Bowser's Castle II

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: New Bower's Castle

Postby Bad Idea » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:51 am

That's another thing. In general when creating these kinds of games, try to go pure-mouse or pure-keyboard, with all the keys grouped close together. You know, for... egonomics. >.>
Demon Dreams - WIP thread - Because those fantasies had to come from somewhere.
Bad Idea

Postby Residentlover2 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:03 pm

Im tired of peach x bowser shit, playshapes loved it but I hate it!, is possible to avoid the scenes? I mean by doing something to save peach from that idiot? Or this will be something completely different?
English is not my main language :P
Residentlover2

Postby dndman997 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Residentlover2 Wrote:Im tired of peach x bowser shit, playshapes loved it but I hate it!, is possible to avoid the scenes? I mean by doing something to save peach from that idiot? Or this will be something completely different?

its because thats classic mario.
dndman997

Postby VintageBass » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:59 pm

Residentlover2 Wrote:Im tired of peach x bowser shit, playshapes loved it but I hate it!, is possible to avoid the scenes? I mean by doing something to save peach from that idiot? Or this will be something completely different?

I don't know, perhaps if he was written a bit better then he wouldn't be an idiot. After all, there are times when he had his moments, and then how is he able to keep his empire running if he's an idiot. Granted given it's about Mario and he's the bad guy, of course he's going to lose in the end, but don't underestimate Bowser.

dndman997 Wrote:its because thats classic mario.

Indeed. There could be other things in there, but this pretty much summarizes a lot.
"Just because you can put your dick in it, it doesn't mean you can fuck it"
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby Residentlover2 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:07 pm

I don't know, perhaps if he was written a bit better then he wouldn't be an idiot. After all, there are times when he had his moments, and then how is he able to keep his empire running if he's an idiot. Granted given it's about Mario and he's the bad guy, of course he's going to lose in the end, but don't underestimate Bowser.

I hope nintendo kills the character one day, i dont care about him, mario`s game sucks because of this (the history dont advance because of him and is always stuck on the kidnaps and shit) but thats not important I was asking if peach will be fucked by bowser (obligation) so then I can decide if play this or not.... :roll:
English is not my main language :P
Residentlover2

Postby VintageBass » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:19 pm

Residentlover2 Wrote:I hope nintendo kills the character one day, i dont care about him, mario`s game sucks because of this (the history dont advance because of him and is always stuck on the kidnaps and shit)

Well if they did get rid of him, then do expect a ton of angry fans to come out of this, and I'll be gladly point to you to unleash their hate on. :) After all, what's wrong with rooting for the villain now and then? The games aren't bad because of him, his character changes depending on the situation he's put in, and part of it does follow a formula as old as pretty much time itself: villain kidnaps girl, hero goes rescue the girl, rinse and repeat. It's all in the writing that could make or break a character.

Residentlover2 Wrote:but thats not important I was asking if peach will be fucked by bowser (obligation) so then I can decide if play this or not.... :roll:

Well if this is going to be like the original game then it could be through the videos that you'll get from Toads, and I'm not sure what from there. And this is just a guess, but there might be a scene between Mario and Peach, but I have absolutely no idea about what's going into this. For all I know that could change... but at least I got an idea why it could stay.
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby Terrantor!!! » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:45 pm

Gonna have to be honest with you, residentlover. There's no avoiding the peach bowser mario story arc. However, w/ the way I'm planning to build the game, I'm sure the entire thing can be completely avoided. I'm hoping to give Peach a shred of integrity in this build however. For example, she's not going to blatantly enjoy Bowser's company in the messages received. She'll actually just be more reluctantly giving into Bowser's will to prevent punishment of other nintendo princesses. In other news, it seems like my animator will be opting out for the time being. Let me know if you're interested in the job. If I can't find One, I'm gonna have to kill this project because I cannot animate. However, I will be working on a VX Ace remake of MythComplex's Mythcomplexity. If you've never played it, I recommend it as it has some pretty neat scenes. :)
Terrantor!!!

Postby VintageBass » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:21 am

Terrantor!!! Wrote:Gonna have to be honest with you, residentlover. There's no avoiding the peach bowser mario story arc.

Also I would like to add that Bowser is pretty much at the same level as other video game characters where he's just too iconic of a character to get rid of. Sure it's possible to make a game without him, but if someone knows what they're doing then they could do amazing things with the guy.

That and he literally cannot die. No, really, he can't. Even chucking him into a freaking black hole isn't enough to kill him. He will find a way to come back. Mostly due to him being that iconic of a villain, and whatever reasoning in the universe. But yeah, that's all I gotta say on that.

Terrantor!!! Wrote:I'm hoping to give Peach a shred of integrity in this build however. For example, she's not going to blatantly enjoy Bowser's company in the messages received. She'll actually just be more reluctantly giving into Bowser's will to prevent punishment of other nintendo princesses.

Well that's kinda neat. It does play off the fact that why would Peach be enjoying that sort of stuff while she waits for her knight to come rescue her. She doesn't like the idea of being captured, and at one point she made an escape (but got captured again). It's not like Stockholm Syndrome is in effect all the time with her, so it's refreshing to see an attempt to do that instead of Peach enjoying it.

Terrantor!!! Wrote:In other news, it seems like my animator will be opting out for the time being. Let me know if you're interested in the job. If I can't find One, I'm gonna have to kill this project because I cannot animate. However, I will be working on a VX Ace remake of MythComplex's Mythcomplexity.

Oh wow, that's bad. Well I can't help with that since I'm more of a writer and I don't know how to animate anything. Good luck in the search for someone to help you on that and also good luck on the other game you're working on.
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby Terrantor!!! » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:31 am

Well writing is another thing I need done. Go ahead and put your ideas in rezi's google doc.
Terrantor!!!

Postby omp123 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:57 am

Yo, I'm pretty much re-writing a post I just made. If you want your game to work a lot better, use a separate, invisible square hitbox for Mario, and use simple square platforms for the actual collision, and place the graphical elements over the top on another layer. Don't use curved platforms unless you know what you're doing, it'll save you many headaches.

Also, like in my other post, if you can find a way to make your character hitbox detect when a platform or wall is a certain distance away and, if it's in that range, continue moving at a rate of 1 pixel at a time until you touch the surface of the platform, you'll essentially create a platform detection that will "brace" for impact and ensure you don't clip through your boxes when moving at a certain speed.
omp123

Postby Terrantor!!! » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:54 pm

I'm actually pretty comfortable with my hit detection system. It is very smooth and makes precision plat forming possible. Ordinary bounding box collision is very easy to code but very difficult to play with. So the method I'm going with is using the community to find glitches so I can fix them. U'd be surprised how far that's come for me. Check my older posts and u'll realize how cool the engine is compared to my past submissions.
Terrantor!!!

Postby FurrinGok » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:34 pm

Bad Idea Wrote:Oh, I'm actually a righty, I just watch a lot of Extra Credits. :) Unfortunately, Right mouse button doesn't exist in Flash. In your web browser, it just opens a menu. There are ways around this but they involve hacking the exe after a standalone compile, or putting javascript on the webpage displaying the swf that converts right mouse clicks into callbacks that triggers some other kind of Event within the SWF. Generally not recommended unless you do your own hosting.

Actually, Flash can support the right mouse button, and a lot of games actually use it, but as to how they go about doing that, I don't know.
Gangs n' Whores' Resident Grammar Hitler, head honcho of the Grammar Nazis. Don't ask why it's me, the others called me that.
FurrinGok
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Clairite » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:36 am

FurrinGok Wrote:Actually, Flash can support the right mouse button, and a lot of games actually use it, but as to how they go about doing that, I don't know.

You got me interested in this, and a quick search had me find three examples that may or may not be that helpful.

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2012/06/04/easily-handle-right-mouse-button-in-flash-movies/
http://inflagrantedelicto.memoryspiral. ... h-content/
http://www.leebrimelow.com/quick-tip-ne ... use-event/
Clairite

Postby Terrantor!!! » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:58 am

right click functionality would be great to disable players from skipping to ending frames and such, lol. I'm actually thinking about using it in a zelda-fashion, where you can register equipment to each button and use that equipment when assigned button is pressed. This'll be for another, more interactive game, of course.
Anyways, I haven't done much on the game, so far. It seems you guys fixed all the bugs for me and I don't wanna build another level w/o props/ anims. So I'm predicting this one going the way of the spatformer. Only I'm giving out he source pretty soon. Just gonna consolidate everything to classes so all you guys have to do is drag n drop. It's been epic, though.
Terrantor!!!

Postby tenkinos » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:35 pm

I have seen a vr. with the the krystal scene having let you fuck her again after halfway out and able to progress the samus scene some. But i can't find it now for the life of me cuz I forgot to fav. it does anyone know where to find it?
tenkinos

Postby Anonymouse » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:19 am

Actually, Flash can support the right mouse button, and a lot of games actually use it, but as to how they go about doing that, I don't know.

The exact same way it does left clicks. Throw down an event listener for MouseEvent.RIGHT_CLICK when targeting at least Flash Player 11.4. It overrides the right click menu behaviour, ie the menu will appear iff you have no right click listeners.
Anonymouse

Postby Dead2112man » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:18 am

So, did we run out of things to comment and update, or just taking the summer or more off till we get back to this project?
I might not create games, but I will test them, Then I will give advice on what I think needs to be added, removed, or improved.
Official bug tester of Dark Impulses, creators of pokemorph:Pink
Dead2112man

Postby Terrantor!!! » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:38 am

Hey, man. Good point. The truth is I don't think this project evolved correctly. I have ppl still posting about the old game in the new forum. I'm definitely on break til my animator get's off vacation. If anyone feels up to fill his slot, feel free to knab it. I'll keep the status posted in the thread title, though so when an update finds its way to the top you'll know about it. It's been good livin with ya wa-how!
Terrantor!!!

Re: [recruiting]New Bower's Castle[on standby]

Postby mayfly » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Hey, I've never drawn an environment before, but I know my way around vector. Shoot me an e-mail at [REMOVED] with some examples of what you are looking for, and I'll see if I can help out.

[MOD EDIT]
mayfly
Newly Registered

Re: [recruiting]New Bower's Castle[on standby]

Postby Terrantor!!! » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:16 pm

Sent you a message. :D
Terrantor!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Flash Projects