open source, you can't just change your mind and close source it. Sure you can change the licence on future assets, but those already in the public domain stay licensed under whatever they were originally released with. You can only make things less closed source retrospectively. You can ask for attribution, but that is in itself a specific license that should be included with the source material.

Not trying to start shit, but your main post is spreading misinformation. Whatever assets were available in the license before your post edit are fair use. If you want control of your assets you need to ship the licensing info with the product. Keep it in mind for the future, so you don't get into flame wars with other developers.

You know, a good way to not try to start things, would be not bring it up

And no, Open source project sure, the stuff that we initily used are open source for they were made for Humbird0's game. But the stuff we have made, specifically for this they have never been open sourced. And no, we are not spreading misinformation, that has been a thing from when we started to create are own assets. DapperGent has just had to make it more clear cut after the a previous issue that did not resolve well for either party.

Really flame wars? is that still a term people use for internet fights.

and this from the main post:

"As of June 20th, 2017, the resources created by Dark Impulses, including tile sets, sprites and artwork, are no longer open source for public use. If you or someone you know is currently using our resources please contact us immediately."

First of all, I really don't think its inappropriate for someone to point out what seems to be an inconsistency. I think most people understand that its not logical to say that something is now no longer open source, and that is what that quote from the main post implies. It could (and should imo) also mean that everything new made for the game going forward is no longer open source. (Also, you really don't need to be coming off as rude to someone on a forum, it just looks bad on your team.)

Anyhow, I don't mean this to be inflammatory, but maybe its a good learning experience, and more optimistically, a good thing this issue has been addressed as early on as it has.

With that in mind I think its necessary to point out that the game client doesn't have a disclaimer, the game files don't have a readme, and the credits.txt make no mention of intellectual property apart from this fun bit:

'Disclaimer
Copyrighted works are
copyright to the
copyright holders who
copyrighted them

Ownership
Pokemon's the intellectual property of GameFreaks
Pokemon is an emotional property of childhood
Pokemon is a fundamental property of fandom
Pokemon are the private property of Ash
Pokemon was produced by Nintendo
Pokemon have reproduced with each other
Pokemon have been reimagined by their fans.'

However there is a game editor.

Personally I think you guys should be the ones benefiting from your work, I mean like its obvious you put real effort and time into it, but it would make sense to me that with the new engine and refresh of the game would be your closed source starting off point, and just keep going from there, having it be one of those ridiculously well funded patreon games. You don't really see someone hijacking your game and then seriously competing with it do you? Anyway sorry if this post is irrelevant, dumb, outdated or whatever but I really mean to encourage you guys. This style of game ought to be immortal ; )

(and on a side note, I would have sent a pm to dapper but my account is too new to allow that :/ )
Screamz

Postby Dapper Gent » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:10 pm

*sighs* Here we go again.

You know, at this point I should fix the wording on that. Just so people stop bringing it up. Open source is obviously the wrong term. All assets created by our team is owned by Dark Impulses, a subsidiary to Judgment Gaming, Co, a company title I own personally. The items we've developed were always owned by us. We said early on if anyone wants to use our creations they should contact us first. However it wasn't until we had issues with another creator that we had to start enforcing it which resulted in that message. Again, poor terminology, but it seemed easier to say that than give the whole explanation.

I didn't update the game file with a disclaimer or anything of the sort since we were working towards developing our own engine and didn't want to give false hope by uploading a minor edit. The above disclaimer was carried over from Humbird0's engine.

Now with all of that said, we plan to have a full disclaimer, list of contributors, team members (current and former), contact info and so on in the next version of the game since it'll be its own engine and will require that information.

Anywho, welcome to the forums! To pm people you just need a total of 10 posts across the entire forums to unlock it.
Dapper Gent

Postby Lourdes » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:15 pm

is the game done the moment eevee wants me to follow but an npc is in the way and won't move?
Lourdes
Newly Registered

Postby Seraphic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:23 am

I hope we get to play something soon, I miss this game. :|
Seraphic

Postby Dapper Gent » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:07 am

Lourdes, at which part? If you're talking about rt 5, past Cerulean then yes. There's a little bit more to that mini-evebt but that's it for the current release.

Seraphic, hopefully you all get to play it soon too! The team is excited about the progress we made but since our programmers are still green as far as Gamemakers go, progress has been slow. But at least it's moving!

We're still hoping for a late January demo release but we still have a bit to go for that.
Dapper Gent

Postby Humadragon2016 (2) » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 pm

so speaking of the engine how powerful are you planing on having it dapper? like what might be some limits to the engine just hypothetically...
Humadragon2016 (2)

Postby Dapper Gent » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 am

Added the full sets for Magmar, Tauros including an updated front poses.
Updated the full set for Magikarp and Pinsir.

Just a reminder, we're still looking for an additional artist to join the team. So If you think you can do the job or willing to try, send me a PM! Additionally, if you are well versed in GameMaker our programmers could benefit from your knowledge if you won't mind advising them for a bit.
Dapper Gent

Postby absent30 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:20 am

Hey there, just made an account so I could comment here. I don't have PM access yet, so this is about the best I can do.
Great work here, I really enjoyed your game for more subtle reasons, above the most obvious ones. I'm not particularly well versed in game maker, and my art style is super jank... But I'd be willing to help a bit where I can.
absent30
Newly Registered

Postby Dapper Gent » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:46 pm

Welcome to LoK! Glad you enjoyed the game. I'm.sure you'll enjoy the next update even more when we finally get it out.

All you need is 10 posts throughout the entire forums to PM people. Once you get that feel free to send to me one!
Dapper Gent

Postby absent30 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:45 pm

A warm welcome indeed! I'll look into that. I'm sure there are other good projects happening around here.
absent30
Newly Registered

Postby Dapper Gent » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:13 am

Oh yeah, there's plenty to look into. Honestly, I should probably look around a bit myself. Been awhile since I've had time to check out the upcoming games myself.
Dapper Gent

Postby Dapper Gent » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:15 am

Humadragon2016 (2) Wrote:so speaking of the engine how powerful are you planing on having it dapper? like what might be some limits to the engine just hypothetically...

Wrong guy to ask but with GameMaker we may be able to get into 3D at some point...in the distant, distant future. The new engine won't be much different than what the players are used to already. The main objective is just to get a smoother running engine, with less issues.
Dapper Gent

Postby ValturNaa » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:28 pm

Aye, 3d is a distant dream at this point but for the present our goals are to build pokemon with stats and types, a large moves library similar to original pokemon games, slightly improved graphics (like 32x32 tiles instead of 16x16), and the potential for rooms hundreds of tiles across and hundreds of morphs in storage without lagging the game. And also a more complex evolution system that will feel much more like the original game. I'm hoping eventually to build an editor that can create new games without requiring a gamemaker license, but that will be a project to work on after the game engine itself is complete. And the best part about working in gamemaker is that we can put out separate builds for players with linux or apple computers, and can eventually look into html5 online play or exports for other systems.
I'm not mad. I'm only forty and eighty percent crazy, and that's split between two personalities, which makes me almost half sane.
ValturNaa

Postby Humadragon2016 (2) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:12 pm

cool
Humadragon2016 (2)

Postby Heath0069 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:29 am

Yo guys what's going on :D
Heath0069

Postby Dapper Gent » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:02 am

Not much. How about you, Heath?
Dapper Gent

Postby Heath0069 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:17 pm

Dapper Gent Wrote:Not much. How about you, Heath?

Well I have a good idea for Tiny Adventures but I need a Pokemorph of salazal but she'll need to be a harem. What I'm hoping to do is add a few Fern Gully elements to it.
Heath0069

PreviousNext

Return to Flash Projects