Breeding Season: Alpha Version 5.3 [Update 11/3/14]

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: Breeding Season: Alpha Version 5.3 [Update 11/3/14]

Postby Cobalt » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:38 pm

Chaotos Wrote:So from the sounds of it, BS is back. Rebuilding from the ground up but back? If so I'm beyond happy. I've liked the game even from the early stages. Lets hope lessons have been learned and it goes right this time.

BS is not back. What is discussed here may result in different projects. I have started one, currently using the codename Project Blue. If you want to see something specific (like chosing the gender of your main character), post them in the Project Blue thread and we take your ideas into account!

Chaotos Wrote:If you need a new artist I've scouted one or two from a 'certain site' I go to. I haven't contacted them or anything but look like promising leads:
https://e621.net/post/index/1/oo_sebastian_oo
https://e621.net/post/index/1/feretta

We surely need artists! Do you know the two you have postet here? Or do you know how to contact them?
Cobalt

Postby evildumdum » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:47 pm

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer in terms of reviving this game as long as the team is competent. As far as i see it is an issue of practicality. I will try to be impartial as possible when laying out what i am seeing in my own and cobalts visions for the game so do let me know if i misrepresent anything.

Cobalt:

Wants to create a core engine, with editors allowing anyone to create content for the game as a priority. The core team will then direct and assimilate community made content into the game.

Pro's:
Potentially huge amount of content created for the game.
High community participation.
Lessend pressure on the core team to create content themselves after the initial launch of the editors, increased pressure on those communicating with the community to create content good enough to be used in game.

Con's:
In my experience a high risk of a patchwork of different content that doesn't quite fit, and unfinished work from creators that never quite finished.
Games that use this format have erratic progress rates and a high risk of stagnation after the initial interest in creating new content wanes.
Creating the initial editors would take a lot of initial input.

Myself:
Want to assemble a core team that wants to revive the game, but with nothing set in concrete until a suitable team has looked at their skill set, desires and commitment to the project.

Pro's:
Initially far more flexible in the design, though once agreed upon would be less flexible compared to cobalts.
Progress more consistent in quality, output rate and design. Less risk of stagnation.

Con's:
Requires high levels of commitment from core team as all content would come from them.
Less scope for direct community contribution, though no reason community members can't ask to help and be given non-urgent work.

I would stress that i don't think Coblat is going to be entirely reliant on the community, just as mine may at some point have an editor to allow community creation. This was more a summary of our starting priorities.
"If at first you don't succeed, try hitting it with a shoe."

Coder for Code Bunny Studio's working AOB: Monster Rising
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7304
evildumdum

Postby ValturNaa » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:51 pm

VintageBass Wrote:If you want Valtur, you can leave the ideas to me and have me handle the writing. While I do have other projects in the works, I do have plenty of free time on my hands and there's no immediate rush to get things done. I am pretty creative for the most part and can do just as well as you in terms of creating the world, main characters and the like. At the very lest it's what I can do best. Heck I can handle other writings in the process, basically descriptions, dialogue, and fun little things in the background...

If you want to take on that role, you'll have no objections from me. I merely see a gap in the story and try to fill it with something that makes sense to me. And as head writer, if you like the ideas I proposed, feel free to use them, modify them, or whatever. If you want any help, suggestions, or brainstorming, just let me know. I'll help if I'm needed, and just watch eagerly if I'm not needed.
I'm not mad. I'm only forty and eighty percent crazy, and that's split between two personalities, which makes me almost half sane.
ValturNaa

Postby evildumdum » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:47 pm

ValturNaa Wrote:
VintageBass Wrote:If you want Valtur, you can leave the ideas to me and have me handle the writing. While I do have other projects in the works, I do have plenty of free time on my hands and there's no immediate rush to get things done. I am pretty creative for the most part and can do just as well as you in terms of creating the world, main characters and the like. At the very lest it's what I can do best. Heck I can handle other writings in the process, basically descriptions, dialogue, and fun little things in the background...

If you want to take on that role, you'll have no objections from me. I merely see a gap in the story and try to fill it with something that makes sense to me. And as head writer, if you like the ideas I proposed, feel free to use them, modify them, or whatever. If you want any help, suggestions, or brainstorming, just let me know. I'll help if I'm needed, and just watch eagerly if I'm not needed.

To me at least, having more than one person writing means that there are people to moderate each other and bounce idea's off. I think if you both worked on it between you you'd produce better content.

evildumdum

Postby evildumdum » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:54 pm

Chaotos Wrote:If you need a new artist I've scouted one or two from a 'certain site' I go to. I haven't contacted them or anything but look like promising leads:
https://e621.net/post/index/1/oo_sebastian_oo
https://e621.net/post/index/1/feretta

Scouting artists is great, but we need people who are already fans of the game of at least like the idea of it and have the time to commit. It would be a good idea if you contacted artists before passing out their details just in case. Good work on finding them however.

evildumdum

Postby DaveMcDavidson » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:14 pm

the game is dead
DaveMcDavidson

Postby VintageBass » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:23 pm

DaveMcDavidson Wrote:the game is dead

And yet there are people who express interest in making a new game based on what was laid out before hand. You came on to just say this? Um, I feel you need to express a little more than that, but we are trying to work out ideas for a new game that could be the next Breeding Season. Something that we can call it our own, to give it a new life and to allow it to continue on in a new form for everyone to enjoy, something that can be played without having shady people come in and cut away at it to leave it a former shell of what it once was. Or maybe not leave it to rot like many other games as there are good ideas out there and many people want to play it.

Technically no, this game isn't dead. It's gone into slumber and we're going to wake it up in a new form. You may like it, you may hate it. It's just how things go.
"Just because you can put your dick in it, it doesn't mean you can fuck it"
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby shames90210 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:19 pm

Hey from the ashes anything can rise as a phoenix when the spark of life is breathed back into it.

From the looks of things at the very least people are going to create more things to work on and thats always good.

While I'm sad to see something end its good to also see things beginning.
shames90210

Postby Deathisnotanoption » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:14 am

I'm glad for how many people are actually trying to revive this game, truthfully. Although one of my earlier replies were quite sour to Vladimir(s-purple) I'd like to retract that statement if he dare ever reads it. H-bomb played a very big part in the projects downfall. Although this situation seems like a whole dramatic fest to me now.

I'd love to lend a helping hand, to be fully honest, although I believe my own skills may not be of use, my team would probably be willing if requested for side help in any projects. They are busy, but all of them are quite familiar with programming in various things. (Although I believe we mostly use Unity, they are familiar with others. )
Deathisnotanoption
Newly Registered

Postby ElPresidente » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:18 pm

If anyone attempts to reviv it take my advice.

Trim it down. Focus on getting a simple core up and running. Remove all the variants that complicate things.

genderbet - remove, have monsters either male or female. Can add later if necessary

feral - remove, have monsters feral or not, can add later

futa- the simplest variation, and for females only, so it should be minimal work compared to others, so keep I guess.

gremlins - fuck em. Poinltess. remove.

neotiny - possibly add later? Again, not necessary for the core, when you can have "neotiny" monsters (not as a variant)
ElPresidente

Postby ElPresidente » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:32 pm

ValturNaa Wrote:Agreed. A new story can be as in-depth, as grand, or as far-reaching as the game project requires, and I for one am all in favor of story-driven gaming. I'm liking the idea of nations bathed in war, as this gives you a context in which to breed powerful gladiator monsters rather than the simple improvement of stats and increased sale prices. Swap the Guild for the national guard/army as your main buyer of monsters and a source of tokens which are used as alternate currency, throw in a handful of neighboring monster breeders who will periodically want to buy, sell, or trade monsters, and you have a pretty involved structure for the same basic breeding mechanics. And of course there can still be locals who just want a monster to fuck. Anything above that only adds to the grandeur of the game. I have several unpublished game worlds already that this could easily fit into, although I'd imagine you'd want something new for this.

As for combat, a gladiator style works and it would be awesome to have an arena where the same monster battles numerous opponents in sequence until it finally "faints" in defeat, or defeats all comers and is named champion. Based on how well it does, you could sell it much more than usual. However, I had been thinking something of a turn based strategy might be interesting for larger battles. Not necessarily Heroes of Might and Magic style, but maybe a similar theme, with unique units rather than stacks of standard ones. Or, if stacks are employed, the total stats of the stack would be derived somehow from the stats of the monsters that make it up--something like that, so it still makes sense to breed the strongest monsters you can. I'm wondering if the two can coexist and how much extra work that would be.

If combat is to be implemented, however, a decision needs to be made. Will the monsters be magical (and what kind of magic will they wield) or simply brute-force attackers? The original BS monsters would work well with the latter, between the teeth and the claws and the hooves that almost all of them have. If it's to have magical attacks then the monsters need magical types, and that will require some interaction between the types.

Combat is fine too, but that would only work for some monsters. (a neotiny harpy isn't going to overpower anyone, and males would have a big advantage)

Thus, monsters for various purposes - combat, companionship, breeding, housekeeping, etc.
Monsters being able to learn some very basic skills (they are not as smart as humans after all) or having traits

Other thoughts:
- daily cost for running a farm (food isn't free)
- monsters/assistants that can lower the daily cost or have other effects.
- cost is calculated per monster (think Free Cities and slaves)

For example:
neat - monster with this trait cleans up after itself, freeing more time for the breeder and slightly reducing upkeep
slob - monster with this trait makes a mess

housebroken - a monster with this skill lowers upkeep and makes for a better companion (more cash when selling as companion)
assistant - a monster trained to assist. If placed in assistant position, lowers the upkeep cost of all mosnters
ElPresidente

Postby VintageBass » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:52 pm

ElPresidente Wrote:genderbet - remove, have monsters either male or female. Can add later if necessary

And why not have it as a primary feature? All we need to do is set up a general name for a monster species and then work from there. Also, we're betting on genders?

ElPresidente Wrote:feral - remove, have monsters feral or not, can add later

Wouldn't wild monsters be feral?

ElPresidente Wrote:futa- the simplest variation, and for females only, so it should be minimal work compared to others, so keep I guess.

But females only doesn't quite work if futa is going to be both genders... (I'm being silly here)

ElPresidente Wrote:gremlins - fuck em. Poinltess. remove.

This is a thing?

ElPresidente Wrote:neotiny - possibly add later? Again, not necessary for the core, when you can have "neotiny" monsters (not as a variant)

Maybe have a children mode to train up, possibly not do anything sexual with them since ew. It could be something down the line to have, maybe, I dunno, seems gross.
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby evildumdum » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:57 pm

The general consensus, and i agree with it, is that monster variations should be mostly under the surface personality things rather than physical to begin with.

I am at a point where i have a small team willing to work with me that has a skill set good enough to re-boot the game. We could do with one or two more artists joining us before we officially start anything however. If you are an artist and want to be part of a re-boot team, please message me.

evildumdum

Postby Chaotos » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:11 pm

Can someone please post a link to the project blue page?
Chaotos
Newly Registered

Postby VintageBass » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:14 pm

Chaotos Wrote:Can someone please post a link to the project blue page?

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6878
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby LairdEnvy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:19 am

Oh wow, there seem to be several new Breeding Season style projects since I last checked.
I've got about a 3rd of an engine in Java, a rough story outline and some (rather basic) scenery art done, but seeing how there's already a lot of projects on the way
I reckon I should contribute towards one of the current ones in preference to starting my own.
LairdEnvy
Newly Registered

Postby VintageBass » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:26 am

LairdEnvy Wrote:Oh wow, there seem to be several new Breeding Season style projects since I last checked.
I've got about a 3rd of an engine in Java, a rough story outline and some (rather basic) scenery art done, but seeing how there's already a lot of projects on the way
I reckon I should contribute towards one of the current ones in preference to starting my own.

Well if you got an engine going, them maybe you could help out with the one we're working on right now, that can certainly be appreciated! :)
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby trunks2585 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:20 pm

First off, yes hi, I'm still around, I lurk an check on things from time to time. And you all are about to get a lecture from a bitter old member of the forums.

It's amazing what you can find on youtube, or rather what gets recommending to watch on youtube. I watch a few vids from 'the know' and then then little gem popped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP_U4OQycZc

That's right, if you guys hadn't seen in, the shit storm this caused was enough to get a little article by a youtube group. Fortunately they didn't mention the Legend of Krystal forums anywhere or they would have had a fucking goldmine of abandoned projects to report on. But personally, if this was me and my game, I'd be embarrassed as fuck to have my dirty laundry being aired about like that. And the fact that one side was actually encouraging doxxing and hacking into the dropbox with all the parts to the unfinished game? That's fucking low.

So yeah we got people saying 'oh I'm gonna finish this game, to spite such and such, oh I don't want this game to die, I'll finish it. Oh let's get a new team together!"

Are you all still that naive?

Why do you think the original LOK project failed? Why do you think most projects here fail? Why do you think I only occasionally look around these forums anymore?

All I'm asking of everyone is before you rally to make a game, consider these things. Consider where projects have gone wrong in the past and what made them fall out. If it's a team project, it was too many people working on it. If it's a solo project it's there's not enough time to work on it and a loss of motivation.

Any creative endeavor is going to take more time than you realize until you've done it once. So many of you get in over your heads, and your pride won't allow you to admit you can't do it, so you'll say you're working on it, or you'll go silent, but you can't admit you're done. Or if it's a team issue, you butt heads instead of reaching a compromise.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think GoRepeat is the only one that's actually finished projects here, and I think that was with the help of some free to use art assets made by others for other projects that got shit canned. Or maybe he has a good artist that can do the art stuff for him now, or he's doing the art himself, I don't know I haven't really kept up.

I've said my peace, I've tried to keep this as more than a pessimistic rant. Think with your minds for a moment before you think with your emotions and say you're in for working on a game, and make sure you have the time and motivation to spend countless hours working on something like this. And for the love of whatever you hold dear, try to avoid getting embarrassing articles made about you or your group on youtube.
Team Asshole
Team Story Writer

Resident Asshole
trunks2585

Postby Eronimu » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:44 pm

trunks2585 Wrote:
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

First off, yes hi, I'm still around, I lurk an check on things from time to time. And you all are about to get a lecture from a bitter old member of the forums.

It's amazing what you can find on youtube, or rather what gets recommending to watch on youtube. I watch a few vids from 'the know' and then then little gem popped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP_U4OQycZc

That's right, if you guys hadn't seen in, the shit storm this caused was enough to get a little article by a youtube group. Fortunately they didn't mention the Legend of Krystal forums anywhere or they would have had a fucking goldmine of abandoned projects to report on. But personally, if this was me and my game, I'd be embarrassed as fuck to have my dirty laundry being aired about like that. And the fact that one side was actually encouraging doxxing and hacking into the dropbox with all the parts to the unfinished game? That's fucking low.

So yeah we got people saying 'oh I'm gonna finish this game, to spite such and such, oh I don't want this game to die, I'll finish it. Oh let's get a new team together!"

Are you all still that naive?

Why do you think the original LOK project failed? Why do you think most projects here fail? Why do you think I only occasionally look around these forums anymore?

All I'm asking of everyone is before you rally to make a game, consider these things. Consider where projects have gone wrong in the past and what made them fall out. If it's a team project, it was too many people working on it. If it's a solo project it's there's not enough time to work on it and a loss of motivation.

Any creative endeavor is going to take more time than you realize until you've done it once. So many of you get in over your heads, and your pride won't allow you to admit you can't do it, so you'll say you're working on it, or you'll go silent, but you can't admit you're done. Or if it's a team issue, you butt heads instead of reaching a compromise.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think GoRepeat is the only one that's actually finished projects here, and I think that was with the help of some free to use art assets made by others for other projects that got shit canned. Or maybe he has a good artist that can do the art stuff for him now, or he's doing the art himself, I don't know I haven't really kept up.

I've said my peace, I've tried to keep this as more than a pessimistic rant. Think with your minds for a moment before you think with your emotions and say you're in for working on a game, and make sure you have the time and motivation to spend countless hours working on something like this. And for the love of whatever you hold dear, try to avoid getting embarrassing articles made about you or your group on youtube.

You are correct, the project should stay dead. The biggest problem I've seen is most "Drop out" projects is that the team or individual involved didn't have a clear scope on what he's plannin on releasing, they have a general idea on what to do and as the project goes on they falll on the same mistake a lot of games developers do, which is wanting to make a better game instead of finishing it, the reason for most of the projects failing must be that on Normal Games they have a releasing date, here the ones involved are able to do it as long as people are interested, so that need to finish the game is lost, and games are only Updated until they die.

This doesn't mean that the concept is dead, someone may want to grab on the concept and make a game, but for those interested on making that game take a close look at what happened, the developers got too greedy and that was their downfall. Create a game and focus on finishing it, not making it better, because a what should be better isn't that game, but your next one, learn from your mistakes...don't try to hide them.

Now some shameless promotion, I'm currently working on a game, if you're bored and want to take a look go ahead, it's called Maid's Desire. I don't promise you it'll be good, but that I'll finish it, out of professionalism.
Eronimu

Postby GoRepeat » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:49 pm

trunks2585 Wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think GoRepeat is the only one that's actually finished projects here, and I think that was with the help of some free to use art assets made by others for other projects that got shit canned. Or maybe he has a good artist that can do the art stuff for him now, or he's doing the art himself, I don't know I haven't really kept up.

Good to see you are alive! Stop by and be shitty more often, it gets boring around here.
Picarto LiveStream: https://picarto.tv/GoRepeat
Other Stuff: Click Here
GoRepeat

PreviousNext

Return to Flash Projects