Bowser's Castle II

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Bowser's Castle II

Postby Terrantor!!! » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:20 am

Added:
-Doors

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

controls: wasd/arrow keys move and zoom, shift+z resets position, and space jumps

Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

Bowser's C.swf [ 394.6 KiB | Viewed 6275 times ]

Last edited by Terrantor!!! on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:46 am, edited 9 times in total.
Terrantor!!!

Re: New Bower's Castle

Postby IxFa » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:14 am

Very bouncing. Colliding with stuff makes the player fling around quite a bit. Good luck with this though, I give you what moral support I can
I've notably written for Corruption of Champions, as well as other projects to a minor extent. My alias is always IxFa.
Current project(s): LAH's New Blog, Short Stories, Game Scenes
Commissions: Open
Requests: Open
IxFa

Postby FurrinGok » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:07 am

Okay, taking notes: Once you zoom in, the zoom out doesn't work to the full extent--you'll still be about half zoomed in until you close and reopen the game.
Jumping just outside the (Nonexistant) castle gate: I'm standing on top of the long platform of bricks, and... Wait, it stopped once I moved, but I was bouncing back and forth a few pixels horizontally when jumping. I cannot seem to reproduce this issue, so it was probably a one-off, rare instance. It seems to reproduce at random. Every now and then when I am at the location, it starts happening again.
Bouncy collision: Just as IxFa has noted, bumping into things gets a harsh bounceback. This makes platforming under a roof difficult, because if you hit the ceiling, you not only stop rising, you actually get accelerated downwards rather than losing your momentum.
Gangs n' Whores' Resident Grammar Hitler, head honcho of the Grammar Nazis. Don't ask why it's me, the others called me that.
FurrinGok
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby rezian » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:08 am

I am still very interested in writing.
Here's what I have so far:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MDu ... sp=sharing
rezian

Postby Terrantor!!! » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:25 pm

I look forward to hearing more from you, Rez. as for the buggies, I appreciate the feedback. I'm sure I know what the problem is, now it's just a matter of finding a way to fix it. I can fix the vertical recoil, I won't be able to change the horizontal recoil w/o breaking the current setup, so what I can do is lower the max running velocity, so you'll move a bit slower, but you won't have so much bounceback. Would that be alright?
Terrantor!!!

Postby KingKaor » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:08 pm

Other than the bugs that Furrin and IxFa have noted (which I was able to reproduce), I haven't noted any major bugs. There is one thing with Mario/Luigi/whoever's momentum: When switching directions, holding down the key in the new direction you want to go causes you to go sliding away in the original direction you were moving in. Not holding it down causes you to lose any and all momentum whatsoever. I've also seen that, when you fall from really high up (I saw it happen at the "castle" "gate" from the highest up platform to the lowest ones) you'll phase through the platforms.

Also, I'd suggest making the zoom function on a toggle, rather than having to hold it down. Or possibly have a little button-menu-thing that lets you select between multiple levels of zoom. Just some ideas for it, I understand it's still VERY early on.

Honestly, I really want to help see this get made.
KingKaor

Postby Terrantor!!! » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:18 am

Bump.
Forgot to put this. set it to low quality as of now, because I forgot to optimize it. Don't worry it runs a lot faster as a bitmap.
Terrantor!!!

Postby Terrantor!!! » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:42 am

Yay, you can choose costumes, now.
Terrantor!!!

Postby tzm25jeep » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:47 am

So if I wanted to try the game, where would I find the post for it?
tzm25jeep
Newly Registered

Postby konamicode13 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:40 am

Collisions really have gotten a lot better, great work!
konamicode13

Postby MPLDAM9919 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:46 am

The prototype looks good. But I can't stand the controls! The "WSAD" key set up isn't for everyone. Maybe have a control option like Ivan put in PUT.
MPLDAM9919

Postby Allsop2604 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:14 pm

Stupid question: How do I get through the green pipe? Or is there no other content in this yet?
^.^
Allsop2604

Postby Terrantor!!! » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:21 pm

I'm actually working on the current map, still. So I don't have a map to transport u to. But don't worry, i anticipate that it will be functional, by the end of this week.
Terrantor!!!

Postby Matpneumatos » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:31 am

MPLDAM9919 Wrote:The prototype looks good. But I can't stand the controls! The "WSAD" key set up isn't for everyone. Maybe have a control option like Ivan put in PUT.

Why? what's wrong with WASD keys? i first didn't like them but now i always prefer WASD because they are more comfortable for me, and because they are on the far left of the keyboard just like a D-pad or an analog stick on a console controller.
Matpneumatos

Postby Dead2112man » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:24 pm

Thank you for making a new page Terrantor!!
Dead2112man

Postby Bad Idea » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:14 pm

Left-handed people sometimes put the mouse on the left side of the keyboard. Which means in order to use mouse + WASD, they need to move their keyboard way over to the far right side of their desk. On a laptop, you can't even move the keyboard relative to the screen, so they have no other option but to reach up and to the left with their dominant hand, while using their off-hand to work the mousepad.

This is actually part of why many PC games use both WASD and the Arrow Keys. It provides one movement option on each side of the keyboard, so the player can comfortably use whichever hand they want.
Bad Idea

Postby jaznow » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:16 pm

Terrantor!!! Wrote:Hey, there!
In other news, this version is a little more pleasing to the ear. The peach is my anim not my pro's so don't judge him. I'mma prob take a break from this one in a bit and pursue unity development. It's been a fun ride. Message me for the .fla

Bowser's Castle.swf

Rezi's googledocs discussion on the story: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MDu ... 7M2Zg/edit

Awesome Job, Terranator, it looks awesome, and it runs smooth, Keep it up!
jaznow
Newly Registered

Postby Terrantor!!! » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:54 pm

Bad Idea Wrote:Left-handed people sometimes put the mouse on the left side of the keyboard. Which means in order to use mouse + WASD, they need to move their keyboard way over to the far right side of their desk. On a laptop, you can't even move the keyboard relative to the screen, so they have no other option but to reach up and to the left with their dominant hand, while using their off-hand to work the mousepad.

This is actually part of why many PC games use both WASD and the Arrow Keys. It provides one movement option on each side of the keyboard, so the player can comfortably use whichever hand they want.

Acknowledged and currently tweaking. Good observation. Do you lefties still use the left mouse button to click?
Terrantor!!!

Postby Bad Idea » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:17 am

Oh, I'm actually a righty, I just watch a lot of Extra Credits. :) Unfortunately, Right mouse button doesn't exist in Flash. In your web browser, it just opens a menu. There are ways around this but they involve hacking the exe after a standalone compile, or putting javascript on the webpage displaying the swf that converts right mouse clicks into callbacks that triggers some other kind of Event within the SWF. Generally not recommended unless you do your own hosting.
Bad Idea

Postby coolness32 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:41 am

MPLDAM9919 Wrote:The prototype looks good. But I can't stand the controls! The "WSAD" key set up isn't for everyone. Maybe have a control option like Ivan put in PUT.

I second this, I prefer to use the Single right-hand in PUT. It's actually kind of personalized for me since I helped Ivan with the scheme of how it is now. When playing these types of games, I use my right hand on the keyboard for movement and my left is used for...non-keyboard functions...
coolness32

Next

Return to Flash Projects