Demon Dreams ( Source Code release! 2015-9-27 )

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: Demon Dreams Animation Test & more( M/F/Herm, Sound )

Postby Bad Idea » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:03 am

Sorry for the pause between updates again. The end of November and the start of December got a little crazy for me on the RL front. Since this is becoming a pattern, I think maybe it's reasonable to expect updates on this project a couple of times per month, but bunched up together.

I want to make the November 3rd preview build public, but the file sizes here on LoK are limited to 32MB (currently the build rests at 39.4mb, most of it coming from 'uncompressed' MP3 files. (In theory, shouldn't those be the same size as they were on disk before I imported them??) )

So the question becomes:
- Is there a good place I can reasonably host a 39.4 MB swf of an incomplete game?
- Is there a way to reduce the file size without compromising on MP3 sound quality?

And if no on both of those,
- Would you folks rather have a demo with reduced sound quality, or a demo with missing content?

For the record, while I can host a file this size at Patreon, TOS prevents me from setting adult art to 'public.'
Demon Dreams - WIP thread - Because those fantasies had to come from somewhere.
Bad Idea

Re: Demon Dreams Animation Test & more( M/F/Herm, Sound )

Postby Bad Idea » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:40 pm

New release! See OP for the file!

I managed to slim down the file size a bit using slightly different sound compression settings, and now the latest build is now freely available here on LoK. This is basically November's Patreon release on steroids:

If you're not a contibutor to the project over at Patreon, this is probably your first look at the text system, the map screen, and the saved game system, among other things.

There's also a couple of completely new features in this build, such as NPC names on the map portraits, as well as within the dreams. (They aren't all named "Anna" anymore. :P)

There are more features packed under the hood that weren't quite ready yet. ( Hint for decompilers: look for arrays of string literals :P ) With luck we may have a working build with gameplay sometime soon.

Thanks everyone! :)
Bad Idea

Re: Demon Dreams ( New build: 2014-12-13 )

Postby BlueBody » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:56 am

Really digging the look of this project. I'm definitely interested in seeing how it progresses, especially now that I'm coming back to see how many new enterprising creators have spawned their ideas in these forums! Been a while since I've been back and this caught my eye first!
Fav. games on LoK Forums!
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BlueBody

Postby Bad Idea » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:53 am

Well, welcome back. :D And I'm glad you're interested. Here's hoping it lives up to your expectations! You've got quite a list there in your sig.

FYI: If you like text adventures, check out G&H.
Bad Idea

Postby KageTheHard » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:33 am

Really looking forward to this, gameplay looks interesting and the art is great. I can't wait for the next update/demo!
KageTheHard

Postby Bad Idea » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:57 pm

I'm just polishing up the new VN-style text system, and I just wondered what features other games are using in their text parsers. Any programmers reading this? Care to talk shop?

At the moment, the main dialogue tree is just stored as a big array of strings at the top of the file (so line 2 in the IDE corresponds to element 2 of the array.) So far I've got goto statements, labels (so I no longer need to know the exact position of the line in the array when using a goto statement, haha 20/20 hindsight,) animation triggers, and (slightly clunky in-code) dialogue choice popups. These commands all start with a !bang to eliminate the possibility of confusion with an actual first word of a sentence, and occasionally there's a wildcard such as $playerName that gets replaced with a gameplay variable just before the text is printed on the screen.

I'd love to hear what some of the other games on this site are using under-the-hood. (I know, I know. Use AS3, right? But more generally. What features are important to you, how are you implementing them, and why?)
Bad Idea

Postby Anonymouse » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:34 pm

I've used various methods, but I tend to go with functions that output text rather than just a list of strings.

So for example I'll have:
Code: Select All Code
function ask_question() {
    writeLine("Do you like eggs?");
    addOption("Yes", ask_question_yes);
    addOption("No", ask_question_no);
}

function ask_question_yes() {}
function ask_question_no() {}

It has its downsides, but the advantage is that when implementing something I'm not limited by what features/parser tags are coded in, I can do anything in a function that I want.

I guess the main feature I require for this sort of thing is If/Else statements. If you don't have those, you are quite limited in what you can do.

Oh and for hosting, try megaswf.com. I'm not sure what the upload limit is though.
Anonymouse

Postby Biles » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:26 pm

Given the size of the flash, shouldn't it have a loader animation at this point in time?
Need some basic Flash character animations? Then stop by at:
Biles' Animation Kit

Current RPs:
n/a
Biles

Postby Bad Idea » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:36 am

Biles Wrote:Given the size of the flash, shouldn't it have a loader animation at this point in time?

Huh.

That's a good point, actually. I'd better get on that.
Bad Idea

Postby Bad Idea » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:55 am

Anonymouse Wrote:I've used various methods, but I tend to go with functions that output text rather than just a list of strings.

So for example I'll have:
Code: Select All Code
function ask_question() {
    writeLine("Do you like eggs?");
    addOption("Yes", ask_question_yes);
    addOption("No", ask_question_no);
}

function ask_question_yes() {}
function ask_question_no() {}

Interesting technique. My main reason for using a list of strings was because it started as a big block of static content. I needed something I could just type paragraph after paragraph of text into. I do have some functions that can be triggered by a keyword, but generally I only write a function if I'm planning on calling it from more than one place in my code.

Anonymouse Wrote:It has its downsides, but the advantage is that when implementing something I'm not limited by what features/parser tags are coded in, I can do anything in a function that I want.

I guess the main feature I require for this sort of thing is If/Else statements. If you don't have those, you are quite limited in what you can do.

Well, yeah. I'm going to need that later on. What I'll probably do, is add bang symbols for getters and setters, and then pack that kind of if/else handling into the parsing of the getter add another type of choice where the computer picks from multiple outcomes based on the value retrieved / the player's past behavior.

Either way, yeah, you want to be able to make callbacks to those choices later.
Bad Idea

Postby Bad Idea » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:02 am

Hey all! Sorry for posting again so soon, but I just wanted to let you all know that the latest version is live for $5 contributors on the Patreon page. Hope to see you there.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a preloader yet. I'll be adding that tomorrow or as soon as possible. I just plain ran out of time tonight to work on it.

Right now you can gawk at the dialogue system and enjoy 'testing' its first single, simple first choice on as many NPCs as you like as whatever demon you feel like building. Enjoy, and if you do happen to take the plunge, let me know how it went. ;)
Bad Idea

Postby Bad Idea » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:03 am

Added a preloader to the current (30mb) build on Patreon. Also uploaded a version without music.

Will do the same with files here on LOK, provided I can find the fla from those builds.

Thanks fot Biles for this very sensible suggestion. Sorry the implementation took this long.
Bad Idea

Postby Biles » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:32 am

BTW I'm curious, do you draw all artworks on Flash or do you use a different vector drawing program like Illustrator?
Biles' Animation Kit

Current RPs:
n/a
Biles

Postby Bad Idea » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:06 am

Directly in Flash. Sometimes I need to add straight lines intersecting with my curves to keep them from behaving strangely during editing.

I own CS3 and CS6, but I've been using CS3 because it's generally faster and more responsive on this computer.
Bad Idea

Postby Biles » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:28 am

Well in that case, here's a tip when drawing in Flash and/or Illustrator. Be sure to use as minimal amounts of anchor points because so much excess can make any flash bloated. It may even require finding a different way of drawing things too.
Biles' Animation Kit

Current RPs:
n/a
Biles

Postby Bad Idea » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:56 am

Good tip! Yeah, I'm already keeping things as minimalistic as I can, as much for style reasons as compression. I always start with a rectangle or a circle and never use any of the ink drawing tools. If a line starts getting too curvy while I'm adjusting it, I'll Straighten, snap points to other points, and curve it out again,

The main game file is actually only 270kb if I disable the music export. It has nothing to do with the code or art assets, more the fact that Flash's insane sound compression techniques insist on turning a couple of 3-megabyte mp3s into a 30 meg swf file for some reason unless you completely butcher the sound quality.
Bad Idea

Public source code release

Postby Bad Idea » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:49 pm

Real life sucks sometimes, doesn't it? Apologies for the long silence. I've released the full source of the current build, minus one or two freely available files which I've explained how to find on the internet. As always, see the OP for links and description. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in animating characters from the 3/4 perspective. The kudgy AS2 code... most of you can probably ignore unless you're morbidly curious.

Oh, and I see only 150 people noticed the non-open-source version of this build. That's my bad for neglecting to bump the thread last time I did an update.

I'm really not sure what's going to happen next with this project. I'm really proud of the animation and the technology (even implemented as it is in AS2,) but the gameplay and story just aren't coming together for me. Something needs to change and I'm not sure what. More information as it becomes availible.
Bad Idea

Re: Demon Dreams ( Source Code release! 2015-9-27 )

Postby Dead2112man » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:46 am

Well come back, and it's ok, many people go silent for a while. Time to play and tell you what I think.
I might not create games, but I will test them, Then I will give advice on what I think needs to be added, removed, or improved.
Official bug tester of Dark Impulses, creators of pokemorph:Pink
Dead2112man

Postby Bad Idea » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:01 pm

I appreciate it, Deadman.

Currently, it's more of a technology test than a game. I've got animations, character customization, a map screen, and a rough visual-novel style engine implemented. Actually turning it into a game is more difficult than I bargained for. I made the mistake of starting with a lofty story idea, (Succubi presented as symbiotes rather than parasites) rather than an entertaining core mechanic, so it's possible I've been iterating in the wrong direction all this time. I welcome any feedback you can offer.
Bad Idea

Postby Viperious » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:46 pm

Any updates?
Viperious
Newly Registered

PreviousNext

Return to Flash Projects