Unnamed Quality Project In Progress!

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Unnamed Quality Project In Progress!

Postby BCM » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:59 am

Hey guys, I'm working on a new game, and on a lack of success of finding an artist, decided to try myself. I have gotten pretty good in using flash, but one thing that is troubling me is the shading. I know the bevel/drop shadow stuff, but when you have separate objects in one body, that doesn't seem to work. Also, hard to simulate e.g knees bending. This is what I have so far. Any help and tips would be great! :) Thanks in advance!

P.S The "lighting" isn't anywhere near finished, and I had to make a separate frame for each which is draining. Also, even with some extra hard work and imagination, I might be able to do the lighting, but how do you do the shadow?? Thanks again!
P.P.S Just in case I was vague, I'm mainly having trouble simulating the knees bending.
P.P.P.S Let me know what do you think about the model in general? :D
Attachments
Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

mainStanding.swf [ 6.19 KiB | Viewed 18046 times ]

Last edited by BCM on Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

How to Fail
Step 1: Give up

~BCM
BCM

Re: Noob Flash Artist Looking For Tips!

Postby Myuu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:07 am

BCM Wrote:Hey guys, I'm working on a new game, and on a lack of success of finding an artist, decided to try myself.

Ooh! It's always fun, trying to draw your image (artistically speaking)

That being said though, the mechanic you're using for the flash works for me~

I wonder, is it a new flash where you plan to use your own custom-drawn characters/objects? If not, I'm sure there's plenty of templates and characters for you to use~
Myuu

Postby BCM » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:30 am

Hello Myuu, thank you for the reply!
I have not used any templates or references, nor plan to, 100% my own custom design.
The "highlights" I'm using are not motion tween, rather frame by frame adjusted, which is a hassle.
Also having trouble on giving it shadow.

How to Fail

~BCM
BCM

Postby Terrantor!!! » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:18 am

At this point, the best thing you can do is actually copy ppl. Think of your favorite artist in the world, download some of his work and take lots of notes. Animation is something I too have trouble with, and you gotta understand there's a lot dynamics and dimensions to it. Great start, however and it's good you understand how to tween and stuff, because that's one thing that puts a lot of noobs off. So you can paint and you can use flash, now it's a matter of animating her. I'm very confident that once u understand animation principles, this will be quite fappable.

For the current animation, the motion won't be straight up and down when your character's legs bend, her knees will shift outward because of the shape of her pelvis bone. You'll have to draw heels behind her feet to move outward to support the movement of her shins as they'll naturally have to follow the knees. Move her nipples inwards because ppl's tits point more forwards as those look like they point east and west. Also her hair needs more part strands. Also, there's nothing wrong with a little bit of painted on shadow.
Terrantor!!!

Postby BCM » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:03 am

I see the problem now.. Thank you very much Terrantor.
Also I make the swf 2x larger so once placed in game, minor mistakes wont show.
I'm also doing a "side view" of the model so I'm trying to make them as simple as I can. I plan to emphasize "custom" in it, e.g clothes, breast size, accessories/jewelry, ect.
The knees might take some work seeing I glued both together T_T Guess I'm going to have to redo.
Here's some editing with your guy's help, what do you think? -Still far from finished though.

-Also increased fps a bit.
Attachments
Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

mainStanding.swf [ 7.05 KiB | Viewed 17809 times ]

How to Fail

~BCM
BCM

Postby Myuu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:32 am

Use this~

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Something.png

I only poked her, I swear!

...okay, I may (MAY!) have a penchant for drawing and couldn't resist. Sue me :P
Last edited by Myuu on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Myuu

Postby BCM » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:50 am

O_o

How to Fail

~BCM
BCM

Postby Myuu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:58 am

BCM Wrote:O_o

I broke senpai T^T
Myuu

Postby BCM » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:59 am

This really is amazing, I'm speechless! As much as I'd love to use your wonderful 100x enhanced sketch, I fear asymmetry that comes with my other drawings.
Thank you very much though, gave me a much better understanding.
I suppose there isn't a point asking for your expertise to join me? I have a quite interesting game concept that I think will blow the roof! :) Plus maybe some $$
Last edited by BCM on Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

How to Fail

~BCM
BCM

Postby Myuu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:08 am

BCM Wrote:This really is amazing, I'm speechless!

Senpai noticed me~<3

It's all in the physique -3-

BCM Wrote:I suppose there isn't a point asking for your expertise to join me? I have a quite interesting game concept that I think will blow the roof! :) Plus maybe some $$

I work for free, weary traveler. Any help I give is paid back in the experiences I earn~

That being said, I'd love to help~

That also being said, I'm a little involved with a number of other projects at the moment. Mainly Corta's Splatformer (which is on hold because Corta, bless his crusty little heart, is going through the motions of life) and Ivan-Aedler's "Peach's Untold Tale". Add into that any hurdles and swings from life, and my time may be restricted and prioritized at times.

But then, projects come and go. For the time being, I'll call you boss~

That last thing finally being said, I never did get around to vectoring. It's probably a simple matter, but I never got around to figuring that thing out. Huh...
Last edited by Myuu on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Myuu

Postby BCM » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:19 am

Well that is mighty kind of you. I love peach's untold tale, was part of my inspiration to get into gaming! I should be calling you senpai, not the other way around.
You do seem too busy and I'd hate to steal any little free time you have. I will continue to post my workings on here and would love any more tips you give me when you can.
For now I think I will stick to the very basic, and enhance textures on sequels, if any.
Thanks again ~senpai! :)

How to Fail

~BCM
BCM

Postby Myuu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:25 am

The reverse senpai card? You've played this game before... o(-`д´- 。)

Well, I'd at least like to help you get on your feet, traveler! Build your character models in whatever poses you'll have them and send them my way. I'll be sure to modify them limb by limb for your every advantage. I love new things, and an entirely new concept and design is something I'd be happy to get my hands on~

And don't think I wont do accessories/clothes either! Drawing naked people all the time is boring T^T
Myuu

Postby BCM » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:40 am

Your awesomeness is unparalleled. I would love that.
Initially I'm trying to do a side view walk, like platformer, and the "idle" standing. The animation I just made is for when shes idle that occurs 3-10 seconds randomly.
Idk how far you can go but a sketch like you made is great. I will make the most of it and have the "idle" animation up and running soon.

How to Fail

~BCM
BCM

Postby BCM » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:18 am

By the way, should the knees bend inward, or outward in this case?

How to Fail

~BCM
BCM

Postby BCM » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:52 pm

I GIVE YOU LIFEEE!! :lol: What do you think? I still have to tweak it a bit..
Oh and may I ask for some eyeballs please? And probably a mouth if its ok?
Attachments
Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

new.swf [ 6 KiB | Viewed 17718 times ]

How to Fail

~BCM
BCM

Postby RedX9090 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:48 pm

This looks amazing so far. i wish i could help but i can't draw :D
RedX9090
Newly Registered

Postby Myuu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:09 pm

BCM Wrote:Oh and may I ask for some eyeballs please? And probably a mouth if its ok?

I wake up to find this?

I really can't see it, but I'll act like I can. It'll confuse the casuals. Heh heh >.>

P.S. - It's a network issue

I usually ask my boss' to tell me the kinds of eyes/mouths they want. There's literally thousands of them, in both illustrations, anime, mangas, doujins, etc. In all cases, I ask for an image depicting either of them or both if it's convenient enough~

Or I could wing it and we could all stare, confused, but I do as I'm told, soooo...?~
Myuu

Postby BCM » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:24 pm

I really can't see it, but I'll act like I can. It'll confuse the casuals. Heh heh >.>

P.S. - It's a network issue

You can't see the swf? :( That's horrible, maybe I can send it to you?

I usually ask my boss' to tell me the kinds of eyes/mouths they want. There's literally thousands of them, in both illustrations, anime, mangas, doujins, etc. In all cases, I ask for an image depicting either of them or both if it's convenient enough~

I honestly don't know, I rely on your expertise :X. But if you'd really like I can maybe draw something up to depict.

Also, forgot to upload side view I had before the standing, would appreciate any templates or anything you would provide if and whenever you have the time.
Attachments
Untitled-1NEW.png
Untitled-1NEW.png (29.96 KiB) Viewed 17591 times

How to Fail

~BCM
BCM

Postby BCM » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:45 pm

I made her scary :cry: :oops:
Attachments
new.jpg
new.jpg (54.96 KiB) Viewed 17583 times

How to Fail

~BCM
BCM

Postby BCM » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:50 pm

RedX9090 Wrote:This looks amazing so far. i wish i could help but i can't draw :D

Thank you for the feedback sir :D

How to Fail

~BCM
BCM

Next

Return to Flash Projects