Corta'SPLATFORMER

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: Corta'SPLATFORMER

Postby Ivan-Aedler » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:32 am

corta Wrote:Here, have a free sneak peak of a thing.

WOW, great, now the game will be much better ;)
How that tiny thing could be so important? ;) She is much sexier now!

Ivan-Aedler

Postby meinin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:52 pm

corta Wrote:
meinin Wrote:There was another bug with Ridley in the test stage where I couldn't initiate the reverse rape when his health hit half.

good find.
I changed ridley's codename a while back, the copy I took when it was corrupted was pointed to the wrong stuff.

I also found a few more glitches where the main character just disappears. Can't pinpoint exactly where, but off the top of my head, she disappears when you go up the stairs opposite the arena entrance. When that happens and I rewind the thing, her appearance changes when I want to reload my save.
meinin

Postby konamicode13 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:02 am

corta Wrote:here, have a free sneak peak of a thing.
back rude.png

Right now it looks kind of like she's got a broken neck or something. Maybe it will look better animated, but that's just what I see now.
konamicode13

Postby [Brand_Name] » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:38 am

konamicode13 Wrote:
corta Wrote:here, have a free sneak peak of a thing.
back rude.png

Right now it looks kind of like she's got a broken neck or something. Maybe it will look better animated, but that's just what I see now.

I was gonna give you sass for criticizing corta, but uhh...

It cannot be unseen, and I cannot look at the pic without snickering a little bit. It will definitely look normal animated though, I assure you.
Peace & Light
[Brand_Name]

Postby corta » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:21 pm

working on making scenes look better across the board.
body-bulges are made, naughty bits are a maybe and I'm looking into finally making an internal view.
currently in the 'look though my flash archives and see how everyone else did it, then make a hybrid of the best bits' phase.
news as it happens.

got a whole bunch of new weapons for the next update, too. (just feli, tao and morrigan's left to go)

and I can do different shading for loli size, now.
howzis, pedos? it's been a while since I've got any hatemail :lol:

brb v&.png
brb v&.png (48.91 KiB) Viewed 4418 times

konamicode13 Wrote:Right now it looks kind of like she's got a broken neck or something. Maybe it will look better animated, but that's just what I see now.

[Brand_Name] Wrote:It cannot be unseen, and I cannot look at the pic without snickering a little bit. It will definitely look normal animated though, I assure you.

good/terrible news, guys.. that was just a quick pose to show off the new goods, ain't no animatin' goin' on just yet.

meinin Wrote:When that happens and I rewind the thing, her appearance changes when I want to reload my save.

when you pass the loader, the default costume and variables set themselves again.
I think I'll look up how to add a "quit to main menu" and "unstuck" options to the right-click menu.

meinin Wrote:I also found a few more glitches where the main character just disappears. Can't pinpoint exactly where, but off the top of my head, she disappears when you go up the stairs opposite the arena entrance.

can you make it happen every time?
and exactly where did it happen? there's a few sets of stairs in that area that you could be talking about..

Ivan-Aedler Wrote:WOW, great, now the game will be much better ;)
How that tiny thing could be so important? ;) She is much sexier now!

I've still got to make it fully 'action'-able.. cause this thing's gonna take a beating.. :P

Xboxman1212 Wrote:Personally, I find the loli/flat-chest option poorly made...The chest is just a complete shadow and doesn't match the skin tone of the actual character.

I am just providing my personal view, but I think that people that were hyped by the loli option will probably be disappointed...It only really works when the breasts are covered, and I think that people would rather see a flat-chested Samus naked than wearing a Zero suit

the shading works well when the girls are there, but yeah.. it was weird before, I'll give you that.

Captain Dinosaur Wrote:Hey, it might just be me, but... it says the attachment doesn't exist. :?

EDIT: Nevermind... it probably was just me.

probably to do with the caching that happens when you're not logged in.
protip: play with your url if you like it live.
..or don't, it probably makes ren angry..
:?
Active Thread: [ Flash Edits ][27th July/19]
Looking to donate? I've got pages for Patreon, SubscribeStar and Paypal.me!
corta

Postby meinin » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:14 pm

It's the left side stair going up, the one with Krystal below it.
meinin

Postby DarkHedgehog » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:31 pm

So much interesting things that are planed (or being worked on?), can't wait to see them :D

Hey, anyone know which character that has been requested the most (or appears to have been) and still isn't in the game?
Just curious...
(Hedge)Hogging It All Up!
The Darkest and Edgiest hedgehog!
DarkHedgehog

Postby Ivan-Aedler » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:49 pm

corta Wrote:
meinin Wrote:When that happens and I rewind the thing, her appearance changes when I want to reload my save.

when you pass the loader, the default costume and variables set themselves again. I think I'll look up how to add a "quit to main menu" and "unstuck" options to the right-click menu.

If I am not mistaken, games are not supposed to work like this (right click-> rewind). Its better to use the game buttons. Actually its not 'only' better, its recommended, if not obligatory.

I use this code in the first frame of the game (scene1):

Code: Select All Code
//disable right click
function mySiteLink ()
 {
 getURL("http://www.lok.com/example/CORTA PLATFORMER", "_blank");//create a new window and go to the game link
 }//end function

var rightClick:ContextMenu = new ContextMenu();//create a new right click menu called rightClick
rightClick.hideBuiltInItems();//hide the built in options of the right click menu
_root.menu = rightClick;//make the neccesary changes to the right click menu

var mySiteLink:ContextMenuItem = new ContextMenuItem("CORTA's PLATFORMER", mySiteLink);//create a custom right click tab that goes to your site when clicked.
rightClick.customItems.push(mySiteLink);//put the custom right click tab into the right click menu

And "cest fini". It works like a charm.

corta Wrote:I've still got to make it fully 'action'-able.. cause this thing's gonna take a beating.. :P

You can also create 'open-close' animations using inner parts (small movie clips) then use a goto on them, based on a variable, like _root.pussyState.
Ivan-Aedler

Postby corta » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:03 am

DarkHedgehog Wrote:Hey, anyone know which character that has been requested the most (or appears to have been) and still isn't in the game?
Just curious...

it's pretty close at the top - lara is #1 requested, then Jill.
thing is, they've got so many designs between them that we can't please everyone.. so, it's a tough choice..
they've both got more than 5x the votes of #3, though, so there's that..

if you're looking for easier, 3 4 & 5 are tali, edi then motoko.

the teen titan girls and gwen aren't actually requested -that- often, but (as we all know) they're some of the most popular girls on the internet. so, invisible votes.
same goes for the 'classic furries' renara and blaziken. (and that just feels like pandering.. not to mention that it'll be a fuss to get their parts to fit right.)
all the fotm anime girls get a ton of votes when they were new, but I don't think they've got enough staying power for even half of the voters to care anymore. opaque votes :lol:

..so, yup. totally helpful information. :roll:

DarkHedgehog Wrote:So much interesting things that are planed (or being worked on?), can't wait to see them :D

you'll be hearing 'em too :D

Ivan-Aedler Wrote:code

I'm gonna have a little play with this right now. :mrgreen:

meinin Wrote:It's the left side stair going up, the one with Krystal below it.

alrighty, I'll take a look around.
corta

Postby Mr.Lamar » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:45 pm

Saw that Mileena and Sonya Blade were requested in the character, and after playing mk 9 again, I'd like to toss Jade and Kitana in the mix, if there's enough interest for either of 'em.
Mr.Lamar

Postby Xboxman1212 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:54 pm

KOTORI MIZUKI FROM YU-GI-OH! ZEXAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Xboxman1212

Postby [Brand_Name] » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:15 pm

Or maybe Corta should stop adding characters and add enemies and plot styuffs instead...?
Peace & Light
[Brand_Name]

Postby Biles » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:35 am

[Brand_Name] Wrote:Or maybe Corta should stop adding characters and add enemies and plot styuffs instead...?

Or preferably try to have everyone who has ever submitted their approved characters go back and optimize the vector drawing of their character designs to be resubmitted.
Need some basic Flash character animations? Then stop by at:
Biles' Animation Kit

Current RPs:
n/a
Biles

Postby Lucky777 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:56 am

[Brand_Name] Wrote:Or maybe Corta should stop adding characters and add enemies and plot styuffs instead...?

Biles Wrote:

Or preferably try to have everyone who has ever submitted their approved characters go back and optimize the vector drawing of their character designs to be resubmitted.

... I actually HAVE been wondering, lately, just how much the sheer number of characters slowed down the game.
In terms of its CPU performance as opposed to the speed of its development, I mean.
But yeah, there are... JUUUUST about enough characters by this point, though I'd say go for more poses and enemies, and get melee weapons working, rather than more plot.
Lucky777

Postby Zeus Kabob » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:26 am

Lucky777 Wrote:

Biles Wrote:

... I actually HAVE been wondering, lately, just how much the sheer number of characters slowed down the game.
In terms of its CPU performance as opposed to the speed of its development, I mean.
But yeah, there are... JUUUUST about enough characters by this point, though I'd say go for more poses and enemies, and get melee weapons working, rather than more plot.

Considering an optimal situation, having an arbitrary number of character models shouldn't affect performance in any way. Considering the reality of the situation, I'd say that the increased character models will only slow down performance if the computer in question has very little RAM available for the game to utilize.
Zeus Kabob

Postby Ivan-Aedler » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:53 am

Zeus Kabob Wrote:Considering an optimal situation, having an arbitrary number of character models shouldn't affect performance in any way. Considering the reality of the situation, I'd say that the increased character models will only slow down performance if the computer in question has very little RAM available for the game to utilize.

Hmmmmm I disagree a bit with that.
In MIM PUT, when I used 'gotoAndPlay' at each 'character frame' or outfit, like this below, the game stated to slow down like 10% slower for every 10 new characters.
Playshapes used to make it like that.

[ ] [o] [ ] [o][ ] [o][ ] [o][ ] [o][ ] [o][ ] [o][ ] [o][ ] [o][ ] [o][ ] [o]
ca.....cb.....cc.....cd....ce....cf.....cg....ch.....ci.... cj....ck........ //PLEASE ignore the periods. Those are LABEL names.
[====][====][====][====][====][====][====][====][====][====]

(those === are character types, like 'samus', krystal', and other art).
You see that I used TWO frames for each art because it needs that small loop between a [o] and [ ] (that gotoAndPlay below).

Each 'o' had this code:
gotoAndPlay(_root.CHARACTER); //   _root.CHARACTER could be "ca", "cb", "cc", etc.

It works, but the problem here is that we are using that damn gotoAndPlay at every other frame. This 'slice of time' starts bugging the CPU when we have like 20, 30, 40, 50 of those '[o]'s, because Flash 'walks' along frames one by one until reaching the requested _root.CHARACTER at every checking.
So lets say the character has the current _root.CHARACTER="cz".
The code will check ca, cb, cc, cd....until reaching cz. MANY TIMES a second!

So I use code like this instead.
[o][ ] [ ][ ] [ ][ ] [ ] [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
ca cb cc cd ce cf cg ch ci cjck ........
[=][=][=][=][=][=][=][=][=][=][=][=][=]

I put this in that lonely '[o]':

stop();

onEnterFrame=function()    {  //this is an automated code that will run at every frame, even if the current movie clip is stopped.
          if (currentlabel != _root.CHARACTER)  {  //the game noticed the character changed in a given time.
          gotoAndStop(_root.CHARACTER);  //it will ONLY go to that frame ONCE, then stops there.
           currentlabel=_root.CHARACTER;  //currentlabel is set. So it wont be 'gotoandStopping' at every frame until _root.CHARACTER changes again.
        }
    }

gotoAndStop(_root.CHARACTER);  //go to the current character  ONCE, then stop there. It will run BEFORE the onEnterFrame above, because onEnterFrame will just act in the next frame onwards. So this avoid flicking (that is, the character having 'ca' character in this frame at every pose change for a fraction of a second). I force the current _root.CHARACTER here, as soon as this movie clip exists.

Now I can have like 200 frames of those ca, cb, cc...... that is, 200 characters, 200 outfits.....without any lag! ;) Thats because that 'IF checking' is not CPU intensive. I am just checking if two variables are different.
Ivan-Aedler

Postby Zeus Kabob » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:31 am

Ivan-Aedler Wrote:-detailed flash coding snip-

I could be lazy and say "that's what I was saying", but it really wasn't. In general, since you're just displaying one character there shouldn't be a performance hit just for adding optional character models, but the reality of the matter is different as you showed there.
Zeus Kabob

Postby corta » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:39 am

let's not do anything crazy, now..

speaking of crazy, the big five-zero character courtesy of an absolute lunatic.
and here's your clue:
that's a funny looking leg...png
that's a funny looking leg...png (9.65 KiB) Viewed 2747 times

Zeus Kabob Wrote:Considering an optimal situation, having an arbitrary number of character models shouldn't affect performance in any way. Considering the reality of the situation, I'd say that the increased character models will only slow down performance if the computer in question has very little RAM available for the game to utilize.

6gig+ reccomended for a 15meg .swf -- flash optimization at it's finest.

Ivan-Aedler Wrote:Code

My system is similar, just it runs without the 'if' check.

(on frame 1)
if (!_root.part) {
   gotoAndStop(2);
} else {
   gotoAndStop(_root.part*2);
}

also, you dont have to declare frame names or do any typing when you use intergers over strings.
works, resets only when you tell it to and doesnt spaz out when it's not set.
simple and effective.

Zeus Kabob Wrote:
Ivan-Aedler Wrote:-detailed flash coding snip-

I could be lazy and say "that's what I was saying", but it really wasn't. In general, since you're just displaying one character there shouldn't be a performance hit just for adding optional character models, but the reality of the matter is different as you showed there.

tl;dr fuhgeddabowdit.

Lucky777 Wrote:... I actually HAVE been wondering, lately, just how much the sheer number of characters slowed down the game.

takes me slightly longer to update characters from template to game, but it's all the same for you guys.

Biles Wrote:Or preferably try to have everyone who has ever submitted their approved characters go back and optimize the vector drawing of their character designs to be resubmitted.

I do that for everything when I'm adding them.
it's the difference between a 5 min job or an all-nighter.

Xboxman1212 Wrote:KOTORI MIZUKI FROM YU-GI-OH! ZEXAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

asymmetrical hair that won't look great at this angle from either side .. c'mon, now..

Mr.Lamar Wrote:Saw that Mileena and Sonya Blade were requested in the character, and after playing mk 9 again, I'd like to toss Jade and Kitana in the mix, if there's enough interest for either of 'em.

I'll put mil, jade and kitty over the same slot.

corta Wrote:lara is #1 requested, then Jill.

from memory, it went..
classic lara > 'new' lara > STARS jill > blue tubetop jill > blonde jill.
corta

Postby Biles » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:10 am

corta Wrote:
Biles Wrote:Or preferably try to have everyone who has ever submitted their approved characters go back and optimize the vector drawing of their character designs to be resubmitted.

I do that for everything when I'm adding them.
it's the difference between a 5 min job or an all-nighter.

But wouldn't it be great if people submitting new characters could do that before hand, or perhaps redo them as well so as to lift more burden off your shoulders?
Need some basic Flash character animations? Then stop by at:
Biles' Animation Kit

Current RPs:
n/a
Biles

Postby Zeus Kabob » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:46 am

corta Wrote:tl;dr fuhgeddabowdit.

Now my answer for everything.
Zeus Kabob

PreviousNext

Return to Flash Projects