Miner inconvenience (now accepting)

A forum for recruitment and out-of-character role-play discussion.

Re: Miner inconvenience (now accepting)

Postby devilbird » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:35 pm

If you need someone to bounce mechanic ideas off of, let me know.
devilbird

Postby LillyMacow » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:44 am

Bad news, you may have noticed the lackof an update, I have attempted to finish the mechanics several times now however, every completed system has a glaring flaw. It isn't interesting. There is no way I have found that this forward of a pvp rp can work, competition and creativity are water and oil. While I have at some level found a way they can mingle, which Is what prompted this idea originally, I don't think it is going to pan out well.
Now, through the numerous iterations on possible mechanics I have found a path that might work, however it wouldn't fit this kind of action setting. The mechanics would favor more discreet interactions, leading to a fitting setting being a masquerade party, or some kind of setting where the competion is the rp. Where you are trying to be elegenant, interesting, and sensual, to trick the other players into following along, cox someone unknowingly into your trap, or seduce someone to do your dirty work, etc.
This idea is where my new mechanics keep leading me, and honestly I think I could make a better setting out of it, and as a by product allow you, the players to make more interesting charcters. The only reason I havnt pursued this project instead, is I understand I made this rp already, and I don't want your effort to be wasted on your charcters etc.
So I would like people's opinions, should we attempt this rp as it is and see how it works out, I would bring in the mechanics, which while I don't think they will be very interesting it is possible. Or would people be intrested in switching to this other idea. Which to note I won't be putting up until its done, so there won't be confusion with edits to charcter sheets etc. as well I will give it a more deep story so people can better make charcters instead of making more generic ones, which was a point that was brought up to me by one of you. Thanks for your time, and sort for the lack of communication.
LillyMacow

Postby Fantasy Fanatic » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:31 pm

While it is sad to let an entire RP go to waste, I am okay with letting go of it if you're not sure it will work out. If your hart isn't in it, then the RP might suffer, and I wouldn't want that. If others wish to however, I am fine with attempting this RP first, but otherwise I'm alright with switching to another setting. As long as you make it easy for us to find the new thread, like posting the link for it in this thread once it's done.
Fantasy Fanatic

Postby UNdead63 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:29 am

Do what you think is right, just please don't drop this project!
UNdead63

Postby Reaver » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:27 am

I've probably said it before but an rp that embraces pvp is extremely hard to find. I'll stick around for any iteration, just don't kill yourself chasing perfection.
Renegade, Mercenary, Wielder of the Shaft of Justice, Angel-Rapist, Rp Contract Killer
He enters like a shadow, exits like a Horseman of the Apocalypse.
Seen it all, done it all.
Keeper-Senpai
Reaver

Postby devilbird » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:11 am

Could always just go the 3:16 route. Only instead of having a Fight stat and a Not Fight stat, you would have three stats. The Fight stat, the Fuck stat, and the Survival Stat.

Fight would cover combat.

Fuck would handle seduction, dominance, and things of that nature.

And Survival would handle skills like hacking or stealth.

After that, we could get abilities to augment and customize further, like feats.
devilbird

Postby LillyMacow » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:31 am

Hey everyone sorry for disapearing without a word... Again. Life hasn't been very busy recently, the project at my work just went into crunch time when I last posted so I had been working on that nearly with all my time, that ended a couple weeks ago, but after that whole mess I actually kind of forgot about this sorry. There is still lots of work I am in the middle of but my schedule is begnning to clear and I have started work on miner inconvenience once again, the lore is fleshed out and written, and the mechanics are in a state worth trying, but it is not entirely written. A post should be coming soon, but I can't make any super promises, but I will try, that I promise. Sorry ;(
LillyMacow

Postby Biles » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:51 pm

Welcome back. At least this may be a sign of good hope that this RP can take off after all this time.
Need some basic Flash character animations? Then stop by at:
Biles' Animation Kit

Current RPs:
n/a
Biles

Postby LillyMacow » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:08 am

Right, so I havnt had time to complete the rules yet, but I thought its worth showing what I have so far. To get general feedback (not specifics as they are currently incomplete, but general concepts you have concerns with).
Chacter sheet is half complete and the alien player I havnt started actually writing yet, just as a heads up.

Miner inconvenience version 3:
Mechanics:
Phases:
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Every day has three phases, numbered accordingly. Phase 1 begins with a task arrising. You may then use phase 1 to go to a facility within your platform, spending your have there will give a benefit. Once everyone has chosen a location, the rp will play out with one places in mind. Then phase 2 begins, repeat, but no new tasks will arrise unless the alien does something sneaky (will explain in detail under tasks), phase 3 repeat phase 2.

Tasks:

The gortis facility is a hard place to run, issues arise commonly, however the large and dedicated staff make sure to deal with the issues right away. However issues have been becoming more common, and more severe ever since shiva sent a party far upstream the ice caves. Now all sorts of horrible issues are arising and the staff is dwindling, it's just a matter of time until the facility falls apart.
So, the players will be given a task at the beginning of phase cycle.  Each task will look as follows:
-Title
-Description of event
-Resources needed to complete
-Failure penalty
And yes, as the infection on a floor grows tasks will become unmanageable and you might have to start to pick and choose which are worth trying for.
As just stated yo can get multiple tasks, as a floor of the facility gets more and more infected more main tasks become harder with bigger costs and more small ones arise, some even appear on later phases, like 2 or even 3, however these tasks will be simpler to complete, and less harsh when failed.

Infection:

Infection is how to keep track of the current platforms progress in the aliens favor. It will rise whenever the alien completes a quest, personally imfects someone, or worst of all a task is failed (this hurts the most). As it raises towards 50% tasks will scale to become harder and harder to complete. Once it hits 51% however the tables are flipped on you, the alien stops lurking in the shadows. Tasks will be gone but you must be in a constant combat to protect your barricades against the infection, and runs stings to try and destroy key alien structures in the now infested floor. This is called the Condemned state.

Condemned:

When a floor is condemned most of the floor is abandoned, leading many npcs behind, and in some cases even players. Your goal will flip, now you are the one lurking around. You will have built up a barricade defending what is left of the level, however it will be over run very quickly. Tasks are gone but in their place are missions, you will presented with three missions, each following the same premise, somewhere in the infected part of this floor is something beneficial if you go out and either destroy/rescue it, depending on the mission. You can try and divide and conquer these 3 missions if you want but if things go south you might have none to cover your back. These missions will include things like saving npcs and players who where left behind (not all of them many will already be lost at the start, players how ever you will always be given at least one chance to save if they have been infected at any-point on that floor.
Stealth is key, when going on a mission, you will be vastly out numbered by aliens, so you must be quite and sneak through to the objective, if things get loud there is an escape route,  there are short range teleporters strewn about the facility, in the conned districts hey will be running at minimum power meaning you can only teleport one person at a time, having to wait a phase between each teleport. This means that you will likely lose atleast a few people trying to hold out while people teleport, so try to be stealthy.

Player "death":

If the alien player dies, it's over, humans win, unless there is a second fully developed alien, in which case you become an alpha feral alien (more on this if it ever actually happens). If a human is infected however here is the process: when infected you will join the alien players team, at any point if you are found out then the humans can try and cure you, note that you shouldn't try and game this, try to actually help the alien by hiding. Meaning you will try and sabotage the human team, while pretending to be on there side. Then at 51% of the infection you will be forced to wander into the infected districts whee you will be cocooned. At this state, even if players can try and rescue you, and then revert you back to a human player, if they fail, then you become a full blown alien, gaining all of the abilities that come with it, at this point you can not be saved. In the I between, where you are just stuck in a cacoon you will be playing as the security forced on the barricade, it is pretty throw away roll, just gives you some fun action while you wait or either outcome to your fate. If you lose one of the marines you are laying as you just switch to another, alternatively, you can just take a break from the rp and wait to see what happens if you don't want to play the marines.

Lore:
Kabaong:

An icy planet on the border of human expansion, it is one of two planets in its solar system. Kabaong is just outside of he habitable zone leaving it as a wasteland, there is no oxygen, no running water, and thus no life. However the world beneath the icy surface tells a different story. Deep under the ground is an expansive cavern of ice carved by liquid water, down here the heat of the planet seems to be melting some of the ice. As for oxygen, there is very little, but that wasn't enough to stop ever trying life to begin to grow.

S.H.I.V.A:

Shiva is the scientific branch of mining mogul the spans across this derelict region of space. Their purpose is supposedly to sample planets for new materials to mine, but there interest in a planet made up of ice and stone seems like an odd choice for them to set up a multi billion dollar facility. Regarding shivas work in the past very little is known, they where added only 20 years ago to Henson Mining Corps divisions and other then their original announcement to the press they have been silent about all findings leading many to wonder why HMC bothers paying them so much. In any case Shiva is certainly more then it is letting on.

Henson Mining Corporation: 

Founded by George Henson, a man who supposedly was raised under humble roots as a miner himself. He rose to the top of his small mining company and then tore it down, building something much larger in its place, HMC. His new mining company exploded, growing from a small single planet facility to a monopoly over his entire he solar system in months, soon after that he expanded further and further, odds are you will find an HMC facility on most planets worth mining as he owns over 1/3 of all colonized planets mining rights. As you could imagine, HMC is now the largest company in the galaxy, making Henson a very wealthy and influential man. Hower his face has not been seen in nearly 25 years, leading to numerous conspirathy heroines but nothing for sure is known about his disappearance, he is still under the title of CEO and supposedly is still making business deals and expanding the company, including his first act of opening a research division called "shiva".

Deep space raiders or DSR:

The deep space raiders are a very large collection of retired war vets, bounty hunters, assassins, ex-criminals, and active criminals. Whoever you are and whatever your reasons, if you can kill without remorse and can keep your mouth shut, then your hired. However it comes with condition, there s no going back, once you are told the warp codes to one of their bases, the only way out of the BSR is death. The DSR bases are scattered throughout the space between solar systems, on tiny asteroid clusters right in the center of nowhere. The only way to find these placesis by getting the warp codes to them.

Goliath Security:

He sons mining corp. was getting hit rather consistently by raids and heists on the small but gold rich planet Midus. Having enough of it Henson went all in and hired Goliath Security to clean up the mess. Goliath, not wishing to turn down 10s of billions of dollars quickly deployed a full scale crackdown on the dwarf planet. Bringing in mechs, gravity artillery, railcannons and augmented soldiers, Goliath proved themselves to be a very worthwhile ally to HMC.

Gortis Mining Facility:
(top right): https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 8449c4.jpg
The mining platform was built on Kabaong's surface and quickly dug deeper and deeper into its surface. Once it broke into the cavern beneath, platforms where built allowing for a very vertical base connected by elevator. 
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/attach ... 1427624573 (repeating that top platform all the way down.)

Character creation (don't do this yet): 
Name:
Gender (male or female): 
Faction:
Picture/description:
Lore: (leave blank for now, maybe just a general idea if you want. But I will help with specifics based on your faction choice etc.)
Dirt(put in spoiler):
Weapon: (any scifi weapon you want, just uh... No super death lasers, for the most part combat doesn't care what your weapon it is, just the rp part, dual wielding small weapons and things of that nature count as one weapon.)
Gadget: anything you want, but just one. Think within the realm of, "x4 charges" or "sonar darts" or "hard light shield" you get the idea nothing crazy.
LillyMacow

Postby Biles » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:43 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure about the gameplay mechanics. Sounds a bit more complex than the previous version. The first one seemed easy enough for me to understand and follow. It's the reason why I joined the RP in the first place.
Need some basic Flash character animations? Then stop by at:
Biles' Animation Kit

Current RPs:
n/a
Biles

Previous

Return to Out of Character