D&D 5e: Oils of Melted Steel OOC (Spots Filled)

A forum for recruitment and out-of-character role-play discussion.

Re: D&D 5e: Oils of Melted Steel OOC (Spots Filled)

Postby Vhexo » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:56 pm

Just got back from holiday, will get a sheet up asap but probably not today.
Vhexo

Postby Ocfos » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:41 pm

I'll be adding my sheet for a Gnome Monk once I get on my PC to fetch the link for it.

Will edit it in.
Ocfos

Postby Vhexo » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:47 am

All right, finished up my sheet. Here's Alysra
Vhexo

Postby VintageBass » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:52 pm

So then, this just leaves Riptide.

Oh, and to devilbird, lilbooth and Pheonix, if you guys want to get a character in, then feel free to! I won't mind it and it'll get your characters ready when something goes wrong during the game.

By the way, it's interesting to see the line up we have going on here. Quite the party we have~
"Just because you can put your dick in it, it doesn't mean you can fuck it"
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby Vhexo » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:17 pm

It's a bit worrying we don't have a healer though :p
Vhexo

Postby devilbird » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:12 pm

My character for if I get the chance. If you need any more info, let me know. I could gush about my characters for days.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=892343
devilbird

Postby VintageBass » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Vhexo Wrote:It's a bit worrying we don't have a healer though :p

Asked and you get one!

devilbird Wrote:My character for if I get the chance. If you need any more info, let me know. I could gush about my characters for days.

A description of the character (and a picture would greatly help), a bit of a back story, and also your kinks as well, just so I know what to throw at you and what to keep away.
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby devilbird » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:45 pm

That better?
devilbird

Postby VintageBass » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:52 pm

Yes, and I'll put the kinks and turn-offs in the Other Notes block, just so we're good on that and it's open for us to see.
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:25 pm

Still WIP , Here's the sheet: Victoria Elenwé
Bio
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Victoria is a bastard. Born to a young human noblewoman and charming elven mercenary in the service of her house, Victoria's grandfather was anything but pleased about his illegitimate half-breed granddaughter. Despite his wrath, Victoria's mother loved her daughter and refused to get rid of her and keep her indiscretion a secret. Her father was sent to increasingly dangerous missions, until he didn't returned one day, and her mother was married to a lesser noble house. Still, Victoria's childhood was surprisingly pleasant: her stepfather didn't mind her, and even though she was illegitimate and wouldn't inherit any title or wealth like her younger half-siblings, she was allowed full education befitting a girl from a noble family, with less supervision that allowed her to learn other skills, less accetable to society, but not less useful.

With no inheritance awaiting her, Victoria's only option was to serve her (or rather, her stepfather's) house. Smart, persuasive and well educated, serving as an ambassador to the court and other noble houses was a natural position for her. Despite being a bastard, she was more acceptable to the aristocracy than commoners, even if she's not entirely considered one of them. And her other skills allow her to serve in another role, as a spy.

Even with her position, Victoria is not satisfied. Proper nobles look down upon her for her origins. She's better than normal humans... her elven blood gives her keener senses, longer life, stronger mind, and she's magically gifted too. She's the eldest daughter and the title and wealth should be hers. But the only way that could happen would be if her mother married her father (impossible now, even if she wouln't be disinherited for that) or if the king legitimised her claim. Suce, she could propably marry third or so son of a minor noble house, but that wouldn't be much better than her current situation. She could continue her career in diplomacy and backstabbing and have a comfortable life, but she wants more. Becoming an adventurer is a great option: it's dangerous, but successful adventurers often amass great wealth, fame, and are sometimes granted noble titles. Sure, many more adventurers end up dead and forgotten, but how could she fail? She can wield a blade (somewhat) proficiently, knows magic (even if her spells aren't very suited to combat), she's stealthy, smart (though maybe not as smart as she thinks), have a gift for dealing with people (are goblins, undead, demons and weird monsters people, though?) and she's got... if not friends, then at least contacts amongst nobility, which gives her an advantage when looking for jobs.

Few technical questions

It's a character I've made for somewhat GoT-inspired game that never started due to GM's RL problems, only translated to english. I don't like default bard fluff, the idea of magical minstrel singing at monsters in dungeon is silly, I prefer to use the bard class to represent diverse, jack-of-all-trades character. That said, I'd like to ask for few changes. In descending order of importance:
  1. I'd like to change bard's spellcasting focus from a music instrument to normal arcane casting focus (wand, staff, orb, etc.), and accordingly, change starting musical instrument to arcane focus or component pouch (instruments cost more on average, so it's not much of an advantage money-wise)
  2. I'd like to change two starting music instument proficiencies to proficiency in tool, specifically a Poisoner's kit. In theory, the value of proficiencies should be equal, but I feel it's not true, thus 2 proficiencies for 1
  3. Less importantly, I'd like to change weapon proficiencies with longsword and hand crossbow to scimitar and whip. Scimitar does less damage than longsword, but it's a finesse weapon. It's comparable to shortsword, but with a different damage type (and more stylish). I wouldn't use longsword anyway due to low Str. Whip is melee-ish weapon (It's got reach), less damage than hand crossbow (and bards were proficient with whips in 3.5, I dunno why it was changed to h-xbow in 5e). Both proposed changes are style choices, though admittedly somewhat mechanically better for this character
Another thing is variant background feature for noble background from PHB: Retainers instead of Position of privilege. I feel that it fits the character better, it gives me 3 non-combat NPC servants. Is the feature available, and can I create them? I'll use standard feature if introducing extra NPCs would cause any problems. Relevant rule is in the notes on the character sheet.
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby lilbooth » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:46 am

VintageBass Wrote:
Oh, and to devilbird, lilbooth and Pheonix, if you guys want to get a character in, then feel free to! I won't mind it and it'll get your characters ready when something goes wrong during the game.

Working on a sheet now. Party does seem to be missing some healing overall, not sure what riptide is planning on playing but I could possibly make a paladin/cleric. Leaning towards paladin. here are my rolls btw

I really like purple.
lilbooth

Postby VintageBass » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:13 am

lilbooth Wrote:

... GEEZUS, if it weren't for that 9, that's pretty damn impressive in terms of rolls! Also, considering that devilbird has the cleric, you're going to probably be one buffed paladin with those...

I would think, anyway.
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby Vhexo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:29 pm

Has someone PM'd this to Riptide btw? Maybe he hasn't seen this yet.

EDIT: Just did that JIC
Vhexo

Postby VintageBass » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:41 pm

I'll note them about it. It's more than likely they saw (Spots Filled) and didn't think about looking (and I don't blame them for it, that's my bad on my part), and hopefully I can get everyone in here by Wednesday. I'll see about getting the game up on Friday and we'll take it from there!
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby lilbooth » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:00 pm

Here is the link to the character http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=895998

And here is the backstory

Verrona was born on the edge of civilization within the fey wilds. Her parents were par of a tribe of nomadic wood elves who gave worship to Auril, the goddess of winter. It was commonplace for female children to be born in semblance to the goddess, particularly her white hair. Verronna however, was adorned with several other gifts, most notably thin pure-white scales that covered portions of her body. Her tribe was thousands of years old but held very high standards of its members. Each family head, usually a male wood elf (though other races have had temporary stints within the tribe) much show great prowess in martial skills and magical potential. According to the elders, it had been over a thousand years since the blood of dragon was found within one of the tribe's members, though the stories tribes origin contain countless tales of legendary warriors imbued with draconic power. Her early life consisted of rugged training in hunting, elven combat, and the wielding of her powers. Her life was difficult at times, but overcoming those difficulties made it that much more enjoyable. She was near fifty years old when her life changed forever. It was a terribly cold winter, a gift, or punishment, from Auril most likely. That, coupled with a rampant disease of unknown origin, wreaked havoc on the tribe's numbers. Within months a tribe of nearly forty indivituals was reduced to one. Why Verrona survived is still a mystery, but she will not waste a day in the rest of her hopefully long life looking at the past.
I really like purple.
lilbooth

Postby VintageBass » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:04 am

All right, I'm letting you know that I am going ahead with this and will first be doing some posts elsewhere, with this being the last. So hopefully I can get this up by Saturday, and hopefully we can get this going rather quickly.

I am aiming to do Friday updates, if not Saturday. Do remind me by then.
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby DomJoe » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:33 pm

Hey Bass, is this still gonna happen, or did something come up?
DomJoe

Postby VintageBass » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:51 am

By "something came up," it's more me getting easily distracted by games and the like.

Really I am still going to make this happen. I do have an opening post in the works, my only problem is keeping concentration. I will get it done for you guys and I will keep to my schedule to make sure that we will get this game going.

By the way, just wondering, do all of you want to be in a group coming in or do you want to be separated and then come together?
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby Ocfos » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:45 am

VintageBass Wrote:By the way, just wondering, do all of you want to be in a group coming in or do you want to be separated and then come together?

I know my Monk is a wanderer, so she'd probably fit best if she started split.
Ocfos

Postby lilbooth » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:54 am

I'm fine with either one. We've got two forest-dwelling folks, a criminal, a pirate, and a noble. Seems like the forest people have a good chance of bumping into each other. I think my character would probably through in with some criminals upon making port but Elia is seeking out redemption and the criminal life was forced upon her. So I doubt they would really hit it off. People of the forgotten realms often times bring Clerics of Umberlee along with them for voyages across the sea, so if anyone is coming from a far away land that would be an easy way to have some of the characters meet up. A noble like Garian could afford passage on such a voyage. Just throwing out some ideas here.
I really like purple.
lilbooth

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Character